Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Let's talk about roster depth...
What are your guys' thoughts on the current roster depth?

This team was one of the healthiest in the league last year and our depth really wasn't tested much. They were EXTREMELY lucky in that regard and the lack of injuries they had last year doesn't happen often.

I for one am a bit concerned about our current depth. Especially at CB, offensive line, interior defensive line, and safety.

I know FA isn't over yet and we still have the draft, but it would be a huge mistake going into this season not continuing to add quality depth pieces. We can't assume this team will get as lucky as last year with the lack of injuries. That was an anomaly.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 10:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are your guys' thoughts on the current roster depth?

This team was one of the healthiest in the league last year and our depth really wasn't tested much. They were EXTREMELY lucky in that regard and the lack of injuries they had last year doesn't happen often.

I for one am a bit concerned about our current depth. Especially at CB, offensive line, interior defensive line, and safety.

I know FA isn't over yet and we still have the draft, but it would be a huge mistake going into this season not continuing to add quality depth pieces. We can't assume this team will get as lucky as last year with the lack of injuries. That was an anomaly.

Fortunately we still have the draft to add depth. I'd like to see some veteran competition for Carman at LG though.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 10:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are your guys' thoughts on the current roster depth?

The depth at linebacker showed up nicely. When Ogunjobi went down Hill played awesome. But this team like everybody has roster holes. It’s just the current NFL. Baltimore had problems with depth as did Tampa at WR. But you identified some areas for sure.
Reply/Quote

As of now on the OL, are back ups played a lot in 2021. I am hopeful they can progress under Pollack. Our DL I think will be addressed in the draft and FA. 

I am not concerned about depth at all at this stage, I think we are way better at this point in time versus 2021.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 10:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: ***

This team was one of the healthiest in the league last year and our depth really wasn't tested much. They were EXTREMELY lucky in that regard 

I agree up until you state "extremely lucky." I guess compared to the previous two years. Before Reiff and Ogunjobi went down, the Bengals were rated 7th healthiest. The Rams, KC, and Bills were among teams rated higher. Then the Bengals lost two starters, but one was a starter on the one position group we couldn't lose a starter and that was the offensive line with Reiff. That was a huge loss. 

The Rams were actually rated healthier than the Bengals heading into the Super Bowl, even with the loss of their TE. The Bengals were fortunate during the season because, as you note, there wasn't much depth, and so the point you raise is important. But losing Reiff, having Carmen with the bad back, and Spain less than 100% was decidedly unlucky.
Reply/Quote
I am most concerned about our #4 CB.

#4 CB is like the first back up fo 3 different positions. Very likely to see a lot of playing time. And a defensive backfieled is only as strong as its weakest link. Doesn't help to have 2 CBs playing lock down coverage if the third is letting guys run open.

Also concerned about OT, but not as much as CB.

I did not want to rely on any rookie to start, but I could live with one at back up DT. Or maybe a #4 CB if he was a first round pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am most concerned about our #4 CB.

#4 CB is like the first back up fo 3 different positions. Very likely to see a lot of playing time. And a defensive backfieled is only as strong as its weakest link. Doesn't help to have 2 CBs playing lock down coverage if the third is letting guys run open.

I did not want to rely on any rookie to start, but I could live with one at back up DT. Or maybe a #4 CB if he was a first round pick.

Agreed. Always need good corners.
Reply/Quote
Depth with Chances to compete for a starting spot would probably be Cornerback, Under Tackle, Tight End but there are alot of other depth spots that need filled. Swing Offensive Tackle, Wide Receiver, Defensive End, Safety, Possibly Center and Quarterback....

Bengals were really lucky last year with injuries because their depth is not good.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think overall, our depth is better than most of us think. We look less deep at first glance because of how good our starters are. Bench players are on the bench for a reason; they usually have some hole in their game. A boundary corner to pair with Awuzie would still be nice, a 3 technique tackle that we could draft day 2 would be a good addition, another safety, which could be had easily on day 3 and a couple more rotational O Lineman to have in case of injury would be nice, but none of that is going to be difficult to obtain.
Reply/Quote
How nice is it that our biggest concerns are depth? Been a long time since we’ve had these kind of concerns.

We’ll sign 1-3 more players for depth. Then have the draft where I wouldn’t be surprised to see us trade back for more day 2 picks.

This team is not complete. DT, CB, S, pass rusher, OL, WR, TE. We could add to or upgrade depth at all of these spots.

With the 3 new starters on o line, sign Spain and I’m fine with our o line depth. Guys got valuable experience last year and will be backups this year. If one of them has to start we can survive that. We just can’t have 3-4 of them starting together (although we did make the super bowl with that many playing).

Sign a guy like Nelson at CB and we we will have nice depth there too even without drafting one (which I’d still want to do in the first 3-4 rounds-good CB depth this year).

Then we still could sign a backup 3T to solidify depth there too.

That would leave us with a very similar team to the one we had last year but with a MUCH better o line and solid depth across the board even before the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 01:39 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: How nice is it that our biggest concerns are depth? Been a long time since we’ve had these kind of concerns.

We’ll sign 1-3 more players for depth. Then have the draft where I wouldn’t be surprised to see us trade back for more day 2 picks.

This team is not complete. DT, CB, S, pass rusher, OL, WR, TE. We could add to or upgrade depth at all of these spots.

With the 3 new starters on o line, sign Spain and I’m fine with our o line depth. Guys got valuable experience last year and will be backups this year. If one of them has to start we can survive that. We just can’t have 3-4 of them starting together (although we did make the super bowl with that many playing).

Sign a guy like Nelson at CB and we we will have nice depth there too even without drafting one (which I’d still want to do in the first 3-4 rounds-good CB depth this year).

Then we still could sign a backup 3T to solidify depth there too.

That would leave us with a very similar team to the one we had last year but with a MUCH better o line and solid depth across the board even before the draft.

This sums up my thoughts 100%. Thanks for saving me some time. I'd love to go into this draft comfortable enough to where if someone falls like a Linderbaum, we can take him without worrying too much about CB depth. I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again. We will take a WR early. Maybe not R1, I think we're locked in on Defense according to Malik Wright, but we will take WR in the 2nd or 3rd. May wait till the 4th, but no later. I would be shocked. WR depth hopefully isn't going to be a huge need in '22, but better to be safe than sorry. 

I see TE being a spot we probably look past this draft with the addition of Hurst. I think they like what they got in him. I would love someone like McBride, Woods or Likely though.. 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I don't think any team ever has got to a total relaxation state with what they have in depth. There's always something some spots that you're worried about.

IMO we need CB depth, Dline depth/starter, a TE wouldn't hurt, even WR. And I'm not real happy with QB.
Reply/Quote

I disagree a bit. We had some pretty bad injuries, lost a lot of guys and depth players stood up and played well like BJ Hill,
Bachie, Apple, Bailey, Tupou on Defense and Carman and Prince on Offense. Adeniji sucked though, need better than that 
but he was injured too. I think this is a sign of good coaching being able to lose Reiff, Ogunjobi, ADG, Kareem, XSF, Spain, 
Hopkins playing injured for half the year, Waynes never playing, Wilson getting banged up etc.

We were a bit blessed, but acting like we were just lucky and injury free last year isn't necessarily true.
Reply/Quote

#4 CB is like the first back up fo 3 different positions.  Very likely to see a lot of playing time.  And a defensive backfieled is only as strong as its weakest link.  Doesn't help to have 2 CBs playing lock down coverage if the third is letting guys run open.

I did not want to rely on any rookie to start, but I could live with one at back up DT.  Or maybe a #4 CB if he was a first round pick.

Draft Dax Hill at 31 play him at CB this year and move him to Safety next year when we let Bates walk. Draft another CB later on as well.
Reply/Quote

Good post. I'm worried about this same thing. I had forgotten about safety when looking at the draft because of the lack of depth at other positions. As it stands right now I think DT, CB and OL are major needs in the draft. I also think LB is a need as we really only lineup with 2 and if either Pratt or Wilson got a significant injury we could be in trouble. Then also 4th WR is a need. Hopefully we add some more pieces if we could add Larry and either Reiff or Spain that would continue to help the draft. But really I think we need to seriously consider trading out of the first if we can pick up 2 extra day 2 picks. 
Reply/Quote
Excellent post.

We have the most experienced oline depth in the league... not the most talented.

CB and Safety are extremely thin depth wise.

DT can use a guy but might be the easiest to fill.

The draft can assuredly provide another DT and at least one more oline without much concern. Secondary guys drafted latter than the 1st round seem to be much more riskier. I would prefer we grab a vet prior to the the preseason... there are. some now and more will come available after the draft and prior to final cuts.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 08:09 PM)pulses Wrote: Draft Dax Hill at 31 play him at CB this year and move him to Safety next year when we let Bates walk. Draft another CB later on as well.

Daxton Hill is a safety that has come down and played some man coverage but that doesnt make him a Corner by any means. He is a Free Safety that fits a single high system like the Bengals run.

I would still pay Jessie Bates before drafting Daxton Hill.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

#4 CB is like the first back up fo 3 different positions.  Very likely to see a lot of playing time.  And a defensive backfieled is only as strong as its weakest link.  Doesn't help to have 2 CBs playing lock down coverage if the third is letting guys run open.

I did not want to rely on any rookie to start, but I could live with one at back up DT.  Or maybe a #4 CB if he was a first round pick.

This is a good concern, we are now championship contenders and there are a slew of old (29-32) solid backup vets. One will take a cheap deal to chase a ring and possibly press Eli for the starting or dime gig.  Peterson or Rhodes are an upgrade over Tre Flowers, though he would be a nice niche guy to bring back. Worst case you get an old Joe Haden. I don't like walt's commentary but here is a general list of available guys: https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2022CB.php

Then you have the draft, I agree I wouldn't want one starting. I could see the FO seeing CB currently as a must have in the 1st 2 rounds. I think they lean BPA between a handful of positions but would look to trade back a few slots for an extra pick and still land one of the few guys at a need. They have done this recently with Center (Bills trade), the Mixon pick and also for Carmen. We will end up with an old vet and a top 3 round rookie CB. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 07:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I disagree a bit. We had some pretty bad injuries, lost a lot of guys and depth players stood up and played well like BJ Hill,
Bachie, Apple, Bailey, Tupou on Defense and Carman and Prince on Offense. Adeniji sucked though, need better than that 
but he was injured too. I think this is a sign of good coaching being able to lose Reiff, Ogunjobi, ADG, Kareem, XSF, Spain, 
Hopkins playing injured for half the year, Waynes never playing, Wilson getting banged up etc.

We were a bit blessed, but acting like we were just lucky and injury free last year isn't necessarily true.

and Ossai before the season even began. 

This is the best shape I can remember a Bengals team being in heading into the draft in a long time and am excited. Sure there are still needs, but every team has them like Bengalsfan74 pointed out and believe when it's said and done we all will be feeling good about it. 

Expecting a last minute FA signing and the rest from the draft. Maybe even somebody that's released during camp that wants to Chase a ring and take a one year prove it type contract.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

This is what I had just been thinking with the draft and the CB position. If pick 31 comes around and an offensive lineman that we really like has fallen than maybe you take him. But if that's gone then it has to be CB unless there is a trade back opportunity that doesn't have us fall to far back with a good return. I think we'll have a higher probability of getting a capable DT a little later than a CB. CB is probably our biggest priority heading into the draft and one we really can't risk missing out on. I also think signing Spain and Reiff might be the 2 biggest moves we could still make before the draft. I really want to draft an OL in this draft but if we don't get one in the 1st they will most likely be a project. So get it completely shored up and if one falls in your lap than take them. 
Reply/Quote