Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Term Strategy
Draft a WR in the first round every other year?

These WR contracts are insane.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Draft a WR in the first round every other year?

I don't disagree. If we can have our OL set is FA, if I guy like Jameson Wiliams is available at pick 31, we should probably. take him. Yes, he tore his ACL but could you imagine Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Williams?

That would be scary to defend if we get a great OL to protect Burrow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't disagree. If we can have or OL set is FA, if I guy like Jameson Wiliams is available at pick 31, we should probably. take him. Yes, he tore his ACL but could you imagine Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Williams?

That would be scary to defend if get a great OL to protect Burrow

If someone like Olave was there I would take him. I don’t think you can have enough WR. If Chase goes down with an injury, how good is our Offense? I wouldn’t choose a WR over an O line of equal value, but if he’s BPA, take the WR.
Reply/Quote
Going to enjoy the next two years but once Chase is up for his deal he is likely looking at Adams money.... not sure how we will afford a team with Burrow, Chase and Higgins locking up 75% of the salary
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Consider RB as well....

2024 we will have to let Joe go. $10M cap savings and Boyd's 10M will be gone.

We will then focus all of our offense dollars on QB, oline, and 2 receivers of any type (hopefully Chase and Higgins)

In 2024 we draft the very best running back in college. We pay him rookie salary 4-5 years then let him walk. And do it again. Keeps top tier talent at low price.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:13 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Going to enjoy the next two years but once Chase is up for his deal he is likely looking at Adams money.... not sure how we will afford a team with Burrow, Chase and Higgins locking up 75% of the salary

We do it with cash bonuses and prorate.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We do it with cash bonuses and prorate.

I think you keep Joe Burrow and Chase and just sign a bunch of fifth or six rounders.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:11 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: If someone like Olave was there I would take him. I don’t think you can have enough WR. If Chase goes down with an injury, how good is our Offense? I wouldn’t choose a WR over an O line of equal value, but if he’s BPA, take the WR.

For real though, if we land Collins and a guy like Tretter, I'm all for Olave or even Williams and rolling the dice on a round 2 CB. No depth at WR if one of the big 3 get hurt. Trent Taylor and Stanley Morgan would be one hell of a drop off
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Consider RB as well....

2024 we will have to let Joe go. $10M cap savings and Boyd's 10M will be gone.

We will then focus all of our offense dollars on QB, oline, and 2 receivers of any type (hopefully Chase and Higgins)

In 2024 we draft the very best running back in college.  We pay him rookie salary 4-5 years then let him walk.  And do it again. Keeps top tier talent at low price.

I know I'm drunk now but I was thinking earlier about how running backs have been undervalued and my conclusion was is that the quarterbacks today are so precise and so good that it's a quarterback team kind of thing and that pretty much any running back that can decently block and catch balls is okay to have these days. 

20 to 30 years ago is all about the running back and that's because the quarterbacks weren't quite as sharp as they are today
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't disagree. If we can have our OL set is FA, if I guy like Jameson Wiliams is available at pick 31, we should probably. take him. Yes, he tore his ACL but could you imagine Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Williams?

That would be scary to defend if we get a great OL to protect Burrow

I think the point of the OP is you would address in the draft so you don’t have to deal a contract like Adams’ to say Chase when he is due.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know I'm drunk now but I was thinking earlier about how running backs have been undervalued and my conclusion was is that the quarterbacks today are so precise and so good that it's a quarterback team kind of thing and that pretty much any running back that can decently block and catch balls is okay to have these days. 

20 to 30 years ago is all about the running back and that's because the quarterbacks weren't quite as sharp as they are today

Exactly, great point.

Reply/Quote
Burrow and Chase are difference makers and need to be locked up in the 4th year of their rookie contracts. The rest of the weapons are replaceable. The way the young talent is going, WR and RB are starting to become saturated. I think it only makes sense to get at least 2 WRs on rookie contracts every year and at least 1 WR in the first 3 rounds. Paying the 2nd contracts are what kills a roster rapidly. If you don't, you end up like Green Bay holding the bag of Rodger's contract and a bunch of meh weapons...
Reply/Quote
I think Davante Adams ends being nowhere close to living up to his contract and instead it serves as a reality check for these WR contracts.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Draft a WR in the first round every other year?

As long as we have Burrow at QB I absolutely agree with this logic.   Except it does not have to be a first rounder.  Colleges are producing a lot more polished WRs than they used too.  There is going to be decent WR talent to be had in the first 3 rounds of any draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know I'm drunk now but I was thinking earlier about how running backs have been undervalued and my conclusion was is that the quarterbacks today are so precise and so good that it's a quarterback team kind of thing and that pretty much any running back that can decently block and catch balls is okay to have these days. 

QBs are better but so are all players due to conditioning, year round training etc.
The big reason that the run game has taken a back seat to the passing game is the rules. The league makes it very easy to throw it and you can pick up yards a lot quicker. They can’t touch QBs or maul WRs like they used to.
Higgins will probably be too expensive so within 3-4 years Chase will have new running mates at WR2 and WR3. You have to keep #1 and let the other guys go.
*The Bengals have a pretty good record drafting WRs so I hope that continues.

*One big exception to this is named John Ross
Reply/Quote

See? That's what you get for drinking. 31 years ago it was Boomer and Icky, I was 32 and killing the family cat right before the superbowl because it was in really bad shape and wasn't going to survive..and I drank a LOT that day to forget the cat AND the superbowl.. Cool
OK, so I like to ramble..At least my mom had a Rambler..  Tongue
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 11:26 PM)grampahol Wrote: See? That's what you get for drinking. 31 years ago it was Boomer and Icky, I was 32 and killing the family cat right before the superbowl because it was in really bad shape and wasn't going to survive..and I drank a LOT that day to forget the cat AND the superbowl.. Cool
OK, so I like to ramble..At least my mom had a Rambler..  Tongue
I may catch a lot of heat for this, but Boomer would be like any Dalton today. And running backs like icky woods are a dinosaur
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think Davante Adams ends being nowhere close to living up to his contract and instead it serves as a reality check for these WR contracts.

It’s borderline impossible to live up to that, especially with Carr at QB. From a fantasy football perspective he goes from overall WR1 to WR8 territory. Still good but not 30m/year good.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 11:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I may catch a lot of heat for this, but Boomer would be like any Dalton today. And running backs like icky woods are a dinosaur

Icky
6’ 230
40 - 4.54
10 yd split -1.65
20 yard split- 2.63
20 yd shuttle - 4.38
Vert - 31.5
Broad - 116
Bench -14

Henry
6’2 247
40 - 4.54
10 yd split -1.6
20 yard split- 2.67
20 yd shuttle - 4.38
Vert - 37
Broad - 130
Bench -22

I’m too young to have watched Icky (I was 5 when he retired, due to Injuries). But… compared to one of the best in the game, i wouldn’t
Discount the chance there could be a role in todays NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 11:47 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Icky
6’ 230
40 - 4.54
10 yd split -1.65
20 yard split- 2.63
20 yd shuttle - 4.38
Vert - 31.5
Broad - 116
Bench -14

Henry
6’2 247
40 - 4.54
10 yd split -1.6
20 yard split- 2.67
20 yd shuttle - 4.38
Vert - 37
Broad - 130
Bench -22

I’m too young to have watched Icky (I was 5 when he retired, due to Injuries).  But… compared to one of the best in the game, i wouldn’t
Discount the chance there could be a role in todays NFL.
Yet Titans lost to Bengals
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote