Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laughably Bad Post Draft Ranking
I'm all for differing opinions, and understandably we don't have the 'best' team in the NFL. What pundits think about our team ranges from talented, good, to okay to bad...that being said, I found a post draft, preseason ranking system via BleacherReport (the BuzzFeed of sports).

Again, I'm all for opinions, but the placement on this is LAUGHABLE. The entire list is a joke anyways.

Quote:28. Cincinnati Bengals

5 of 32
  1. Elsa/Getty ImagesThe Bengals won just six games last season and then got worse by losing their two best offensive linemen, Whitworth and guard Kevin Zeitler, on the free-agent market. It marked the second consecutive offseason in which they suffered major net losses in free agency despite having money to spend.And they didn't do much in the draft to convince us they're suddenly on the right track. They reached for speedy wide receiver John Ross in the top 10, despite the fact Ross is arguably a one-dimensional player who comes with medical red flags. Then they followed that up by drafting a walking red flag in running back Joe Mixon, who has first-round talent but could do more harm than good and, like Ross, doesn't really fill a major need. They did get great value for Mixon and third-round front seven defender Jordan Willis, but that doesn't make up for all of the losing they've been doing on and off the field. The offensive line still lacks experience, and the secondary lacks young talent. The way things are looking, the Bengals will be lucky to win more than a handful of games next season in the increasingly tough AFC North.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706187-nfl-power-rankings-where-does-every-team-stand-after-the-draft

Thoughts!?

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Not laughable at all. Valid points given (except Ross being one dimensional). Our oline as it stands is atrocious. Secondary is still a question mark with Jones aging, Kirk finally playing serviceable, and WIII coming off injury. His ranking is a bit harsh. 15-20 is reasonable.

Reply/Quote
The difference between 28 and 15 isn't small though. That's the difference between being a three win team and a playoff caliber team. I don't see how you could rank us near Chicago, or any of those teams.

Large. Large stretch.

Reply/Quote
It was widely considered a weak draft for oline, we took some of the BPA (Mixon/Willis) instead. The offense needed weapons, and they gave Andy Dalton exactly that. I think that ranking is ridiculous. I agree more with those saying we had one of the best drafts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:42 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: The difference between 28 and 15 isn't small though. That's the difference between being a three win team and a playoff caliber team. I don't see how you could rank us near Chicago, or any of those teams.

Large. Large stretch.

Good point. 20-22

Reply/Quote
"The secondary lacks young talent" is also completely wrong.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was widely considered a weak draft for oline, we took some of the BPA (Mixon/Willis) instead. The offense needed weapons, and they gave Andy Dalton exactly that. I think that ranking is ridiculous. I agree more with those saying we had one of the best drafts.

And that is another point. It was clear this draft was week @ oline yet we let 2 of our best walk.

Reply/Quote
Typical bleacherreport trash.

They instantly destroyed their credibility when they labeled Ross one dimensional, as it shows their usual lack of ac tually researching players and teams. Also claiming that Ross and Mixon did not address needs shows they did not watch any games last season, or they would have seen the lack of speed on offense.

And while it was okay to note the OL losses plus the lack of doing anything in Free Agency to address them, to fault us for not going heavy OL in what was pretty universally regarded as the weakest OL draft in over a decade seems silly.
Reply/Quote
I always have hope in the Bengals to do well. I think they will do really well this year. I don't agree at all that we are one of the worst teams in the league.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:42 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: The difference between 28 and 15 isn't small though. That's the difference between being a three win team and a playoff caliber team. I don't see how you could rank us near Chicago, or any of those teams.

Large. Large stretch.

It is easy to see how they rank us that low. The O-line was a disaster last year and it lost the two best guys. If Smith doesn't work at RG and Fisher and Ced don't make major strides, this team will be a 3 or 4 win team. Dalton will be under pressure all the time and there will be no running game.

Now, if the o-line gets it together, this team has talent everywhere else.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 03:39 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It is easy to see how they rank us that low. The O-line was a disaster last year and it lost the two best guys. If Smith doesn't work at RG and Fisher and Ced don't make major strides, this team will be a 3 or 4 win team. Dalton will be under pressure all the time and there will be no running game.

Now, if the o-line gets it together, this team has talent everywhere else.

I'm not a fan of the O-line situation. The fact that the coaching staff has faith in them, surprising to me.

That being said, You (in general, not you specifically) have to look at the fact that we have Green coming back healthy, Eifert hopefully by season's end and the young talent drafted. We let go of some bums (Maualuga) and picked up some decent players (Minter). SURE, we did lose our best linemen (that does hurt).

I still don't see how that puts us 28th...So we lose two linemen and all of a sudden we are 5 spots worse than last year!? Don't get it.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:39 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I still don't see how that puts us 28th...So we lose two linemen and all of a sudden we are 5 spots worse than last year!? Don't get it.

Makes perfect sense to me .

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: "The secondary lacks young talent" is also completely wrong.

Should have said unproven young talent Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:33 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I'm all for differing opinions, and understandably we don't have the 'best' team in the NFL. What pundits think about our team ranges from talented, good, to okay to bad...that being said, I found a post draft, preseason ranking system via BleacherReport (the BuzzFeed of sports).

Again, I'm all for opinions, but the placement on this is LAUGHABLE. The entire list is a joke anyways.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706187-nfl-power-rankings-where-does-every-team-stand-after-the-draft

Thoughts!?

This appears to be the typical "expert" who really doesn't know much about the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
Outside sources look at gains and losses and compare them to the previous year.

And, I'll admit, on paper our offensive line looks absolutely garbage.

Like...'Mike Brown wants Andy Dalton to die in a fire' levels of garbage.

But the Bengals planned ahead and drafted with the plan to replace Zeitler and Whitworth.

Let's see if those draft picks pan out.
Reply/Quote
People still read bleacher report??? Why?

Bengals reached a bit for Ross but otherwise had a great draft.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Draft grades and rankings are dumb. Just mindless bullshit that talking heads have to do to justify their jobs.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:33 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I'm all for differing opinions, and understandably we don't have the 'best' team in the NFL. What pundits think about our team ranges from talented, good, to okay to bad...that being said, I found a post draft, preseason ranking system via BleacherReport (the BuzzFeed of sports).

Thoughts!?

Yeah I as well don't get too much into post draft rankings or grades. The one thing that I totally agree with is the bengals drafted this year to win now. There eyes weren't on the future, they were on bringing guys into camp that can compete to start. Edge rush instantly upgraded, have what seems to be a solid kicker. Ross and Mixon should definitely fit into scheme, as well Malone should make the roster and get some playing time. If this team stays healthy I definitely can see them surpassing the 6 wins this season they were projected.
Reply/Quote
NFL Draft grades: Browns, 49ers top class; Raiders, Bengals get schooled
from The Sporting News

Cincinnati Bengals D-

Draft picks: Washington WR John Ross, Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon, Kansas State DE Jordan Willis, Auburn DE Carl Lawson, Tennessee WR Josh Malone, Michigan DT Ryan Glasgow, Memphis K Jake Elliott, Utah C J.J. Dielman, Oklahoma LB Jordan Evans, Houston CB/RB Brandon Wilson, Buffalo TE Mason Schreck

The best thing to say about the rebuilding Bengals is that Glasgow is a good value ... out of 11 picks. Ross was a reach, and Lawson was a free-faller. Both come in with durability issues. Willis is better suited to be a 3-4 edge rusher. They didn’t need a second wideout in Malone, either, and Elliott was taken too early.

About Mixon: For a non-glaring need because of Jeremy Hill and a recovering Giovani Bernard, he’s not worth that kind of backfield risk in the second round. The backlash is bound to make that pick backfire. Between Mixon, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict, the Bengals are unrelenting in ignoring controversy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2017-grades-results-winners-losers-best-worst-browns-49ers-raiders-bears/18hqayqs3zll51g21an59nw2g5
Reply/Quote

Thoughts!?

bengals already had replacements for everyone they lost on the roster...  some analyst only look at the recent adds and losses not looking big picture
Reply/Quote