Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Lets add more concern, DT is a real issue
(03-09-2022, 03:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some cheap options I've found for 3T in FA:
- Sheldon Richardson
- Solomon Thomas
- Maurice Hurst

None of these guys are surefire elite, but you have to pay a premium for that.

Thomas and Hurst would be a nice haul. 

To the OP If I was Duke I would  not overspend on Hill, Larry, or Apple this off-season. They all scream one hit wonders to me (maybe not Hill) and any decent player can fill their role. Also I wouldn't  be surprised  if they make a similar  trade like they did last season. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 05:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that but what do you do if Hill goes down?
You gonna start Shelvin next to Reader?

I just would rather add someone bigger than Key who can better handle run duties too if needed. I don't want Bengals to get into a habit of rotating between a clear run stopper and a clear pass rusher. It would easily give away what they're going to do.

EDIT - Also, when Key was with the Raiders, he had only 3.0 sacks across 3 years, 0 in his final season there. So I'm not sure the added weight helped him.
He had 6.5 for the 49ers this year but is listed at 240. He probably plays better with the lighter weight.
I just checked the 49ers depth chart from last year and Key was listed as DE for them.

They had him inside the latter part of the year.  He's bounced. Im not gunning for him, just dropping names. LOL

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 05:44 PM)J24 Wrote: Thomas and Hurst would be a nice haul. 

To the OP If I was Duke I would  not overspend on Hill, Larry, or Apple this off-season. They all scream one hit wonders to me (maybe not Hill) and any decent player can fill their role. Also I wouldn't  be surprised  if they make a similar  trade like they did last season. 

Would be crazy if we could lucky again, but who is our Billy Price this year?

Reply/Quote
Bring back Hill and draft a DT in the first two days to rotate and learn behind him. We can rotate ends in on passing downs like you mentioned.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 06:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Would be crazy if we could lucky again, but who is our Billy Price this year?

I wouldn't  be that  Shocked if it was Carmen.
J24

Reply/Quote
Hill and Larry O will be back. Book it...
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We can draft a DT at 31 or even 63 that could be better than Ogunjobi. 

I seriously doubt this.

Last year among NFL DTs Ogunjobi ranked 

3rd in tackles for loss... 12
7th in sacks.................. 7.0
7th in QB hits............... 16

A lot of people here are underrating Larry.  He had a down season in Cleveland in 2020 when he played out of position, but despite those poor numbers in 2020 (2.5 sacks, 5 TFL, 6 QBhits) look at where he ranks among DTs over the last 4 years.

Tackle for loss......6th (37)
Sacks..................12th (20.5)
Solo Tkl...............12th (120)
QB hits................13th (50)
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I seriously doubt this.

Last year among NFL DTs Ogunjobi ranked 

3rd in tackles for loss... 12
7th in sacks.................. 7.0
7th in QB hits............... 16

A lot of people here are underrating Larry.  He had a down season in Cleveland in 2020 when he played out of position, but despite those poor numbers in 2020 (2.5 sacks, 5 TFL, 6 QBhits) look at where he ranks among DTs over the last 4 years.

Tackle for loss......6th (37)
Sacks..................12th (20.5)
Solo Tkl...............12th (120)
QB hits................13th (50)

How much are you willing to pay Him though? Its probably over 10 Million per a year 
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:34 PM)Okeana Wrote: BJ Hill will be on the roster 100% and this draft is deep at DT

This
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 06:19 PM)J24 Wrote: I wouldn't  be that  Shocked if it was Carmen.

Wow, that’s interesting.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 07:09 PM)J24 Wrote: How much are you willing to pay Him though? Its probably over 10 Million per a year 

Pre-injury for sure, maybe a better deal now?

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also Perrion Winfrey, Phidarian Mathis, and Matthew Butler in the draft.

Winfrey has jumped his way into the late 1st round convo.

Phidarian Mathis looks like a quintessential 2nd rounder. I think some are sleeping on him. Put up 9.0 sacks last year at Alabama. Some of those sacks were coverage sacks, but he should be very similar style player to BJ Hill, I think.

Butler is someone who intrigues me as a 3rd or 4th rounder. He's also well-rounded.

Yes, this Draft is pretty stacked with quality at the DT position.

This is why we need to bring back BJ and fix the O-line in FA. Trenches will be upgraded on both sides of the ball where
you win games if we do this. Always liked Winfrey and forgot Mathis was even in this Draft, loved watching him at Bama
last year. Butler is a lot like BJ Hill, can stop the run and rush the passer a bit.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 08:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, this Draft is pretty stacked with quality at the DT position.

This is why we need to bring back BJ and fix the O-line in FA. Trenches will be upgraded on both sides of the ball where
you win games if we do this. Always liked Winfrey and forgot Mathis was even in this Draft, loved watching him at Bama
last year. Butler is a lot like BJ Hill, can stop the run and rush the passer a bit.

It seems stacked with quality at the top but could it all be gone by mid round 3 before our pick?  Can we find a Geno if we go CB/Oline with the 1st 2 picks?

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 08:36 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It seems stacked with quality at the top but could it all be gone by mid round 3 before our pick?  Can we find a Geno if we go CB/Oline with the 1st 2 picks?

Why not go DT/OL first and get one of these good CBs in FA?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 08:36 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It seems stacked with quality at the top but could it all be gone by mid round 3 before our pick?  Can we find a Geno if we go CB/Oline with the 1st 2 picks?

It is pretty deep, I think we can find a very good DT in the 3rd round, probably not a Geno (special player) but maybe a Larry O.

A really good player for our rotation behind Reader, BJ Hill and Shelvin. We will see, I will try to find some examples of how I would
like it to go later when I got some time but I gotta go do some things right now. Bottom line is to bring back BJ Hill and upgrade the
O-line, we keep building the trenches and this team is gonna go to a lot of SB's with Burrow and win them.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 09:07 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Why not go DT/OL first and get one of these good CBs in FA?

We can, but we all need to realize a team cannot sustain itself on FA alone. We must start developing our own talent on defense.

We have what 4 starters on defense that we drafted?

Reply/Quote
I think the second rounder is an ideal spot to get DT depth. Should be some solid options there. They almost have to bring back Ogunjobi or Hill. I wonder how much the injury impacts Larry O's price. The guy did a great job here and it's unfortunate that he might need another prove-it deal for a long-term deal, but that may indeed be the situation he finds himself in.

I think our overall quality at the spot might decline in terms of depth, but it's a sacrificed I'd make 7 days a week and twice on Sunday to obtain a couple of proven OL.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 10:24 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We can, but we all need to realize a team cannot sustain itself on FA alone. We must start developing our own talent on defense.

We have what 4 starters on defense that we drafted?

I mean, I'm the biggest proponent of my coworkers for buying the OL and retooling the D with the draft but sometimes you have to add just that one piece that year. Pretty much what my entire mock (I'm going to create a new one this week before FA commences) was, 2 starters on D (Elam and Jones (i thought Jones could be a 3T inaccurately)) with replacements following.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 10:57 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I mean, I'm the biggest proponent of my coworkers for buying the OL and retooling the D with the draft but sometimes you have to add just that one piece that year. Pretty much what my entire mock (I'm going to create a new one this week before FA commences) was, 2 starters on D (Elam and Jones (i thought Jones could be a 3T inaccurately)) with replacements following.

I like Elam and Jones... he may be athletic enough to slide to DT with some conditioning he did have 25 pressures.  But a solid NG for sure.

I believe we will pick up a CB in free agency without a doubt now.  Some wont like this... but I might try to pick up an elite Safety, we have neither guy on contract in 2023. Say we picked Cine and he is a stud, saves us the Bates issue and 12-16M next year and following years, along with an easy extension with Bell.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 11:40 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I like Elam and Jones... he may be athletic enough to slide to DT with some conditioning he did have 25 pressures.  But a solid NG for sure.

I believe we will pick up a CB in free agency without a doubt now.  Some wont like this... but I might try to pick up an elite Safety, we have neither guy on contract in 2023. Say we picked Cine and he is a stud, saves us the Bates issue and 12-16M next year and following years, along with an easy extension with Bell.

I had Nick Cross from Maryland in rd 4 but I'll likely have to move him up to 3 in my next mock. I had him pegged as a Bell replacement. Honestly, from what I've read, I'd be curious to give Kerby Joseph a chance with some years on the bench to learn. Might be able to get home with a 5th right now.
Reply/Quote