Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lazor breaks down the lack of Mixon's carries.
My how refreshing.  Instead of telling the kid to shut up and grow up, our OC says he understands Mixon's concerns, and breaks down why he didn't get many touches:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/28659/bengals-oc-bill-lazor-explains-joe-mixons-lack-of-carries-vs-steelers

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 12:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: My how refreshing.  Instead of telling the kid to shut up and grow up, our OC says he understands Mixon's concerns, and breaks down why he didn't get many touches:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/28659/bengals-oc-bill-lazor-explains-joe-mixons-lack-of-carries-vs-steelers

Lazor is either in Self Defense Mode or Coddling Mixon or a Combination of both.

Lazor said "You like to handle things in the building but hey, we are all adults."

He also said "between two and five of our skill players were (probably) upset with him". (During the last 2 games they won)

Need some Bill Belichick style Authority from Coaches or the players happiness will always be in the back of the play caller's mind during games.

I would Start Jeremy Hill with some Gio mixed in during the 1st Half of the Colts game and let Mixon watch.
Tell Mixon that if he shows any signs of disappointment about it during the game, then he watches the 2nd half from the sidelines too.
Any Post Game negative comments from him after the game then we do it all again the next week until he gets it.
Reply/Quote
Sitting the best RB on the team does what? let's not act like Mixon isn't right he has a point.
Reply/Quote
I saw some people saying the Bengals need to run the ball more...and they cite Mixon's ypc. He had a 25 yard run where the line had terrible blocking and he cut back to the left to gain yards. That's not sustainable.

Our blocking is just very bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:18 PM)depthchart Wrote: Lazor is either in Self Defense Mode or Coddling Mixon or a Combination of both.

Lazor said "You like to handle things in the building but hey, we are all adults."

He also said "between two and five of our skill players were (probably) upset with him". (During the last 2 games they won)

Need some Bill Belichick style Authority from Coaches or the players happiness will always be in the back of the play caller's mind during games.

I would Start Jeremy Hill with some Gio mixed in during the 1st Half of the Colts game and let Mixon watch.
Tell Mixon that if he shows any signs of disappointment about it during the game, then he watches the 2nd half from the sidelines too.
Any Post Game negative comments from him after the game then we do it all again the next week until he gets it.

I can agree with some of that, but mainly what I was referring to was how Lazor broke down the situations there, and how it affected the play calling.  Instead of "we did some good things, need to put more points on the board".....etc, etc.....the typical Marvspeak.

Also, I think he was just pointing out that players get upset all of the time, even in wins, with the amount of looks they get.  Seemed to me, he was just giving his genuine view of things instead of the smug arrogance of a Mediocre Marv presser.  Smug arrogance from a guy who hasn't won shit, mind you.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:20 PM)Clappington Wrote: Sitting the best RB on the team does what? let's not act like Mixon isn't right he has a point.

Yeah give him carries...but I just hope he doesn't develop bad habits by running behind this terrible line. That could EASILY happen.
Reply/Quote
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/24/marvin-lewis-joe-mixon-should-show-maturity-like-everyone-else/

Except Marvin said he should show maturity like everyone else.

Here is some Maturity Marv............ your football team is 2-4.......... go lick b#lls.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:20 PM)Clappington Wrote: Sitting the best RB on the team does what? let's not act like Mixon isn't right he has a point.

They didn't sit him, as the article notes, they threw him a couple passes, and there were times where the Steelers alignment negated the run in the run/pass option.  However, I agree, I'd have him out there more......but he REALLY needs to work on his blocking.  He's pretty bad.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:23 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/24/marvin-lewis-joe-mixon-should-show-maturity-like-everyone-else/

Except Marvin said he should show maturity like everyone else.

Here is some Maturity Marv............ your football team is 2-4.......... go lick b#lls.

Yeah, this is why I put up Lazor's view on the matter.  I appreciate the thought and detail he put into the interview.

Reply/Quote

It establishes Authority.

It may only take a Half to establish that Authority.

Meanwhile, a Fired up Jeremy Hill would likely put up some comparable numbers to what Mixon would have done in that half against the Colts.

Lazor will likely do the opposite and go out of his way to make sure Mixon is happy.

An Anti-Bill Belichick style move.

P. S.  I agree that Mixon is right about not getting enough carries, however, if you look at Mixon's comments they were centered around how he would have Outperformed Le'veon Bell and "showcased" his personal skills had he got as many carries as Bell.

Mixon has a me, me, me attitude that needs to be broken and refocused on team, team, team.  IMO
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:34 PM)depthchart Wrote: It establishes Authority.

It may only take a Half to establish that Authority.

Meanwhile, a Fired up Jeremy Hill would likely put up some comparable numbers to what Mixon would have done in that half against the Colts.

Lazor will likely do the opposite and go out of his way to make sure Mixon is happy.

An Anti-Bill Belichick style move.

P. S.  I agree that Mixon is right about not getting enough carries, however, if you look at Mixon's comments they were centered around how he would have Outperformed Le'veon Bell and "showcased" his personal skills had he got as many carries as Bell.

Mixon has a me, me, me attitude that needs to be broken and refocused on team, team, team.  IMO

This seems pretty accurate, tbh.

I don't think you're grasping what Lazor is hinting at.  I took it that he brushed it off, and was like "meh, everyone gets upset over their touches now and again".  If the Bengals say he will sit and watch Gio and Hill, then that's what I fully expect to happen.

Jeremy Hill has been fired up exactly once since his rookie season, and he proceeded to fumble that effort away.

Reply/Quote
I really like Lazor, hope we clean house but keep this guy around.

Dude knows his shit and is handcuffed by the dooshes above.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I really like Lazor, hope we clean house but keep this guy around.

Dude knows his shit and is handcuffed by the dooshes above.

I think Lazor could produce an innovative offense with Dalton/Green/Mixon under the right circumstances.

I just don't know that those circumstances will exist here.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Lazor could produce an innovative offense with Dalton/Green/Mixon under the right circumstances.

I just don't know that those circumstances will exist here.

Well, atleast we have seen a big dif with him as OC that the players seem to have responded to.

It is a good sign and as Wyche said is refreshing.

We clean house and the circumstances might change, like i said in the other thread. Not going to wish death on MB...

Some say that is the only way things might change, but i will stick to the coaches here. Keep Lazor, he is new.

The rest can go, sad cause i think Guenther, Simmons and Urban are good coaches.

Just need to change this culture around. Mediocrity should never be embraced.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:18 PM)depthchart Wrote: He also said "between two and five of our skill players were (probably) upset with him". (During the last 2 games they won)

The problem with this statement, is that only three skill players on the Bengals deserve touches. 
Gio, Mixon and AJ. 

Right now the offense should be built around them. 
Who cares if Lafell, Boyd or Hill get touches?
They aren't good. 

The team stuck their neck out for Mixon they should be using him to maximize his skill set to show it wasn't for naught. 

What in the blue *HELL* is the point of drafting Mixon if you don't use him like he should be used?

F*ck the other teams defense. Force them to adjust to YOU. 
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: This seems pretty accurate, tbh.

I don't think you're grasping what Lazor is hinting at.  I took it that he brushed it off, and was like "meh, everyone gets upset over their touches now and again".  If the Bengals say he will sit and watch Gio and Hill, then that's what I fully expect to happen.

Jeremy Hill has been fired up exactly once since his rookie season, and he proceeded to fumble that effort away.

I agree that Lazor brushed it off but should he ?

Establishing Authority as I suggest in Bill Belichick style would need to be applied team wide and just doing it now to Mixon may not help that much if it is not done as a New Principle. I say we need to establish some Authority but we likely won't.

This team has a number of players that like to Spout off after games and the 20 year old Mixon may start a bad pattern if he gets coddled in a way now.

As for Hill, I would expect him to do some thumping if given a 1st half start against the Colts. I doubt it would harm our chances of beating the Colts in the slightest if Mixon watched for the 1st half. It would, however, send Mixon a message that I think he needs to learn now before he becomes a Diva.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The problem with this statement, is that only three skill players on the Bengals deserve touches. 
Gio, Mixon and AJ. 

They aren't good. 

The team stuck their neck out for Mixon they should be using him to maximize his skill set to show it wasn't for naught. 

What in the blue *HELL* is the point of drafting Mixon if you don't use him like he should be used?

Agree

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The problem with this statement, is that only three skill players on the Bengals deserve touches. 
Gio, Mixon and AJ. 

They aren't good. 

Clapping
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: I can agree with some of that, but mainly what I was referring to was how Lazor broke down the situations there, and how it affected the play calling.  Instead of "we did some good things, need to put more points on the board".....etc, etc.....the typical Marvspeak.

Also, I think he was just pointing out that players get upset all of the time, even in wins, with the amount of looks they get.  Seemed to me, he was just giving his genuine view of things instead of the smug arrogance of a Mediocre Marv presser.  Smug arrogance from a guy who hasn't won shit, mind you.

Pretty impressive to say the least. Not what we are used to. We are more confused after every Marv presser than we were before it.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 12:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: My how refreshing.  Instead of telling the kid to shut up and grow up, our OC says he understands Mixon's concerns, and breaks down why he didn't get many touches:

Did Lazor giggle at all? If not, that right there makes it better than any Merv presser ever.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote