Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets take a moment and give ML some credit
This is the first team that seems to have fully embraced the mantra not to let bad events impact their play - go to the next snap, do your job, and make something good happen. A lot can change in a quarter. Down by 17 in the third and you can still win by 10.

Next week is the acid test of that attitude. The Steelers are masters of sucking out your heart, making you doubt yourself, or goading you into a mistake. Oh, and getting away with cheating. The Bengals just have to keep playing and be careful not to land on "Big Ben".  Cry
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:15 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: You just did without knowing it  Mellow

He most certainly did!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've been on these boards long enough to know that for many:

If it's bad; it's Marvin's fault

If it's good: it's in spite of Marvin.

Personally, I think Marvin is a fine coach, but some will look at anything.

Example time:

With less than 2 minutes left in the half the Fins are faced with a third down with the clock ticking. Marvin calls a T.O. with hopes of us stopping them and getting the ball back with some time left on the clock. It works exactly as we hoped. Fins passed on 3rd down incomplete. Fins punt and we get the ball back with 1:15 left. We go aggressive throwing on 3 straight downs and have to punt with a few seconds left. Of Course Miami returns for a TD.

So one the next kickoff we take a knee with 20 seconds left. The usual suspect in GD were crying about how Marvin was too conservative and although we had not done bumpkus in the last 29 minutes and 28 seconds. He was playing not to lose.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since Marvin took over as Bengals head coach we are top ten in winning percentage (.255) in games we trailed at halftime. (27-80-1)

In 245 regular season games coached by Marvin the Bengals have only been outscored in the second half 113 times.  That is less than half the time. 

Marvin's Bengals have a .753 winning percentage when they are either tied or ahead at halftime (102-33-2).  That is good for 13th in the league.  

The Bengals under Marvin have been outscored in the second half, but only by 187 points.  That is just 0.76 points per game.

The claim that the Bengals have been "outplayed, outcoached, outscored, and generally smacked down in the 2nd half so much it's not even funny" is just not true.

Thanks Mike Brown, please sign Marvin for another 5 years.

I will only say that the team has been outplayed and outcoached in 8 straight playoff appearances. And that is SO true it is actually funny.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:58 AM)basballguy Wrote: not buying it at all.....this team's performance has nothing to do with ML and everything to do with themselves.  They are rallying around each other.  I will gladly credit Lazor and the new DC guy (forget his name)...but not Marvin Lewis.

You mean the guys Marvin hired and the players Marvin drafted?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:46 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: I will only say that the team has been outplayed and outcoached in 8 straight playoff appearances. And that is SO true it is actually funny.

What is funny about it?

I am not going to defend Marvin's post season record, but in many of those games the other team just had more talent.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 09:22 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Marv is a polarizing figure around here. We don't need a history lesson with this post, but to point out this year there's something entirely different about the coaches and players.

They seem to have bought what ML is selling. They're playing hard and not giving up.

One of the biggest flaws ML has been accused of is halftime adjustments.

Guess what? That's changed. The Bengals are 3-51 under ML when trailing my more than 10 point in the 4th quarter. The Bengals have been trailing at some point in the fourth quarter 3 of the last 4 times. Last year, they've scored 68 points in the 4th quarter. So far this year, that number is 56.

His (lame) mantras may have hit home this year (Strain to finish).

Congrats, Marv. Keep up the good work.

Yes, good job Marv. Rock On

Great stuff too HH, those are some good numbers and i appreciate the work bringing them up.

Couldn't let this thread die!!! Why people?!!!! Shocked
Reply/Quote