Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk Defensive Prospects
Draft is almost here and we are getting alot of talk about this being a defensive draft.

Some guys at #31 I like are:

Kyler Gordon CB Washington - Gordon is a violent football player and that usually translates well to the Pro game but he also has great athleticism and is a good fit for a zone scheme. He does lack elite length but that is not really a huge part of his game.

Perrion Winfrey IDL Oklahoma - Winfrey is very long athletic explosive under tackle that can end up playing alot of spots along the interior. He was disruptive in college but Oklahoma didnt showcase what he is really good at. During the Senior Bowl he really shined all week and was just unblockable.

Few guys at #63 and #95:

Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee - I don't think he really fits what the Bengals are looking for at corner but he is a very long press corner with alot of speed.

Mario Goodrich CB Clemson - The other corner at Clemson is an solid zone corner prospect that dowsnt wow you but just plays well.

Cam Taylor-Brit CB Nebraska - Zone Corner with speed and explosive athleticism. He is the mighty mouse type not very big but thick with solid length. He is a gambler making alot of plays on routes but also missing alot of plays. Also has safety experience.

Coby Bryant CB Cincinnati - We all know Bryant. He has solid speed and athleticism and has been a very good corner in a weaker conference against #2 receivers.

Nick Cross S Maryland - I have nightmarish flashbacks of Cross vs WVU to start the 2021 season he was everywhere. I think he ends up as a box safety mixing in some overhang and cover 2 shells. He plays his best flowing to the ball and attacking the run game.

Phidarian Mathis IDL Alabama - Mathis reminds me alot of BJ Hill. Solid all around IDL that can bring you both run defense and pass rush but will probably never be an outstanding pass rusher.

Thomas Booker IDL Stanford - Booker is another explosive penetrating IDL. Although Booker has alot of experience he doesnt have alot of moves as a pass rusher and relies mostly on his athleticism. I still think his best football is ahead of him.

Anyone else have some Dedendive players they like? 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 01:14 PM)Synric Wrote: Draft is almost here and we are getting alot of talk about this being a defensive draft.

Kyler Gordon CB Washington - Gordon is a violent football player and that usually translates well to the Pro game but he also has great athleticism and is a good fit for a zone scheme. He does lack elite length but that is not really a huge part of his game.

Perrion Winfrey IDL Oklahoma - Winfrey is very long athletic explosive under tackle that can end up playing alot of spots along the interior. He was disruptive in college but Oklahoma didnt showcase what he is really good at. During the Senior Bowl he really shined all week and was just unblockable.

Few guys at #63 and #95:

Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee - I don't think he really fits what the Bengals are looking for at corner but he is a very long press corner with alot of speed.

Mario Goodrich CB Clemson - The other corner at Clemson is an solid zone corner prospect that dowsnt wow you but just plays well.

Cam Taylor-Brit CB Nebraska - Zone Corner with speed and explosive athleticism. He is the mighty mouse type not very big but thick with solid length. He is a gambler making alot of plays on routes but also missing alot of plays. Also has safety experience.

Coby Bryant CB Cincinnati - We all know Bryant. He has solid speed and athleticism and has been a very good corner in a weaker conference against #2 receivers.

Nick Cross S Maryland - I have nightmarish flashbacks of Cross vs WVU to start the 2021 season he was everywhere. I think he ends up as a box safety mixing in some overhang and cover 2 shells. He plays his best flowing to the ball and attacking the run game.

Phidarian Mathis IDL Alabama - Mathis reminds me alot of BJ Hill. Solid all around IDL that can bring you both run defense and pass rush but will probably never be an outstanding pass rusher.

Thomas Booker IDL Stanford - Booker is another explosive penetrating IDL. Although Booker has alot of experience he doesnt have alot of moves as a pass rusher and relies mostly on his athleticism. I still think his best football is ahead of him.

At 31 for me:
Dax Hill, S Michigan - My favorite safety prospect as a potential Bates replacement. He's been climbing boards though and not as likely to be there at 31 like we thought maybe a month or so ago.

Kaiir Elam, CB Florida - I don't think Elam is great as a man cover guy, but I think he'll do well in zone and also in press. Elam's height and length are appealing, as well as his good speed.

Roger McCreary, CB Auburn - I think he was better in college than his Combine numbers indicate. He's very physical. 

Day 2:
Tariq Woolen, CB UTSA - Dude just oozes potential. He also has the size of a safety but the athleticism and speed to play CB. He's more raw than some other guys though, but I'd be hopeful since he wouldn't need to be thrust into a starter role right away.

Matthew Butler, DT Tennessee - I like Butler as a rotational 3T at that 3rd round selection spot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: At 31 for me:
Dax Hill, S Michigan - My favorite safety prospect as a potential Bates replacement. He's been climbing boards though and not as likely to be there at 31 like we thought maybe a month or so ago.

Kaiir Elam, CB Florida - I don't think Elam is great as a man cover guy, but I think he'll do well in zone and also in press. Elam's height and length are appealing, as well as his good speed.

Roger McCreary, CB Auburn - I think he was better in college than his Combine numbers indicate. He's very physical. 

Day 2:
Tariq Woolen, CB UTSA - Dude just oozes potential. He also has the size of a safety but the athleticism and speed to play CB. He's more raw than some other guys though, but I'd be hopeful since he wouldn't need to be thrust into a starter role right away.

Matthew Butler, DT Tennessee - I like Butler as a rotational 3T at that 3rd round selection spot.

I like Gordon over Elam because Elam seems tentative. Kyler Gordon brings the physicality and motor to the CB spot and I love that. I like Roger McCreary but I think he's a mid second round slot corner that can give you an some help on the outside if you need it. The gamble is too big for me on Woolen in this solid CB class. I'm iffy on Butler because you can see him getting pushed around a bit but that is in the SEC over Booker in the PAC.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 02:14 PM)Synric Wrote: I like Gordon over Elam because Elam seems tentative. Kyler Gordon brings the physicality and motor to the CB spot and I love that. I like Roger McCreary but I think he's a mid second round slot corner that can give you an some help on the outside if you need it. The gamble is too big for me on Woolen in this solid CB class. I'm iffy on Butler because you can see him getting pushed around a bit but that is in the SEC over Booker in the PAC.

Maybe I haven't watched the specific games of Elam that you did and/or didn't watch enough of him, but from what I have seen, he's physical.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Late rounder I've had my eye on is Kerby Joseph from Illinois. I haven't had a good chance to review him (seen a few highlight films and read reports) as well as I'd like but feel like he might be the flyer to build depth/take over in future for Bates.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 02:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe I haven't watched the specific games of Elam that you did and/or didn't watch enough of him, but from what I have seen, he's physical.

I'm with Ocho on this, if I'm not mistaken, im pretty sure it was pointed out on these boards on someone's mock that Elam is too physical (in coverage) which resulted in him getting penalized more this year.
Reply/Quote
One late round guy I like is Scott Nelson, S from Wisconsin. Tested very well at his pro day, more of a depth/special teams player but those are part of the team too. 
Zachary Carter from Florida is someone I like as a mid-round developmental player at 3T. Zach Van Valkenburg (Iowa) too.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 02:14 PM)Synric Wrote: I like Gordon over Elam because Elam seems tentative. Kyler Gordon brings the physicality and motor to the CB spot and I love that. I like Roger McCreary but I think he's a mid second round slot corner that can give you an some help on the outside if you need it. The gamble is too big for me on Woolen in this solid CB class. I'm iffy on Butler because you can see him getting pushed around a bit but that is in the SEC over Booker in the PAC.

Not sure how any team can spend a 1st on Gordon who ran a 4.5 at the combine and then refused to run the 40 at his pro day?  He has great hips and many other good attributes but I think that time compared to the others will push him back.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 01:14 PM)Synric Wrote: Draft is almost here and we are getting alot of talk about this being a defensive draft.

Few guys at #63 and #95:

So I started looking into Cam Taylor-Britt after this thread and I enjoy what I see from his tape. Do you think you have to pick him in 2 or will he make it all the way to 95?
Reply/Quote
Good thread. I think the Bengals absolutely need improved positional depth at offensive positions such as OL, TE, and maybe even a better backup RB; however, I'd greatly value pick #31 as a player who can come in and play significant snaps for the '22 - '23 season. Is there any room for a player on offense to do that? QB, RB, WR, TE, and OL seem locked down for the starters. I suppose if a special OL talent fell to pick 31, then a player could come in and start over Jackson, or maybe Karras shifts from C to G?

Thus, a presupposition exists that the offense is ready to roll with its starters and a defensive player, who can contribute by playing a lot of snaps, makes sense for pick 31.

I agree with the S and two CBs ochocincos recommends. Other possibilities:

Nakobe Dean, LB - three-down LB according to online scouting reports, players on a championship team and Zac likes players who have been in the big games.

David Ojaboe, Edge - he doesn't fit the mold of someone who can immediately contribute because of the injury, but it might be a great value pick if he falls.

Andrew Booth JR., CB - he could instantly compete for playing time; however, many mocks now show him going way before pick 31.

I think we had a great FA period by beefing up the OL and ensuring we have a TE. Maybe it signals the early rounds of the draft will focus on beefing up the defense?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 12:30 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: So I started looking into Cam Taylor-Britt after this thread and I enjoy what I see from his tape. Do you think you have to pick him in 2 or will he make it all the way to 95?

I doubt Cam is taken before the 3rd round.  Not enough top end speed for man corner, debate on tackling if moved to safety (seen it both ways), and most likely ends up being a nickel back. A poor man's Darqueze Dennard.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 12:52 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I doubt Cam is taken before the 3rd round.  Not enough top end speed for man corner, debate on tackling if moved to safety (seen it both ways), and most likely ends up being a nickel back. A poor man's Darqueze Dennard.

Agreed. CTB does some nice things, but he's in a loaded CB class.
I'd be ok with taking him in Rd 3 or Rd 4 though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 12:51 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Andrew Booth JR., CB - he could instantly compete for playing time; however, many mocks now show him going way before pick 31.

I absolutely love ABJ. His choosing to play in his bowl game instead of opting out show the spirit I love.

WTS, he's been injured all off season and is scheduled to have a "core muscle" surgery. It may allow him to fall.

Others I like:

31: Boye Mafe

62: Jalen Pitre

95: Jayln Armour-Davis
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 01:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I absolutely love ABJ. His choosing to play in his bowl game instead of opting out show the spirit I love.

WTS, he's been injured all off season and is scheduled to have a "core muscle" surgery. It may allow him to fall.

Others I like:

Is Mafe your 2022 Kwity Paye?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 12:52 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I doubt Cam is taken before the 3rd round.  Not enough top end speed for man corner, debate on tackling if moved to safety (seen it both ways), and most likely ends up being a nickel back. A poor man's Darqueze Dennard.

Before I get crucified, I know the underwear Olympics don't matter much but...

Dude ran a 4.38 40 at the combine. I don't know how that can be seen as not enough top end speed.

Edit: just found out via The Draft Network he was a team captain. Sounds like a Taylor pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 05:26 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure how any team can spend a 1st on Gordon who ran a 4.5 at the combine and then refused to run the 40 at his pro day?  He has great hips and many other good attributes but I think that time compared to the others will push him back.

Kyler Gordon is a 30-40 prospect so very late first early second. If you put on his tape you can see why people are excited about him.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 01:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I absolutely love ABJ. His choosing to play in his bowl game instead of opting out show the spirit I love.

Others I like:

I was just talking to my coworker about the Bama backfield and he isn't too impressed with any of them just because their jobs are too easy with the DL talent they play with. I haven't looked into JAD much but sharing his opinion as a die hard Bama fan
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 01:54 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Before I get crucified, I know the underwear Olympics don't matter much but...

Dude ran a 4.38 40 at the combine. I don't know how that can be seen as not enough top end speed.

Guy was a killer at the combine.

I went back and re-looked and it was his "inability on double moves, issues in man coverage, isnt dynamic or fluid at the top of routes"  - I think in remembering his negatives I projected it to be a speed issue.   Obviously wasnt that.  Cam is a tremendous athlete, I guess it is just cover skills in general?  He laid some serious hits.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 01:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Kyler Gordon is a 30-40 prospect so very late first early second. If you put on his tape you can see why people are excited about him.

I like the guy a lot, his hips rotation and change of direction are great.  He has all the tools, I just think the 40 at the combine and his refusal to rerun it on pro day will prevent a 1st round selection.  I could be wrong.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 02:02 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Guy was a killer at the combine.

I went back and re-looked and it was his "inability on double moves, issues in man coverage, isnt dynamic or fluid at the top of routes"  - I think in remembering his negatives I projected it to be a speed issue.   Obviously wasnt that.  Cam is a tremendous athlete, I guess it is just cover skills in general?  He laid some serious hits.

TDN had it as he can bite on double moves but was good at zone. Considering we play almost exclusively zone, feels like a perfect set up.
Reply/Quote