Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Let's talk about Burrow
(12-13-2021, 07:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow has an extremely high ceiling indeed.  That’s not even up for debate.  At his best he is absolutely spectacular...

...but as it stands today his talent and potential are being wasted in Cincinnati. Joe Burrow did not turn out to be either the savior of the Bengals nor the single solution to all things Bengal.  No realistic fan expected this to happen given the current roster and coaching staff.  As I predicted after the 2020 Draft, Joe Burrow would resemble Archie Manning who was an amazing quarterback on an all time shitty team.  

Archie took lots of sacks and threw too many picks, just like Joe.  His lifetime record is 35-101-3.  Archie deserved better than the Saints gave him and again this mirrors Joe and the Bengals.

The front office and the coaches will have to do some soul-searching in the off-season. Obviously the changes to the offensive line have not kept Joe Burrow clean and he’s taking way more sacks than he should.

To see Joe Burrow’s true ceiling will require yet another look at the offensive line scheme.

I'm not sure you can say this right now.  2 years ago we had the #1 overall pick in the draft.  As it sits now we are 7-6 and have beaten Baltimore and Pittsburgh x2 in games that weren't even close.  How is he being wasted in Cincinnati?  It's year 2.  
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I have to ask - how long have you followed this team?  Because if you weren't around in the 90s, you'd realize that the "debungalization" has already happened.  That being said:

We are in year 1.5 of Burrow.  The team was the WORST team in the NFL 2 years ago.  They are 7-6 and have pounded some of the so-called elites this year.  They played the Packers dead even.  

That being said, will Taylor ever get any further than where they are?  I don't honestly know.

And as far as wasted talent goes, they got a hell of a lot out of Andy Dalton and went to the playoffs 5 straight years.  They obviously need to take the next step like they did in 2005 next year.  They also need to build on it the following year like they couldn't do in 06,07 and 08

That's the thing I worry about. Hell I wonder where JB could be right now with a better OC ?

He just needs a touch better oline. An OC that can come up with a better scheme/game plan. And some better in game playcalling and he would be among the best in the league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: In the GameDay thread, the usual Burrow vs Herbert crap popped up again. Please don't turn this thread into that again. Also, maybe keep the doom-and-gloom into the other threads, if possible, thanks.

But, how about those throws on the game tying drive. Dear Lord, those were beauties. On at least 2 of them, I remember a defender within millimeters of knocking the ball out of his hand and Burrow not only got the pass off but was dropping dimes like Phillips dropping balls.

If you didn't think Burrow had an elite level ceiling, you HAVE to think that now after that. Oh man, I need to change my underwear after thinking about those passes again. Mellow

I agree, and, even though I did not compare Burrow with anyone, I just stated, using hindsight, I don't think either QB would have been a bad pick.

Of course with some yahoos in here they took that and turned into the debate  you referenced above.

I like my son's take who agreed that either one would have NOT been a mistake for the Bengals, but he said, and I agree, Herbert is a good fit for LA and Burrow a good fit for Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 07:27 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I agree, and, even though I did not compare Burrow with anyone, I just stated, using hindsight, I don't think either QB would have been a bad pick.

Of course with some yahoos in here they took that and turned into the debate  you referenced above.

I like my son's take who agreed that either one would have NOT been a mistake for the Bengals, but he said, and I agree, Herbert is a good fit for LA and Burrow a good fit for Cincinnati.

This.  I thought at the time that we needed Burrow.  His personality and leadership was exactly what this team needed.  I think we made the right pick if we are talking Burrow and Herbert only.

However, if we would have taken the 3 #1's from the Dolphins to move back to #5, then you could make the argument that the package would outweigh either guy.

That being said, I just like Burrow better.  I can't put my finger on it, but I was such a big fan of his at LSU and how he approaches the game mentally that I really wouldn't trade him for anyone at this point.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I have to ask - how long have you followed this team?  Because if you weren't around in the 90s, you'd realize that the "debungalization" has already happened.  That being said:

We are in year 1.5 of Burrow.  The team was the WORST team in the NFL 2 years ago.  They are 7-6 and have pounded some of the so-called elites this year.  They played the Packers dead even.  

That being said, will Taylor ever get any further than where they are?  I don't honestly know.

And as far as wasted talent goes, they got a hell of a lot out of Andy Dalton and went to the playoffs 5 straight years.  They obviously need to take the next step like they did in 2005 next year.  They also need to build on it the following year like they couldn't do in 06,07 and 08

Yeah....Marvin debungalized them long ago.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 07:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm not sure you can say this right now.  2 years ago we had the #1 overall pick in the draft.  As it sits now we are 7-6 and have beaten Baltimore and Pittsburgh x2 in games that weren't even close.  How is he being wasted in Cincinnati?  It's year 2.  

The big wins are indeed amazing but we can’t ignore the embarrassingly bad losses to Cleveland and the Chargers.

To be fair this is much better than where I thought the Bengals would be in Zac Taylor’s third season.

Also, we’ve only played the Ravens once.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The 2005 team was good enough to win it all, but couldn't build on that momentum.  We are on year 2 of this group and have made great progress.  This offseason is the most important offseason that they've had in decades.  They have to chance to add the finishing touches on a championship level roster.
 I wanted to reply to what you said about the team getting alot out of Dalton. Your right they did and looking back I think a lot of those teams over achieved. I've also thought about how close we are and with just a few pieces in the right spots we can have a championship level roster. But right now this team is under achieving and I think thats all Zac has done since he's been here. 

So my question is what would Zac do with a championship level roster? My guess is he would continue to under achieve and accomplish the same thing an over achieving Andy Dalton led team accomplished.
Reply/Quote
I was impressed with how quickly he made his reads and got the ball out throwing some darts it thought spots despite the pocket collapsing quickly.

The kid is calm under pressure for sure.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 07:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's the thing I worry about. Hell I wonder where JB could be right now with a better OC ?

He just needs a touch better oline. An OC that can come up with a better scheme/game plan. And some better in game playcalling and he would be among the best in the league.
Burrow had an amazing finish to the game. But I felt like he was making really good throws all game outside of the one that should of been picked and then got tipped to Chase. It just felt like something was off with offense that wouldn't allow them to get going. We need someone new calling the plays. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 07:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The big wins are indeed amazing but we can’t ignore the embarrassingly bad losses to Cleveland and the Chargers.

To be fair this is much better than where I thought the Bengals would be in Zac Taylor’s third season.  

Not taking anything away from the sweep of the Steelers and game one over the Ravens.

However, I just think, for whatever reason, the Steelers and Ravens are NOT the teams they normally are this year, ONLY 
because of how they've performed against other teams.

I have no clue where they are injury wise but it's definitely an off year for them and the Bengals are playing at a level, better than they have since 2015.

Just saying.
Reply/Quote
[Image: good-that-boy-good.gif]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 08:28 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Not taking anything away from the sweep of the Steelers and game one over the Ravens.

However, I just think, for whatever reason, the Steelers and Ravens are NOT the teams they normally are this year, ONLY 
because of how they've performed against other teams.

I have no clue where they are injury wise but it's definitely an off year for them and the Bengals are playing at a level, better than they have since 2015.

Just saying.

The Ravens absolutely destroyed the league darling Chargers. They beat the Colts, who look like one of the better teams. And oh yeah, they also beat the Chiefs.

Just saying.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: good-that-boy-good.gif]

I'm before Essex comes in with a "Good n' terrible".
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 07:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The big wins are indeed amazing but we can’t ignore the embarrassingly bad losses to Cleveland and the Chargers.

We all keep saying or hearing "I didn't think they'd be here in Zac's 3rd season"... That's because most of us have little to no confidence in him. Yeah, we're better than what we were the past two seasons, but for the past two months, we're below .500. That's a problem, and that's a problem that needs solved from the sidelines. I'm tired of the we didn't come out prepared shit.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 09:01 PM)jason Wrote: That's a problem, and that's a problem that needs solved from the sidelines. I'm tired of the we didn't come out prepared shit.

Same here!

I never know which version of the Cincinnati Bengals I’m going to see in any given week. There is absolutely no excuse for not being prepared to play in the NFL. We don’t see Tampa Bay coming out unprepared. We don’t even see Cleveland coming out unprepared.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 09:01 PM)jason Wrote: We all keep saying or hearing "I didn't think they'd be here in Zac's 3rd season"... That's because most of us have little to no confidence in him. Yeah, we're better than what we were the past two seasons, but for the past two months, we're below .500. That's a problem, and that's a problem that needs solved from the sidelines. I'm tired of the we didn't come out prepared shit.

I neglected to point out that Joe Burrow is badass... Gonna be one of the greatest of this era. I just hope he's given all the help that he needs.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Will he survive the rest of the season?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Joe is burrowing toward eliteness !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 08:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Ravens absolutely destroyed the league darling Chargers. They beat the Colts, who look like one of the better teams. And oh yeah, they also beat the Chiefs.

Just saying.

They best the Chargers when the Chargers we're 4-1, and started their 4 out of 5 game skid, beat the Colts in OT, after their 1-3 start, struggled to beat the Lions, Bears, and Browns, oh my!

Lost to the Raiders, Dolphins, Bengals, and Steelers.

They beat the Chiefs by one point and started the Chiefs 4 out of 6 game skid.  

PLUS, handed the Bengals first place by losing to the Browns!

Just saying.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:35 PM)Spider Wrote: Well Its obvious Joe Burrow Simply cannot DeBungalize this team on his own..
Could lead to much more wasted talent this franchise is famous for..

We have been through this before....
Reply/Quote