Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Let the cuts begin
(08-27-2023, 09:41 AM)pally Wrote: Hudson is the 2nd best receiver in the TE ranks.  Wilcox still appears to be the better blocker and special teams player. What the team really needs is a Mitch Hudson or a Tanner Wilcox.

I think special teams wins out for this TE3.  So do they go one more deep or does TE4 languish on the PS squad until needed. And based on Bengals history, he will be needed

Agree with the mash-up of players 

and believe the highlighted will be the avenue the Bengals choose. Although do believe eventually the TE designated to PS gets poached long before playoffs arrive. 

Guess its just me not being a big fan of Sample's and would rather just keep Wilcox and Hudson as insurance behind Smith. Yet know the coaches are fond enough of Sample that this probably will not even be considered. 

If Irv Smith remains healthy it will not really matter anyway. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 10:36 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: There has been some clips. From what little I've seen he may be used a little more down the field then we saw from Hurst. He seems to be having a good camp and probably a good indication of that is his lack of presence in the preseason games. 

Good to know! I don't live in Cinci anymore so wasn't sure if things were discussed more mahbe on local stations. Glad he's making plays and I would guess his injury history probably plays a part in his lack of playtime in preseason too, in addition to him being clear TE1. 
Reply/Quote
It feels like they always go get 1 or 2 guys off of waivers too.
Reply/Quote
Some have asked about us going after a vet RB. James Robinson was cut from the Jets. He was very good in Jaxonville a couple of years ago.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I had high hopes for Kirkland, but he'll be lucky to make the 53
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 09:41 AM)pally Wrote: Hudson is the 2nd best receiver in the TE ranks.  Wilcox still appears to be the better blocker and special teams player. What the team really needs is a Mitch Hudson or a Tanner Wilcox.

I think special teams wins out for this TE3.  So do they go one more deep or does TE4 languish on the PS squad until needed. And based on Bengals history, he will be needed

Isn't there a certain number of guys we can put on PS and protect them from being taken by another team? 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 11:34 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Isn't there a certain number of guys we can put on PS and protect them from being taken by another team? 

Its 2 or 3 players each week and only during game weeks

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Passing of the torch?

Michael Thomas handed Tycen Anderson his jersey after the game. Thomas has been mentoring Anderson, especially for the "personal protector" role he plays on special teams.

I can't imagine a classier way for Thomas to say "You're ready kid"

I do hope for sheer leadership purposes that Thomas hangs around on the practice squad. Shoot make him a player-coach and use all that wiley veteran knowledge

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:33 AM)pally Wrote: I think there are very few real questions.  In no particular order

1) does Stanley Morgan’s special teams play keep him on the team at WR7
2) does Mike Thomas’s special teams play keep him on the team at S4 or even 5
3) did Tanner Hudson beat out Mitch Wilcox for TE3 or do they keep 4 on the 53
4) did Raymond Johnson do enough to break into the DT ranks?  
5) is Jake Browning QB2 or are they shopping the waiver wires?
6) are any of the injuries (Ossai-ankle, Smith-shoulder, Turner-hamstring) serious enough for a stint on IR?
7) did they see enough from Scharping for him to be C2?

This is a well thought out list.

The other question is do we go to the waiver wire to grab someone like James Robinson to back up Mixon. I like Evans and Brown and not likely, but some have been clamoring for us to grab a vet. To me Evans and Williams are inexpensive vets.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 11:48 AM)pally Wrote: Passing of the torch?

Michael Thomas handed Tycen Anderson his jersey after the game.  Thomas has been mentoring Anderson, especially for the "personal protector" role he plays on special teams.  

I can't imagine a classier way for Thomas to say "You're ready kid"

I do hope for sheer leadership purposes that Thomas hangs around on the practice squad.  Shoot make him a player-coach and use all that wiley veteran knowledge

I think he made mention of being open to coming back on the practice squad. This would make the most sense since he couldn't get claimed off waivers like some of the younger guys.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 11:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I had high hopes for Kirkland, but he'll be lucky to make the 53

I was surprised we were actually able to sign Kirkland, was hopeful as well.

I dont see any way he makes the 53 and would not be surprised if he didnt make the practice squad, he has been awful.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 03:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I was surprised we were actually able to sign Kirkland, was hopeful as well.

I dont see any way he makes the 53 and would not be surprised if he didnt make the practice squad, he has been awful.

Give him a year of NFL coaching and conditioning and reevaluate next year

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 03:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I was surprised we were actually able to sign Kirkland, was hopeful as well.

Have also been surprised Kirkland has been this bad. Somebody knew something and that is why he went undrafted I guess.

He was really good at Washington, I don't know what is wrong with him, maybe injury or something?

(08-27-2023, 03:59 PM)pally Wrote: Give him a year of NFL coaching and conditioning and reevaluate next year

Yeah, I still would put him on the PS just going off of what he did at Washington.

Maxwell was the other UDFA I was excited about but he got hurt. I do like Shed Jackson and what I have seen of him.

Maybe he makes it if we keep 7 WR's, who knows. Definitely hope he is at the very least put on the PS, I like this guy and hope 
no one picks him up off of our PS if that is where we put Shed.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 03:59 PM)pally Wrote: Give him a year of NFL coaching and conditioning and reevaluate next year

I would be totally shocked if he made the 53.  If they think they can eventually coach him up the PS is an option, but we have many below average players that are competing for the PS.  

How many bacjup oline are we keeping on the 53?

LC is the only guarantee.
Scharping, Hill or Brown?  1 or 2 of these?
Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Ford? 1 or 2 of these?

How many are we keeping on the PS?

At least 3 maybe 4 of the above are candidates.
We only kept 2 oline on the practice squad last year.
16 PS spots and these guys would seem highly likely:

Morgan if he doesnt make the 53
Taylor
Thomas if he doesnt make the 53
Wilcox or Hudson if they dont keep 4 TEs
Browning or Siemian
Johnson lll
Davis
Gunter
George

Question marks:
Corker?
Heyward?
Saylors?
Jackson?
Lassiter?

The initial PS last year:
1 QB
1 OT
1 OG
2 WR
2 TE
2 DT
1 DE
2 LB
1 CB
1 S
1 P
1 LS

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I would be totally shocked if he made the 53.  If they think they can eventually coach him up the PS is an option, but we have many below average players that are competing for the PS.  

How many bacjup oline are we keeping on the 53?

LC is the only guarantee.
Scharping, Hill or Brown?  1 or 2 of these?
Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Ford? 1 or 2 of these?

How many are we keeping on the PS?

At least 3 maybe 4 of the above are candidates.
We only kept 2 oline on the practice squad last year.
16 PS spots and these guys would seem highly likely:

Morgan if he doesnt make the 53
Taylor
Thomas if he doesnt make the 53
Wilcox or Hudson if they dont keep 4 TEs
Browning or Siemian
Johnson lll
Davis
Gunter
George

Question marks:
Corker?
Heyward?
Saylors?
Jackson?
Lassiter?

The initial PS last year:
1 QB
1 OT
1 OG
2 WR
2 TE
2 DT
1 DE
2 LB
1 CB
1 S
1 P
1 LS

I think Gunter and Davis make the 53. If not, I think a team would try and trade for them.

I like Jackson also, hopefully he can make the PS.

I think Kirkland makes the PS, I agree with others, give him a year on the PS to develop.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:30 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think Gunter and Davis make the 53. If not, I think a team would try and trade for them.

I like Jackson also, hopefully he can make the PS.

I think Kirkland makes the PS, I agree with others, give him a year on the PS to develop.

You think we are keeping 12 total DEs and DTs?  Or are you cutting Tufele and Sample?

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You think we are keeping 12 total DEs and DTs?  Or are you cutting Tufele and Sample?
Davis is a CB, not a DL and yes I think he makes the 53.
Sample is a guy I think we may possibly trade.
I think we may have some very good players on the PS if no trades are made as Carney also looked good, Johnson III was probably our best DL in preseason.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Davis is a CB, not a DL and yes I think he makes the 53.
Sample is a guy I think we may possibly trade.
I think we may have some very good players on the PS if no trades are made as Carney also looked good, Johnson III was probably our best DL in preseason.

Jalen Davis is on the 53, it would be a shocker if he wasnt.  

Dominic Davis is the questionable player, he is a DT.

Trading Cam is an interesting thought...

Reply/Quote

I was glad we got him as an UDFA but he has been pretty bad.  I agree, no way he makes the 53.  I do think he played better against Washington but at best he only makes it to the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
On the O-line I think Kirkland, Ben Brown and Nate Gilliam have a chance at the practice squad.

Cody Ford should be cut and forgot about but it wouldnt surprise me Orlando Brown's buddy gets signed to the practice squad.

I think the guys that make the 53 are Brown, Volson, Karras, Cappa and Williams with Carman, Adeniji, Scharping, and Smith as the backups although I wouldnt be shocked if Smith were cut.

I believe Scharping showing he can play Center makes Hill expendable.

Collins is on the IR.
Reply/Quote