Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham thinks Bengals should trade McCarron
To be fair, giving up a first round pick for McCarron, who has at least started a few NFL games, is no more of a gamble than spending a first-round pick on a QB fresh out of college.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 12:45 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: There's no reason to keep McCarron. He wants to start and that's just not going to happen in Cincinnati. Unfortunately, I think the Bengals waited too long and lost a lot of leverage. If the rumors of a 2nd and 4th are true, they should have made that trade last season. If they can still get a 2nd+, that would be great, but I'm not counting on it. I highly doubt they get a 1st for McCarron. I don't see why any team would pay that price.

Bengals fans ALWAYS overvalue our players. If someone who wasn't a fan or was a very casual fan read these forums, they'd be led to believe that Chris Henry was a Hall of Famer and Chad Johnson is hot garbage. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one. McCarron isn't worth a 1st and his limited playing time didn't make him look like he's worth a 1st either. There's only 1 QB on the Bengals team worth a 1st round pick and he'll be starting next season. His name is NOT AJ McCarron.
why would any team pay almost 90 million for oswieler? It's the position and every team is gonna over pay that doesn't have a legit qb. 
Reply/Quote
I don't know about that one. Why would you take a first round pick set him on the bench and use him sparingly? He played well the year b4 when Dalton was hurt. I would have played him more this year since nobody else on the the team stepped up to the plate and took a leadership role. At least he would have gotten a few more reps than he got last year. Who knows, maybe he could have turned things around? Bang Head Bang Head
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A 2nd and 4th would be great value for McCarron. Honestly i would take just a 4th rounder for him.

He was drafted in the 5th round afterall. So this would even be some value.

Agree and at this point that is what we will be lucky to get.

But we had leverage before this season and during when Bridgewater was hurt. 

If we do not at least get a 4th would just bite the bullet and keep him for one more year of insurance and let him walk for free. 

At this juncture would be shopping him for a 2nd and pounce on a 3rd if offered and or would settle for a 4th. 

Holding on to him this last season was a foolish mistake that many on here supported. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'd have been on the phone to the 49ers as soon as the season ended. I'd be ecstatic taking the 2nd pick in the 2nd Round for McCarron. We could even package him with some of our comp picks for the 2nd pick overall, but that's probably not going to happen.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Yeah maybe you're right, but i would like to see them pick that Barnett kid from Tenn. But don't know if he'll be available in first round Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 02:33 PM)Big Boss Wrote: To be fair, giving up a first round pick for McCarron, who has at least started a few NFL games, is no more of a gamble than spending a first-round pick on a QB fresh out of college.

McCarron filled in admirably, but I'm not sure I'd say a handful of games would make a 27 year old who was a 5th rounder equal to a 1st round rookie, even-steven and so on.  Even though McCarron is 20 years younger than some of the QBs teams are trotting out there, trading for him would be a "gotta win now or you lose your job" move compared to drafting a new QB.

Just my take on it.  Fans say they want to see young players and take chances, etc, but as soon as the losses start piling up they want the HC and GM (and the people that are in power to play the young guys and take chances) fired.  It's pretty much what the Jets did this year.
Reply/Quote