Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last 2 Drafts
TheLeonardLe Wrote:Where did I say long list? I just said yet another, as in there's been ones before him. Keep in mind a good backup, mediocre (at best) starter, or rotational sorta contributor is NOT a hit. We're talking 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks here. They're supposed to be big impacts.

We'll have to see for the 2015 draft, not enough time yet, though none of the first three picks have made a big impact yet, but I generally don't judge a draft until 2 years in.
- - - - - - - - - -

-Darqueze Dennard (24th): MISS Has done nothing.

-Jeremy Hill (55th): UNCLEAR Had 9 amazing games, 23 mediocre/bad games. If he has another 2015, he'll be a bust. If he can turn his 2014 9 week stretch into a 2016 season, he'll be a big hit.

-Will Clarke (88th): MISS! Has done nothing.

-Tyler Eifert (21st): HIT Really needs to stay healthy, though.

-Giovani Bernard (37th): MISS I love Gio, but as a really early 2nd round pick, he's been a miss. Doesn't help both Le'Veon Bell and Eddie Lacy were both taken later in the round.

-Margus Hunt (53rd): MISS Hahahahaha, next time draft football players.

-Shawn Williams (84th): MISS It took Shawn Williams 39 games to get his first career pass defensed. Hopefully he can redeem his pick next year, but it matters less since next year is his contract year, so the value of the pick is long gone.

-Dre Kirkpatrick (17th): MISS People are still trying to make excuses for why he shouldn't be considered a veteran with 4 years in the NFL to excuse his play.

-Kevin Zeitler (27th): HIT Good player, improved the OL play. Does hurt a bit that they chose him over All-Pro DeCastro, though.

-Devon Still (53rd): MISS Not even sure I need to justify this.

-Mohamed Sanu (83rd): MISS In his last 24 games he has 49/556/1. That means he's averaged 2/23/0 a game for the last year an a half.

-Brandon Thompson (93rd): MISS He had 8 tackles this year (4 solo). He's not capable of even being activated every game, being a healthy scratch.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

People just say the Bengals tear it up in the draft, so it gets repeated, then repeated later without even looking at how the drafting actually has been. They've not been good in the early rounds the last few years.

Didn't realize that Miss meant significant contributor. most of these misses are guys who are the reason we win so consistently.

You don't win consistently by playing rookies and inexpierenced players. That's only on video games.
Reply/Quote
TheLeonardLe Wrote:I will use Gio as an example. I love Gio, but he's not what you want from the 37th overall pick. A miss doesn't really mean a bust, but it does mean you didn't get what you'd like.

He was the first running back taken in the entire draft. The Bengals had every single one to choose from and they went with Gio. So when Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy, Latavius Murray, and CJ Anderson are all taken after him and are all better, how can he be a hit?

Who specifically are you arguing against being a miss? Please also use statistical backup as to why you believe they are not a miss (to avoid looking at all these players with orange tinted glasses).

Bell is injury prone. Murray is inconsistent. Lacy is fat. And you never know what you are getting with CJ Anderson.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 02:40 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's not that simple. It never has been. 
The narrative that a guy can just switch sides and it's no big deal because they're an athlete or whatever is false.

There's a lot more to it than that. It's about comfort and a lot of it is muscle memory.
What makes Joe Thomas, Andrew Whitworth and Tyron Smith so good is that every set they take in pass pro looks exactly the same. 
They hit their sets in their sleep. They are technically sound from the snap. 
Being comfortable with that from both sides isn't that easy. 

It's entirely possible he's just not comfortable at LT.

It is a complicate issue.  In the last couple of years I know the Pats and Broncos have switched guys around from position to position in mid season, and I am surwe that if I took the time to look I could find more.  So it is not as impossible as Royal claims.  But he does have a point.  Just because some O-linemen have the physical ability to move around that does not mean they all do.  And experience has a lot to do with it.  It would be easier for a guy who has been in the league for a few years to switch around than a second year guy who's head is still busy learning how to deal with complex NFL defensive schemes and the speed and techniques of NFL d-linemen.

Working together as a unit is more important to the O-line than anywhere else on the team.  So you want guys getting used to not only their own roles, but the strengths and weaknesses of the guys on each side of him.  If a switch is made it needs to be in the offseason to give the whole line time to adjust. 

So I think the first couple of years a guy should just play one position.  I know our O-line coach disagrees, but I think making a first year player learn multiple positions could slow down his ability to just learn how to play on the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is a complicate issue.  In the last couple of years I know the Pats and Broncos have switched guys around from position to position in mid season, and I am surwe that if I took the time to look I could find more.  So it is not as impossible as Royal claims.  But he does have a point.  Just because some O-linemen have the physical ability to move around that does not mean they all do.  And experience has a lot to do with it.  It would be easier for a guy who has been in the league for a few years to switch around than a second year guy who's head is still busy learning how to deal with complex NFL defensive schemes and the speed and techniques of NFL d-linemen.

Working together as a unit is more important to the O-line than anywhere else on the team.  So you want guys getting used to not only their own roles, but the strengths and weaknesses of the guys on each side of him.  If a switch is made it needs to be in the offseason to give the whole line time to adjust. 

So I think the first couple of years a guy should just play one position.  I know our O-line coach disagrees, but I think making a first year player learn multiple positions could slow down his ability to just learn how to play on the NFL level.

Yes. Because that is what I said.

Good god you have a chubby for trying to distort what I say.  Not even going to waste time with the rest of this post.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 01:52 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Yes. Because that is what I said.

Good god you have a chubby for trying to distort what I say.  Not even going to waste time with the rest of this post.

I was actually agreeing with you in most of that post.

And leave my chubby out of this.
Reply/Quote

He'll either distort what you say or flat-out lie to make himself look good.

After a while, he'll just start claiming he didn't say any of it.
Reply/Quote

Go look at the post you were replying to when you started squealing about how false the claim is that is easy to switch positions.

Take a good look.

Can you find anywhere in that post where he said it would be easy?

So lighten up, Francis.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 02:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He'll either distort what you say or flat-out lie to make himself look good.

After a while, he'll just start claiming he didn't say any of it.

How about that poll Brad?

You ready to agree to it?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Go look at the post you were replying to when you started squealing about how false the claim is that is easy to switch positions.

Take a good look.

Can you find anywhere in that post where he said it would be easy?

So lighten up, Francis.

Look fred, I get that you have some severe complex that gives you a need to feel intellectually superior online but you are flat out trying to lie and distort what I said. We had this same discussion in my Bodine thread (hint: I was still right).  

I never said impossible. That's again you lying to give yourself some sort of half-assed high ground. 

I said it wasn't as easy as "Oh you can play LT now instead of RT. Just go do it." It's not that easy. It's never that easy.

Nowhere did I say it was impossible. Just that it wasn't easy. 

I will address your posts again when you can make it one reply in without lying or trying to distort what I wrote. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 02:52 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Look fred, I get that you have some severe complex that gives you a need to feel intellectually superior online but you are flat out trying to lie and distort what I said. We had this same discussion in my Bodine thread (hint: I was still right).  

I never said impossible. That's again you lying to give yourself some sort of half-assed high ground. 

I said it wasn't as easy as "Oh you can play LT now instead of RT. Just go do it." It's not that easy. It's never that easy.

Nowhere did I say it was impossible. Just that it wasn't easy. 

I will address your posts again when you can make it one reply in without lying or trying to distort what I wrote. 

All I was doing was pointing out that you responded to a post with an argument against a claim that was never made it that post.  So it is kind of disingenuous of you to lose your shit over me doing the exact same thing you did.

Plus I was AGREEING with you in most of my point.  Is it really worth whimpering so much over a post where I agree with much of what you day?

So, like I said before, lighten up Francis.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 03:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All I was doing was pointing out that you responded to a post with an argument against a claim that was never made it that post.  So it is kind of disingenuous of you to lose your shit over me doing the exact same thing you did.

Plus I was AGREEING with you in most of my point.  Is it really worth whimpering so much over a post where I agree with much of what you day?

So, like I said before, lighten up Francis.

If you weren't so set on being the character fred, you would see I was agreeing with the guy I quoted and just expounding on what he said.

You get no benefit of the doubt from given your penchant for being an ass to me. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 12:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Didn't realize that Miss meant significant contributor.   most of these misses are guys who are the reason we win so consistently.    

You don't win consistently by playing rookies and inexpierenced players.    That's only on video games.

The truth.

Gio, Shawn, Mo and Dre are all good players.

Gio is a great scat back i don't know why someone would hate on the guy after the year he just put up that
was much better than Hill and i love Hill, but he had a bad season.

Shawn has been behind Reggie and Iloka. Iloka has been great so it is easy to understand why Shawn has
not started in front of him. This does not mean Shawn was a miss.

Mo is as versatile as baking soda and does a lot of things that people don't see, great blocker as well.

Kirkpatrick will be good, this was his first year starting. He will get better with more starting snaps.
Reply/Quote