Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap: Nick Vigil/Rey M/Burfict
Camp isn't here yet.... still have a long time before training camp.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 11:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Camp isn't here yet.... still have a long time before training camp.

I think it was on the website that I saw an interview with Burfict and he acknowledged, without mention of it on the interviewer end, that he needed to a lose some weight before camp.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2016, 05:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's still May.  Not worried about the winter bellies of a couple of veteran LBs.

I agree, I think they both will be in shape by the fall.  The point that Dave Lapham made, that I agree with, is that Vontaze Burfict should keep off the extra weight because of his knee issue.  Excess weight strains the knees, causing cartilage to wear away.

http://www.arthritis.org/about-arthritis/where-it-hurts/knee-pain/knee-care/lose-weight-knee-pain.php
Reply/Quote
These guys sacrifice and work hard 7-8 months out of the year. If they want to ease up and put on a couple lbs over the spring...good for them. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 01:06 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: I agree, I think they both will be in shape by the fall.  The point that Dave Lapham made, that I agree with, is that Vontaze Burfict should keep off the extra weight because of his knee issue.  Excess weight strains the knees, causing cartilage to wear away.

http://www.arthritis.org/about-arthritis/where-it-hurts/knee-pain/knee-care/lose-weight-knee-pain.php

Good point, indeed.  Each pound of body weight is #4 of pressure on each knee.  I guess I was thinking that I have never known Vontaze to have the lean and "sculpted" look about his physique.  His body style is much stronger and explosive, than one would give credit for, at first glance.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the NFL, as well as the Bengals in particular, have had plenty of guys that look like Tarzan, play like Jane.

Maualuga, on the other hand, is a different story.  as he had trouble going sideline to sideline quickly, even when he was young and lean.  I would think that as he continues to age, he may be best suited as an ILB in a 3-4 type of alignment. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Rey M and Burfict are 2 of the heaviest LBs in the NFL on game days........5 or 10 lbs to them is 2 days of training camp water weight..........i luv that both are Cincy Bengals and not worried 1 bit about either..............the Reds suck..............bring on football

Vigil is gonna be a beast learning from the slowest but best LB in the NFL............this D is could be better than 2015
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 01:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: These guys sacrifice and work hard 7-8 months out of the year. If they want to ease up and put on a couple lbs over the spring...good for them. 

This seems to be the Bengals philosophy. Remember we have James Harrison playing for us at his heaviest playing weight in his career and he was a non-factor. One year later, back in Pittsburgh, 15+ lighter, and he returns to form.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 03:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good point, indeed.  Each pound of body weight is #4 of pressure on each knee.  I guess I was thinking that I have never known Vontaze to have the lean and "sculpted" look about his physique.  His body style is much stronger and explosive, than one would give credit for, at first glance.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the NFL, as well as the Bengals in particular, have had plenty of guys that look like Tarzan, play like Jane.

Maualuga, on the other hand, is a different story.  as he had trouble going sideline to sideline quickly, even when he was young and lean.  I would think that as he continues to age, he may be best suited as an ILB in a 3-4 type of alignment. 
He may be best suited for Nutrisystem.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 05:24 PM)tlotharw Wrote: He may be best suited for Nutrisystem.

Lol, good form! Hilarious

However, my original position still remains.  It's not even June.  They still have minicamp, and other OTAs, before actual training camp arrives.  Once Maualuga gets out of his offseason routine, and has to get up every morning and be accountable to the team, he will drop weight faster a prom dress at the after party..

Burfict, I'm not so worried about.  Not only does he have the same accountability to the team, but he also has an extra 3 weeks of suspension to do nothing but condition and finish his rehab.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 05:23 PM)tlotharw Wrote: This seems to be the Bengals philosophy.  Remember we have James Harrison playing for us at his heaviest playing weight in his career and he was a non-factor.  One year later, back in Pittsburgh, 15+ lighter, and he returns to form.

Well, it also might have helped that he was back in a system that fit his talents better...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Lap did say that Tez was just a little over weight and not a big deal. But Rey had a ways to go.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 09:39 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lap did say that Tez was just a little over weight and not a big deal. But Rey had a ways to go.

Vontaze has til October to work that weight off... no sweat.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2016, 03:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: On the radio lap says vigil looks like a Vet.     Also says Rey and Burfict are overweight.    Says burfict is slightly overweight but Rey is carrying way too much.    

I wonder how Vigil handles the physicality....   And could this be the last year of Rey starting?   

Could be some interesting dynamics in the middle of the defense.

Vigil is smart and has rare LB talents. Should be a great pick the more i hear and see about the dude.

Billings made it all good. Smirk

No big deal for the proven vets to be a little overweight this time of year.

Gotta have someone to replace Maualuga if that is what you are speaking of, he is the only run stopping thumper we have after all.
Reply/Quote
Maualuga got that ridiculous money in 2015 from the frontloaded contract (6th highest cap hit among all ILB in the NFL last year), and now he can slack off because he already got paid. Once he gets his roster bonus this year, he'll have seen $8m of the $15m deal without getting a single bit of his 2016 base pay.

Only has a base salary of $2.6m this year, so he's added 2.6 stone to his stomach. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Why are all my posts going underneath my avatar BTW?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 10:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Vigil is smart and has rare LB talents. Should be a great pick the more i hear and see about the dude.

Billings made it all good. Smirk

No big deal for the proven vets to be a little overweight this time of year.

Gotta have someone to replace Maualuga if that is what you are speaking of, he is the only run stopping thumper we have after all.

Didn't we all say the same things about Dawson, last year, about this time??

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 11:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Didn't we all say the same things about Dawson, last year, about this time??

Dawson had the awareness. But not the athleticism.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 01:28 AM)tlotharw Wrote: Primrose Lane, life's a holiday on Primrose Lane.

[Image: eeyore-1.gif]
Reply/Quote
We're still early in the off season.

It's very possible that Rey stayed out of the gym to let his body heal as well as taking some necessary R&R / vacation time.

Those two things are going to add some pounds to you.

With that said, we've heard over the years about Rey's off season work with Ignition Sports, so my guess is that will begin in earnest now that things are about to ramp up again.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2016, 05:54 PM)CincyKid Wrote: is it possible we are better after losing Reggie and Leon ?

It could be possible, but we have to wait and see.

If we sign Freeney then I say we will be better.  We will have lost two really good players from positions where we had depth and added two players (Dansby, Freeney) at positions where we were thin.
Reply/Quote