Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Let's talk some Jackson Carman
Jackson Carman got alot of unfair criticism during the offseason but this was a 5 star high ceiling draft pick. Through 4 1/2 games Carman has had some ups and downs but he is showing alot of upside for the future.

This first clip is a wide zone block where Carman needs to cross the face of the DT but also turn back into the line and get his hands inside. Text book block shows his explosion athleticism and power. I remember during the Steelers game he was firing out and crossing the face but not turning back into the line of scrimmage vs Cameron Heyward.. He did 1 arm throw Heyward once though lol.

Starting with the pass pro which we seen alot of vs Ravens here is Carman firing forward with a jump set and burying the defender into the ground.

Here is Carman passing off the defender to Reiff and picking up the OLB on a twist.

Here is a bad play by Carman who is in position but tries to put a hand out on the looping linebacker and never gets his hands on the DT.

Jackson Carman is a work in progress like most rookie Offensive Linemen but he is showing to be a scheme versatile right guard that is improving every single week.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Crazy that our guards are also becoming a strength on this team. Spain has become a pro bowl guard and Carmen is also starting to play at a high level in only 5 games. Few bumps here and there but improvements each week. Spain last year played all over the line because of injuries. This year he’s been locked in at LG and has been solid from day 1. Also finally got Hopkins in the green this week according to PFF. Thank you Frank Pollock. Front office and Taylor did an awesome job putting together this coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
Great thread Synric. Should sticky this as I think this is the pick that really made it okay to take Chase at 5 which as we
see is really paying off. I knew it would take some time making the switch all the way from LT to RG, complete position
switch but looks like he is really starting to come around. That block on Brandon Williams where he just took him 20 yards
downfield was INSANE MAULING! Also love that pancake on the next one.

Even on Carman's play here where he makes a mistake he doesn't quit which says a lot.
Reply/Quote
We triple dipped on OL in this draft and by doing so rebuilt the OL depth chart. And so far it is paying off as all three picks have flashed at minimum and Carman with extended playing time is showing he belongs. Trey Hill once he settled down was also effective and D'Ante Smith looks good too.
Reply/Quote
Love to see it

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
That bad play you highlight was actually a problem more than once on Sunday. And it wasn't that Carman failed to get a hand on the linebacker. It's a designed method of hitting Carman from the side to move him off of his man. They need to adjust their scheme to account for it because it was very, very effective. JT O'Sullivan gave a good breakdown on a different play, similar result: https://youtu.be/L8BcMUiZrSo?t=81
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 05:34 PM)MickMack Wrote: That bad play you highlight was actually a problem more than once on Sunday.  And it wasn't that Carman failed to get a hand on the linebacker.  It's a designed method of hitting Carman from the side to move him off of his man.  They need to adjust their scheme to account for it because it was very, very effective.  JT O'Sullivan gave a good breakdown on a different play, similar result: https://youtu.be/L8BcMUiZrSo?t=81

They actually picked it up okay. The blitzer intentionally took a super flat rush inside to pick Carman. He recovers decently and Joe actually could have climbed the pocket there and been okay but he had already decided he was throwing the ball. Joe is setup 9 yards deep there, there is no real protection for taking a looper away when your QB has stretched the pocket that deep back. The looper is on a line for about 7-8 yards so if he climbs there he would have been fine not to take the hit.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 04:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Jackson Carman got alot of unfair criticism during the offseason but this was a 5 star high ceiling draft pick. Through 4 1/2 games Carman has had some ups and downs but he is showing alot of upside for the future.

Jackson Carman is a work in progress like most rookie Offensive Linemen but he is showing to be a scheme versatile right guard that is improving every single week.

I deleted the videos because you already shared them but wanted to reply to you directly.

A little reminder to you (although we are on the same side and supporting this kid) and others about Carman:

The guy had a herniated disc with 5 games to go his Senior year.  The smart thing to do was to shut it down, get surgery, and get ready for the combine.  Not this guy.  Not Jackson Carman.  He chose to have injections before games and try to win a National Championship.  Remember, he had already won one there.  He wanted to finish the season and play for the title.  

Up until the point of his surgery, he had one penalty and no sacks given up all season.  After the injury, he gave up five. That might have hurt his draft stock, not to mention that delaying his surgery prevented him from participating in the combine and the Clemson Pro Day.

He shows up to Cincy (allegedly, no one came out and said this) in less-than-desirable shape.  He gets called out by coaches and gets demoted behind D'Ante Smith and (PUKE) Mike Jordan.  

He didn't whine and cry (see, Dunlap?).  He didn't attack the coaches publicly.  He didn't give up.  He quietly stayed after practice EVERY DAY and put in extra work to catch up on his technique and conditioning.  

Has he been Quinten Nelson from Day 1?  No, not even close.  But he is ascending, and I love his character. 

Why am I going over this story again?  Because I just herniated a disc a few weeks ago and it SUCKS ASS.  I am being told of what it will be like post surgery.  I will be able to drive AFTER TWO WEEKS.  I will be able to lift heavy from bending in SIX MONTHS.  Wow.  This guy was at OTAs, what, three months after the surgery?  I get the conditioning, and I get that he is catching up every week.  We have gotten his best games against pitt and Baltimore.  Remember how so many players seemed to have their worst games against those two?  

I just wanted to say I am thrilled he is our RG and the future looks very bright for him.  
Reply/Quote
I definitely think we have something with him. Is he great atm? No. But he’s shown enough flashes (especially for a 21 year old that switched positions). Don’t let his PFF grades fool you. He isn’t a Michael Jordan, Billy Price, etc. He’s making some mistakes, but he’s not out there getting dominated like those guys. Quite the opposite on some of our running plays.

I think Mixon is going to love running behind this dude for the next few years.

Reply/Quote
PFF gave him the play of the week for his block on Perine's TD. And said this was his best game out of his four starts. And he graded extremely high (89.7?) in limited snaps vs Detroit. Also some deserved love for Chase in there.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-7-team-of-the-week-awards-key-takeaways-2021

All from a kid learning a new position. He is improving rapidly. Having your best game vs the Ravens D really says something. I was not impressed by the pick on draft day, and early reports out of camp were not great. But Carman has gotten healthy, gotten in shape, gotten better, and is now starting to have breakout/dominant plays that show a really high ceiling. Price & MJ never had those.

Great work from Carman, Pollack, ZT, and Duke.
Reply/Quote
I don't think you will be able to keep him at G for long. It would be great to have Reiff hang around and provide serviceable RT play for a few more years. But I think Carman winds up at T sooner or later. Big ol dude is an athlete.

I loved the pick but really haven't had a chance to focus on him this year. I absolutely love that second clip. He jumps out and shocks that guy like a cartoon character and buries him.
Reply/Quote
Doing very well IMO with a ton of upside. Marries in beautifully with the Chase pick as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 08:03 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don't think you will be able to keep him at G for long. It would be great to have Reiff hang around and provide serviceable RT play for a few more years. But I think Carman winds up at T sooner or later. Big ol dude is an athlete.

I loved the pick but really haven't had a chance to focus on him this year. I absolutely love that second clip. He jumps out and shocks that guy like a cartoon character and buries him.

Carman struggles too much with speed rushers to play OT at the NFL level. He’s a perfect RG though. That’s why at least one outlet had him as the 2nd best OG prospect in this draft class after AVT.

If the future RT is already currently on this team, it’s D’Ante Smith.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 05:06 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Crazy that our guards are also becoming a strength on this team.  Spain has become a pro bowl guard and Carmen is also starting to play at a high level in only 5 games. Few bumps here and there but improvements each week. Spain last year played all over the line because of injuries. This year he’s been locked in at LG and has been solid from day 1. Also finally got Hopkins in the green this week according to PFF. Thank you Frank Pollock. Front office and Taylor did an awesome job putting together this coaching staff.

Be happy that NYJ let him go and that he was willing to come back to the Bengals after only a 1-year stint.
He was the one coach no one wanted to see leave from Marvin's crew, and he was replaced with arguably the coach the fans disliked the most (Turner).

Pollack hasn't exactly turned water into wine with this OL, but he's helped get the unit into an average OL, which is a (big) step up from 2019-2020.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I never understood the disdain for the pick. He was projected to go in the second in almost every mock I looked at, and his potential was massive.
Reply/Quote
I liked the Carman pick a lot, but he deserved the criticism for showing up out of shape. And he did struggle in training camp.

He is still a work in progress, but he has shown great improvement. I am still excited about his potential.

When Clint Boling was forced to start as a rookie he also struggled.  I think Carman will be fine.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 08:57 PM)samhain Wrote: I never understood the disdain for the pick.  He was projected to go in the second in almost every mock I looked at, and his potential was massive.

A lot of people did not like him just because he was not Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 08:57 PM)samhain Wrote: I never understood the disdain for the pick.  He was projected to go in the second in almost every mock I looked at, and his potential was massive.

As you know, same here. I had him as one of my top picks in the 2nd. To trade back get him and D'Ante Smith and Shelvin 
made the Draft so much better. Have high hopes for both these guys too, just too much talent and experience in front of 
Shelvin right now for him to play yet. Hope D'Ante heals up and can play some in a pinch and get some snaps soon.

Especially if we get up big on some more teams this season.
Reply/Quote

Some folks just wanna be mad, but I do recall one of the bigger issues was that folks were upset about losing Sewell at #5 but were thinking Teven Jenkins would be a good 2nd rd consolation prize. We think trade out of that spot.

The trade netted us Carman, Shelvin, and D. Smith. So far, so good.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
That trade was ridiculous. 2 4s for dropping back 8 spots? In a draft as deep as people thought this was? We got three potential starters (2 will be and the third has promise).
Reply/Quote