Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Last time we followed Joe Burrow's advice on a WR
(04-24-2021, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was not hindsight for me.  I was strongly against bring back Greem.

If the player says do not tag me then wish them well and move on. Football players and teams getting  along is like relationships and farts. If you got to force it then it is prolly going to be s*it anyway. That joke credit goes to some little kid on youtube heard it yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 01:07 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: With a rookie QB, it was the right move. 
Nah, the right move would have been taking that same 18 million and using to buy yourself two starters on the OL.
Reply/Quote
What a stupid thread. The idea that Joe Burrow used his influence to get AJ Green tagged (before he was even drafted mind you) is absolutely absurd.

I swear, the things people buy into because of quotes taken from fluff interviews never ceases to amaze me.

"Hey, rookie QB! (Stupid smile from a stupid reporter who is about to ask a stupid question) What do you think about playing with AJ Green? How's that sound? (Reporter still smiling, or if it's Dave Lapham, just breathing out of his mouth)

How is there any answer to that question than the one he gave? You were just asked about a guy who played a decade in the city you're going to, who made multiple Pro Bowls, who the team has already said they want to keep. What else could you possibly say?

"Uh, I think he's washed up. I hope we get younger and spend that money on someone else."?????

This is now the 4th or 5th thread that is disguised as a new topic that really should just be in one of the Sewell threads.

I think I speak for a lot of people: We get it already. Some of you REALLY want an OL in round 1. Now kindly shut the **** up about it.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 06:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think I speak for a lot of people:  We get it already.  Some of you REALLY want an OL in round 1.  Now kindly shut the **** up about it.

Grow up, tough guy.  Nothing is sillier than acting like you can tell people to shut up on a message board.  What are  you going to do if I don't?  Start typing in all caps?

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
You guys can tell me to shut up whenever you want, no worries. Tongue

This thread is admittedly a reach. I don't think Burrow told them to do anything with AJ one way or the other. But I think the question is still valid: would you listen to him if he did? Not about Green, specifically, but more about this draft. If Burrow told you to take Chase, would you listen?

Honestly, I see it both ways. You don't want your 2nd-year quarterback calling the shots, but you do want to keep him happy.

The question is even more compelling when it comes to Taylor. If his basis for going Chase is because he's under the gun and couldn't care less for long-term impact, how much influence would you grant him in the War Room? Not saying that he would be putting it in those terms ("Look guys, my job's on the line. I need highlights right now, to hell with the future" lol). But if you suspect that that's his rationale, would it change how seriously you take his opinion?

It's a fascinating dynamic imo. I don't know what I would do. I've seen so many people justify their mocks by saying that X player fits Zac's system to a tee. But if Zac might be on the way out, how much of this (very important) draft are you willing to sacrifice for him?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 03:46 PM)tms Wrote: You guys can tell me to shut up whenever you want, no worries.  Tongue

This thread is admittedly a reach. I don't think Burrow told them to do anything with AJ one way or the other. But I think the question is still valid: would you listen to him if he did? Not about Green, specifically, but more about this draft. If Burrow told you to take Chase, would you listen?

Honestly, I see it both ways. You don't want your 2nd-year quarterback calling the shots, but you do want to keep him happy.

The question is even more compelling when it comes to Taylor. If his basis for going Chase is because he's under the gun and couldn't care less for long-term impact, how much influence would you grant him in the War Room? Not saying that he would be putting it in those terms ("Look guys, my job's on the line. I need highlights right now, to hell with the future" lol). But if you suspect that that's his rationale, would it change how seriously you take his opinion?

It's a fascinating dynamic imo. I don't know what I would do. I've seen so many people justify their mocks by saying that X player fits Zac's system to a tee. But if Zac might be on the way out, how much of this (very important) draft are you willing to sacrifice for him?

It's a very long stretch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just to be clear. I am not going to freak out or complain if we take Chase (as long as we go O-line at #38).  I think O-line is a bigger need, but I can't find anything to criticize about Chase's potential.

I just think it is silly to say we should take him because Burrow wants us to.

I agree with you on the first pick situation. But in all honesty I think the Burrow wants Chase thing is more social media/beat writers to make things more interesting this off-season.  They are looking for things to talk bout.  

I personally don’t believe Burrow is that involved. 
Reply/Quote
It was already pointed out that Burrow is not actively lobbying for Chase as shown during his interview with Cris Collinsworth . It is one of those things where media likes to blow things up into something it is not. And people here doing the same. Here is the quote that started it all.

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/01/joe-burrow-would-love-to-play-with-jamarr-chase-in-the-nfl-2021-nfl-draft-lsu-football/

Quote:“Burrow recently participated in an interview with Fanatics, which featured a live Q&A session with fans, and the quarterback was asked about playing Chase again in the NFL. I’d love to play with Ja’Marr,” Burrow responded. He’s a great player, we’re still in contact all the time, we talk every now and then. He’s a great dude and a great player. I’d love to have him on the team.”

He was asked how he would feel playing with Chase in an interview and that got blown up into something like Burrow is calling Mike Brown everyday demanding the Bengals draft chase (yes hyperbole). What would you expect him to say? "He's a great player but I would rather the Bengals draft someone else."

So as to the topic of this thread, and as noted by others Burrow didn't demand the Bengals keep Green. AJ was franchised well over a month before Burrow as drafted.

Burrow from what I have read has done a good job staying in his lane, working to be the best QB he can, as well as team leader. I'm sure that his thoughts on the team are taken into consideration but not to the magnitude that the OP suggests.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:02 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Exactly.

Tee is good.  No question.

Boyd is great in his role too.

AJ, even if he was a shell of himself still brought attention.

If we grab some mid-late rd WR is that going to be enough even if they are a speed/field stretcher?

That is the question.  Sometimes guys like that get a wake up call physically in that LOS-5yd stretch from NFL CBs.

Will Tee have enough to outshine #1 CBs game in and game out?  That is another good question.

It's not some personal dig at the guy's talent.  It just is unknown.

Yeah, I think Tee could be, we just don't know it yet. Either way we need to build the OL and add a good WR.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was not hindsight for me.  I was strongly against bring back Greem.

And you think the organization made the decision based on what Burrow wanted? That’s ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:36 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mhmmm and last time this franchise took a tackle in the first round it was Cedric Ogbuehi.

Ogbuehi was the 4th OT drafted that year.
2 of the 3 picked ahead of him have been to at least 3 Pro Bowls each.

Price was the 2nd C drafted his year.
The guy ahead of him is a 2nd Team All-Pro.

So wouldn't your statement actually be more towards the proof that the Bengals waiting to settle on lesser OL has backfired?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Last time we followed Burrow's advice on a WR was never. The Bengals didnt ask Burrow for advice on AJ Green.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:27 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: What was Burrow going to say about AJ? The guy's a bum, and should just retire?

just like what would a rookie/2nd year QB say about his HC..

Hes a bum fire him?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 07:17 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote: And you think the organization made the decision based on what Burrow wanted?  That’s ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, no I don't. 

I also don't think Burrow is actively pushing the front office to draft Chase.  In both instances Joe was jusy answering a question from the media.

All i am addressing is the fact that many fans who want Chase try to make the argument that one reason we should take him is to make Joe happy.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 11:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually, no I don't. 

I also don't think Burrow is actively pushing the front office to draft Chase.  In both instances Joe was jusy answering a question from the media.

All i am addressing is the fact that many fans who want Chase try to make the argument that one reason we should take him is to make Joe happy.

There's only way that JB comes out of this unhappy. Ole Rog steps to the podium and says, "With the 5th pick in the 2021 draft the Cincinnati Bengals select, Micah Parsons".

Any one of the big three should improve the offense. I think Mr.Burrow is going to be happy regardless of who they pick. Just as long as the FO stays on script.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And we no longer listen to the coach who evaluated Ogbuehi.

One positive that has happened in recent Bengal history. Even a mustard loving ketchup hating guy knows that coach was a bum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We paid A J Green $18 million to be the worst starting WR in the league.

This gets my vote for:  "Most Colin Cowherd-like Post of the Year".  Twist something to find any way to poo poo the choice of Ja'Marr Chase.  Weak sauce.  
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:21 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Did someone say Andre Smith??

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

It never gets old, the boobs looking like Alien eyes starting out to space...
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Click bait thread, lock this one up mods!

Precisely why I voted it "Most Colin Cowherd-like"
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The best part was the rest of the team watching it and making fun of him on Hard Knocks.

That Hard Knocks had some hilarious moments...the rookie show where The Eastern Block drew a formation that formed a giant penis and the impression of Taylor Mays.  It was some really funny shit.  
Reply/Quote