Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Les Miles said Ja'Marr couldn't play WR
When he was recruiting Ja'Marr he told him he couldn't play WR that he would be better off switching to CB. Aren't we glad that LSU fired MIles and Ja'Marr didn't listen to that advice

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Kinda like Urban Meyer not believing in Joe Burrow as QB1…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
We don't know . . . he might've been even more amazing as a CB.

Les Miles . . . visionary.

Nah, nevermind.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kinda like Urban Meyer not believing in Joe Burrow as QB1…

DingDing
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kinda like Urban Meyer not believing in Joe Burrow as QB1…

"Throws like a girl" he said.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kinda like Urban Meyer not believing in Joe Burrow as QB1…

Hey now, Meyer says he never kicks a man when he's down.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:47 PM)jason Wrote: "Throws like a girl" he said.

And the QB he tried his best to ruin in JAX looks like one. LOL

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kinda like Urban Meyer not believing in Joe Burrow as QB1…

Eh people overrate that choice. Joe was coming off injury and Haskins had played well in his limited time and outplayed Joe during the competition. College coaches don’t get the leeway to pick who they think will be better a year or two from now. They have to pick the best player today and hope the other guy is ok sticking on the bench.

Urban picked the guy who gave him the best chance to win a championship that season. OSU was a serious contender that year and Haskins way outplayed Burrow that year as well. Burrow gets the last laugh and is clearly the better QB in the long run but he wasn’t better that year and that’s why he wasn’t named the starter.
Reply/Quote
Maybe that is why neither is coaching any longer.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:59 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Eh people overrate that choice. Joe was coming off injury and Haskins had played well in his limited time and outplayed Joe during the competition. College coaches don’t get the leeway to pick who they think will be better a year or two from now. They have to pick the best player today and hope the other guy is ok sticking on the bench.

Urban picked the guy who gave him the best chance to win a championship that season. OSU was a serious contender that year and Haskins way outplayed Burrow that year as well. Burrow gets the last laugh and is clearly the better QB in the long run but he wasn’t better that year and that’s why he wasn’t named the starter.

Right. Even Joe himself said he was not the QB at Ohio State he was at LSU. Called himself a work in progress. He said he took what he learned at OSU and applied it towards improving his game once he landed at LSU, and then learned from the coaches there. To criticize Meyer over that decision is crazy. If Joe stays at OSU, he may have never developed into who he is.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 04:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right. Even Joe himself said he was not the QB at Ohio State he was at LSU. Called himself a work in progress. He said he took what he learned at OSU and applied it towards improving his game once he landed at LSU, and then learned from the coaches there. To criticize Meyer over that decision is crazy. If Joe stays at OSU, he may have never developed into who he is.

Hindsight is 20/20. I will say, Urban doesn't have the best track record developing QBs that can transition from College to the Pros. I would argue the most successful QB he put into the pro's was Alex Smith, but even then it took Alex Smith about 6 years to become a good NFL QB. That said, Urban produced plenty of other skill position players that had great success in the NFL. I don't like the guy, but I do appreciate his career in college. I probably should state I went to college at UK and worked for the football team during Urban's time at Florida, so I'mma lil bias lol.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:50 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Hey now, Meyer says he never kicks a man when he's down.

Tell that to josh lambo
Reply/Quote
Hmmm...
A kid who was told he couldn't play WR.
Another kid who was told he throws like a girl.
And both under the wing of a coach whose record is 6-25-1 combined in the past two seasons.

And here we are a year later fighting for the AFC crown.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:59 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Eh people overrate that choice. Joe was coming off injury and Haskins had played well in his limited time and outplayed Joe during the competition. College coaches don’t get the leeway to pick who they think will be better a year or two from now. They have to pick the best player today and hope the other guy is ok sticking on the bench.

And JT Barrett
Reply/Quote
Half the sports media said he couldn't play receiver in August after a few drops. So Miles, and the media are both idiots.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 05:32 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Half the sports media said he couldn't play receiver in August after a few drops. So Miles, and the media are both idiots.

& the worst part was the media really took his comments and ran with it the wrong direction. Chase was only commenting he had to adapt to the ball looking different. The kid was giving the media an honest answer about the process of improving his NFL game and instead they created sensationalized, click bait trash.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 04:55 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: Hindsight is 20/20. I will say, Urban doesn't have the best track record developing QBs that can transition from College to the Pros. I would argue the most successful QB he put into the pro's was Alex Smith, but even then it took Alex Smith about 6 years to become a good NFL QB. That said, Urban produced plenty of other skill position players that had great success in the NFL. I don't like the guy, but I do appreciate his career in college. I probably should state I went to college at UK and worked for the football team during Urban's time at Florida, so I'mma lil bias lol.

It’s not really his job to develop players for the pros. It’s his job to win college football games and get the best players for his system.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s not really his job to develop players for the pros. It’s his job to win college football games and get the best players for his system.

Thats one argument, and its valid. But IMO college (athletics or academics) should exist to prepare people for whatever comes next. In the case of college athletics, the individual goal is to get to the next level. The great systems manage to accomplish both. I do see the side that Urban Meyer and his peers won't keep their job if the only thing they are doing is turning out NFL players, but not winning games. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:28 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: Thats one argument, and its valid. But IMO college (athletics or academics) should exist to prepare people for whatever comes next. In the case of college athletics, the individual goal is to get to the next level. The great systems manage to accomplish both. I do see the side that Urban Meyer and his peers won't keep their job if the only thing they are doing is turning out NFL players, but not winning games. 

With the amount of money in collegiate sports, and football in particular, unless a coach is trying to set himself up to succeed in the NFL, I don't see college football trying to prep guys to play in the pros.  Especially when considering how many college athletes actually go pro.  

The other side of that is that these programs focus so much on athletics that a lot of the kids aren't getting great academics as well.  Some of them are super smart and pull that off.  Some schools are more demanding.  But there are a lot of athletes scraping by with an easy pass and then hopefully they make it big in the pros and move into media work or can use their name after their career is over.  

But looking specifically at the OP, I think it's really interesting to see how people progress and grow.  I don't hold it against either coach on either player.  There's a lot of development over the years.  But it's amazing to see people who just a few years ago weren't considered to do well in their position turn that around and become some of the best at it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:37 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: With the amount of money in collegiate sports, and football in particular, unless a coach is trying to set himself up to succeed in the NFL, I don't see college football trying to prep guys to play in the pros.  Especially when considering how many college athletes actually go pro.  

The other side of that is that these programs focus so much on athletics that a lot of the kids aren't getting great academics as well.  Some of them are super smart and pull that off.  Some schools are more demanding.  But there are a lot of athletes scraping by with an easy pass and then hopefully they make it big in the pros and move into media work or can use their name after their career is over.  

But looking specifically at the OP, I think it's really interesting to see how people progress and grow.  I don't hold it against either coach on either player.  There's a lot of development over the years.  But it's amazing to see people who just a few years ago weren't considered to do well in their position turn that around and become some of the best at it. 

I imagine it is much easier to recruit top talent when they can show the high school prospects how many of their players got drafted into the NFL.  I bet there is a lot of behind the scenes talk like, "Commit to [university name here] and I'll do everything I can to make sure you go pro like I did for [insert names here]."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote