Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest from Hobson
(02-21-2018, 01:06 AM)grampahol Wrote: Bengals seem stuck on SEC players for one reason or another although there are the occasional west coast player, but they seem to absolutely hate OSU players anymore in any round.. Over the past few years  OSU has produced some pretty good NFL players, but very few have made their way to Cincinnati until they're already near retirement age ..Go figure. 

As far as Captain Milquetoast Hobson goes , I'll read his stuff and sometimes enjoy it, but it's more like reading works of fiction coauthored by the front office instead of something that makes me want to be a Bengals fan.. 

That is what I see as well. 

Not mad at them drafting SEC and not saying to just target local teams. 

But when there is good ones available just do not get passing on them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 06:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: The Browns are due, and they have revamped the Front Office to an all star cast. With the picks they have in the first two rounds and over 100m in cap space. Something is different about these Browns. Check out their new front office. Top notch hires. I'm impressed.

And yes even you Fred given 1 offseason could turn this team into a SB contender. Something tells me all these front office decisions you "support" wouldn't be your doing if given the chance.

Although I might have to rethink this cause Alexander would still be here under your direction........

But I'm certain you wouldn't run the team with an eye on mediocrity. Would you? What do you think needs to be done to turn this ship around.

Like it or not the Browns and Bengals are going in opposite directions. And that's saying something given they went 0-16.

There's just no urgency to win with the Bengals. And now the core players are ruined (they know there's no accountability) and have been Bengalized (see AJ Green body language with the team last season). So a quick turnaround isn't going to happen until a new group of core players are here.

Even if you don't believe we are headed in the wrong direction. The truth is this core only has 3 more years of "elite" play left in them. They are all hitting 30. We haven't drafted good and the busts are coming home to roost (or something like that). We will basically be starting over from scratch with no depth to carry the transition from the old core to the new era.

This team isn't that far away outside of the offensive line from being a serious contender. I get the confidence in the browns new hires but those guys come from the Packers and Andy Reid. Which means there probably not going to be big spenders and if they don't find a QB there screwed.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Business as usual and with the same results. A person would have to either be ignorant or not really care one way or another if the bengals try to win to spend one red cent on the sos.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: A few interesting nuggets from the latest Hobson' Choice:

On taking a LB with the 12th pick:

I can’t seem taking a linebacker that high even if they needed one. It’s just not in their DNA.

I think for them in this day and age a spot that high is reserved for corners, pass rushers and D-tackles. I think with Vontaze Burfict, Nick Vigil, and Jordan Evans, they feel very good. But you’re right about depth and I think they’ll take a backer on the third day.

On going after a LT in free agency:

Left tackle is the one spot where I wish they would make an exception in their free-agent philosophy and go get an unrestricted guy early. And maybe they will. But I think at the moment they’re thinking those guys are so valued there won’t be anyone available that’s worthy by the time free agency rolls around March 14. And you have to think of those Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins contracts. I would think that precludes a deal like Solder would command, if he’s even available. I do agree with them. Geno and Carlos have to be the priorities and if that means a guy like Orlando Brown at No. 12, that’s good, too. I think by the time Draft Day gets here, the tackles are going to be in the mix up there with the defensive players.  

On considering a QB at 12:

There’s no question if they think a worthy QB is there at No. 12 they will at least talk about it. Just like if there’s a corner or wide receiver or whatever else is there. They would talk about it seriously. But unless they think the guy is an absolute lock and is an upgrade over Andy Dalton, it’s a short conversation. I mean, if he hangs around until 12, that’s enough reason not to draft him since you’ve already got a guy up and going.

The team has a much higher opinion of Dalton than certain elements of the fan base as we all know so the last thing they’re going to do at that position is reach. I do think they’ll draft a QB and it’s going to be a name we know. But it’s going to be in the bottom of the third at the earliest as Dalton’s backup.

On local product Preston Brown as a possible FA interest:

You’re right. Buffalo’s Preston Brown is a Cincy kid and they figure to be looking at him on tape as they sketch out their free-agent plans. I think they like how they set up at backer and they don’t go after UFAs. But I could also see them having an interest in a home town guy like Brown, an extremely productive player.

On whether the Bengals will re-sign Atkins, Dunlap and Dennard, and if they should trade one:

They usually get their guys if they want them and they really want Geno and Dunlap, and Dennard is headed that way, too. That’s why you’re not going to see the big free-agent splash in March.

The whole idea behind keeping Lewis as head coach is because Mike believes they’re close. This isn’t 2003. It’s not a re-building job. If you trade one of your two best pass rushers or your best slot corner, you’re killing yourself for this year. Can’t see them doing that after keeping Lewis. They want to win now with the head coach and QB in place.

Full article at Bengals.com.

Yuk! That's how Hopspin articles tend to make me feel. He really knows how to suck out any excitement there might be in the off season.

He's full of shit really. How can the team "feel very good" about Vigil and Evans so far? Besides, in the Mike Brown era we've drafted Takeo Spikes and Keith Rivers at 12 or higher and we took Pollack at 17, so I don't understand the it's not in their DNA comment.

With regards to QB, if he's there at 12 means nothing. Watson was there at 12 last year and he would have been an upgrade for the Bengals. And didn't we get Dalton in the second round? Yes, we did.

Hopson is a moron!

But he is right about one thing, the team will not sign any decent free agents. And don't be surprised if they f-up either Dunlap or Atkins and they may completely ignore Dennard until next year. Or they might extend Dennard early and only keep one from the DL (Atkins or Dunlap, but not both). We've been drafting heavy on the DL lately for a reason.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 06:55 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hopson is a moron!

It’s in his DNA! Cool

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: Looks like they are going to be using this Dunlap/Atkins excuse all year. And we all know they won't sign both.

Wonder why Hobspin didn't mention the roll over money save for Eifert/Zietler/Sanu/MJ. That 10M they were supposedly willing to pay Whit? The 8m year they were wiling to pay MJ Jr.? Not to mention the 10 million set aside for injury insurance for....... Who did they sign again this year due to injury again? I know it was someone, but did they eat up all that money?

They are full of it and deserve the reputation they have as a mom and pop shop (and not even a successful one).

This serviceable mediocrity is exactly why this team will never be a true contender. Look for the Browns to be the best NFL team in Ohio in 3 years.

Why not?

I think it'll happen for sure...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
JJ/Hall, Jones/Sanu, Mike J/Dunlap (the first time we lost MJ), Whit/Smith Iloka/Nelson....

Typically we have to choose between one or even in the case of Jones/Sanu lose both. I think they are doing their pr diligence acting like they will try to sign both.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Evans, Burfict and Vigil is trash as linebacking group. my god has he seen Evans n Vigil play. complete garbage..i was excited about Evans then he looked soft as heck
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 10:38 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Why not?

I think it'll happen for sure...

Depends how early negotiations start. The Bengals have had a couple key guys leave in FA that they said they wanted to extend but ultimately didn't.
Whitworth and Marvin Jones are the two who most stick out to me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 01:26 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Evans, Burfict and Vigil is trash as linebacking group.  my god has he seen Evans n Vigil play.  complete garbage..i was excited about Evans then he looked soft as heck

To be fair to Vigil and Evans, Evans was a 6th round rookie with limited playing time last year and this was Vigil's first season with a big role.
The bigger disappointments, to me, were Rey and Minter.

But maybe I'm too easy on Vigil and Evans because I liked both picks when they were drafted and I still have hope that they'll grow into better players.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If they feel "very good" about Vigil after last year they are crazy. Except for the one game where he played WILL,
the Buffalo game he was one of the worst Linbackers in the NFL. They do need to re-sign Geno, Dunlap and Dennard
but we at the very least need to bring in Solder for a look.

Would be stoked if we signed Solder and Preston Brown. Would open up the Draft.

Just don't like Hobspin's spinning ways here. We can re-sign all those guys and grab those 2 if we let Adam and MJ go.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 02:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To be fair to Vigil and Evans, Evans was a 6th round rookie with limited playing time last year and this was Vigil's first season with a big role.
The bigger disappointments, to me, were Rey and Minter.

But maybe I'm too easy on Vigil and Evans because I liked both picks when they were drafted and I still have hope that they'll grow into better players.

I with you there..    Vigil dispite having a bad year I think was leading the team in tackles.

Evans was a late round rookie they usually aren't expected to come in and light the league on fire year 1... They generally take a year or two to grow to that level (which is why they are late round picks)

Rey while can play every spot doesn't seem to play them very well.

And minter looked liked he needed a GPS to find the play most the time he was out there.  So glad that was only a 1 year deal.

But yeah another playmaker linebacker is needed draft or FA...  (now they can come from anywhere...  remember when we grabbed Raiders backup LB Thomas howard and everyone said it was a cheap move.. But he was a really solid player for us.   until he got hurt... )    

Because burfict is a stinky fart away from a league ban... and we have NO one that is close to being able to fill his shoes @ LB
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 07:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I with you there..    Vigil dispite having a bad year I think was leading the team in tackles.

Evans was a late round rookie they usually aren't expected to come in and light the league on fire year 1... They generally take a year or two to grow to that level (which is why they are late round picks)

And minter looked liked he needed a GPS to find the play most the time he was out there.  So glad that was only a 1 year deal.

But yeah another playmaker linebacker is needed draft or FA...  (now they can come from anywhere...  remember when we grabbed Raiders backup LB Thomas howard and everyone said it was a cheap move.. But he was a really solid player for us.   until he got hurt... )    

Because burfict is a stinky fart away from a league ban...  and we have NO one that is close to being able to fill his shoes @ LB

With you both, haven't given up on either Vigil or Evans, just don't like hearing Hobspin say the team feels very good
about them. Minter was the one who was the real disappointment last year, thought he would of played much better,
he is still young but he didn't look it.

Vigil did look good when he played WILL like i said against the Bills. Evans made a couple wow plays but he also got
exposed late in the year.

Both are really young though so i still have hope for them.

Good point on Thomas Howard RIP. He did play well for us.

Hopefully we can add a guy like Nigel Bradham or Tarik Whitehead to the corps. Haslett is not a very good LB coach,
needs all the talent he can get.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 07:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I with you there..    Vigil dispite having a bad year I think was leading the team in tackles.

Because burfict is a stinky fart away from a league ban...  and we have NO one that is close to being able to fill his shoes @ LB
You got everything right! Minter was terrible and Vinny should only come in to give a guy a breather if we keep him. He's not a starter
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind a Burfict-Roquan Smith-Vigil/Evans linebacking corps. Hell, sign Bradham and draft Roquan Smith and now LB is probably a strength of the team.
Reply/Quote
I had some high hopes for Evans from preseason but I agree he is soft. And it shouldn't take years forva guy to be good. I didn't like vigil when we drafted him and still don't. They want him to be good so bad so they can say they were right. But no he sucks. I'd rather go get derrick Thomas from kc then any other linebacker we got besides Burfict. We definitely need help in that area.also I think we are one of the favorites for that one handed linebacker coming out.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 11:55 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I wouldn't mind a Burfict-Roquan Smith-Vigil/Evans linebacking corps. Hell, sign Bradham and draft Roquan Smith and now LB is probably a strength of the team.

This would make a lot of sense.  Therefore, it won't happen.  We'll draft a CB in the first who won't play for two years.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 07:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With you both, haven't given up on either Vigil or Evans, just don't like hearing Hobspin say the team feels very good
about them. Minter was the one who was the real disappointment last year, thought he would of played much better,
he is still young but he didn't look it.

Vigil did look good when he played WILL like i said against the Bills. Evans made a couple wow plays but he also got
exposed late in the year.

Both are really young though so i still have hope for them.

Good point on Thomas Howard RIP. He did play well for us.

Hopefully we can add a guy like Nigel Bradham or Tarik Whitehead to the corps. Haslett is not a very good LB coach,
needs all the talent he can get.

I think both Vigil and Evans are better when not having to fight through traffic. They both probably best fit WILL.
I think the Bengals need a SAM that can shed to get to the ball carrier, and I honestly don't think they have a guy like that on the roster right now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So basically nothing is gonna happen and we were all lied to. No surprise there, screw this franchise
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 10:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think both Vigil and Evans are better when not having to fight through traffic. They both probably best fit WILL.
I think the Bengals need a SAM that can shed to get to the ball carrier, and I honestly don't think they have a guy like that on the roster right now.

I agree, we have plenty of WILL Linebackers, need to get a good run stopping SAM that can shed blocks.
Reply/Quote