Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap's training camp report
(08-01-2017, 10:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Indeed.  Following that rookie year there were more than a few people who were ready to make the guy the center of the franchise to the point where players and coaches may have to be altered in order to ensure Hill running the ball is the foremost feature of the Bengals.  I'd wager Mixon will be good, but the Mixon hype just reminds me of how absurdly smug we were that Hill was going to run over the entire NFL at one point so it is amusing that part of making sure the 2017 Bengals are a success is to do anything to keep Hill from getting the ball.

Circle of life, and all that.

It's like the old song said--"When you're hot you're hot.  When you're not you're not."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 02:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Some of those RBs are also just old (for a RB).

Frank Gore: 34-years-old
Jonathan Stewart: 30-years-old
Matt Forte: 31-years-old

Really I think the only guy on that list who can have some claim that surrounding talent as his reason is Todd Gurley. Even then I wonder how much it is that. Steven Jackson was also surrounded by shitty Rams team after shitty Rams team yet only had under 4.1 YPC once in 9 years with the Rams.

Adrian Peterson had Christian Ponder and Percy Harvin as his QB/WR1 when he ran for 2k.
Chris Johnson had Vince Young/Kerry Collins and Kenny Britt as his QBs/WR1 when he ran for 2k.

Good RBs find a way. Hill has sucked 66.7% of his career, Gio sucked last year, and I really don't want to cheer for Mixon. Hence my frustration.

Melvin Gordon had some weapons, but lost their best WR and his game suffered.  And say what you will about their ages, but Forte and Gore are legit RBs.  Heck, Gore might be a HOF back.  

I hear ya about Steven Jackson and AP, but those guys were massive, one-dimensional backs in the prime of their careers.  

Really, really good RBs like Corey Dillon do find a way to do better than 4 ypc, but the combination of our line and the dearth of offensive weapons due to injuries took Hill from a solid back to a below average back.  I also think Hill's one-dimensional skill set (not good in blitz pick up, not a great route runner) led to some of his struggles.  If the Bengals were smart, they would utilize Hill more as a receiver as he seems to catch the ball the few times it is thrown to him and try to ease off some of the run stuffing rush.  

I love Gio and I am warming up to Mixon.  I wanted him to get a second chance, but would have preferred it be some other team that gave him that chance.  At this point, I am thinking he will improve the Bengal's chances of giving a big old shitburger to the NFL and Roger Goodell, and I'm all for that.  

Hill was contrite after that fumble, and Marv was as much to blame for not just taking a knee.  I think he has been a stand up guy since he has been here and I hope he has a resurgence that leads to a second contract, albeit likely for another team.

The bottom line for me it:  All of these RBs are going to have a lot more fun this year with the offensive firepower spreading out defenses.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 09:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't understand how people think that guys don't want Hill to succeed.  Of course we all want him to succeed, hell, I was so upset initially with the Mixon pick, I wanted Jeremy to have a career year and force the rook to ride the pine.  No one WANTS Hill to be a turd, he just has been on his own.  I don't see the issue in pointing that out.  I'm pulling for him, like I do all Bengals, but he's just not been all that great lately.  I guess the main problem is that he had a great rookie year, then followed it with two rather average years.

Yeah, and i am one who loved the Mixon pick and would of been just as happy with Dalvin Cook who was your guy Wyche.

We all want Hill to succeed is the truth, personally though i don't see it happening and expect Mixon to succeed.

Hopefully Gio as well gets back to his old self.
Reply/Quote
I mean just imagine a backfield with:

- A Giovani Bernard that is in return to form
- A Jeremy Hill that is in return to form
- A Joe Mixon that lives up to the hype
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 12:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, and i am one who loved the Mixon pick and would of been just as happy with Dalvin Cook who was your guy Wyche.

We all want Hill to succeed is the truth, personally though i don't see it happening and expect Mixon to succeed.

Hopefully Gio as well gets back to his old self.

Yeah....I know you were on board with it from the get go....and yes, I am a FSU homer...lol.  Cook had his issues too, he just wasn't on film decking a chick.  I guess that was the difference for me....hopefully the kid stays clean.

If all three go on a tear, we'll have a very good problem to have. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 01:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah....I know you were on board with it from the get go....and yes, I am a FSU homer...lol.  Cook had his issues too, he just wasn't on film decking a chick.  I guess that was the difference for me....hopefully the kid stays clean.

You guys are going 11-5 or better this year. I guarantee it. Hopefully Pittsburgh goes down the drain.
Reply/Quote
Although this article is about Ced. It mentions a couple things abut Jake that are encouraging:
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Munoz-a-word-from-Canton-for-Ced/2e011876-6b0c-406d-989b-7c14b9f260f9

Quote:Lapham agrees with one club assessment that right tackle Jake Fisher has been their most consistent lineman of the first week after putting on what he calls “30 good pounds,” after an offseason of redistributing it.
 “Snap in and snap out he’s been as good as any of them,” Lapham says.

My only gripe about going Ced-Jake back to back is that they were both built like a LT. Jake at 330ish may become my favorite olineman on the squad.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 01:04 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I mean just imagine a backfield with:

This.

If the running game is even above average, this team will roll...

Hell, I think they will roll regardless, but it would sure be nice to keep opposing defenses guessing.  
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 07:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Although this article is about Ced. It mentions a couple things abut Jake that are encouraging:
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Munoz-a-word-from-Canton-for-Ced/2e011876-6b0c-406d-989b-7c14b9f260f9

My only gripe about going Ced-Jake back to back is that they were both built like a LT. Jake at 330ish may become my favorite olineman on the squad.

I'm with you.  And maybe Jake ends up over there if Ced can't hack it.  I love what seems to be some fire in the belly of Fish, and he played pretty well considering how much they messed around with him before giving him the nod last year.  

And will you stop being purple!  I keep trying to rep you...
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 01:04 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I mean just imagine a backfield with:

I keep coming back to, I don't think a 3 back rotation is good for any of them to get into any sort of groove. Heck I think a two back rotation should go out the window if one guy finds his groove mid game.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 01:52 PM)packerbacker Wrote: You guys are going 11-5 or better this year. I guarantee it. Hopefully Pittsburgh goes down the drain.

[Image: 8wwps.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 12:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hill is the question. Mixon is already showing just what i thought. He is way beyond Hill already.

Gio and Mixon look great. No reason to talk about the meh Hill.

Got down to 335, might be able to take that spot from Glasgow yah never know.

We all know that Topou is a great run stopper, just would like to see a touch of a pass rush from the big man.

Sounds like a better Peko to me, one trick pony which is why i am hoping either Topou or Glasgow show more than just stopping the run.
damn I forgot about Glasgow
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 07:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Although this article is about Ced. It mentions a couple things abut Jake that are encouraging:

Not sure what "30 good pounds" means, but there is no way someone is putting on 30 lbs of muscle in 6 months. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 09:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And will you stop being purple!  I keep trying to rep you...

Couple more months. Pretty sure we are going for some sort of record. But it's the thought that counts. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Couple more months. Pretty sure we are going for some sort of record. But it's the thought that counts. 

Months!  Geez, the season in starting!  
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 11:35 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not sure what "30 good pounds" means, but there is no way someone is putting on 30 lbs of muscle in 6 months. 

That's implying professional athletes don't cycle steroids; which it would easily be possible to gain 30 lbs of muscle/water weight in 6 months if you were juicing. Some steroids only have a half life of a few weeks, so they just need to stop about a month before they know they're about to be tested.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 10:30 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: That's implying professional athletes don't cycle steroids; which it would easily be possible to gain 30 lbs of muscle/water weight in 6 months if you were juicing. Some steroids only have a half life of a few weeks, so they just need to stop about a month before they know they're about to be tested.

The NFL performance enhancing testing cycle is year round, so you're not getting a couple weeks notice. You get 48 hours notice to appear before a tester or you are given an automatic positive. They can be tested 6 times in the off season and 24 times total for the year.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 11:35 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not sure what "30 good pounds" means, but there is no way someone is putting on 30 lbs of muscle in 6 months. 

While I would tend to agree, it wouldn't be impossible to get to maybe like 2/3 of that. If all he did was train and eat right for 6 months, on a frame like his you could probably make gains of 1 lb a week especially on a frame like that. Keep in mind that an OL is almost twice the size of a normal male and have access to best workout/nutrition regimen in the world.

I quickly found this on google... (so considering he is twice a normal human and if he is on the high side maybe 1 lb a week)

"Based on all of this, here's how fast you can expect to build muscle on average: Average Natural MAN: between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of muscle per week (or about 1-2 pounds of muscle gained per month). Average Natural WOMAN: between 0.12 – 0.25 pounds of muscle per week (or about 0.5-1 pound of muscle gained per month).Apr 16, 2017"
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 01:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah....I know you were on board with it from the get go....and yes, I am a FSU homer...lol.  Cook had his issues too, he just wasn't on film decking a chick.  I guess that was the difference for me....hopefully the kid stays clean.

The repeat offenses are what gave me Cook pause yah know Wyche.

Atleast with Mixon it was a one time thing.

He sure seems like he is staying clean and you are right if all 3 of these backs play well it will be awesome for this team.

Be tough to beat. :andy:

(08-03-2017, 10:17 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: damn I forgot about Glasgow

Haven't heard much about the man in TC, but liked the pick.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 12:00 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: While I would tend to agree, it wouldn't be impossible to get to maybe like 2/3 of that.  If all he did was train and eat right for 6 months, on a frame like his you could probably make gains of 1 lb a week especially on a frame like that. Keep in mind that an OL is almost twice the size of a normal male and have access to best workout/nutrition regimen in the world.

I quickly found this on google... (so considering he is twice a normal human and if he is on the high side maybe 1 lb a week)

"Based on all of this, here's how fast you can expect to build muscle on average: Average Natural MAN: between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of muscle per week (or about 1-2 pounds of muscle gained per month). Average Natural WOMAN: between 0.12 – 0.25 pounds of muscle per week (or about 0.5-1 pound of muscle gained per month).Apr 16, 2017"

Be careful of some of those stats.  They like to take average, sedentary people, and suddenly have them eat carefully monitored diets and exercise regiments.  For an athlete already used to a training table, lifting programs, and conditioning schemes, the gains aren't nearly as maximal as someone getting off of the couch for the first time in years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote