Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets talk Defense
I think if we had Reader and Waynes all season it may have been enough to make a few of those key plays that ended up losing close games. Also Geno. Wish we had a truly healthy Geno because there is no doubt he is playing hurt. Sucks bad he got hurt. He isnt aging as much as he is playing hurt from what Ive been hearing.

We have a lot to build on right now. The defensive backfield is looking pretty good even with Waynes out. I feel like a steady combo of Bates, Bell, Alexander, WJ3 and Waynes would be one of the best we've seen here in a good long while. If we give those guys a real pass rusher and start being good at QB pressure, the D could flip pretty fast. Just a couple pieces on the DL, and it could be nice. The young LBs are only going to get better and better.

Xavier Williams gets a shout out because he isnt mentioned much on here. He looks pretty disruptive at times. For a guy off the street he's pretty good. Plays hard and has the look of a solid contributor. Not a world beater obviously, but definitely plays hard. I like him.
Reply/Quote
With the draft being super weak with pass rushers this year. We should be able to get a nice addition in free agency with the money that will be saved from Dunlap and should with AJ.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Really we need to pick a base formation (be it 4-3 or 3-4) and stick with it and stop with the exotic nonsense which has only served to prevent the LBers from developing any sort of group cohesion. We have the horses to execute either one. Also pick a coverage scheme that compliments the players and stick to it as well. In other words give the defense some kind of IDENTITY.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, he did have 112 yds 6.2 average...

(11-01-2020, 10:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They had 218 rushing yards. We got run all over but was able to get off the field a few times on 3rd. Offense kept the pressure on which helped.

.....and I expected Henry to eclipse the 200 yd mark alone....lol. Getting off the field a few times is much better than it has been. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The Bengals getting an early lead was the best play the defense made all day.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Covington should be on this team until he retires/getting abused.

I haven't seen him look terrible even once this year (he's hasn't stood out a ton either, but it's better to not be seen than to be seen) and his motor is insane (and that's why he's good at what he does).

I mentioned it in the past; Reader, Covington, Tupou is superb NT depth and I would be more than happy with these three guys, for the next few season (and potentially, beyond).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Covington should be on this team until he retires/getting abused.

I haven't seen him look terrible even once this year (he's hasn't stood out a ton either, but it's better to not be seen than to be seen) and his motor is insane (and that's why he's good at what he does).

I mentioned it in the past; Reader, Covington, Tupou is superb NT depth and I would be more than happy with these three guys, for the next few season (and potentially, beyond).

What about Geno? Think they should cut bait next year?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:09 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: What about Geno? Think they should cut bait next year?

Hard to say... if he is going to play like this until he retires, that's a no-brainer; but what if he does still have something left in the tank and he's just hurt?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Now that we finally have a QB who can elevate the offense, this will help the defense substantially.

take a look at the steelers.

They have not drafted a 1st round offensive skill player - RB/WR/TE - in the last decade +

The Bengals have drafted 4 in the last 10 years. Greshman, Eifert, Ross, AJ

The steelers basically exclusively draft Line Backers, OLine and Dline with any/all their top picks (Or they trade a 1st rounder for a player link Fitzpatrick)

Claypool, JuJu, Connor, LeVeon, James Washington, AB, any TE's - They get them all in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Why? cause they have a HOF Qb. Now that we have a QB who can improve the team on offense, we should be able to focus on a very similar draft pattern.

OLine, Defense, OLine, Defense, etc.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:11 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hard to say... if he is going to play like this until he retires, that's a no-brainer; but what if he does still have something left in the tank and he's just hurt?

Yep, that’s how I see it to. So it comes down to to risk reward, and honestly the odds are heavily against it. If he isn’t, it’s a huge gamble for his cap hit. With Dunlap dead money a nonissue, maybe they can swing it if they think he cannot fulfill his value to production
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Given how the OL performed yesterday, it looks like things aren't as dire there as we thought. If this unit keeps developing and they keep Burrow clean the rest of the way, I'd lean more towards pass rusher in the draft now.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:27 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Now that we finally have a QB who can elevate the offense, this will help the defense substantially.

take a look at the steelers.

They have not drafted a 1st round offensive skill player - RB/WR/TE - in the last decade +

The Bengals have drafted 4 in the last 10 years. Greshman, Eifert, Ross, AJ

The steelers basically exclusively draft Line Backers, OLine and Dline with any/all their top picks (Or they trade a 1st rounder for a player link Fitzpatrick)

Claypool, JuJu, Connor, LeVeon, James Washington, AB, any TE's - They get them all in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Why? cause they have a HOF Qb. Now that we have a QB who can improve the team on offense, we should be able to focus on a very similar draft pattern.

OLine, Defense, OLine, Defense, etc.

Same situation with the Packers. Before this year with Love, they hadn’t taken a skill position player on offense in the 1st round since Rodgers himself in 2005.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, he did have 112 yds 6.2 average...

He really only got off though on one drive for almost 50 yards on their first TD. I'll take that all day long especially as poor as this D has been the past few weeks.
Reply/Quote
DBs are playing well. WJ3 needs re-signed.
Team needs to focus on stopping the run and rushing the passer better.
That primarily falls on the DL and LBs.

I do think that when Hubbard and Reader return from injuries next year and if Atkins can return to his old self, the run defense and pass rush will be better, but I'm still hoping the Bengals draft 1-2 DL early in the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:40 PM)higgy100 Wrote: He really only got off though on one drive for almost 50 yards on their first TD. I'll take that all day long especially as poor as this D has been the past few weeks.

Both their other RB’s were gashing us too though.

McNichols averaged 12.2 yds on his 4 carries, and Foreman 7.7 on his 5.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Same situation with the Packers. Before this year with Love, they hadn’t taken a skill position player on offense in the 1st round since Rodgers himself in 2005.

Yep. I kinda think GB should have taken one or two top tier weapons for Rodgers, but they still were a top 5 nfc team without those luxury picks.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: DBs are playing well. WJ3 needs re-signed.
Team needs to focus on stopping the run and rushing the passer better.
That primarily falls on the DL and LBs.

I do think that when Hubbard and Reader return from injuries next year and if Atkins can return to his old self, the run defense and pass rush will be better, but I'm still hoping the Bengals draft 1-2 DL early in the draft.

I thought WJ3 had a rough game to my eye test, but apparently the numbers weren’t that bad?

Anyone have his pff grade?

Reply/Quote
This defense needs a Myles Garett TJ Watt type of edge guy
That can do damage even when doubled teamed.
A real wrecking ball.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought WJ3 had a rough game to my eye test, but apparently the numbers weren’t that bad?

Anyone have his pff grade?

I don't have his PFF grade for just the Titans game, but I believe he was covering AJ Brown for most of the game, and only allowed him to have 24 yards (1 TD). Corey Davis had far more success (128-1), who I believe was being covered by Sims.
On the season, WJ3 is 27th CB in the league (25th in coverage). That's worthy of being a CB1 on a team.
Not only that, WJ3 has a better rating this year than Waynes had last year with MIN, and Waynes got a 3-year, $42 mill contract.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't have his PFF grade for just the Titans game, but I believe he was covering AJ Brown for most of the game, and only allowed him to have 24 yards (1 TD). Corey Davis had far more success (128-1), who I believe was being covered by Sims.
On the season, WJ3 is 27th CB in the league (25th in coverage). That's worthy of being a CB1 on a team.
Not only that, WJ3 has a better rating this year than Waynes had last year with MIN, and Waynes got a 3-year, $42 mill contract.

It will be a tough decision to pay him or not. That would be a lot of money tied up in 2 CB’s. I could honestly go either way on it.

Reply/Quote