Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logan Wilson is the best linebacker we’ve had since i began watching. (2002)
That pick he got in Tampa 2 was amazing. Linebackers just don’t make that play very often. Flacco played like 4th round rookie QB but we can’t discount great plays because the competition was subpar. This is the NFL everyone is a pro.

I believe Logan is under the “sign at any cost” designation but if he plays well this year how hard will he be to resign?

By my eyes he’s been all pro or just slightly under it so far this year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
He was a great draft pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Love the guy too.

He is a quiet warrior too.

Just shows up, goes about his business and delivers consistently…..and my favorite part ….keeps his mouth shut.

Zero flash.

Huge fan here as well.
Reply/Quote
Good player. Not really a pass rush threat though. Is solid in all the other areas though.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 01:29 AM)Housh Wrote: That pick he got in Tampa 2 was amazing. Linebackers just don’t make that play very often. Flacco played like 4th round rookie QB but we can’t discount great plays because the competition was subpar. This is the NFL everyone is a pro.

I believe Logan is under the “sign at any cost” designation but if he plays well this year how hard will he be to resign?

By my eyes he’s been all pro or just slightly under it so far this year

No doubt but I do wonder how many NFL LB's not only played the S position in HS but that were recruited to play S in college and were then moved to LB. Probably more than we think as that is a big reason why the SEC has so much speed. They'll also take HS LB's and bulk them up to DE's, too.

After watching Logan a year ago he certainly uses those physical tools/skills and nuances of the S position and brings them to LB.
Reply/Quote
Kevin Hardy (though he had lost a step a bit, when he was with us)
Brian Simmons
Odell
Burfict

Are all at Wilson's level, I feel (since 2002).

But Logan has the potential to be better: only Odell can claim the coverage ability that Logan has and I think Logan is better anyways.

Simmons and Burfict are at his level in the run game, but as Pistons said, he doesn't have the pass rush chops from ILB like Hardy had (and Hardy was great against the run too).

But we didn't use Hardy to rush the passer often and we don't use Logan to rush the passer often, so that's a moot point, IMO.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 10:38 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Kevin Hardy (though he had lost a step a bit, when he was with us)
Brian Simmons
Odell
Burfict

But Logan has the potential to be better: only Odell can claim the coverage ability that Logan has and I think Logan is better anyways.

Simmons and Burfict are at his level in the run game, but as Pistons said, he doesn't have the pass rush chops from ILB like Hardy had (and Hardy was great against the run too).

But we didn't use Hardy to rush the passer often and we don't use Logan to rush the passer often, so that's a moot point, IMO.

Oh what could have been with Odell Thurman.  I really think he could have been an all time great.

As much as I liked Kevin Hardy, he had definitely lost a step by the time he came to Cincinnati.  On the other hand, Takeo Spikes was in the discussion as one of the top talents in the entire NFL during his tenure with us and was around in 2002.  Ironic that he left to be on a playoff contender in Buffalo (who he didn't make the playoffs with) right before we found some success.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 10:46 AM)wcu Wrote: Oh what could have been with Odell Thurman.  I really think he could have been an all time great.

As much as I liked Kevin Hardy, he had definitely lost a step by the time he came to Cincinnati.  On the other hand, Takeo Spikes was in the discussion as one of the top talents in the entire NFL during his tenure with us and was around in 2002.  Ironic that he left to be on a playoff contender in Buffalo (who he didn't make the playoffs with) right before we found some success.

15 years, never once played i a playoff game. Everywhere he went, they were just coming off the playoffs or made it after he left. Except maybe Buffalo. I think there was just a lot of talk about Buffalo coming up, around the time he went there. 

Crazy league sometimes.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Logan is one of my favorite players on this team and that INT was amazing

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Logan still has years ahead of him on the field and hopefully successful ones with the Bengals. I like watching him as the dude seems to play hard.

This thread sparked a thought, who are the starters at LB on an all-time Bengals team?
Reply/Quote
I hope Logan is a part of the Bengals future for another 10 years. He's extremely solid and likeable player.

He's what I would call a CORE PLAYER :)
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 10:46 AM)wcu Wrote: Oh what could have been with Odell Thurman.  I really think he could have been an all time great.

Yeah he was so good that year.  The amount of money that man lost and the life he could have led is unreal.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I've been watching since 88. Spikes ia the only one who compares.. O'Dell woulda been good, but...
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 12:30 PM)Tony Wrote: I've been watching since 88. Spikes ia the only one who compares.. O'Dell woulda been good, but...

Some of you seem to be forgetting just how good Burfict was from about 2013-15. I love Wilson, but he’s not in some whole other tier than prime Burfict.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 10:38 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Kevin Hardy (though he had lost a step a bit, when he was with us)
Brian Simmons
Odell
Burfict

Yep. And if you put Reader, Hendrickson, and Hubbard on a line in front of some of those past Bengals LB's...they'd be more effective.

And if you put Wilson on some of those teams...maybe he's a Caleb Miller-level player? Really hard to say.

DJ Reader is just so elite and commands a double-team at times in the running game. That lets LB's run free instead of having a Guard on them.

And I'm in no way trying to bash Wilson. He's a fine player on this team and he fits nicely on the defense.

It just seems like teams don't care if LB's can cover passes anymore and go for pass rushers.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 12:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Some of you seem to be forgetting just how good Burfict was from about 2013-15. I love Wilson, but he’s not in some whole other tier than prime Burfict.

The problem with Burfict is that from 2013-2015, he played in 31 out of 48 games, or 64%. He barely played in 2014. Burfict was fantastic...when he played. The problem is that he rarely played, due to suspensions and injuries. He played a full season twice in his career, rookie year and 2013. For the rest of his career, he played less than 50% of the available games. 

For that reason, I'd put Wilson ahead of Burfict right now. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 12:30 PM)Tony Wrote: I've been watching since 88. Spikes ia the only one who compares.. O'Dell woulda been good, but...

Spikes > Wilson to this point and it's not close. Spikes was a great LB. Absolutely great.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 08:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Good player. Not really a pass rush threat though. Is solid in all the other areas though.

I don't think that is on account of Wilson not being able to blitz effectively.  I think it has to do with Lou so seldomly sending any LB to blitz up the gut, which could be because they are typically in Nickle on passing situations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 01:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't think that is on account of Wilson not being able to blitz effectively.  I think it has to do with Lou so seldomly sending any LB to blitz up the gut, which could be because they are typically in Nickle on passing situations.

Yep. LB position is so different today. Almost like trying to compare NBA players with hand-check rule vs. no rule or comparing MLB hitters today vs. previously. Build these HS type, band ball ball fields with short porches and all you do is teach your hitters to swing up on the ball. Hitting .235 today with 35 bombs/90-100 RBI's gets a young player a 150 mm contract.

Teams in the NFL running 3-4 WR's , TE's running seam routes, TE's blocking and releasing along with specialty RB's catching balls out in the flat requires far more nickel and dime coverages, and a guy like Wilson with his speed/reflexes/ ability to back peddle and cover players downfield is vital and especially when we do already have an elite DE who gets to the QB.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 01:14 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Yep. LB position is so different today. Almost like trying to compare NBA players with hand-check rule vs. no rule or comparing MLB hitters today vs. previously. Build these HS type, band ball ball fields with short porches and all you do is teach your hitters to swing up on the ball. Hitting .235 today with 35 bombs/90-100 RBI's gets a young player a 150 mm contract.

Teams in the NFL running 3-4 WR's , TE's running seam routes, TE's blocking and releasing along with specialty RB's catching balls out in the flat requires far more nickel and dime coverages, and a guy like Wilson with his speed/reflexes/ ability to back peddle and cover players downfield is vital.

About the only way I could see Anarumo sending Wilson up the gut is if they had ADG and Pratt on the field with him at the same time, which is such a rarity in passing situations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote