Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's talk DT's
Watching the combine today and doing some research on a very deep class of Defensive Tackles.  I love the value of this class and I cannot see us not drafting one in the first 3 rounds.  I will keep this thread updated, but who are you most impressed with thus far?

Group 1 -
1.  Andrew Billings - Dude is just a total load and you can tell this guy is strong as a bull.  I'm not sure where he falls in the draft, but I wouldn't hate this pick.
2.  Kenny Clark -  Great balance and body control.  I'm a bit concerned about his power, but another riser in this draft class.
3.  Sheldon Day -  He worked out well today and I see his stock rising.  I had him mocked in the 4th round, but its unlikely he makes it past round 2 at this point.  
4.  Javon Hargrave - Most people didn't have him high on the boards coming into draft season, but his stock has risen.  I like him as 3rd or 4th round stud.  With a deep class I can see value picks later in draft.

Group 2 -
*Update*
1. A'shawn Robinson - No way this dude is 20 years old he looks atleast 35 years old.  All jokes aside this guy has tons of upside and a body that will develop even more as he hits his physical prime.  
2.  Sheldon Rankins -  Really impressed by this kid

Players that I have reservations about:

1. Robert Nkemdiche -  This guy has red flags all day long.  Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane and his off the field issues are a huge red flag... pass
2.  Jarran Reed - I just dont like him at all for no particular reason.  He has the tools, but I don't think he offers the upside of most of the guys listed above.

Overall a great class and I think we should draft a guy in rounds 2-4 because of the depth of the class.  With as many developmental guys behind peko that we have on the roster.  One of which is Williams who I really liked in the preseason last year... I don't think we should reach for a 1st round guy.  Linebacker doesn't have the depth and is a much greater need for our division.  That being said I wouldn't be unhappy drafting a stud in the first round.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Another name to mention in that 1st half is Hargrave...huge lower half, and put up 29 reps. Ran a 4.93.
Not the tallest in stature though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 01:21 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Another name to mention in that 1st half is Hargrave...huge lower half, and put up 29 reps.  Ran a 4.93.
Not the tallest in stature though.

Yep  I forgot to put him on the list.  He did great today and his body type reminds me of peko.

Reply/Quote
Hargrave is definitely a guy to keep an eye on. Dominated FCS, and stood out in the shrine game.
Reply/Quote
Sheldon Rankins must not be forgotten.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 02:06 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Sheldon Rankins must not be forgotten.

yeah he looks real good.  I had not finished group two at the time of the first post.  Outstanding DT class this year.  Overall this year is all about defense at the combine as I am simply not impressed by 95% of the offensive talent.

Reply/Quote
Last year the top player I wanted for months and months leading up to the draft was Malcolm brown.

This year I have an even bigger crush on Andrew Billings. Dude would be a terrific pick if he falls to 24. That said I won't be nearly as upset if he doesn't because of the insane depth at DT in this draft.

Also (at risk of being labeled an OSU homer) I will say that Adolphus Washington would be a good pickup in th first two rounds and you didn't mention him.

Also I think it was bfine who mocked the Texas DT Ridgeway to us in the 4th, i didn't know much about him but after looking at some tape he could be a steal outside of the first couple rounds.

If we re-sign most of our major FA's I really hope we grab two good DT's in this draft. There are probably 15 DT's that could be really good pickups and last year only 18 were drafted. I'm sure that number will go up this year but some really talented guys should be available in rounds 3,4, or 5. If we don't draft a DT this year I will Cry
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 03:55 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Last year the top player I wanted for months and months leading up to the draft was Malcolm brown.

This year I have an even bigger crush on Andrew Billings. Dude would be a terrific pick if he falls to 24. That said I won't be nearly as upset if he doesn't because of the insane depth at DT in this draft.

Also (at risk of being labeled an OSU homer) I will say that Adolphus Washington would be a good pickup in th first two rounds and you didn't mention him.

Also I think it was bfine who mocked the Texas DT Ridgeway to us in the 4th, i didn't know much about him but after looking at some tape he could be a steal outside of the first couple rounds.

If we re-sign most of our major FA's I really hope we grab two good DT's in this draft. There are probably 15 DT's that could be really good pickups and last year only 18 were drafted. I'm sure that number will go up this year but some really talented guys should be available in rounds 3,4, or 5. If we don't draft a DT this year I will  Cry

Yeah I'm only speaking on what ive seen in the combine as I haven't watched tape on all of these guys.  I think taking two DT's in this draft would be a little over kill with the developmental guys we have on the team right now and the limited roster.  We have other needs on the team that need to be addressed .  Heck I would take a stud kicker over another developmental DT.  I wouldn't mind two line backers, a wide receiver, a center, a DT, and maybe a developmental RDE.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 04:22 PM)Okeana Wrote: Yeah I'm only speaking on what ive seen in the combine as I haven't watched tape on all of these guys.  I think taking two DT's in this draft would be a little over kill with the developmental guys we have on the team right now and the limited roster.  We have other needs on the team that need to be addressed .  Heck I would take a stud kicker over another developmental DT.  I wouldn't mind two line backers, a wide receiver, a center, a DT, and maybe a developmental RDE.

We currently have Geno and Peko as true DT's. 

Our two backup DT's are FA's in sims and Thompson. 

If we re-sign one of them then I'd only draft one DT, if we don't to save a little money then we should draft two and not count on an undrafted guy coming into our line and playing in the rotation.

Also I don't see a need for a developmental DE. that's the position where we have plenty of projects and only one FA in gilberry. If he's brought back we don't really have room for a DE. If not we need someone who can play not just ride the bench
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 04:33 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: We currently have Geno and Peko as true DT's. 

Our two backup DT's are FA's in sims and Thompson. 

If we re-sign one of them then I'd only draft one DT, if we don't to save a little money then we should draft two and not count on an undrafted guy coming into our line and playing in the rotation.

Hardison and Williams both showed well last preseason and could develop nicely.  A lot of people thought Williams had a real shot at making the starting roster last year.  Coming off a solid year I don't see them cutting Peko, but I agree that we need a young stud DT.  I just wouldn't over invest a high pick in a guy who has a real chance to end up on the practice squad.  This is just beating a dead horse tho and has nothing to do with discussing the players themselves.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 01:54 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Hargrave is definitely a guy to keep an eye on.  Dominated FCS, and stood out in the shrine game.

I'd have no problem taking Hargrave in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 02:06 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Sheldon Rankins must not be forgotten.

He might be the best of the bunch when all is said and done. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 08:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He might be the best of the bunch when all is said and done. 

I feel like the Geno comp should be reserved, and after using it on Grady last year I'm hesitant, but everything is so so similar. He just moves and operates very similar.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 09:47 PM)Stormborn Wrote: I feel like the Geno comp should be reserved, and after using it on Grady last year I'm hesitant, but everything is so so similar. He just moves and operates very similar.

Problem is Deshawn williams is supposed to be a Geno clone. And Hardison is another that is more of a pass rusher. We need to replace Sims and Thompson. And very soon Peko. We need a DT who is a run stopping stud. Sure you can never have enough pass rushers. But if you cant stop the run that doesnt matter.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 11:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Problem is Deshawn williams is supposed to be a Geno clone. And Hardison is another that is more of a pass rusher. We need to replace Sims and Thompson. And very soon Peko. We need a DT who is a run stopping stud. Sure you can never have enough pass rushers. But if you cant stop the run that doesnt matter.

Agreed.

Could see Reed, Billings, Sheldon, or Austin Johnson filling that hole.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 12:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: Watching the combine today and doing some research on a very deep class of Defensive Tackles.  I love the value of this class and I cannot see us not drafting one in the first 3 rounds.  I will keep this thread updated, but who are you most impressed with thus far?

Group 1 -
1.  Andrew Billings - Dude is just a total load and you can tell this guy is strong as a bull.  I'm not sure where he falls in the draft, but I wouldn't hate this pick.
2.  Kenny Clark -  Great balance and body control.  I'm a bit concerned about his power, but another riser in this draft class.
3.  Sheldon Day -  He worked out well today and I see his stock rising.  I had him mocked in the 4th round, but its unlikely he makes it past round 2 at this point.  
4.  Javon Hargrave - Most people didn't have him high on the boards coming into draft season, but his stock has risen.  I like him as 3rd or 4th round stud.  With a deep class I can see value picks later in draft.

Group 2 -
*Update*
1. A'shawn Robinson - No way this dude is 20 years old he looks atleast 35 years old.  All jokes aside this guy has tons of upside and a body that will develop even more as he hits his physical prime.  
2.  Sheldon Rankins -  Really impressed by this kid

Players that I have reservations about:

1. Robert Nkemdiche -  This guy has red flags all day long.  Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane and his off the field issues are a huge red flag... pass
2.  Jarran Reed - I just dont like him at all for no particular reason.  He has the tools, but I don't think he offers the upside of most of the guys listed above.

Overall a great class and I think we should draft a guy in rounds 2-4 because of the depth of the class.  With as many developmental guys behind peko that we have on the roster.  One of which is Williams who I really liked in the preseason last year... I don't think we should reach for a 1st round guy.  Linebacker doesn't have the depth and is a much greater need for our division.  That being said I wouldn't be unhappy drafting a stud in the first round.

For those that didn't know, Andrew Billings actually broke Mark Henry's powerlifting record in 2013.
Billings combined for 2010 lbs of lifting between squat, bench, and dead lift.
Squat = 805 lbs
Bench = 500 lbs
Dead lift = 705 lbs
Dude is a beast.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579916-wwe-news-mark-henrys-power-lifting-record-broken-by-high-schooler
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 11:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Problem is Deshawn williams is supposed to be a Geno clone. And Hardison is another that is more of a pass rusher. We need to replace Sims and Thompson. And very soon Peko. We need a DT who is a run stopping stud. Sure you can never have enough pass rushers. But if you cant stop the run that doesnt matter.

Guess what Sheldon Rankins can do? 
Stop the run incredibly well.

He's a penetrating NT. 

He's not just a pass rusher. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 04:41 PM)Okeana Wrote:  A lot of people thought Williams had a real shot at making the starting roster last year.

And none of them knew what they were talking about.  Williams cleared waivers which means every other team in the league passed on a chance to sign him before we put him on out practice squad.

I actually liked what Williams flashed in preseason last year, but a pre-season flash indicates a practice squad player may develop into a solid back up.  You rarely see them become top level starters.  I can't think of more than a handful in the entire league over the years.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 11:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: For those that didn't know, Andrew Billings actually broke Mark Henry's powerlifting record in 2013.
Billings combined for 2010 lbs of lifting between squat, bench, and dead lift.
Squat = 805 lbs
Bench = 500 lbs
Dead lift = 705 lbs
Dude is a beast.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579916-wwe-news-mark-henrys-power-lifting-record-broken-by-high-schooler

Damn, just loading the bars for Billings would involve more lifting than I do in an entire workout.
Reply/Quote
Mayock claims Adolphus Washington will get a first round grade from some teams.

From what I have read other people are all over the place on him. What do you OSU fans think?
Reply/Quote