Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Lets add more concern, DT is a real issue
(03-10-2022, 12:01 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: I had Nick Cross from Maryland in rd 4 but I'll likely have to move him up to 3 in my next mock. I had him pegged as a Bell replacement. Honestly, from what I've read, I'd be curious to give Kerby Joseph a chance with some years on the bench to learn. Might be able to get home with a 5th right now.

Both of these are very good. I doubt Joseph lasts until our pick in the 3rd.  Cross is climbing quickly as he ran a smoking 4.34, with a 37 inch vertical.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 02:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We currently have zero DT's on the roster.  We do have 2 NG's in Reader and Shelvin.  

We have the option of sliding Sample inside and we could slide Hubbard inside with Ossai at end on passing downs.

The DT free agent market is very thin and the the draft is low with high quality 3 tech DTs.

BJ's stock is already on the rise.  He showed he could be a 3 down DT in the playoffs.

Ogunjobi suffered a very serious foot injury and he was very inconsistent, especially vs the run, but did make some splash plays.

Hicks and Campbell are old.

Other prospects are run stuffers only.

We desperately need at least one vet at this spot, I have no doubt they will draft one.  Dline was a great advantage this past season as we rarely had to blitz and became a great run stuffing defense.

I, like many, would love to see FA take care of the majority of our needs and draft BPA but...

Will we be forced to draft a DT early if we dont get a solid guy in FA?

Will be forced to draft a safety early with the Bates situation and Bell in his contract year?

Will we be forced to draft an OT early with options so limited in free agency?

I think CB would have been a nice option but with the availably in free agency it isnt as desperate.

We got lucky this past season with the Hill trade, with Awuzie and Hendrickson's great play.  

Maybe we can pull off the Tunsil trade this year?

Hill and Ogunjobi were very inexpensive this past season, I fear we will not have that luxury this season.

DT is a real concern and may not be cheap to fill, thus impacting Oline.

I am hoping they re-sign Hill.  Maybe not as top tier pass rusher as Ogunjobi, but a better run stuffer and younger, with ascending talent.

I would also sign Tupou.  He has been injured a bit, but when he has played, he has been very solid.  

The draft is loaded at DE and there are a lot of tough DTs that could be in the picture as well.  Look at Travis Jones from UCONN.  Not known for producing much NFL Talent, this guy is a BEAST and I am mocking him to us in Rd 2 a lot.  Love the guy.  Those two FA signings plus this rookie would be a big step on not just making the line as good as last year, but possibly improving it.  

Since you brought up Safety, there is still a chance they could extend Bates (have until July 31st) as well as extend Bell.  

That doesn't mean they won't draft a safety, but I doubt it is with one of the first two picks.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 09:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am hoping they re-sign Hill.  Maybe not as top tier pass rusher as Ogunjobi, but a better run stuffer and younger, with ascending talent.

I would also sign Tupou.  He has been injured a bit, but when he has played, he has been very solid.  

The draft is loaded at DE and there are a lot of tough DTs that could be in the picture as well.  Look at Travis Jones from UCONN.  Not known for producing much NFL Talent, this guy is a BEAST and I am mocking him to us in Rd 2 a lot.  Love the guy.  Those two FA signings plus this rookie would be a big step on not just making the line as good as last year, but possibly improving it.  

Since you brought up Safety, there is still a chance they could extend Bates (have until July 31st) as well as extend Bell.  

That doesn't mean they won't draft a safety, but I doubt it is with one of the first two picks.  

Hill or Ogunjobi would be a great help.  Tupou, if he stays healthy is a good depth piece.

I like Jones but he is more of a NG, although more athletic than most.

An early pick at safety could mean we are moving on from one of our current ones as both are on contract years in 2022.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yep. I'm honestly kind of shocked that either Hill or Larry haven't been extended yet.

They will either have to draft interior DL or get a couple in FA. It's almost as big of a need as OL at this point.

I’m not

My gut told me both would get 3 year 15 million or at least 2 year 10-12 million dollar deals. BJ played so well in the playoff i damn near just penciled him in as gone
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Good thing about our DT position is Reader is so good he can kinda mask it if we go bargain bin on the other guys. As long as the other guy can get average pressure in 1 on 1s we’re good.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’m actually not concerned at 3t, the FA class is actually flooded with guys who I’d be comfortable running out there. I’m actually of the belief we can get Hill/Larry production out of most guys in this FA class because it’s as much our situation as anything.

So you're saying that the Bengals now have a system, one that works, and that Hill and Ogunjobi are products of it?  Ninja

All joking aside, DT is one position that the Bengals don't seem to have trouble finding talent at, and getting them to play hard.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Alright, I will give an example of making this a non issue. Bring back BJ Hill, take care of the OL in FA...

1st Round - Kaiir Elam CB Florida big elite Corner for cheap instead of wasting all our money on JC Jackson.
2nd Round - Travis Jones DT UCONN monster athlete that can rush the passer and stop the run better than Ogunjobi.
3rd Round - Calvin Austin WR/PR/KR Freak Returner that can be our backup 4th WR and Slot guy at times.

Just an example of things we can do if we bring back BJ and take care of the OL in Free Agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Alright, I will give an example of making this a non issue. Bring back BJ Hill, take care of the OL in FA...

1st Round - Kaiir Elam CB Florida big elite Corner for cheap instead of wasting all our money on JC Jackson.
2nd Round - Travis Jones DT UCONN monster athlete that can rush the passer and stop the run better than Ogunjobi.
3rd Round - Calvin Austin WR/PR/KR Freak Returner that can be our backup 4th WR and Slot guy at times.

Just an example of things we can do if we bring back BJ and take care of the OL in Free Agency.

I like it, but Jones is projected more of a NG, although the guy is a freak. If he can play DT-3 at that size...

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 03:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I like it, but Jones is projected more of a NG, although the guy is a freak. If he can play DT-3 at that size...

I know, but what is crazy is I think he CAN play 3-tech. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Alright, I will give an example of making this a non issue. Bring back BJ Hill, take care of the OL in FA...

I'd love for the Bengals to draft a dude with the intent of him being a return man. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 02:43 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd love for the Bengals to draft a dude with the intent of him being a return man. 

Same here. This guy is a game changer and Simmons has spoken about wanting the dude that strikes fear back there.

Calvin Austin is this. My only concern is he might go earlier but with the way the NFL has evolved into less Returns making a
difference he could be around in the mid rounds. Yah never know but usually ST's players are what you go after in the late 
rounds. Difference with Austin is he could be a great backup WR too and we need that in case one of our top 3 guys go down.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 02:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here. This guy is a game changer and Simmons has spoken about wanting the dude that strikes fear back there.

Calvin Austin is this. My only concern is he might go earlier but with the way the NFL has evolved into less Returns making a
difference he could be around in the mid rounds. Yah never know but usually ST's players are what you go after in the late 
rounds. Difference with Austin is he could be a great backup WR too and we need that in case one of our top 3 guys go down.

An option later in the draft is Velus Jones, most likely in the 5th Rd due to his age (24)

Velus Jones Jr. | Tennessee | #1 | R-Senior | Saraland, AL | 6’0” | 204

40-yard Dash: 4.31

Career: Sixth-year senior who spent his first four seasons at USC before transferring as a redshirt junior in 2020. 2021 All-SEC first-team selection. Racked up 120 catches, 1,434 receiving yards, and 11 touchdowns in 59 games across both programs. Special teams returner who averaged 24.4 yards per attempt and took back two touchdowns.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 03:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: An option later in the draft is Velus Jones, most likely in the 5th Rd due to his age (24)

Velus Jones Jr. | Tennessee | #1 | R-Senior | Saraland, AL | 6’0” | 204

40-yard Dash: 4.31

Career: Sixth-year senior who spent his first four seasons at USC before transferring as a redshirt junior in 2020. 2021 All-SEC first-team selection. Racked up 120 catches, 1,434 receiving yards, and 11 touchdowns in 59 games across both programs. Special teams returner who averaged 24.4 yards per attempt and took back two touchdowns.

Yes, would love Velus too. Might give us an option to grab a playmaking TE earlier instead too in Jelani Woods.

Woods could really help in the Red Zone being 6'7" with speed and good hands.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I seriously doubt this.

Last year among NFL DTs Ogunjobi ranked 

3rd in tackles for loss... 12
7th in sacks.................. 7.0
7th in QB hits............... 16

A lot of people here are underrating Larry.  He had a down season in Cleveland in 2020 when he played out of position, but despite those poor numbers in 2020 (2.5 sacks, 5 TFL, 6 QBhits) look at where he ranks among DTs over the last 4 years.

Tackle for loss......6th (37)
Sacks..................12th (20.5)
Solo Tkl...............12th (120)
QB hits................13th (50)

This.....if we're able to keep one, I'd prefer it be Ogunjobi.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 03:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: This.....if we're able to keep one, I'd prefer it be Ogunjobi.

Yup, plus I question if Hill will be able to carry a starters workload. Last year Hill played 47% of the defensive snaps to Ogunjobi's 68%... and that 47% was the most he's played since his rookie year in 2018 when he played 59%.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 03:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup, plus I question if Hill will be able to carry a starters workload. Last year Hill played 47% of the defensive snaps to Ogunjobi's 68%... and that 47% was the most he's played since his rookie year in 2018 when he played 59%.

I hadn't even considered that, but you're right, it's a valid concern. One that others may not be thinking about either.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 03:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup, plus I question if Hill will be able to carry a starters workload. Last year Hill played 47% of the defensive snaps to Ogunjobi's 68%... and that 47% was the most he's played since his rookie year in 2018 when he played 59%.

(03-11-2022, 03:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hadn't even considered that, but you're right, it's a valid concern. One that others may not be thinking about either.

I think BJ could handle it. Ogunjobi made splash plays early in games and seemed to wear down.

I think the opposite. I prefer BJ Hill, but to each his own. Just want at least one of them back. 

Rare time I disagree with you guys.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 03:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hadn't even considered that, but you're right, it's a valid concern. One that others may not be thinking about either.

I love Larry but I'll play devil's advocate:

LO is coming off a very serious injury.
LO is rumored to be in the 10M range ????
LO had several splash plays and is a better pass rusher
LO reportedly frustrated the staff with inconsistencies, especially in the run game.
BJ is a much better run stopper.
BJ proved he could be a 3 down DT in the playoffs.
BJ has more interceptions.

I like both but if Larry truly demands 10M after total separation of his foot?  Im going with BJ.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 03:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I love Larry but I'll play devil's advocate:

LO is coming off a very serious injury.
LO is rumored to be in the 10M range ????
LO had several splash plays and is a better pass rusher
LO reportedly frustrated the staff with inconsistencies, especially in the run game.
BJ is a much better run stopper.
BJ proved he could be a 3 down DT in the playoffs.
BJ has more interceptions.

I like both but if Larry truly demands 10M after total separation of his foot?  Im going with BJ.

I've seen his rumored price tag all over the place . I think the thread with the chart had him around 7mil on another 1 year deal? 

If the injury is truly significant, you'd think it would drop his price tag even further than BJ Hill's. 

I hadn't heard anything about him frustrating the coaches. If that's the case, then I'd say it's a moot point. Seems this staff is pretty much no nonsense on things like that. From a strength vs weakness standpoint, I'd give Larry an edge. Splash plays are nice. QB sacks are cool. Recovered fumbles in the opponent's backfield is cool, but so are INTs, lol. I agree BJ did it for four weeks. Can he do that for 17-21? He hasn't this far in his career.

If the money is close, the injury is healed, and we can afford one while fixing oline, Ogunjobi would be my pick. I noticed him disrupting a lot of plays up the gut with Reader last year that didn't make the stat sheet. I REALLY liked that duo. BJ played well too, not trying to knock him.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 03:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rare time I disagree with you guys.

How dare you?!?!?!  Mellow

Reply/Quote