• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letter From Mike Brown
Mike Brown Sucks

[Image: ct-sports-authority-closing-stores-20160519]

Damnit!!!!! Let me try this again.

[Image: a378af2f-eff5-11e6-834b-2bfee8990374.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 08:50 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Clevelands' own fans coined the phrase " factory of sadness, " after the browns moved to Maryland, to become the Superbowl champion ravens .

Ill use [Image: 916552132a604d43ff28d4dfa1a34d35.jpg]next time. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 10:18 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: So, what are you trying to say bro'?   Hilarious

Yeah Wyche had me rolling on that one myself. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I don't think there's any doubt that Mike Brown wants to win, and that he enjoys winning more than losing. Even the most incompetent owners in the history of sports have had those basic traits. So, I don't think it says anything of value to say that he wants to win. That should be a given, due to the business that he's in.

I'm sure he also wanted to be a highly respected owner and GM. After all, his father was a legend and I'm sure Mike badly wanted to prove himself. Unfortunately, although Mike definitely inherited Paul's stubbornness, he didn't inherit his football IQ. Up until the the last 6/7 years, Mike has been intent on doing things 'his way', even when it was painfully obvious to everyone else that his way wasn't working. 

He has turned over more control in the last few years, and it resulted in a better overall product. So, he deserves credit for that - for finally getting out of the way to a certain extent. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that he spent years setting this franchise back with his ineptitude and poor decision making. 

While the letter is a nice gesture, that's all it is...a gesture. We've seen the same letter/message, in different forms, a few times over the last 26 years. I don't really have an issue with Mike telling us that he wants to win...but after 26 years without a playoff win, NFL record setting postseason futility, the lost decade of the 90's, and the overall record under his watch...it ends just being some nice words, and not a whole lot more. 

Again, I do believe Mike wants to win, as anyone in his position should. But, I do question how passionate he is about it. I've never gotten the sense that Mike has a burning desire to be a champion. What I mean is - I'm sure he would be ecstatic if the Bengals won a Super Bowl...but I don't think he has the passion that would lead him to do whatever it takes to make that moment happen. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 02:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't think there's any doubt that Mike Brown wants to win, and that he enjoys winning more than losing. Even the most incompetent owners in the history of sports have had those basic traits. So, I don't think it says anything of value to say that he wants to win. That should be a given, due to the business that he's in.

I'm sure he also wanted to be a highly respected owner and GM. After all, his father was a legend and I'm sure Mike badly wanted to prove himself. Unfortunately, although Mike definitely inherited Paul's stubbornness, he didn't inherit his football IQ. Up until the the last 6/7 years, Mike has been intent on doing things 'his way', even when it was painfully obvious to everyone else that his way wasn't working. 

He has turned over more control over the last few years, and it resulted in a better overall product. So, he deserves credit for that - for finally getting out of the way to a certain extent. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that he spent years setting this franchise back with his ineptitude and poor decision making. 

While the letter is a nice gesture, that's all it is...a gesture. We've seen the same letter/message, in different forms, a few times over the last 26 years. I don't really have an issue with Mike telling us that he wants to win...but after 26 years without a playoff win, NFL record setting postseason futility, the lost decade of the 90's, and the overall record under his watch...it ends just being some nice words, and not a whole lot more. 

Again, I do believe Mike wants to win, as anyone in his position should. But, I do question how passionate he is about it. I've never gotten the sense that Mike has a burning desire to be a champion. What I mean is - I'm sure he would be ecstatic if the Bengals won a Super Bowl...but I don't think he has the passion that would lead him to do whatever it takes to make that moment happen. 

Well said, my brother. Well said indeed!

There aren't that many 'visionaries' in this business. Paul Brown certainly was one, both on the field and in the front office. Not many can fill those shoes. And with that total package came some insecurities, seemingly when he was threatened by another's leadership qualities. I do think it was Paul's petty jealousy of Bill Walsh's talent that caused us to lose him. Just imagine how successful Walsh might've been had he been blessed with full control here. Sam Wyche may have been another, given the right administrative tools, also something we'll never know. As for Mike Brown, he simply inherited most of Paul's negative traits. It's hard to fault him for that, as he had no control over it. He can't change his stripes. He only knows what comes to him naturally I believe. Lucky us .....

With large organizations, it does take a lot of people to pull off the ultimate goal, but it still takes that single individual to set the tone. We need the NFL version of Teddy Roosevelt. And that's not Mike Brown. We're gonna have to win it all in spite of him, but that's gonna take a Bill Belichick/Robert Kraft 'partnership'. Maybe it's a lazy way to critique our situation, as those two are easy to cite as a prime example. It just seems obvious that everyone else on the radar currently pales in comparison. It's going to take new ownership to veer off this historical path, and if that ever happens, we'll likely lose the franchise to another city. I see no Cincinnatian on the horizon to buy out the Brown family, and turn us into the next New England Patriots.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 04:41 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I see no Cincinnatian on the horizon to buy out the Brown family, and turn us into the next New England Patriots.

'Holic should buy it and take over.  He took over the message board from the team, and made IT better.  We could all chip in a little.   Ninja
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 04:46 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: 'Holic should buy it and take over.  He took over the message board from the team, and made IT better.  We could all chip in a little.   Ninja

A fine idea indeed. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 01:00 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Ill use [Image: 916552132a604d43ff28d4dfa1a34d35.jpg]next time. ThumbsUp

Over my head, sorry I must have misunderstood something Drunk.
Reply/Quote
How could you fall for shit like this after 50 years

Like does anyone seriously care about this letter?
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 08:12 PM)Housh Wrote: How could you fall for shit like this after 50 years

I see more emotion (caring) on the hatred side. Those neutral or accept MB is the owner didn't give it much thought.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 12:11 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I get a lot of you have issues with the teams approach and conflicting ideas on how to run the team is one thing but I'm disappointed (but not surprised.) at the lack of credit being passed around for putting out the effort.

A lot of you ***** constantly about how the only thing Mike cares about is money and it would at least be nice to know that he cares so he writes a heartfelt letter celebrating the 50th anniversary of all of ours favorite team and people still throw crap his way. The guy literally can't win with some of you and it's just sad to constantly bring up the 90's (Seriously look at the year and think about how long ago the 90's were.). It's a football franchise you root for not some girl who broke your heart and won't take you back. Get over it.

Anything short of selling the team tomorrow or stepping aside completely will not satisfy some of you. IF this team were to ever win a Super Bowl with Mike at the helm it's going to be really funny watching the mental gymnastics you guys put yourselves through to not give him any credit the same way nobody gave him credit after the 2011 turn around.
You are safe there, CTB.  We'll probably never know, will we?
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 08:12 PM)Housh Wrote: How could you fall for shit like this after 50 years

Yeah...basically no other GM in sports would last 26+ years without winning a playoff game. Most are gone after 3-4 years of not making the playoffs.

While I think he wants to win...compare the Bengals scouting Department to the Steelers or Patriots. Then the next logical step is to ask if the Bengals scouts are just that much better than those other teams scouts...thus eliminating the need for quantity.

It's all kind of smoke and mirrors.

Like 90% of the league has won 5+ playoff games since we last did...and the Bengals have us convinced that just making the playoffs is good...
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 11:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...basically no other GM in sports would last 26+ years without winning a playoff game. Most are gone after 3-4 years of not making the playoffs.

While I think he wants to win...compare the Bengals scouting Department to the Steelers or Patriots. Then the next logical step is to ask if the Bengals scouts are just that much better than those other teams scouts...thus eliminating the need for quantity.

It's all kind of smoke and mirrors.

Like 90% of the league has won 5+ playoff games since we last did...and the Bengals have us convinced that just making the playoffs is good...

HE IS AN OWNER FIRST,not a GM. As an owner, he does not believe in the GM role and uses 3 or 4 employees and himself to fulfill the GM role. I am not saying I agree with no traditiona GM, but MB is not the GM, he is the owner.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 01:45 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: HE IS AN OWNER FIRST,not a GM. As an owner, he does not believe in the GM role and uses 3 or 4 employees and himself to fulfill the GM role. I am not saying I agree with no traditiona GM, but MB is not the GM, he is the owner.

Yeah it's semantics debate to me. For every article saying he's "handed the ball to Katie/Tobin/Marv", there's another mention that he's still "heavily involved, has final say, and at the facility 7 days a week". If you don't think Mike has a finger in the pie, you're fooling yourself. The obsessive strategy with compensatory picks reeks of Mike Brown, and there's no way anyone has free reign with Mike's money. We all know better than that.

They may say all the right things about who has power, but when you're limited in what/how you can spend and by a strategy that's become more prevalent each year, what power do you really have? Now if we're talking strictly about the draft, then yeah I do believe Mike has deferred to a combo of Tobin and Marv, with position coaches (especially Piano Man) having a say. Katie I believe handle contracts and might occasionally offer an opinion, but I don't think she's as strong a presence as we've been led to believe.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 12:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah it's semantics debate to me. For every article saying he's "handed the ball to Katie/Tobin/Marv", there's another mention that he's still "heavily involved, has final say, and at the facility 7 days a week". If you don't think Mike has a finger in the pie, you're fooling yourself. The obsessive strategy with compensatory picks reeks of Mike Brown, and there's no way anyone has free reign with Mike's money. We all know better than that.

They may say all the right things about who has power, but when you're limited in what/how you can spend and by a strategy that's become more prevalent each year, what power do you really have? Now if we're talking strictly about the draft, then yeah I do believe Mike has deferred to a combo of Tobin and Marv, with position coaches (especially Piano Man) having a say. Katie I believe handle contracts and might occasionally offer an opinion, but I don't think she's as strong a presence as we've been led to believe.

Agree. I've read where he's referred to as the de facto GM.

If I had to rank the biggest issues with the Bengals management structure...it wouldn't be the lack of GM...it's the small scouting staff. In another thread I've compared them to the Patriots and Steelers. Those teams have double and triple the personnel.

So are the Bengals scouts just that much better than those teams? Is that why we're so small?

And scouts aren't just for drafting. Scouts can be used for free agency and determining which players fit your scheme. Scouting for upcoming games, etc.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 02:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agree. I've read where he's referred to as the de facto GM.

If I had to rank the biggest issues with the Bengals management structure...it wouldn't be the lack of GM...it's the small scouting staff. In another thread I've compared them to the Patriots and Steelers. Those teams have double and triple the personnel.

So are the Bengals scouts just that much better than those teams? Is that why we're so small?

And scouts aren't just for drafting. Scouts can be used for free agency and determining which players fit your scheme. Scouting for upcoming games, etc.

Eh, i believe the biggest issues are Mike Brown and the coaching. Mike Brown as Shake says has too much say,
especially in FA. Where we hardly ever go out and get that player that would push us over the top, we rely too
much on the crapshoot draft where players are unproven in the NFL.

Marv and PA are just bad coaches. Especially PA who Boling said himself does not coach up his players mid
season. Where PA handpicks his Center and he ends up sucking, where PA starts a 1st round pick even when
he was clearly not ready to the detriment of the team.

Marv is terrible at motivating the players in big games and is terrible at adjusting in the games.

I think our scouts do a good job of scouting talent. It is our coaches inability to coach up said talent.
Reply/Quote