Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Let the cuts begin
(08-27-2023, 06:02 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Jalen Davis is on the 53, it would be a shocker if he wasnt.  

Dominic Davis is the questionable player, he is a DT.

Trading Cam is an interesting thought...

I thought Domenique Davis showed some real promise but he kind of fizzled out late in the Washington game.  I doubt he makes the 53 but he would be good to have on the practice squad.  I dont think he did enough to worry about another team taking him although a needy team could

The guy on the bubble that I would be most worried about trying to sneak on the practice squad would be Johnson III.  He looked really good in preseason.  The problem is I dont think we have a spot for him.  That is going to be a tough call
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 07:08 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I thought Domenique Davis showed some real promise but he kind of fizzled out late in the Washington game.  I doubt he makes the 53 but he would be good to have on the practice squad.  I dont think he did enough to worry about another team taking him although a needy team could

The guy on the bubble that I would be most worried about trying to sneak on the practice squad would be Johnson III.  He looked really good in preseason.  The problem is I dont think we have a spot for him.  That is going to be a tough call

For no particular reason other than the Bengals were the only team to claim him last year, I thought that maybe there was a better chance to keep Tufele safe on the PS than Johnson, which is why I chose Johnson to make the 53

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I would be totally shocked if he made the 53.  If they think they can eventually coach him up the PS is an option, but we have many below average players that are competing for the PS.  

How many bacjup oline are we keeping on the 53?

LC is the only guarantee.
Scharping, Hill or Brown?  1 or 2 of these?
Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Ford? 1 or 2 of these?

How many are we keeping on the PS?

At least 3 maybe 4 of the above are candidates.
We only kept 2 oline on the practice squad last year.
16 PS spots and these guys would seem highly likely:

Morgan if he doesnt make the 53
Taylor
Thomas if he doesnt make the 53
Wilcox or Hudson if they dont keep 4 TEs
Browning or Siemian
Johnson lll
Davis
Gunter
George

Question marks:
Corker?
Heyward?
Saylors?
Jackson?
Lassiter?

The initial PS last year:
1 QB
1 OT
1 OG
2 WR
2 TE
2 DT
1 DE
2 LB
1 CB
1 S
1 P
1 LS

Collins won't make the 53, he will be PUP. 

Carman (LT) & Scharping (G/C) will be the primary backups. Then it is: 

1. Do you keep 9 or 10? 

I go with 9. There are more deserving players who can actually help us at other spots: RB, WR, DE, DT, & S. Maybe CB & TE, too. 

2. Whom do you pick for the last IOL spit? Hill or Ford? 

3. Whom do you pick for the last OT spot? Smith, Adeniji, or Ford?  

4. If Ford is the answer on both, we could try to carry 8 until Collins is ready.   

I just think all those choices are mediocre/PS level guys. If we lose one, I am mot THAT upset. 

Ford is a vested vet and will not have to clear waivers. An handshake deal for him to make the PS & get called up if someone (Ossai, Smith) gets IR'd eould make a ton of sense. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 11:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I had high hopes for Kirkland, but he'll be lucky to make the 53

I think he would be lucky to make the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
Not sure if I heard wrong or it was just the talking heads, but I thought I heard they were going to expand teams sizes. Obviously, this isn't the case, but I thought I remembered the talk around covid and when they also talked of adding in an extra game. Guess that is something that has to be negotiated in the CBA, but 53 seems very low now.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 11:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I had high hopes for Kirkland, but he'll be lucky to make the 53

So you are saying I should hold off on getting Kirkland's Signature?  Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 08:46 PM)Destro Wrote: Not sure if I heard wrong or it was just the talking heads, but I thought I heard they were going to expand teams sizes. Obviously, this isn't the case, but I thought I remembered the talk around covid and when they also talked of adding in an extra game. Guess that is something that has to be negotiated in the CBA, but 53 seems very low now.

Maybe it was the practice squad. Seems like I remember that.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 10:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Maybe it was the practice squad. Seems like I remember that.

The practice squad used to be 10 players but they expanded to 16.  Also the number of active players on the 53 man roster used to be 46 but it was expanded to 48.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 08:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Collins won't make the 53, he will be PUP. 

1. Do you keep 9 or 10? 

I go with 9. There are more deserving players who can actually help us at other spots: RB, WR, DE, DT, & S. Maybe CB & TE, too. 

4. If Ford is the answer on both, we could try to carry 8 until Collins is ready.   

I just think all those choices are mediocre/PS level guys. If we lose one, I am mot THAT upset. 

Ford is a vested vet and will not have to clear waivers. An handshake deal for him to make the PS & get called up if someone (Ossai, Smith) gets IR'd eould make a ton of sense. 

Collins will only miss 4 games, he has to be kept in consideration, but yes it opens 1 spot temporarily. 

All good questions.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 10:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The practice squad used to be 10 players but they expanded to 16.  Also the number of active players on the 53 man roster used to be 46 but it was expanded to 48.

Isn't 1 of those for like the 3rd QB or something or is that an additional slot? Or was that just talked about but not implemented?
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:33 AM)pally Wrote: I think there are very few real questions.  In no particular order

1) does Stanley Morgan’s special teams play keep him on the team at WR7
2) does Mike Thomas’s special teams play keep him on the team at S4 or even 5
3) did Tanner Hudson beat out Mitch Wilcox for TE3 or do they keep 4 on the 53
4) did Raymond Johnson do enough to break into the DT ranks?  
5) is Jake Browning QB2 or are they shopping the waiver wires?
6) are any of the injuries (Ossai-ankle, Smith-shoulder, Turner-hamstring) serious enough for a stint on IR?
7) did they see enough from Scharping for him to be C2?

I really like what I saw out of Tanner Hudson, personally.

Outside of maybe Irv Smith, Hudson is probably the best looking receiving TE they got.

Some are worried though that he's a bit on the light side at "just" 239 lbs for being 6'5".
Irv Smith is about the same weight (240) but 3 inches shorter.

I'd find a way to get Hudson on the team, either as TE2 or TE3.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 09:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I really like what I saw out of Tanner Hudson, personally.

Outside of maybe Irv Smith, Hudson is probably the best looking receiving TE they got.

Some are worried though that he's a bit on the light side at "just" 239 lbs for being 6'5".

6'5 and 239 is small in regards to NFL TEs, especially since he's 28 and going into his 5th year. So body wise he pretty much is who he is. It doesn't mean it can't work for him but if you look at most other TEs his size they're in the 250-260 range. 

240 on someone 6'2 is going to look a lot different than on someone 6'5. 

Definitely agree he's looked the best though, especially catching. Although I haven't really seen Irv Smith play much.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 09:23 AM)Synric Wrote: It will be interesting to see what they do on the Offensive and Defensive Lines. The Defensive line is stacked very little room to break in there. The Offensive Line no one has distinguished themselves to take a spot (maybe Scharping) Will they keep 10?

If we had depth that played well enough but wont make the team possible to trade for low compensation or for a player at another spot.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 09:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I really like what I saw out of Tanner Hudson, personally.

Agree, also like what Hudson brings, he is kind of the opposite of Irv Smith in body type, but that is the problem with Irv Smith 
besides the injuries is he is short for an NFL TE. Being 6'5" and lean should give Hudson more speed going down the field and 
we were looking at the one TE from Utah who is about the same body type and was exclusively a pass catcher.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree, also like what Hudson brings, he is kind of the opposite of Irv Smith in body type, but that is the problem with Irv Smith 
besides the injuries is he is short for an NFL TE. Being 6'5" and lean should give Hudson more speed going down the field and 
we were looking at the one TE from Utah who is about the same body type and was exclusively a pass catcher.

Hudson laid out for a nice grab in the deep middle, on that play that Trey Hill got flagged for facemasking.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree, also like what Hudson brings, he is kind of the opposite of Irv Smith in body type, but that is the problem with Irv Smith 

Hudson looks rather smooth when catching passes, at least compared to the TEs the Bengals have had, IMO.

Interesting bringing up Dalton Kincaid.
Kincaid is 6'4", 240 lb officially on the Bills' roster.

If the Bengals really were interested in a receiving TE like Kincaid, Hudson might be a bargain version. Yes, I realize that sounds outrageous given Hudson's lack of contribution in the NFL to-date, but bargain version is subjective lol. I could see Hudson getting 400+ yards in an offense if he got some snaps. That's only about 25 yards a game.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I really liked him too.   Seemed to get open and made contested catches when he was not as open.   

I don't see them keeping him because of his size, but that's who I'd keep versus Wilcox.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 03:21 PM)3wt Wrote: I really liked him too.   Seemed to get open and made contested catches when he was not as open.   

I don't see them keeping him because of his size, but that's who I'd keep versus Wilcox.

Agreed.

Hudson just looked like an actual receiver out there, not a clunky robot like a lot of TEs do.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Bengals are among a handful of teams who have made no announcements concerning the roster. Nothing has even leaked from the players themselves or their agents.

Could be they are waiting to do it all tomorrow? Maybe there are things happening behind the scenes that would affect who gets cut. The Cowboys are another team who hasn't announced anything yet...maybe a deal for one of those 2 extra QBs they have?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 08:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Collins won't make the 53, he will be PUP. 

1. Do you keep 9 or 10? 

1)  I would say 9 and keep some O-line guys like Ben Brown on the practice squad in case.

2)  Ford is the worst lineman we have so he needs to go.  With Scharping showing he can play Center as well as Guard, Hill is expendable filling the same role as Scharping but worse.  Also, when you look at Hill's PFF grade this preseason, it's horrible.  He had a worse PFF grade than Kirkland.  Time to move on from Hill.  

3)  Adeniji as backup RT, Carman as backup LT.  Smith can look good at times, bad at times and then gets hurt.  I would cut Smith & maybe sign him to the PS.

4)  Ford is horrible.  We can find someone better on the waiver wire.

Right now I would go with Brown, Volson, Karras, Cappa and Williams with Carman, Adeniji and Scharping as backups.  Pickup 1 or 2 guys from the waiver wire or just roll with Ben Brown as your 9th O lineman.
Reply/Quote