Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about race
What is really difficult to address is when minorities get carried away with blaming everything on racism and refusing to take any responsibility for their own problems.  It is like when the #metoo movement kind of jumped the shark when a lady had a bad date with Aziz Ansari and claimed it was sexual assault.

A few years ago Don Lemon was preaching to blacks that if they wanted to prosper they were going to have to do something about the fact that over 70% of their children were born nd raised in single parent families.  Now that BLM said kids don't need two parents because they have "a village" he won't go there.  But there are plenty of stats to show that is BS, plus the simple economic realities of single parent families keep the black community from reaching its potential.

20 years ago black communities were requesting more education funding to help their kids who had been raised speaking African-American Vernacular English.  Now they claim that it is racist to tell children not to use African-American Vernacular English.

And many blacks still refuse to acknowledge that blacks commit violent crimes at a MUCH higher rate than whites other minorities (even when adjusted for socioeconomic status).  I probably know more about racial profiling and racial inequalities in the criminal justice system than anyone here.  Those are problems that hurt the black community, but I have also seen the numbers collected from black victims of crimes committed by other black people.  You can't blame the police or the criminal justice system when blacks are being arrested based on allegations from other black people.

I don't think it is my place to start lecturing to black people about these problems, but it frustrates me when I see black people denying these truths while lecturing white people about how we don't understand anything.

There are actually plenty of black people who try to address the glorification of violence, misogyny, and "thug life" in the Rap and Hip Hop culture, but they just don't get a lot of attention.  Again, I don't go there, but it gets annoying after a dozen facebook posts about how everything is the white mans fault.

And, of course, if I do ever mention any of these things I am labeled a racist by a lot of people.

What many people call a "discussion on race" is actually a "lecture to white people".  We can't have an actual "discussion" if only one side is allowed to speak.
Reply/Quote
I'll preface this by saying I live in a largely white community. There's less than a 3% minority population in my county and that only jumps to around 5% with contiguous counties, most of those being folks from Mexico.

But I don't see it as a racial issue as much of a poverty issue.

People in poverty, in my opinion, tend to look for a reason. They blame it on race, they blame it on hiring quotas knocking them out of good jobs, they blame it on whatever differences they can find.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 11:06 AM)Benton Wrote: I'll preface this by saying I live in a largely white community. There's less than a 3% minority population in my county and that only jumps to around 5% with contiguous counties, most of those being folks from Mexico.

People in poverty, in my opinion, tend to look for a reason. They blame it on race, they blame it on hiring quotas knocking them out of good jobs, they blame it on whatever differences they can find.

My zip hugs the west border of Baltimore City and is 90.2% minority (84% of that black). I don't hear a lot of issues where I am within the community. Sometimes some of the crime of the city comes over to our side, but it's usually something like people checking cars at night or stealing cars that are warming up for anyone still dumb enough to leave their car running. 

But jump across the major road cutting between the town and you go to the next zip which is 63.3% white and 29% black (slightly below the state average for White but the average for Black). Schools are less crowded on that side and newer. They tried to redistrict a few years ago and it got ugly. When they tried to alleviate overcrowding on my side by having kids go to schools on that side (it would maybe be a 5-8 minute bus ride), parents freaked out. 

Then when the public comments came out, it was neighbor versus neighbor. One of the people who tried to lead the parent fight against it was actually pretty progressive. A 45 year old Bernie Bro. That didn't matter when it came to who went to his kid's school, though. He tried to run for Board of Ed and he did not do well because of it. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 11:06 AM)Benton Wrote: I'll preface this by saying I live in a largely white community. There's less than a 3% minority population in my county and that only jumps to around 5% with contiguous counties, most of those being folks from Mexico.

https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/

This was something MLK was starting to get going before he was assassinated. The thought behind this was that the wealthy elites tend to push racial division to prevent the poor white crowd from realizing how much they are getting ****** by the wealthy elites. Keeping them focused on animosity towards other racial groups and blaming them for their ills means the wealthy elite can continue to rob everyone. I mean, I'm sure MLK wouldn't have used that language, but this is the premise behind all of this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
This is sure to cause some debate over Trump’s own views after his defense of Roger Stone. Whether fair or unfair, Trump is now attached to this man after the controversial commutation.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/507991-roger-stone-uses-racial-slur-in-interview-with-black-radio-host?rnd=1595165548&fbclid=IwAR04S6JTba0wEgmoo9EGhlFxaYblzVbDnM18j5EXqFzf_ufF8E-Zq75OdQw

Radio host Morris O’Kelly: “I do believe that certain people are treated differently in the federal justice system. I do absolutely believe that. But I also believe that your friendship and relationship and history with Donald Trump weighed more heavily than him just wanting to make sure that justice was done by a person in the justice system, that you were treated so unfairly. There are thousands of people treated unfairly daily. Hell, your number just happened to come up in the lottery. I'm guessing it was more than just luck, Roger, right?"

Stone: (pause) "I don't really feel like arguing with this negro."

It’s fascinating that in the current climate, Stone can’t even refrain from being offensive and ignorant.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 11:07 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This is sure to cause some debate over Trump’s own views after his defense of Roger Stone. Whether fair or unfair, Trump is now attached to this man after the controversial commutation.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/507991-roger-stone-uses-racial-slur-in-interview-with-black-radio-host?rnd=1595165548&fbclid=IwAR04S6JTba0wEgmoo9EGhlFxaYblzVbDnM18j5EXqFzf_ufF8E-Zq75OdQw

Radio host Morris O’Kelly: “I do believe that certain people are treated differently in the federal justice system. I do absolutely believe that. But I also believe that your friendship and relationship and history with Donald Trump weighed more heavily than him just wanting to make sure that justice was done by a person in the justice system, that you were treated so unfairly. There are thousands of people treated unfairly daily. Hell, your number just happened to come up in the lottery. I'm guessing it was more than just luck, Roger, right?"

Stone: (pause) "I don't really feel like arguing with this negro."

It’s fascinating that in the current climate, Stone can’t even refrain from being offensive and ignorant.

Mellow 

Hilarious
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote