Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linderbaum Sub 32" Arms
Linderbaum has 31.12" arm length will drop him in the draft. You add his arm length in his relative lightweight in his pants. I don't know how he would fare in the AFC North.

There are only two relatively successful centers in the NFL since the year 2000 that had similar arm length and that was Mangold and Mack according to the Cinci jungle blog.

According to the blog, Bodine and Price had about 32 in and not very successful. Bradbury has had some difficulties as well and he has short arms.

If he's there in round 1, do the Bengals pick him?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hope not. Not because of his T-rex arms, but because I would much prefer the Bengals address the position in free agency. Jensen or Bozeman, please.

If we don't have our center before the draft, we have blown free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 02:04 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I hope not.  Not because of his T-rex arms, but because I would much prefer the Bengals address the position in free agency.  Linsley or Bozeman, please.  

I thought linsley signed a long-term deal with the chargers
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 02:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I thought linsley signed a long-term deal with the chargers

Thanks.  I meant Jensen.  I'll edit.
Reply/Quote
During the broadcast they were raving about the depth of C in the class. That’s what really makes me hesitate taking a guy with a physical limitation so early when there are solid options later
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 02:04 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I hope not.  Not because of his T-rex arms, but because I would much prefer the Bengals address the position in free agency. Jensen or Bozeman, please.  

Bradley Bozeman is a power/gap center and has been since college. He's not a guy I would want to pay 8 to 10mil to try to fit in a wide zone scheme.

Ryan Jensen MIGHT be successful in a wide zone he has better athleticism than Bozeman but you are taking him out of that power/gap scheme that is earning him his 10+ mil contract and throwing him into a scheme he may or may not succeed in...

Brian Allen one of the best wide zone center in the NFL. He is young and still developing with only an season and a half under his belt. He will be about the same price as Bozeman. That is the way I would go.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 03:02 PM)Synric Wrote: Bradley Bozeman is a power/gap center and has been since college. He's not a guy I would want to pay 8 to 10mil to try to fit in a wide zone scheme.

Ryan Jensen MIGHT be successful in a wide zone he has better athleticism than Bozeman but you are taking him out of that power/gap scheme that is earning him his 10+ mil contract and throwing him into a scheme he may or may not succeed in...

Brian Allen one of the best wide zone center in the NFL. He is young and still developing with only an season and a half under his belt. He will be about the same price as Bozeman. That is the way I would go.

Good insight.  Scheme fit is important.

Does his injury history concern you?  I don't have specifics but I know he has missed games.
Reply/Quote
Cam Jurgens, the Nebraska center, tested off the charts athletically. Watching film, the guy can flat out move. Great at pulling, and running down the field and getting to the second and third levels. He does need some more seasoning, but he looks very coachable. I'm warming up to the idea of signing Ben Jones for a year or two, letting Jurgens learn, strengthen, and improve his technique, and then take over.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
Everybody's concerned about his arm length, which I get would be a concern for tackles and even guards, but how much of a problem would it be for a center, especially in our division where he'd be facing nose tackles heads up and it would be more just power blocking.

I get it for tackles because they have to be able to get their hands on them to help control them and slow them, but the center is generally hit pretty instantly. They need to have good reach, but a center isn't out in space like a tackle is.

Is the arm length really that big of an issue for a center?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 04:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Everybody's concerned about his arm length, which I get would be a concern for tackles and even guards, but how much of a problem would it be for a center, especially in our division where he'd be facing nose tackles heads up and it would be more just power blocking.

I get it for tackles because they have to be able to get their hands on them to help control them and slow them, but the center is generally hit pretty instantly. They need to have good reach, but a center isn't out in space like a tackle is.

Is the arm length really that big of an issue for a center?

I don't see it as a problem on the field.  The handicap of being a short-armed center would show up most egregiously at the Thursday night O-line dinners at The Precinct.  Linderbaum's puny appendages would have trouble reaching for the seafood tower, with long-armed tackles out-grabbing him.  In fact there's a rumor that the reason poor stubby-armed Billy Price busted was because he just wasted away from lack of nourishment while watching Fred and Isaiah snag all the crab legs.

Now where short arms come in handy is when it's time to pick up the bill.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 04:46 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I don't see it as a problem on the field.  The handicap of being a short-armed center would show up most egregiously at the Thursday night O-line dinners at The Precinct.  Linderbaum's puny appendages would have trouble reaching for the seafood tower, with long-armed tackles out-grabbing him.  In fact there's a rumor that the reason poor stubby-armed Billy Price busted was because he just wasted away from lack of nourishment while watching Fred and Isaiah snag all the crab legs.

Now where short arms come in handy is when it's time to pick up the bill.

That's the same thing I was thinking.

Having an inch shorter arms than most centers isn't going to hurt too much when he's blocking d-linemen almost instantly and they won't have room to speed rush around him.
Reply/Quote
It didn't prevent them from drafting Price or Williams in the First.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 03:02 PM)Synric Wrote: Bradley Bozeman is a power/gap center and has been since college. He's not a guy I would want to pay 8 to 10mil to try to fit in a wide zone scheme.

That's why I find it so odd people are obsessing over Bozeman.
He's been very successful in BAL, but they are a very different style than Bengals.
Just look at Bozeman's RAS if you want to see how unathletic he is.
https://ras.football/2019/12/22/bradley-bozeman-ras/

The Bengals need (and want) athletes. Those are the kind of players who will succeed in the wide zone.

Centers I like:
Linderbaum (yes, even with the short arms, I think his athleticism, hands, and wrestling background compensate)
Parham
Jurgens
Lindstrom

OGs I like:
Zion Johnson
Sean Rhyan
Raimann

OTs I like:
Petit-Frere
Lucas
Walker

I know some are high on Darian Kinnard because he's nasty, but he's not athletic enough for Bengals. He could be real good with a team like Ravens though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 05:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's why I find it so odd people are obsessing over Bozeman.
He's been very successful in BAL, but they are a very different style than Bengals.

The Bengals need (and want) athletes. Those are the kind of players who will succeed in the wide zone.

Centers I like:
Linderbaum (yes, even with the short arms, I think his athleticism, hands, and wrestling background compensate)
Parham
Jurgens
Lindstrom

OGs I like:
Zion Johnson
Sean Rhyan
Raimann

OTs I like:
Petit-Frere
Lucas
Walker

I know some are high on Darian Kinnard because he's nasty, but he's not athletic enough for Bengals. He could be real good with a team like Ravens though.

Why don’t you like Penning?

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 05:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's why I find it so odd people are obsessing over Bozeman.

Centers I like:
Parham
Jurgens
Lindstrom

OGs I like:
Zion Johnson
Sean Rhyan
Raimann

OTs I like:
Petit-Frere
Lucas
Walker

One you didn't mention that I like is Luke Goedeke (sp) I think he can play Guard or Tackle. He's not outstanding at any 1 particular thing but he's solid in all facets.
Reply/Quote
Linderbaum was a high caliber wrestler…I said it in another thread but draft high caliber wrestlers on the OL it works out. The arm issues are easier to overcome by a wrestler because of the ability to “hand fight” and beat the hand of the defender.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 08:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: Linderbaum was a high caliber wrestler…I said it in another thread but draft high caliber wrestlers on the OL it works out. The arm issues are easier to overcome by a wrestler because of the ability to “hand fight” and beat the hand of the defender.

I noticed that too and we need him to be able to be more physical at the center position, like wrestling, more than we'll need him to use his hands more like he would at tackle on the outside.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 06:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why don’t you like Penning?

I do like Penning, I just think there's no way now that he makes it to 31.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 08:18 PM)pulses Wrote: One you didn't mention that I like is Luke Goedeke (sp) I think he can play Guard or Tackle. He's not outstanding at any 1 particular thing but he's solid in all facets.

I didn't mention him because I really haven't been that high on him.
From everything I've read so far on him, he sounds like a depth-only guy.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 10:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't mention him because I really haven't been that high on him.
From everything I've read so far on him, he sounds like a depth-only guy.
Might wanna check into that a little more. He's better than you think.

Goedeke is a two-year starter inside Central Michigan's zone-heavy run scheme with 25 career starts at right tackle. Goedeke has a stocky build with a strong center of gravity, balance and loose hips to deliver the power to hit, lift and drive defenders off of their spot. He does a nice job with an up-and-under technique at the point of contact with tight elbows that allows him to work inside and gain immediate control at the point of attack. Goedeke's strong latch, consistent leg drive and unrelenting effort allow him to steer and finish at a high level in the run game.

Goedeke excels in pass protection using a good base, posture and a stiff, firm back to sit down and anchor against power while staying light on his hands to reset and stay in the fight. He doesn't have the length to stay at tackle in the NFL, playing with a soft edge that speed rushers can work around too easily. He is also susceptible to getting knocked on his heels and pried open against longer power rushers who utilize the long-arm technique to gain control of his frame.
Overall, Goedeke is still new to the offensive line without consecutive seasons at the position and just two total seasons after converting from tight end in 2019 and missing the 2020 season with a knee injury. He has a sawed-off, stout build with the play strength, competitive toughness and balance to make a successful transition inside. Goedeke's demeanor and knack for staying attached to blocks using a strong latch and leg drive should allow him to compete for a job right away while presumably having room to ascend as he gains experience.
Reply/Quote