Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets take a quick thought at how ZT is building the roster
(04-30-2019, 08:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it is still Duke Tobin's draft, but I also think he asked Taylor what he wanted and went out and got it for him. He used to ask Marvin what he wanted, but never saw "do better" on the big board anywhere....

Lol too bad, do better would have been... better.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 09:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think he did

I'm a firm believer that Mike Brown is still running this team despite all the Katie, Troy, Duke talk. I believe MB let ZT pick his staff with very little resistance. Mike knew changes had to be made and he let him make them.

Duke is not in any real way a GM and let's face it this team is still reeling from the 2015 draft and some decisions made after it. I think Duke's influence has faded a bit from it whether he was responsible for it all or not. I'd say he was heavily involved in the scouting but I think ZT was more in control of the trigger.

I believe the only thing MB put his foot down on was free agency. And this wasn't the greatest of years for free agency anyways. The only real move thus far that I question is Bobby Hart.
You very well could be right. I guess my point is that it’s all speculation. Brown had always been a control freak, then there’s Duke, then there’s the Katie transition. I just don’t think there’s any proof that these are strictly ZT picks. I’m positive that he had input but I doubt very much that the other three just said... here, go ahead. He is a rookie coach.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 12:39 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: So, it’s been established that the Rookie HeadCoach is responsible for drafting these guys? I’m sure that he had some input but I’m not sold on he drafted these guys.

I absolutely believe that Taylor had as much input as anyone in the room. Yep Tobin is director of player personnel and probably the only person with more say is Mike Brown but I absolutely believe that these picks were made at the suggestion of Taylor to fit his vision and plan. Why is it so hard for you to believe that? Tobin is a smart guy and is going to accommodate the vision Taylor has because I think Tobin believes it as well.

If you do not see that there was a difference in the way this draft unfolded for this franchise in comparison to how most have gone for several years then you just do not want to see it. This draft had sound direction and an absolute plan.

Sure Tobin and Brown have the final say but I really believe they were making selections heavily influenced by Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:01 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I absolutely believe that Taylor had as much input as anyone in the room. Yep Tobin is director of player personnel and probably the only person with more say is Mike Brown but I absolutely believe that these picks were made at the suggestion of Taylor to fit his vision and plan. Why is it so hard for you to believe that? Tobin is a smart guy and is going to accommodate the vision Taylor has because I think Tobin believes it as well.

If you do not see that there was a difference in the way this draft unfolded for this franchise in comparison to how most have gone for several years then you just do not want to see it. This draft had sound direction and an absolute plan.

Sure Tobin and Brown have the final say but I really believe they were making selections heavily influenced by Taylor.

Some of our drafts in the late 2000's and early 2010's were REALLY good. It's the last few years that got stale...but even at that they got Mixon, Bates, Jackson, and Boyd.

Does Marvin get credit for those guys?

I don't think we'll ever really know what unfolds in the draft room.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 07:39 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: And you know this how? Zac has been here since early February. That is almost three months. What do you think he has been doing during that time? You think he didn't scout players while he was with the Rams. I guess coming up with these kind of comments and professing them as truths without anything to back them up is just the new standard of the day.

lol wut?

Just a little common sense and things directly out of ZTs mouth. 

Do you think coaches preparing for the super bowl should be scouting? I don't. Sure they may get info during the season. But NFL coaches should not have time during the season to get in deep to scouting college players. 

Scouts scout, coaches coach. 

He was the last head coach hired and had to spend plenty of time forming his coaching staff and creating a plan as a first time head coach. He also had to evaluate his own team and watch them. No way in the world can a guy do all that in 3 months and have enough time to scout every player in the draft. 

You know how I know what I said was right?

From ZT
https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-draft-transcript-and-wrapup

"Hats off to (Bengals director of player personnel) Duke Tobin and his staff. For the first time going through this, they made the process very easy for this coaching staff. "

"The way that Duke and Mike Brown manage it, it’s an easy process. We got the players we wanted to get."
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 10:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: lol wut?

Do you think coaches preparing for the super bowl should be scouting? I don't. Sure they may get info during the season. But NFL coaches should not have time during the season to get in deep to scouting college players. 

He was the last head coach hired and had to spend plenty of time forming his coaching staff and creating a plan as a first time head coach. He also had to evaluate his own team and watch them. No way in the world can a guy do all that in 3 months and have enough time to scout every player in the draft. 

From ZT

"Hats off to (Bengals director of player personnel) Duke Tobin and his staff. For the first time going through this, they made the process very easy for this coaching staff. "

"The way that Duke and Mike Brown manage it, it’s an easy process. We got the players we wanted to get."

Yep. That's been a criticism of mine and some other analysts since the 1990's. Other teams have scouts out doing the scouting as the college football season is during the same timeframe as the NFL season.

The Bengals have to play catchup.

So since the Rams SB...Taylor had to:
-Be hired here.
-Evaluate the roster.
-Hire coaches.
-Scout players.
-Install a new offense and defense.

That's A LOT to do. A LOT. Probably more than 1 person can succeed at.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 10:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: lol wut?

From ZT

In the interview every time a question was asked or talking about specific he said the word "WE". If like you say he had little input then he would have used the word "THEY". Praising the whole draft team, especially his bosses, doesn't mean that he didn't put his signature all over this draft. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 01:07 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: In the interview every time a question was asked or talking about specific he said the word "WE". If like you say he had little input then he would have used the word "THEY". Praising the whole draft team, especially his bosses, doesn't mean that he didn't put his signature all over this draft. 

Yes, all of them are working together. Sounds like great chemistry for once around here.

I don't know what was up with Marv and his coaches but they didn't seem to have this type of chemistry.
Reply/Quote