Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets talk Defense
(11-02-2020, 01:30 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yep, that’s how I see it to. So it comes down to to risk reward, and honestly the odds are heavily against it. If he isn’t, it’s a huge gamble for his cap hit. With Dunlap dead money a nonissue, maybe they can swing it if they think he cannot fulfill his value to production

Disagree.  We need another tackle and guard. 

Leatherwood
Rousseau
Sewell
Cosmi

Those would be my targets - Maybe Patrick Surtain II - but actually I would hate a CB when we need line help so bad 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:09 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Disagree.  We need another tackle and guard. 

Leatherwood
Rousseau
Sewell
Cosmi

Those would be my targets - Maybe Patrick Surtain II - but actually I would hate a CB when we need line help so bad 

We can stop dreaming about Sewell. There’s currently 6 teams with worse records than us, and our schedule eases up a bit when we start playing the rest of the NFC East.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:04 PM)bengaloo Wrote: The D seemed to play with more energy today. They got some pressure for a change. I do think Carlos finally being gone helped a bit but the guys played a good game against a very good offense today.

It was a team effort, but Bell was on fire. He played really good. He stood out to me for sure. My hats off to the D today. They did their job and helped us get a win.

Other than the Titans exploiting the left side of our D for a big part of the day on the ground,  it was a solid effort considering we are down alot of players . When is Hubbard planned to return? He isn't a game changer  but he gives us alot more on edge than Kareem is. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:48 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This defense needs a Myles Garett TJ Watt type of edge guy
That can do damage even when doubled teamed.
A real wrecking ball.
This! It also makes the DBs that much better as the only have to cover half the time if we get pressure.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:09 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: What about Geno? Think they should cut bait next year?

(11-02-2020, 01:11 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hard to say... if he is going to play like this until he retires, that's a no-brainer; but what if he does still have something left in the tank and he's just hurt?

It would be nice to see him get an opportunity to play before we give up on him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:22 PM)J24 Wrote: It would be nice to see him get an opportunity to play before we give up on him.

He has been playing. Think I saw he had 19 snaps yesterday.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:22 PM)J24 Wrote: It would be nice to see him get an opportunity to play before we give up on him.

I mentioned to Truck that I love Geno, but I see the following as reasons why not to take a chance on him:

Over 32
Injured
Production has consistently dipped
This team is at least year away from competing
His cap hit next year is 14.8 (highest on the team) while being utilized as a rotational guy (mostly because injury)

Just doesn't make a lot of sense. Use that butt-load of money to gamble on a FA pass-rusher or lock up younger guys like Lawson or WJ3
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I know we are a hybrid scheme right now, but if we going to more of a 3-4, Geno isn't the prototype fit for it.  Heck, neither was Carlos.  Our linemen should look more like the Steelers, big NT and big DE's.  So if we do commit to the 3-4 even more down the road, we should help Geno go to a team where he can thrive in a 4-3.  I think maybe even Hubbard might not be a good fit.  Lawson is good for 3-4.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He has been playing. Think I saw he had 19 snaps yesterday.
That's hardly enough to make a fair judgement of a player. 
(11-02-2020, 03:04 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I mentioned to Truck that I love Geno, but I see the following as reasons why not to take a chance on him:

Over 32
Injured
Production has consistently dipped
This team is at least year away from competing
His cap hit next year is 14.8 (highest on the team) while being utilized as a rotational guy (mostly because injury)

Just doesn't make a lot of sense. Use that butt-load of money to gamble on a FA pass-rusher or lock up younger guys like Lawson or WJ3
1.) We will/should be in a spot to compete next season. Hell we should be doing that this season.
2.) If Geno is Geno then 14.8 is a cheap price for him.
3.) I could see that
(11-02-2020, 03:50 PM)Yogo Wrote: I know we are a hybrid scheme right now, but if we going to more of a 3-4, Geno isn't the prototype fit for it.  Heck, neither was Carlos.  Our linemen should look more like the Steelers, big NT and big DE's.  So if we do commit to the 3-4 even more down the road, we should help Geno go to a team where he can thrive in a 4-3.  I think maybe even Hubbard might not be a good fit.  Lawson is good for 3-4.

The scheme issue is so overblown in today's NFL. Geno and Dunlap not fitting is BS something else is wrong that know one wants to bring up.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 04:50 PM)J24 Wrote: That's hardly enough to make a fair judgement of a player. 
1.) We will/should be in a spot to compete next season. Hell we should be doing that this season.
2.) If Geno is Geno then 14.8 is a cheap price for him.
3.) I could see that

The scheme issue is so overblown in today's NFL. Geno and Dunlap not fitting is BS something else is wrong that know one wants to bring up.

So it’s impossible to get a sack (or even a pressure) in 19 snaps? Interesting. I thought it only took one...

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We can stop dreaming about Sewell. There’s currently 6 teams with worse records than us, and our schedule eases up a bit when we start playing the rest of the NFC East.

We would currently be drafting 11. Don't forget our 1 tie puts us ahead of any other 5 loss team
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 05:03 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We would currently be drafting 11. Don't forget our 1 tie puts us ahead of any other 5 loss team

I counted the tie. I still only saw 6 teams with worse records...

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 04:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So it’s impossible to get a sack (or even a pressure) in 19 snaps? Interesting. I thought it only took one...

It's not impossible but it does make it harder to have an impact on a game. Especially for a player who is used to playing nearly 70% of the time during his career.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 05:33 PM)J24 Wrote: It's not impossible but it does make it harder to have an impact on a game. Especially for a player who is used to playing nearly 70% of the time during his career.

Before the season all the talk was about keeping him fresh so that he wouldn’t have to play that much. It clearly hasn’t had the desired effect.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 05:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Before the season all the talk was about keeping him fresh so that he wouldn’t have to play that much. It clearly hasn’t had the desired effect.

It's reasonable to say he needed less snaps to rest him but to go from 76% to 30% seems like an amazing over reach on the coaching staffs part.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Definitely Bell’s best game as a Bengal. I’ve been disappointed by him so far this season, but both safeties were lights out today.

And as much as we have been waiting on it, this was the highlight of the defense for me...
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 05:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I counted the tie. I still only saw 6 teams with worse records...

I guess you're not counting the 4 teams that are 2-5. Makes sense, however we still technically have a better winning percentage at .313 as opposed to 2-5 being .286. Meaning 2-5-1 is better than 2-5. If you include those, that's 10 teams with a worse record.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 11:38 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I guess you're not counting the 4 teams that are 2-5. Makes sense, however we still technically have a better winning percentage at .313 as opposed to 2-5 being .286. Meaning 2-5-1 is better than 2-5. If you include those, that's 10 teams with a worse record.

You’re correct.

Jets
Pats
Chargers
Texans
Jags
Giants
Washington
Cowboys
Vikings
Falcons

All worse records than us right now. Feels like there more bad teams than normal for some reason.

Reply/Quote
If Sewell is available whenever the Bengals draft, they grab him. If not, grab the best available guy on Defense. This team is still far from being able to stop the run and if I am on offensive coordinator going against this team, I run the ball 70% of the time regardless of who my QB and receiving corps are.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:27 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Now that we finally have a QB who can elevate the offense, this will help the defense substantially.

take a look at the steelers.

They have not drafted a 1st round offensive skill player - RB/WR/TE - in the last decade +

The Bengals have drafted 4 in the last 10 years.   Greshman, Eifert, Ross, AJ

The steelers basically exclusively draft Line Backers, OLine and Dline with any/all their top picks (Or they trade a 1st rounder for a player link Fitzpatrick)

Claypool, JuJu, Connor, LeVeon, James Washington, AB, any TE's - They get them all in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Why?  cause they have a HOF Qb.     Now that we have a QB who can improve the team on offense, we should be able to focus on a very similar draft pattern.

OLine, Defense, OLine, Defense, etc.

Good post.

Though, draft position matters. They always pick late 1st. Top end WR & CB are usually gone.

But I do love the emphasis on the lines. Get a QB. If you protect him and can run the ball, your O is guaranteed dynamite.
Reply/Quote