Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest from Hobson
(02-20-2018, 05:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Please tell me you are not serious.

The Browns are due, and they have revamped the Front Office to an all star cast. With the picks they have in the first two rounds and over 100m in cap space. Something is different about these Browns. Check out their new front office. Top notch hires. I'm impressed.

And yes even you Fred given 1 offseason could turn this team into a SB contender. Something tells me all these front office decisions you "support" wouldn't be your doing if given the chance.

Although I might have to rethink this cause Alexander would still be here under your direction........

But I'm certain you wouldn't run the team with an eye on mediocrity. Would you? What do you think needs to be done to turn this ship around.

Like it or not the Browns and Bengals are going in opposite directions. And that's saying something given they went 0-16.

There's just no urgency to win with the Bengals. And now the core players are ruined (they know there's no accountability) and have been Bengalized (see AJ Green body language with the team last season). So a quick turnaround isn't going to happen until a new group of core players are here.

Even if you don't believe we are headed in the wrong direction. The truth is this core only has 3 more years of "elite" play left in them. They are all hitting 30. We haven't drafted good and the busts are coming home to roost (or something like that). We will basically be starting over from scratch with no depth to carry the transition from the old core to the new era.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 06:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Very Doubtful.... Fanciful idea's aren't always possible or realistic as you all make them out to be.

I give you more credit then you give yourself Xeno. I think you can do it.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 06:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: But I'm certain you wouldn't run the team with an eye on mediocrity. Would you?

So that is all it takes to turn an NFL team into a Super Bowl contender?

I never realized that a majority of teams in the NFL are ran with "an eye on mediocrity".

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
No, most teams try (and fail). I don't fault them for that. But we are stuck around the 6-10/8-8 mark, so all it takes is a smart (urgency to win now) offseason to get over the hump, so yes any one of us can probably put the pieces together given 36m in cap to work with (for one we'll remember we can tag Atkins/Dunlap next offseason if it means only extending one and signing a LT or RT).

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 07:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: No, most teams try (and fail). I don't fault them for that. But we are stuck around the 6-10/8-8 mark, so all it takes is a smart (urgency to win now) offseason to get over the hump,

I see 6-10 to 8-8 teams get WORSE on a regular basis.

If all it takes is trying then there must be a lot of teams that are not trying.

Maybe you have not noticed but there are a lot of teams that blow a lot of money on free agents and get worse.  If all it ttok to be a contender was spend a lot of money on free agents then almost every team in the league would be a Super Bowl contender every year.
Reply/Quote
There right to concentrate on Geno, Dunlap, and Dennard. However where there wrong is that they need to get rid of players like Pacman, Laffell, Johnson, and Rey. You can sign a legit starter with that money.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 06:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: The Browns are due, and they have revamped the Front Office to an all star cast.

Chosen from their message board?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 07:08 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: However where there wrong is that they need to get rid of players like Pacman,  Laffell,  Johnson, and Rey. You can sign a legit starter with that money.

Pacman LaFell and Johnson are already legit starters.

So can you sign three legit starters for the exact same money?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 07:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pacman LaFell and Johnson are already legit starters.

So can you sign three legit starters for the exact same money?

Pacman won't start, Johnson won't start this year, and Laffell won't start this season. There the first guy off the Bench kind of guys but we have younger players ready to start in place of them.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: A few interesting nuggets from the latest Hobson' Choice:

On taking a LB with the 12th pick:

I can’t seem taking a linebacker that high even if they needed one. It’s just not in their DNA.

I think for them in this day and age a spot that high is reserved for corners, pass rushers and D-tackles. I think with Vontaze Burfict, Nick Vigil, and Jordan Evans, they feel very good. But you’re right about depth and I think they’ll take a backer on the third day.

On going after a LT in free agency:

Left tackle is the one spot where I wish they would make an exception in their free-agent philosophy and go get an unrestricted guy early. And maybe they will. But I think at the moment they’re thinking those guys are so valued there won’t be anyone available that’s worthy by the time free agency rolls around March 14. And you have to think of those Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins contracts. I would think that precludes a deal like Solder would command, if he’s even available. I do agree with them. Geno and Carlos have to be the priorities and if that means a guy like Orlando Brown at No. 12, that’s good, too. I think by the time Draft Day gets here, the tackles are going to be in the mix up there with the defensive players.  

On considering a QB at 12:

There’s no question if they think a worthy QB is there at No. 12 they will at least talk about it. Just like if there’s a corner or wide receiver or whatever else is there. They would talk about it seriously. But unless they think the guy is an absolute lock and is an upgrade over Andy Dalton, it’s a short conversation. I mean, if he hangs around until 12, that’s enough reason not to draft him since you’ve already got a guy up and going.

The team has a much higher opinion of Dalton than certain elements of the fan base as we all know so the last thing they’re going to do at that position is reach. I do think they’ll draft a QB and it’s going to be a name we know. But it’s going to be in the bottom of the third at the earliest as Dalton’s backup.

On local product Preston Brown as a possible FA interest:

You’re right. Buffalo’s Preston Brown is a Cincy kid and they figure to be looking at him on tape as they sketch out their free-agent plans. I think they like how they set up at backer and they don’t go after UFAs. But I could also see them having an interest in a home town guy like Brown, an extremely productive player.

On whether the Bengals will re-sign Atkins, Dunlap and Dennard, and if they should trade one:

They usually get their guys if they want them and they really want Geno and Dunlap, and Dennard is headed that way, too. That’s why you’re not going to see the big free-agent splash in March.

The whole idea behind keeping Lewis as head coach is because Mike believes they’re close. This isn’t 2003. It’s not a re-building job. If you trade one of your two best pass rushers or your best slot corner, you’re killing yourself for this year. Can’t see them doing that after keeping Lewis. They want to win now with the head coach and QB in place.

Full article at Bengals.com.

Excuse me whole I fart the Hobsmoke out of my ass.

If they feel good about their LB situation, they weren't watching the same defense I was last year.

And no, they are not close.  And Hobs, quit acting like Marvin only gets two years.  It's as close to needing rebuilt as it is to being a SB contender.

Allow me to summarize--same ol' shit.  Lie about changes in January, laugh at the suckers who bought that load come March.  They are pillars of consistency.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 05:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Please tell me you are not serious.

Well, between Dumb and Dumber, they have what, forty or so years of proof that they can't get the job done.  I think I could do it better.  All I'd have to do is look at everything D/D have done...and do the opposite.  The blueprint is there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Interesting that Hobs said that they want to "win now". Win what, another one and done appearance in the playoffs?

If they really want to win a championship, now; Then they are going to have to go rogue from the standard Bengal protocol, and do some wheeling and dealing. That's right, some average guys are going to have to be let go, and a couple of big timer's brought in. Can't rely on the draft to solve everything.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 08:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Interesting that Hobs said that they want to "win now".  Win what, another one and done appearance in the playoffs?

If they really want to win a championship, now;  Then they are going to have to go rogue from the standard Bengal protocol, and do some wheeling and dealing.  That's right, some average guys are going to have to be let go, and a couple of big timer's brought in.  Can't rely on the draft to solve everything.

Unless "win now" involves serious action and breaking from status quo, it's just more empty talk to sell tickets.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: On taking a LB with the 12th pick:

I can’t seem taking a linebacker that high even if they needed one. It’s just not in their DNA.

I think for them in this day and age a spot that high is reserved for corners, pass rushers and D-tackles. I think with Vontaze Burfict, Nick Vigil, and Jordan Evans, they feel very good. But you’re right about depth and I think they’ll take a backer on the third day.

On local product Preston Brown as a possible FA interest:

You’re right. Buffalo’s Preston Brown is a Cincy kid and they figure to be looking at him on tape as they sketch out their free-agent plans. I think they like how they set up at backer and they don’t go after UFAs. But I could also see them having an interest in a home town guy like Brown, an extremely productive player.

Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick

Burfict can't play more than 10-11 games/season (provided he doesn't get concussed again and miss the whole season), Vigil was truly truly AWFUL, and Evans was just as terrible.

PFF has Vigil ranked as the 84th LB (that's among 3-4 ILBs + all 4-3 LBs, 3-4 OLB are not included) and Evans as the 85th LB. They had grades of 35.1 and 35.0, respectively.

Then Burfict will get hurt and Vincent Rey will step in for him (45.7 grade, 63rd among LBs) and we will get to watch every single RB in the league truck over our LBs and starting CBs (Jones/Kirkpatrick).

Who isn't excited for the 2018 season to be here already?   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 08:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick

Burfict can't play more than 10-11 games/season (provided he doesn't get concussed again and miss the whole season), Vigil was truly truly AWFUL, and Evans was just as terrible.

PFF has Vigil ranked as the 84th LB (that's among 3-4 ILBs + all 4-3 LBs, 3-4 OLB are not included) and Evans as the 85th LB. They had grades of 35.1 and 35.0, respectively.

Then Burfict will get hurt and Vincent Rey will step in for him (45.7 grade, 63rd among LBs) and we will get to watch every single RB in the league truck over our LBs and starting CBs (Jones/Kirkpatrick).

Who isn't excited for the 2018 season to be here already?   Ninja
Yet they are all serviceable players.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 07:56 PM)McC Wrote: Excuse me whole I fart the Hobsmoke out of my ass.

If they feel good about their LB situation, they weren't watching the same defense I was last year.

And no, they are not close.  And Hobs, quit acting like Marvin only gets two years.  It's as close to needing rebuilt as it is to being a SB contender.

Allow me to summarize--same ol' shit.  Lie about changes in January, laugh at the suckers who bought that load come March.  They are pillars of consistency.

Right on,

And if they're good with bringing back Bodine they weren't watching the same games I was either. It's just more of the same old shit !

They'll sit on their hands through the bulk of free agency until the dumpster portion opens up. They'll keep all the dead weight to honor the contracts - screw winning we gotta be loyal. Hobspin will come out with the article explaining away 30 million dollars in cap space and will claim the Bengals only have eleventeen seventy five to spend.

We'll draft a corner or WR in the first round and on and on.

Nothing is gonna change, you're fooling yourself if you think the Mike and Marvin show is gonna flip the script.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 08:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Unless "win now" involves serious action and breaking from status quo, it's just more empty talk to sell tickets.

the "win now" is referring to the constant interest applied to the bank account they put that 'hold over' cap space in.

that will definitely "win now" as it has for the past 20+ years.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 10:09 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: the "win now" is referring to the constant interest applied to the bank account they put that 'hold over' cap space in.

that will definitely "win now" as it has for the past 20+ years.

That and of course the Bingo game Mike and Marvin go to after spending their coupons at Wendys
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 03:31 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Oddly enough the Bills drafted two Cincinnati kids that are former Louisville Cardinals over the years that I thought would be perfect for the Bengals in Eric Wood and Preston Brown.

Seems we have not much interest in homegrown talents and or surrounding college fan bases located in Bengals territory unless you are a kicker, punter or late round pick.

Many Cards, Buckeyes, and Wildcats have been passed by that could have helped in early rounds imo.

Bengals seem stuck on SEC players for one reason or another although there are the occasional west coast player, but they seem to absolutely hate OSU players anymore in any round.. Over the past few years  OSU has produced some pretty good NFL players, but very few have made their way to Cincinnati until they're already near retirement age ..Go figure. 

As far as Captain Milquetoast Hobson goes , I'll read his stuff and sometimes enjoy it, but it's more like reading works of fiction coauthored by the front office instead of something that makes me want to be a Bengals fan.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 08:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Unless "win now" involves serious action and breaking from status quo, it's just more empty talk to sell tickets.

Agreed. This was just another propaganda article. That line about feeling good about LBs was laughable. Burfict can't be depended on to play a 16 game season, Vigil sucked, and Evans had a lot more downs than ups. There's nothing inspiring about that group. We also shouldn't expect to do anything in free agency because of two extensions?

I hope they enjoy the half empty stadium next season. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote