Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Term Strategy
(03-18-2022, 11:30 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I disagree. We kept Carson Chad and TJ. I think we’ll keep all 3 and let some of the D talent go.

TJ had just 1,700 yards his first 4 seasons combined and they were able to sign him to a 4yr/$13m deal before he started stacking up real numbers.

It's not an even slightly applicable comparison to currently.

(For anyone wondering about cap increase from then to now, $3.25m/yr in 2005 would be ~$7.9m/yr in 2022. Still extremely cheap. Does anyone honestly think they're going to be able to sign Higgins to that?)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I can't see Chase and Burrow ever disconnecting from each other unless:
1) we won a ring
2) one got injured and wasn't the same
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:29 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: You can’t really compre qb to qb without comparing overall team. Brady is the best QB of all time, I would expect the best QB of all time to win despite the wr talent.

But if we can get Joe Burrow amazing weapons, why not? And if the weapons are so good, you don’t need as good as a defense.

It’s all about how you want to make your team. The nfl is about parody. There’s a salary cap and floor. All teams get 7 draft picks. All teams have to let go of talent because of the cap. We can make the offense so damn good, elite, that well be almost impossible to beat 2 out of 3 times. Sure, any given Sunday. But I believe you need to have an elite unit to win a SB. Either O or D. So let’s make it an elite O.

We didn’t win the SB this year. Why? We had a really good O and really good D. Neither were elite. With an improved o line, we can be that. And let’s keep adding to the WR talent.

Parity: the state or condition of being equal, especially regarding status or pay.

Parody: an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In an era of $40M QBs it's just a matter of time before the NFL gives the QB a red(no hit) jersey. I would like to think I'm exaggerating, but I'm really not. IMO we are going into an era where we see how valuable coaches/GMs are. There are many ways to build a roster and teams who aren't paying 30M to a QB will be creative about where they are spending that money.

My 2 cents: If you don't have a top 5 QB, you shouldn't be spending more 10M at that position. That other 30M will go a long way. Teams should move to 3-4 defenses since LBs are cheaper than traditional DEs. Teams should have tweeners: DE/LB, LB/S, and S/CB, that allow more defensive flexibility. Bring possible QB pressure from every position except outside corner. Defensive playcalling should move from MLB (Singletary) to Safety (Weddle). On offense, balance can help offset superstardom. RBs don't need to be 3 down players, but they cannot be one-trick ponies either. RBs, FBs, and TEs need to do at least two of running, catching, and blocking.

RBs are now underrated and underpaid. There were 19 WRs at the combine who ran faster than 4.5. And there were 14 RBs who also ran that fast. They aren't all great route-runners, but I know they break more tackles. And I know they are (usually) better blockers. Teams are still scoring 40% of their TDs running the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:30 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I disagree. We kept Carson Chad and TJ. I think we’ll keep all 3 and let some of the D talent go.

In this division, with these QBs, we need a great defense and the ability to get pressure. I suspect that we will draft starting WR and RB (especially) in the years to come so that we can afford what we will need to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:21 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Yet Titans lost to Bengals

and our backup LB Craig Johnson stuffed D henry on goal line
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 07:21 PM)maclanta Wrote: In this division, with these QBs, we need a great defense and the ability to get pressure. I suspect that we will draft starting WR and RB (especially) in the years to come so that we can afford what we will need to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love seeing these prioritize positions posts.... this is how you stay in the hunt for a ring every year.

Reply/Quote