Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham's 1st Round Prediction
(04-26-2023, 05:06 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: He's only 5'9, so if Forbes, and Ringo are gone I say we go TE or best OL.   I'm thinking Safety in R2 Antonio Johnson or Jordan Battle.

Why go safety before Day 3?
Don't you wanna see how Hill and Scott do before looking to potentially replace one of them?
If they do well, you essentially just used a 2nd rounder to be a multi-year backup, which is non-ideal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why go safety before Day 3?
Don't you wanna see how Hill and Scott do before looking to potentially replace one of them?
If they do well, you essentially just used a 2nd rounder to be a multi-year backup, which is non-ideal.

The second-round pick will be interesting.  If we're parting ways with Mixon, then I see us taking Charbonnet from UCLA.  If we're keeping Mixon and IF Johnson or Battle are available then I say take them.  With both Bell and Bates leaving, those are some big shoes to fill, and having a box safety that can function as another LB is key in the AFC North. I'm not too worried about Bell but Scott does worry me, just as the jury will be out but its a gamble either way.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:02 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: The second-round pick will be interesting.  If we're parting ways with Mixon, then I see us taking Charbonnet from UCLA.  If we're keeping Mixon and IF Johnson or Battle are available then I say take them.  With both Bell and Bates leaving, those are some big shoes to fill, and having a box safety that can function as another LB is key in the AFC North. I'm not too worried about Bell but Scott does worry me, just as the jury will be out but its a gamble either way.

At some point we need to start addressing our pass rush and our offensive line.  Running backs are a dime a dozen.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:02 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: The second-round pick will be interesting.  If we're parting ways with Mixon, then I see us taking Charbonnet from UCLA.  If we're keeping Mixon and IF Johnson or Battle are available then I say take them.  With both Bell and Bates leaving, those are some big shoes to fill, and having a box safety that can function as another LB is key in the AFC North. I'm not too worried about Bell but Scott does worry me, just as the jury will be out but its a gamble either way.

Personally, I'd rather give Scott, Hill, and Anderson a chance to show what they can do this season.
Then if things aren't working out, look for a new safety next offseason.
I just hate potentially wasting draft picks just because we haven't seen guys play yet.
TE, RB, CB, OL, and DL seem like higher priorities than safety to me.
I'm game for taking a depth guy on Day 3 to compete with Thomas and Anderson for backup responsibilities though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: At some point we need to start addressing our pass rush and our offensive line.  Running backs are a dime a dozen.  

With Darnell Wright projected to go 15-20, the best ROT would be McClendon and I think he's a 4th or later-rounder.  I like Dawand Jones, but I don't like that he's been MIA, plus everyone is jumping up and down about our draft history in taking an OL as our #1.  I can see us getting a pass rusher in R3 someone like Kobie Turner- GA Tech with a pass rush grade of 89 and a run defense grade of 93.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: At some point we need to start addressing our pass rush and our offensive line.  Running backs are a dime a dozen.  

Decent RBs are, but the top guys are mostly 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft picks.
If I'm interpreting correctly what you're saying though, it's that you're fine just having a decent RB given the Bengals are more of a passing offense, and in which case I agree.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Personally, I'd rather give Scott, Hill, and Anderson a chance to show what they can do this season.
Then if things aren't working out, look for a new safety next offseason.
I just hate potentially wasting draft picks just because we haven't seen guys play yet.
TE, RB, CB, OL, and DL seem like higher priorities than safety to me.
I'm game for taking a depth guy on Day 3 to compete with Thomas and Anderson for backup responsibilities though.

The decision of what we're going to do with Mixon will be key for R2.  I think we're keeping him but he's taking a pay cut.  The Premier TEs will be gone in R1 before we have a chance, but I think we can get Payne Durham-Perdue in R5 or 6.  I'd also like to get a backup QB in R6 or 7, like Jack Haener-Fresno or Clayton Tune-Houston as these guys have big arms.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:40 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: The decision of what we're going to do with Mixon will be key for R2.  I think we're keeping him but he's taking a pay cut.  The Premier TEs will be gone in R1 before we have a chance, but I think we can get Payne Durham-Perdue in R5 or 6.  I'd also like to get a backup QB in R6 or 7, like Jack Haener-Fresno or Clayton Tune-Houston as these guys have bug arms.  

I like Payne Durham as a blocker and a pure safety net, but he's not dynamic enough to be a true TE1. He's a pure TE2 in my eyes.
I don't see Irv Smith being here beyond this year, he's just a stopgap.
Bengals need a more long-term TE1, personal opinion.

I dunno how I feel about keeping Mixon, honestly.
It's not good if you're getting taken off the field in passing situations in favor of a RB who can pass block.
Him getting benched in favor of Perine at critical points in games last year really made up my mind.
I guess I have to accept if he stays on the team, but I really want someone else at this point.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Decent RBs are, but the top guys are mostly 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft picks.
If I'm interpreting correctly what you're saying though, it's that you're fine just having a decent RB given the Bengals are more of a passing offense, and in which case I agree.

Pretty much.  I also think we can get a guy like Johnson or Spears for the "committee" later on.

I don't think RT is in play at 28, but there should be some guys that can help on with the pass rush.  Of course, drafting 28, you just never know who will be there.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:06 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Pretty much.  I also think we can get a guy like Johnson or Spears for the "committee" later on.

I don't think RT is in play at 28, but there should be some guys that can help on with the pass rush.  Of course, drafting 28, you just never know who will be there.

The more I think about it, I like a RB in the middle rounds.
Roschon Johnson, Tyjae Spears, or Chase Brown.
Chase Brown has about the best blocking of them, but Johnson is not too far behind and he's ideal size.
He may not be as fast as Spears or Brown, but he's got a versatile skillset that I think will work well with the Bengals, especially if paired with Gibbs.
You'd hate to have your RB1 taken off the field for any reason though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The more I think about it, I like a RB in the middle rounds.
Roschon Johnson, Tyjae Spears, or Chase Brown.
Chase Brown has about the best blocking of them, but Johnson is not too far behind and he's ideal size.
He may not be as fast as Spears or Brown, but he's got a versatile skillset that I think will work well with the Bengals, especially if paired with Gibbs.
You'd hate to have your RB1 taken off the field for any reason though.

What they do in the next 3 days will really speak volumes.  What I really want to know though, is what in the hell is going on with Chris Evans?  Watching him early on, I though he would be everything that we need - pass catcher, runner etc.  He broke long runs in preseason and made big plays in the passing game during the season.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: What they do in the next 3 days will really speak volumes.  What I really want to know though, is what in the hell is going on with Chris Evans?  Watching him early on, I though he would be everything that we need - pass catcher, runner etc.  He broke long runs in preseason and made big plays in the passing game during the season.

No clue.
His usage definitely dropped from his rookie season.
He's got great size for a RB.
Maybe Chris Evans has the skill set and speed necessary to be about on par with Gibbs and we are just not privy to that because we've hardly seen him play.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No clue.
His usage definitely dropped from his rookie season.
He's got great size for a RB.
Maybe Chris Evans has the skill set and speed necessary to be about on par with Gibbs and we are just not privy to that because we've hardly seen him play.

Remember some of his plays though?  Had the great catch against Detroit.  Looked like a difference maker at RB.  Maybe he's finally ready.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Remember some of his plays though?  Had the great catch against Detroit.  Looked like a difference maker at RB.  Maybe he's finally ready.

I honestly remember none of his plays.
But FWIW, there are very few plays I ever remember from any player.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote