Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larry Sharpe - Libertarian
I'm curious to see, how many of you have listened to Larry Sharpe ?
(I know a few of you have)
He was nearly Johnson's running mate, for the 2016 presidential election.

This gentleman, to me, totally gets it and is the catalyst to expanding the base of the Libertarian Party.
The man just exudes common sense, with the ability to present Libertarian ideas to people, without scaring them off.
He is also accessible.
Although extremely brief, he's taken time for a small interaction with a chump like me.
Larry is currently launching an exploratory committee to become governor of NY.

Here is one of his latest convention speeches, let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/ynNy6DoEa2Y

I'll also add his bio story...

https://youtu.be/bLKy6TVs5qY
hes more on the radical end than Gary, but I really agree with his emphasis on the need to educate and introduce the concepts of reduced government. One of the biggest issues facing libertarians is the fear many politicians use to get legislation and funding passed.

we've become a culture easily terrified by drugs, the threat of violence, perceived racism, a lack of cheap gas, etc. Politicians use that, people are accustomed to it. And it makes it hard when you say "hey, we need to stop subsidizing big oil and limit the EPA to matters between states." 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I think Gary is a little more radical than he led on.
He was smart to play the calm moderate though.
It helped triple the base.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
*bump*

For Hollo...
(02-18-2017, 12:23 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: *bump*

For Hollo...

Yeah found it already :)

I'm listening in right now, but I have to fill my nights with different things than US politics for once... I spend too much time on that special hobby of mine as it is, and the libertarian stance isn't really mine. 
Listening in, the first thing I have to say is that I believe in government. And pretty much take the stances Larry Sharpe points out as the common fears. 
What is "scary" for me is not the sense of freedom, but the sense of anarchy. I don't think mankind is noble enough to live in this kind of rule-free freedom. His kind of freedom requires responsibility, he says. Yep, and we're not fit for that kind of rensponsibilty. Society needs certain rules, rules need empowerment, that's how I see it. A laissez faire approach and handling possible "injustices" only as soon as they really appear, some kind of "ad hoc" lawmaking, I don't know, that doesn't seem to be a good, fair idea. Don't see it working. For me this total freedom idea promotes a system designed for the most ruthless and unethical people to become the most successful. In short, I simply am not a libertarian.

And I think there are global topics that require political leadership, like dealing with war and conflicts and terrorism, or climate change, or the Caymans :)

And who would actually build the roads?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-18-2017, 12:55 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah found it already :)

I'm listening in right now, but I have to fill my nights with different things than US politics for once... I spend too much time on that special hobby of mine as it is, and the libertarian stance isn't really mine. 
Listening in, the first thing I have to say is that I believe in government. And pretty much take the stances Larry Sharpe points out as the common fears. 
What is "scary" for me is not the sense of freedom, but the sense of anarchy. I don't think mankind is noble enough to live in this kind of rule-free freedom. His kind of freedom requires responsibility, he says. Yep, and we're not fit for that kind of rensponsibilty. Society needs certain rules, rules need empowerment, that's how I see it. A laissez faire approach and handling possible "injustices" only as soon as they really appear, some kind of "ad hoc" lawmaking, I don't know, that doesn't seem to be a good, fair idea. Don't see it working. For me this total freedom idea promotes a system designed for the most ruthless and unethical people to become the most successful. In short, I simply am not a libertarian.

And I think there are global topics that require political leadership, like dealing with war and conflicts and terrorism, or climate change, or the Caymans :)

And who would actually build the roads?

I do actually agree with you.
There would still need to be a small level of government.
Therefore, I would be a minarchist.
Anarchy is much like Communism in that it kind of looks ok on paper, but man is so corruptable.

As far as the global issues to be addressed, the minimal government could handle some small things, but I believe that people who are leaders in their fields/scholars would volunteer their services to address pressing issues.
Science and diplomacy would not disappear, simply because we remove the government's control and financing of it.

OMG..... MUH ROADS !!!!!

Ok..... not a lot of interest on this thread, but I need to check.

I am planning of bringing Larry Sharpe to Ohio to do a fundraiser.
If there is anyone that might be interested, please let me know.
I have no planned venue, as I need a possible head-count.
We are looking at training, a few speeches with Q&A, and possibly a dinner with the man.
He even offered to MC the entire event.

So, just curious.....
(04-08-2017, 11:13 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Ok..... not a lot of interest on this thread, but I need to check.

I am planning of bringing Larry Sharpe to Ohio to do a fundraiser.
If there is anyone that might be interested, please let me know.
I have no planned venue, as I need a possible head-count.
We are looking at training, a few speeches with Q&A, and possibly a dinner with the man.
He even offered to MC the entire event.

So, just curious.....

Apparently I am more of a Libertarian than I thought, because I don't even want to bother with any kind of political fundraisers. The curse of not liking the political machine but needing it to change it. Ninja

You're pretty much shot on everyone else. There's you, me, and maybe one or two others.. the rest are 70% hardcore liberals, and 20% hardcore conservatives.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(04-09-2017, 03:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Apparently I am more of a Libertarian than I thought, because I don't even want to bother with any kind of political fundraisers. The curse of not liking the political machine but needing it to change it. Ninja

You're pretty much shot on everyone else. There's you, me, and maybe one or two others.. the rest are 70% hardcore liberals, and 20% hardcore conservatives.

Understood.

The fund-raiser would be to help ballot access efforts and to help Libertarians campaign for local office.
So, it is attempting to initiate change, from the bottom up.
(02-09-2017, 06:42 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm curious to see, how many of you have listened to Larry Sharpe ?
(I know a few of you have)
He was nearly Johnson's running mate, for the 2016 presidential election.

This gentleman, to me, totally gets it and is the catalyst to expanding the base of the Libertarian Party.
The man just exudes common sense, with the ability to present Libertarian ideas to people, without scaring them off.
He is also accessible.
Although extremely brief, he's taken time for a small interaction with a chump like me.
Larry is currently launching an exploratory committee to become governor of NY.

Here is one of his latest convention speeches, let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/ynNy6DoEa2Y

I'll also add his bio story...

https://youtu.be/bLKy6TVs5qY

Bio feedback:

Sounded a little like the Obama bio at first - is he a secret Kenyan Moose Lamb?

Interesting take on why he joined the Marine Corps - looking for positive male role models. I have never heard a man say that is why he joined the military...

I was a little confused when he talked about his businesses that he never mentioned what they were...

The overriding theme seems to be why we need universal health care, although he never says that, and it is antithetical to libertarian "free market" rhetoric.

What is "the system?" He almost sounds like Bannon railing against "the administrative state" at the end - which is not music to my ears.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
General feedback:

The view count on both videos is very low. This suggests the Libertarian is on the fringe of the fringe, does it not? I mean, if this guy is a national leader and nobody is watching/listening to him, that suggests the party is not terribly relevant.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Feedback on the Mass Convention speech:

I made it to six minutes and yes, Larry, you are very bad at explaining "how to get there."

Here's the game plan you have presented:

We (Libertarians) are pissed off but have to pretend we are not when we talk to other people. Then we can convince them that if we destroy the government and eliminate taxes that we will still have roads. The government won't build roads, but "someone will have to."

So, again, yeah, you are doing a lousy job explaining "how to get there," or you are just incredibly naive - to believe that if we eliminate government or "starve it" all the functions it performs will just magically happen - or maybe both. Yeah, I am going to go with both: you are not good at explaining complex things and you are naive.

Sorry Roto, not an impressive speech.
No problem.
I can understand that view.
The Mass Convention speech was mostly an attempt to get more Libertarians to be moderate.
So many of them become vicious fact-spewing machines and are quite likely on the autistic spectrum.
That's not an insult (to either group), just an observation that maybe Pat can validate.
Those folks make up probably around 40% of the people I've encountered and they are the equivalent of the Evangelicals, in the idea of the strict adherence to their agenda and desire for an aggressive leader.
Another 20% were "Huhha..weed, dude, weeeeed...".
That's not the only part of the platform they support, but they gravitate towards the advocates that highlight that particular issue.
So, that's knocks quite a bit from his "following".

I know his methods are nowhere near complex, but I think his approach is necessary to bring people into having conversations, instead of heated debate.

I appreciate your criticisms and I will go back to re-watch the videos with them in mind.

Oh, and again.... I'm not for fully eliminating the government.
That IS naive.
We need oversight and control of infrastructure.
I just desire the minimal amount to accomplish that.
(04-09-2017, 10:38 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: No problem.
I can understand that view.
The Mass Convention speech was mostly an attempt to get more Libertarians to be moderate.
So many of them become vicious fact-spewing machines and are quite likely on the autistic spectrum.
That's not an insult (to either group), just an observation that maybe Pat can validate.
Those folks make up probably around 40% of the people I've encountered and they are the equivalent of the Evangelicals, in the idea of the strict adherence to their agenda and desire for an aggressive leader.
Another 20% were "Huhha..weed, dude, weeeeed...".
That's not the only part of the platform they support, but they gravitate towards the advocates that highlight that particular issue.
So, that's knocks quite a bit from his "following".

I know his methods are nowhere near complex, but I think his approach is necessary to bring people into having conversations, instead of heated debate.

I appreciate your criticisms and I will go back to re-watch the videos with them in mind.

Oh, and again.... I'm not for fully eliminating the government.
That IS naive.
We need oversight and control of infrastructure.
I just desire the minimal amount to accomplish that.

You do realize Obama shrunk the federal government, right?
(04-09-2017, 04:40 PM)xxlt Wrote: You do realize Obama shrunk the federal government, right?
With appointing 500 Czars ?
Ninja

I had read it somewhere, but don't recall specifically what.

With the current administration, I do not believe I dislike Obama anymore.

(04-09-2017, 05:45 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: With appointing 500 Czars ?
Ninja

I had read it somewhere, but don't recall specifically what.

With the current administration, I do not believe I dislike Obama anymore.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/05/24/who-is-the-smallest-government-spender-since-eisenhower-would-you-believe-its-barack-obama/#23986bd625cf
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/9/federal-workers-hit-record-number-but-growth-slows/
(04-11-2017, 12:20 PM)xxlt Wrote: https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/05/24/who-is-the-smallest-government-spender-since-eisenhower-would-you-believe-its-barack-obama/#23986bd625cf

(04-11-2017, 12:22 PM)xxlt Wrote: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/9/federal-workers-hit-record-number-but-growth-slows/

Thanks !

I'm not going to lie, I bought into some of what FOX was feeding, back in the day.

Since this is a Libertarian thread.....
I wanted to mention I had the pleasure of having a phone conversation with C. Michael Pickens, today.
He is the current Chairman for the Libertarian Party of Washington and author of the book, “Libertarian Leadership.”.
A SUPER nice guy and is running for the National Chair, next election.
(04-12-2017, 01:03 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Thanks !

I'm not going to lie, I bought into some of what FOX was feeding, back in the day.

Since this is a Libertarian thread.....
I wanted to mention I had the pleasure of having a phone conversation with C. Michael Pickens, today.
He is the current Chairman for the Libertarian Party of Washington and author of the book, “Libertarian Leadership.”.
A SUPER nice guy and is running for the National Chair, next election.

We report you decide! Still has to be the most bogus slogan in marketing history...

Careful bro, before you know it you will be having lunches on K Street and forget you ever knew any of us little people. Hilarious

It must be fun for you to pick these guys brains. Good for you!
(04-13-2017, 11:23 AM)xxlt Wrote: Careful bro, before you know it you will be having lunches on K Street and forget you ever knew any of us little people. Hilarious

It must be fun for you to pick these guys brains. Good for you!

LOL... I always speak to everyone.
The only people I cut short are the ones that have went off the deep end.
Sometimes though, I humor them and advance their paranoia and theories.
Oh, wait.... that's here !

But yes, it is quite fun.
Very knowledgeable people, with entrepreneurship sprinkled in.
This is the aspect of the party that I appreciate the most, the personal availability of leadership.
Sure...a newbie might not be able to immediately dial-up the national chairperson, but once you start to network, you can be assured to receive the necessary attention.
I had asked Mr. Pickens about the turnover in leadership.
Apparently they are recommending that leadership roles only last a short period of time (one year at state level).
The belief is that they want you to advance or train, after your term.
The more people to have held positions, the more experience to share and it validates more people within the party.
An interesting concept.

Side note: Even if I were employed on K Street, I'd petition to conduct most of my meetings in Chinatown. I may be swayed consider Pentagon City.