Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logic & Arithmetic Puzzle!
(04-07-2020, 02:25 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Bullshit answer

3+5=8
8x14 =112

If your diagram had the witch and the wand in parentheses, sure, it's 73.
But it doesn’t so I call bullshit.

Rules of solving math equations are parentheses then exponents then multiply/divide and finally add/subtract. Since the first 2 don't apply in this case you have to multiply/divide first meaning you must do 5x14=70 and then do 3+70=73. The only way parentheses makes a difference in this equation if it's around 3+5. In that case your explanation would be right because you would have to do 3+5 first to take care of the parentheses.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 03:29 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Rules of solving math equations are parentheses then exponents then multiply/divide and finally add/subtract. Since the first 2 don't apply in this case you have to multiply/divide first meaning you must do 5x14=70 and then do 3+70=73. The only way parentheses makes a difference in this equation if it's around 3+5. In that case your explanation would be right because you would have to do 3+5 first to take care of the parentheses.

Thank you, I was about to give the PEMDAS lesson to another poster.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 02:25 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Bullshit answer

3+5=8
8x14 =112

If your diagram had the witch and the wand in parentheses, sure, it's 73.
But it doesn’t so I call bullshit.

Hmm, I think that you would fail 5th grade Mathematics in today's society..   LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 06:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I think that you would fail 5th grade Mathematics in today's society..   LOL

Or maybe in fifth grade, they wouldn't be writing the equation backwards unless the teacher was just an ass.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 08:08 PM)McC Wrote: Or maybe in fifth grade, they wouldn't be writing the equation backwards unless the teacher was just an ass.

Have you checked out a 5th grad Math book?  They do write problems like that, specifically for the purpose of teaching students to learn how to follow the order of operations.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 08:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Have you checked out a 5th grad Math book?  They do write problems like that, specifically for the purpose of teaching students to learn how to follow the order of operations.

Well, it has been many years since I had a fifth grader.(And thank God for that).  And it goes back to what I said about why they can't make change without a computer.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 08:33 PM)McC Wrote: Well, it has been many years since I had a fifth grader.(And thank God for that).  And it goes back to what I said about why they can't make change without a computer.

They didn't make the TV show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" for nothing.  Personally, I think it was indeed produced specifically to show us how much tougher 5th grade is now, than it was "way back when".  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm taking my ball and going home
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 12:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm taking my ball and going home

Don’t worry bro, the other one will drop eventually. Maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 12:54 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Don’t worry bro, the other one will drop eventually.  Maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 2 ex-wives, believe me, they are gone...
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 08:33 PM)McC Wrote: Well, it has been many years since I had a fifth grader.(And thank God for that).  And it goes back to what I said about why they can't make change without a computer.

i always have to bite my lip (and it doesn't always help the chuckle) whenever I go into a store and buy something for $5.26 and the cashier sees you pulling out a $10 and rings it up while I'm fishing in my pocket for the 26 cents. I hand them the ten and change and they get this blank stare on their face having absolutely no clue what to do. The register of course says my change is $4.74, they're like well umm, ok ummm. 

I save them and say put that money in the drawer hand me a $5 and it's fine. They're like but the drawer will be off.....I have to reassure them your money will not be off !

Just can't figure it out at all without computer, sad.
Reply/Quote
2nd attempt at this.

My last post wasn't serious.

I was sarcastically impersonating a certain celebrity figure, deflecting, attacking, distracting from me being wrong twice. I totally spaced I sent that as I was sitting on the commode at work and then went about the rest of my day instead of following up on the comments. Sorry if that came across as bitchy.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 06:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What is the answer?

35. Havent looked at any replies yet lol.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 11:16 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: 35. Havent looked at any replies yet lol.

35 is not the answer, you have to look very closely at the details.  (it's tricky)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote