Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawson Buzz
(05-07-2017, 04:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Coach Marvin Lewis has been looking for an athlete like Lawson since he's been head coach and has not found them.  We'll see if the coaches can use them correctly and develop them into what I think he could be which is an upright linebacker that can Rush and be moved around.  I would like him to be played at Sam backer.

Exactly. Marvin has been looking for his new Peter Boulware for quite some time. He used to talk about finding that guy pre 2010 a lot. Pollack looked like the answer until injuries to that away. I believe there was some hope with Rashad Jeanty, but that didn't happen. Then MJ came into the picture and injuries to the DL kept him at DE. I believe Moch was their last attempt, but he was such a huge project that they gave up when Moch flopped. Lawson looks to the best option since Pollack.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 04:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Coach Marvin Lewis has been looking for an athlete like Lawson since he's been head coach and has not found them.  We'll see if the coaches can use them correctly and develop them into what I think he could be which is an upright linebacker that can Rush and be moved around.  I would like him to be played at Sam backer.

(05-08-2017, 04:14 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Exactly. Marvin has been looking for his new Peter Boulware for quite some time. He used to talk about finding that guy pre 2010 a lot. Pollack looked like the answer until injuries to that away. I believe there was some hope with Rashad Jeanty, but that didn't happen. Then MJ came into the picture and injuries to the DL kept him at DE. I believe Moch was their last attempt, but he was such a huge project that they gave up when Moch flopped. Lawson looks to the best option since Pollack.

Let's hope so. I like what Lawson brings and think if healthy he improves the D. That said, let's pump the brakes a bit. Pollack & Boulware were both pure studs coming out of college. Pollack was by far the player I wanted us to draft that year, and when his name was announced I nearly went full chub.

Those two were both first Rd picks and All-Americans. What happened to Pollack as a shame. Lawson was a 4th rounder. I hope he kills it, but as was mentioned earlier; Dennard was the next coming of Revis according to certain member's of the coaching staff.

Here's to hoping he's on par with Pollack when he was at Georgia & Boulware throughout his career.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 01:43 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don't think that the articles about Lawson are just hype propaganda.

Lawson was a first round talent who, if healthy 3 straight years rather than injured, would have been probably been a first rounder. Lawson was the #1 DE prospect coming out of high school and has been a badass since he was a kid.

That's not hype, that's just how it is.

I think that Bengals fans will realize quickly who The Law Dog is and he will be seeing the field early. MONSTER player and I think could be the steal of the draft for the Bengals.

Exactly, and we should keep him in a rotation to keep him fresh and to reduce the injury possibility.

I also don't like the possibility of him playing backer just because it's not who he is.  If we played a 3-4, maybe put him at outside backer and let him rush the passer, but he wouldn't be doing it in a 4-3 besides for blitzing.  Take a look at a guy like Geathers and see that taking him from what he did best in rushing the passer at end and putting him at backer limited his productivity.  

If that arthritis comes with his hip injury, it wouldn't be good for him to be taking on blockers head-on at backer.  

Leave Lawson at end and let him get after the passer.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Clarke will be released. He has flashed at times, but has not shown consistency and his progress has been slow. I think this class will overtake him....

I could see it. He had a good opportunity last season and did nothing. I really hope we move on from MJ, Gilberry, Sims, Thompson and Clarke. Thompson would be fine if he could stay healthy. 

I really want to see Billings, Hardison, Williams, Willis and Lawson get significant snaps and maybe even that Chris Smith fella.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 02:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a numbers game...but I think they should both see some snaps.

Clark had 4 sacks last year.

I was happy with Lawson playing OLB as I think it's a quicker path to him playing.

We traded for that Chris Smith from Jacksonville too who is a DE.

MJ and Dunlap will start. Then behind them it's a competition with Clark, Gilberry, Smith, and Willis. 2 of those guys can play in a rotation.
Yea Lawson having the versatility to play DE and OLB will help maybe keep an extra guy on the line.

Yea I completely forgot about Smith, what do you think of him?

Dunlap absolutely should start, but at this moment MJ has regressed since coming back and he offers no pass rush. Yea he's a smart leader and has been solid in the past, but I'm ready for an injection of serious pass rush coming from his spot. Give me Willis and either Clarke or Smith, which ever one can provide a nice breather, I'm done with Gilberry he had a nice 2-3 stretch for us, but has been awful for the last 3 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 02:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a numbers game...but I think they should both see some snaps.

Clark had 4 sacks last year.

I was happy with Lawson playing OLB as I think it's a quicker path to him playing.

We traded for that Chris Smith from Jacksonville too who is a DE.

MJ and Dunlap will start. Then behind them it's a competition with Clark, Gilberry, Smith, and Willis. 2 of those guys can play in a rotation.
It absolutely is a numbers game. Every season they bring in as many players as they can find and hope just a few will rise up like cream to the top. Some rise, most do not and though some may be absolute studs coming out of college they just don't have what it takes in the pros. Some look ever so average in college or carry baggage in, but once they put on the pro uniform they put it all together. 
Every team except one passed on Vontez Burfict coming out of college and look what he turned out to be. 
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the number one pick, Garret in Cleveland turns out to be a non-factor in most games..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 09:48 AM)Crowe Wrote: I could see it. He had a good opportunity last season and did nothing. I really hope we move on from MJ, Gilberry, Sims, Thompson and Clarke. Thompson would be fine if he could stay healthy. 

I really want to see Billings, Hardison, Williams, Willis and Lawson get significant snaps and maybe even that Chris Smith fella.

Third on the team in sacks, when nobody could really generate pressure and you want him cut?

#crazy
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Clarke will be released.

(05-09-2017, 09:48 AM)Crowe Wrote: I could see it. He had a good opportunity last season and did nothing.

No way Clark gets cut.

Snaps per sack in 2016

Clarke.............93.0
Dunlap..........105.0
MJ.................237.4

Clarke played much better than most people here seem to realize.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 02:24 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly, and we should keep him in a rotation to keep him fresh and to reduce the injury possibility.

I also don't like the possibility of him playing backer just because it's not who he is.  If we played a 3-4, maybe put him at outside backer and let him rush the passer, but he wouldn't be doing it in a 4-3 besides for blitzing.  Take a look at a guy like Geathers and see that taking him from what he did best in rushing the passer at end and putting him at backer limited his productivity.  

If that arthritis comes with his hip injury, it wouldn't be good for him to be taking on blockers head-on at backer.  

Leave Lawson at end and let him get after the passer.

I don't think Lawson will be used as a traditional, base 4-3 LB. I DO think that he will be used as astand up "Rush LB" in exotic packages to bring pressure and rush the passer.

Lawson has had success rushing from out on the edge standing up, or inside edge with his hand in the dirt. He can do either just fine. So when the Bengals say LB, I think that's just to keep him in a versatile group and allow him to use his athleticism to disguise certain things. No way Lawson becomes a traditional LB and gets time in that role over Burfict, Minter, Vigil, or Ray. He cannot cover and that is something the Bengals LBs have to do a lot of.

Lawson will be used differently than those guys I mentioned. So, don't envision a traditional LB role for him, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 12:23 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don't think Lawson will be used as a traditional, base 4-3 LB. I DO think that he will be used as astand up "Rush LB" in exotic packages to bring pressure and rush the passer.

Lawson has had success rushing from out on the edge standing up, or inside edge with his hand in the dirt. He can do either just fine. So when the Bengals say LB, I think that's just to keep him in a versatile group and allow him to use his athleticism to disguise certain things. No way Lawson becomes a traditional LB and gets time in that role over Burfict, Minter, Vigil, or Ray. He cannot cover and that is something the Bengals LBs have to do a lot of.

Lawson will be used differently than those guys I mentioned. So, don't envision a traditional LB role for him, IMO.

That does make me feel a little better, but, given this franchise's ability to underutilize players and take them away from what they're good at, you can understand my concern.

I do like the thought of us using exotic packages with him standing up, which sounds like a 3-4 defense, but I do like the versatility.  Keep offenses guessing!
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 04:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That does make me feel a little better, but, given this franchise's ability to underutilize players and take them away from what they're good at, you can understand my concern.

I do like the thought of us using exotic packages with him standing up, which sounds like a 3-4 defense, but I do like the versatility.  Keep offenses guessing!

To the bold...

I absolutely DO understand your concern and it's a valid point. I think the Bengals have had some one or two dimensional guys who excelled very very well at what those dimensions were - and the Bengals seldom used those talents and instead tried to carve round edges onto the square peg and the played couldn't excel in Cincy.

We shall see. I hope the coaches are opening their minds. It sounds like they are!
Reply/Quote
Anyone dismissing Will Clarke, is sadly mistaken. The dude improved by leaps and bounds, even in limited action. Clarke is a Man, and can throw some bodies around. If this team is looking to show more 3-4, you definitely want Clarke in your mix at DE, with Lawson playing OLB just outside his shoulder, the stunt possibilities could be ruthless.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote