Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Let's talk some Jackson Carman
(10-26-2021, 08:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Carman struggles too much with speed rushers to play OT at the NFL level. He’s a perfect RG though. That’s why at least one outlet had him as the 2nd best OG prospect in this draft class after AVT.

If the future RT is already currently on this team, it’s D’Ante Smith.

Smith may be the one and that would be great if so and agree Carman is more suited for G than OT. 

But really think Center and RT will need to be the top priorities in offseason and grab a CB in FA. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pretty amazing, the draft re-cap thus far:  

• Round 1 • Pick 5 • WR Ja’Marr Chase, LSU Tigers (breakdown) (grade)- STUD
  • Round 2 • Pick 46 • OT Jackson Carman, Clemson Tigers (breakdown) (grade)- Quality Starter
  • Round 3 • 69 • DE Joseph Ossai, Texas Longhorns (breakdown) (grade)- Injured in preseason
  • Round 4 • Pick 111 • DE Cameron Sample, Tulane Green Wave (breakdown) (grade)- Solid rotational player
  • Round 4 • Pick 122 • DT Tyler Shelvin, LSU Tigers (breakdown) (grade)-Developmental DT
  • Round 4 • Pick 139 • OT D’Ante Smith, ECU Pirates (breakdown) (grade)- Development OT that already impressed
  • Round 5 • Pick 149 • K Evan McPherson, Florida Gators (breakdown) (grade)- STUD
  • Round 6 • Pick 190 • C Trey Hill, Georgia Bulldogs (breakdown) (grade)- Developmental C that already had solid play
  • Round 6 • Pick 202 • RB Chris Evans, Michigan Wolverines (breakdown) (grade)- STUD
  • Round 7 • Pick 235 • DE Wyatt Hubert, Kansas State Wildcats (breakdown)- Injured.
  • When you factor in that you only get 7 picks to begin with and the Bengals ended up with 10 because of a Ryan Finley fleecing (I mean trade) of the Texans and sliding in round 2 to get 2 additional 4th rounders from the Pats, it is downright amazing.  Three certified studs, a quality starter, two other offensive lineman that have flashed.  A developmental DT that doesn't have to play right away and will be focusing on conditioning and strength.  We also saw that Ossai could also be a stud.  This draft class is contributing NOW.  They are just kids!  Amazing.  

Plus the FA class has been incredible as well. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:38 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Smith may be the one and that would be great if so and agree Carman is more suited for G than OT. 

But really think Center and RT will need to be the top priorities in offseason and grab a CB in FA. 

Yes, Carman is made for Guard, I think he can be one of the best Guards we have ever had. He would get beat by speed rushers 
in the NFL if he was playing OT though. This is his one weakness. D'Ante has quicker feet is longer and is not just a mauler, he is
better fit at OT than Carman. Would love for Lindenbaum the Center from Iowa to fall to us at 32 in the Draft next year.

I don't know who will be available in FA yet but yeah I would look for a Center there or another RT if we don't bring back Reiff.

CB might be our thought in the first round, it is always a good investment to grab a Corner early in the Draft more so than OL 
who are a gamble at times. Sauce Gardner CB out of Cincy sure would be awesome, love this guy and the other CB on Cincy in
Coby Bryant. But there are lots of good Corners that should be available late in the first.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 01:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, Carman is made for Guard, I think he can be one of the best Guards we have ever had. He would get beat by speed rushers 
in the NFL if he was playing OT though. This is his one weakness. D'Ante has quicker feet is longer and is not just a mauler, he is
better fit at OT than Carman. Would love for Lindenbaum the Center from Iowa to fall to us at 32 in the Draft next year.

I don't know who will be available in FA yet but yeah I would look for a Center there or another RT if we don't bring back Reiff.

CB might be our thought in the first round, it is always a good investment to grab a Corner early in the Draft more so than OL 
who are a gamble at times. Sauce Gardner CB out of Cincy sure would be awesome, love this guy and the other CB on Cincy in
Coby Bryant. But there are lots of good Corners that should be available late in the first.

Nate man.  I love your optimism.  You have us drafting at 32.   Tongue

I do not believe this talk of a center in FA or the draft at all.  Hopkins is recovering from his injury and getting better every week and the future of the C position is Hill.  He is an absolute mauler, and it is clear that the coaches like him AND he's flashed when he's been in.  We have a starter and his backup/replacement on the Team.  I do not believe it will be prioritized in FA or the draft for a couple years.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 03:01 PM)Stewy Wrote: Nate man.  I love your optimism.  You have us drafting at 32.   Tongue

I do not believe this talk of a center in FA or the draft at all.  Hopkins is recovering from his injury and getting better every week and the future of the C position is Hill.  He is an absolute mauler, and it is clear that the coaches like him AND he's flashed when he's been in.  We have a starter and his backup/replacement on the Team.  I do not believe it will be prioritized in FA or the draft for a couple years.

It is possible, not saying it is going to happen but...

I was just saying that so someone would catch it. Hope we are drafting that late lol

Could be right, doesn't have to be primarily a Center either, just saying interior player that can play Center. Cause yeah, Hop
is decent when he is healthy he just hasn't been 100% so far this year. Trey Hill I love, he is actually the player we needed 
along with Carman coming on. OT on both sides might even be more of a need considering Reiff's age. I think we might bring
back Reiff though and D'Ante Smith or Adeniji could be the guys in the wings as replacement options.

Definitely going to have to pay Quinton Spain this Offseason, this is a priority with how well he has played for us this year IMO.

Just want to keep the trenches on both sides rotating with good players. We are better off than some claim right now though.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 06:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is possible, not saying it is going to happen but...

I was just saying that so someone would catch it. Hope we are drafting that late lol

Could be right, doesn't have to be primarily a Center either, just saying interior player that can play Center. Cause yeah, Hop
is decent when he is healthy he just hasn't been 100% so far this year. Trey Hill I love, he is actually the player we needed 
along with Carman coming on. OT on both sides might even be more of a need considering Reiff's age. I think we might bring
back Reiff though and D'Ante Smith or Adeniji could be the guys in the wings as replacement options.

Definitely going to have to pay Quinton Spain this Offseason, this is a priority with how well he has played for us this year IMO.

Just want to keep the trenches on both sides rotating with good players. We are better off than some claim right now though.

I agree with all of that, except it could be and maybe likely is that they see Hill replacing Spain at LG, and letting Spain go collect his payday from someone else.  In that case a nice IL c/g draft pick would be good, but with and interior of Hill/Hop/Cam or perhaps Hop/Hill/Cam, they'd be looking for more young backup in the 3-5th rounds, allowing BPA that's not a QB/WR to be 1st/2nd round.

What I am saying is that people really need to be prepared for this team REALLY liking the kids from this draft, and the players currently on the team leading to a lack of OL high in the next draft.  I'm sensing secondary or TE or a strong DL/DE, but definitely not OLine in the 1st or perhaps even 2nd, unless someone drops.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 07:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: I agree with all of that, except it could be and maybe likely is that they see Hill replacing Spain at LG, and letting Spain go collect his payday from someone else.  In that case a nice IL c/g draft pick would be good, but with and interior of Hill/Hop/Cam or perhaps Hop/Hill/Cam, they'd be looking for more young backup in the 3-5th rounds, allowing BPA that's not a QB/WR to be 1st/2nd round.

What I am saying is that people really need to be prepared for this team REALLY liking the kids from this draft, and the players currently on the team leading to a lack of OL high in the next draft.  I'm sensing secondary or TE or a strong DL/DE, but definitely not OLine in the 1st or perhaps even 2nd, unless someone drops.

Well we have a coach here now that I have the utmost trust in coaching up these young guys so I would understand...

Others, not so much. Some think we need to go OL first 3 rounds next draft and will never be happy it seems.
Reply/Quote
One thing to consider is that if we ascend to contender status, we might get the FA discount from time to time, instead of having to overpay guys to come here.

We have a goodly number of FAs that have earned a raise to decide on next year:

Bates
Spain
Ogunjobi
Uzomah
Reiff
Tupou
Apple
BJ Hill
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 07:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: I agree with all of that, except it could be and maybe likely is that they see Hill replacing Spain at LG, and letting Spain go collect his payday from someone else.  In that case a nice IL c/g draft pick would be good, but with and interior of Hill/Hop/Cam or perhaps Hop/Hill/Cam, they'd be looking for more young backup in the 3-5th rounds, allowing BPA that's not a QB/WR to be 1st/2nd round.

Would not think it would be a DE with Ossai already drafted and looking like a stud in preseason before getting injured. 

Not sure there would be enough balls to go around if a stud TE were drafted with this WR corps, unless of course we neglect to re-sign CJ

See OL, DL, and CB as next years draft and FA needs personally unless losing key pieces in FA

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Will also say that this Bengals team will be attractive for FA to land this offseason as well.

That is usually not the case for Bengals teams, yet could see many players interested in playing with this current group of Bengals.

The future is bright while we have Burrow and Chase still on rookie deals where we can build around them monetarily still.

See us in a 3 year window that has just begun and would not mind seeing the Bengals actually trade up to get a player they really covet in next years draft, sign a big name FA, or both. Whatever position the coaches deem they need.

Bengals need to sieze this opportunity while we have very few needs still imo.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 10:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A quick google search tells me Titans center Ben Jones will be a FA. He’s currently grading out at 72.8 by PFF. He’s a couple years younger than Kelce, but yeah, unfortunately the FA center market is pretty slim pickings this year.

A name to throw out there is James Daniels. Daniels has center experience but has played mostly guard in the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Carman is developing nicely. As he gets more reps the muffed plays are disappearing and we are seeing more of the high end plays. We have a keeper at RG and together with Spain at LG this is the best the Guard room has looked in years. The biggest proof is Burrow is having pockets to maneuver in and time to throw.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 06:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
That’s a sack last season…

Absolutely.

I think last year our O-line got beat more on stunts and blitzes than just being physically overmatched.  Way too much confusion.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 06:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is possible, not saying it is going to happen but...

I agree with all of this.    My approach given the current roster of skill positions is that we continue to draft Oline and Dline early in the draft.   The more depth/competition we have in those positions, the better the foundation is for the team long term to continue to be competitive.   

The way the last couple of years have gone in the draft coupled with how this year is going so far, I really feel this team is very close to turning the corner and becoming a contender year-in and year-out.    
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Absolutely.

I think last year our O-line got beat more on stunts and blitzes than just being physically overmatched.  Way too much confusion.

Here is a really good clip. The two interior defenders show drop Rieff and Carman pick up the OLB. The 3/4 end faked his drop and does a loop but Reiff sees it and picks it up while Carman washes the OLB down the line and passes him off to Hopkins. Carman gets his head around after passing off and picks up the End making an inside move.

After watching a ton of Offensive Line tape over the past few years for the draft watching the right side so in sync was amazing.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Showing Turner the door and hiring Pollack
Was the best move this front office made in 2021.
Good to see the Anti-Pollack crowd is
Silenced.
Reply/Quote
From what I remember pre-draft was that he doesn't have a good off season lifestyle (lazy, gets out of shape) and I think that's how he arrived at the beginning of the season, meaning, no effort was put when he was even drafted, sure anyone can get a vacation, but once you've been drafted, it's almost like getting a call from the employer saying "you're hired" see you in a couple of months.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 02:22 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: I agree with all of this.    My approach given the current roster of skill positions is that we continue to draft Oline and Dline early in the draft.   The more depth/competition we have in those positions, the better the foundation is for the team long term to continue to be competitive.   

The way the last couple of years have gone in the draft coupled with how this year is going so far, I really feel this team is very close to turning the corner and becoming a contender year-in and year-out.    

Yes, great time to be a Bengals fan as long as we keep the trenches stacked.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 02:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Here is a really good clip. The two interior defenders show drop Rieff and Carman pick up the OLB. The 3/4 end faked his drop and does a loop but Reiff sees it and picks it up while Carman washes the OLB down the line and passes him off to Hopkins. Carman gets his head around after passing off and picks up the End making an inside move.

After watching a ton of Offensive Line tape over the past few years for the draft watching the right side so in sync was amazing.

Beautiful blocking. Wink
Reply/Quote