Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lewis opens up to media
Marvin, quoted by Hobson, during today's presser, when asked about half-time adjustments:

“If an offensive coordinator repeated a play we would come in and pay him anyway. We have to see one of those guys repeat a play. So, the adjustment that’s more journalism jargon than truth,” Lewis said. “May be a mental thing, may be a repetition thing, a confidence thing, a poise thing, time on task thing. It’s all those things, really, is what it is. “

Anyone care to attempt a translation?
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 09:15 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Marvin, quoted by Hobson, during today's presser, when asked about half-time adjustments:

“If an offensive coordinator repeated a play we would come in and pay him anyway. We have to see one of those guys repeat a play. So, the adjustment that’s more journalism jargon than truth,” Lewis said. “May be a mental thing, may be a repetition thing, a confidence thing, a poise thing, time on task thing. It’s all those things, really, is what it is. “

Anyone care to attempt a translation?

The entire press conference transcript is up now.  Part of the issue I think is some typos.  It was littered with them and the context for that synopsis is very different when reading the actual questions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 09:51 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The entire press conference transcript is up now.  Part of the issue I think is some typos.  It was littered with them and the context for that synopsis is very different when reading the actual questions.

Thanks.  I think Hobson needs an editor.
Reply/Quote
Here's the biggest questions and answers I took out of it... and my oh my was I somewhat shocked from most of his answers. Usually it's "we've got to be better", "had some opportunities", "just need to execute better" jargon. But this seemed like him opening up quite a bit. Gotta say most his answers make me very uneasy.

Question: Are the fourth quarter struggles a matter of intangibles? Or is it competitiveness?... What about Xs and Os?

Lewis’ response: We have to figure out a way to get better at it...It’s not x’s and o’s.

Question: So you don’t think teams are adjusting?

Lewis’ response: No...the ‘adjustment,’ that’s more journalism jargon than truth.

Question: Do you like what Randy Bullock did, or will there be open competition?

Lewis’ response: I think we are up in the air right now...Randy is someone who we identified early on who could replace Mike (Nugent) when we looked for a replacement. We didn’t make the move one week, and Randy was unavailable for two weeks. Mike didn’t come out of it, and we made the move.

Question: (Hindsight is 20/20, but do you look back and think) ... maybe some of these younger guys should have been worked in sooner?

Lewis’ response:...to me, it's got to be a competitive thing. It's got to be what does he know, what does he not know...I think that's the hard part, to put everybody in jeopardy. So you've got to prove it. It's harder this way in the NFL. Our time is constricted (more) than what it used to be...

Question: This draft is shaping up to be pretty intriguing – you’ve got a lot of picks – do you sense this draft will have a big impact on what you’re doing?

Lewis response: ...Obviously the guys picked early in the draft have a great opportunity to come in and make substantial contributions early on, and that will be great for this team...
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Let this sink in. he says teams don't adjust, ONLY eyed Bullock, then waited until he was cut to sign him and cut Nuge. Then his comment on rookies vs veteran etc, etc
Reply/Quote
The horrifying part is that when he finally says something he's saying stuff that confirms what we've all been bashing these people for all this time.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 05:27 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Question: This draft is shaping up to be pretty intriguing – you’ve got a lot of picks – do you sense this draft will have a big impact on what you’re doing?

Lewis response: ...Obviously the guys picked early in the draft have a great opportunity to come in and make substantial contributions early on, and that will be great for this team...

I'm pretty sure he's been saying this since the 2003 draft.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 05:43 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: The horrifying part is that when he finally says something he's saying stuff that confirms what we've all been bashing these people for all this time.

Exactly. I mean we all know this, and usually he dances around it, but he seemed very forthright and open. Gotta admit I STILL shocked about the part of adjustments @ halftime. Flat out pathetic answer.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 05:47 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm pretty sure he's been saying this since the 2003 draft.

He has, but the question before that he said something along the lines of "it's what you know, and don't know" meaning it's hard to trust rookies, but then say he's excited about opportunity to have them contribute substantially. Which is it, then you kno?
Reply/Quote
Can't wait to see certain people try and defend this LOL

I cannot believe I actually thought this guy was going to be the savior of this franchise at one point. He couldn't save a pop warner team. He just doesn't get it.
Reply/Quote
Young guys getting in has to be a competitive thing? So why exactly was Og starting 12 games, sucking the whole way?

Game adjustments are journalist jargon? Funny how coaches who commentate don't seem to think that way at all.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 05:30 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Let this sink in. he says teams don't adjust, ONLY eyed Bullock, then waited until he was cut to sign him and cut Nuge. Then his comment on rookies vs veteran etc, etc

This comment is it for me.  I was not a hard core Marvin hater but this comment shut the door for me.  The utter proof of the disconnect between Marvin and facts..

Quote:Question: Are the fourth quarter struggles a matter of intangibles? Or is it competitiveness?... What about Xs and Os?

Lewis’ response: We have to figure out a way to get better at it...It’s not x’s and o’s.

13 years. The same coach, the same "system". Players have come and gone.  But it's not an X's and O's thing.  Dansby suddenly became worse at covering TEs when he got here. Must be age, he hit that wall.  It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the X's and O's of a system that has struggled against TEs for 13 years. 

What an arrogant, under achieving jack ass.  

[Image: get-out.jpg]

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Journalist jargon.

Call it whatever he wants, Marvin's coaching is as useless in the second half as a Jell-o mouth guard. Speaks volumes to the last decade in his belief that other teams don't see what he does and adjust.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 05:27 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Lewis’ response: We have to figure out a way to get better at it...It’s not x’s and o’s, its quite simply the coaching.

Fixed the response for ya Marvin...
Reply/Quote
"We have to figure out a way to get better at it...It’s not x’s and o’s."

Does this mean it isn't the coaching, it is player execution?  If it does mean that, how do the players execute better?  Coaching.

This is why I seldom listen to a damn thing Marvin Lewis says. Because he doesn't say a god damn thing worth listening to.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 11:15 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Can't wait to see certain people try and defend this LOL

I cannot believe I actually thought this guy was going to be the savior of this franchise at one point. He couldn't save a pop warner team. He just doesn't get it.

Marvin Lewis was the correct choice in 2003 to take the Bengals from the cellar to being competitive but he's not a championship coach. It's time to thank Marvin for his work and move on to someone who can bring a Lombardi to Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 12:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin Lewis was the correct choice in 2003 to take the Bengals from the cellar to being competitive but he's not a championship coach.  It's time to thank Marvin for his work and move on to someone who can bring a Lombardi to Cincinnati.

I agree with that. Back in 2003 my 14 year old self was ecstatic with the Marvin hire. But now... Yikes. It's true, all Marvin has been good for is getting us just above mediocre. He's proven that he can't get us to that next level... It's sad really. If someone had told me 14 years ago that Marvin would take this team to the playoffs 7 times (and 5 times in a row) but still not have a single playoff win I would have called them crazy. Very unfortunate how things worked out.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 02:01 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I agree with that. Back in 2003 my 14 year old self was ecstatic with the Marvin hire. But now... Yikes. It's true, all Marvin has been good for is getting us just above mediocre. He's proven that he can't get us to that next level... It's sad really. If someone had told me 14 years ago that Marvin would take this team to the playoffs 7 times (and 5 times in a row) but still not have a single playoff win I would have called them crazy. Very unfortunate how things worked out.

We cannot forget who he works for. I place as much if not more blame on MB than on Marv anymore. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 05:43 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: The horrifying part is that when he finally says something he's saying stuff that confirms what we've all been bashing these people for all this time.

Yes, it is horrifying, great word for it.

Just ignore in-game adjustments Marv, that is just word jargon. Shocked

Sad when the journalists are actually asking the right questions.

Just one more year people of mediocrity i hope. Probably make the playoffs and be one and done.

Will be hard for any coach to ever beat that legacy. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 04:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, it is horrifying, great word for it.

Just ignore in-game adjustments Marv, that is just word jargon. Shocked

Sad when the journalists are actually asking the right questions.

Just one more year people of mediocrity i hope. Probably make the playoffs and be one and done.

Will be hard for any coach to ever beat that legacy. Smirk

Actually, I think the reporters are far to soft on him, almost like they fear him. I think there's one reporter (Katie, I think her name is?) that always asks the tougher questions, but most everyone else lets him off way to easy. The halftime adjustment bit is probably the worst thing i've ever heard an NFL coach say. Seriously. And it explains EVERYTHING. He has one plan and one plan only. If you beat that plan, you beat him. 
Reply/Quote