Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longmont valedictorian silenced over speech disclosing he was gay
(05-31-2015, 12:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:   Everyone acts like we should throw them a parade for announcing they are part of a fringe group.   

We don't need to...They throw their own parades. Ninja
(05-31-2015, 12:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Failed?

He probably inspired MORE gay kids to come out...maybe even in their speeches...than if they would have just let him say it and continue with the sppech.

Lol yeah cause that's what we need more high achievement people choosing a lifestyle where they cant have kids.   Let's just let the low achievement group populate ....  Idiocracy coming to life.  
(05-31-2015, 12:56 PM)URICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: We don't need to...They throw their own parades. Ninja

Nicely done mate lol 
(05-31-2015, 01:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol yeah cause that's what we need more high achievement people choosing a lifestyle where they cant have kids.   Let's just let the low achievement group populate ....  Idiocracy coming to life.  

I don't really think they are "choosing" that lifestyle.  I forgot what your answer was, but when did you choose the strait life?
(05-31-2015, 12:51 PM)Ifredtoast Wrote: The people claiming that a valedictorian speech is never about the valedictorian's personal journey have obviously never attended a graduation ceremony.

Clearly a lot of GED guys here.

So how is any valedoctorians sex life relevant to their graduation speech? 
(05-31-2015, 01:03 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I don't really think they are "choosing" that lifestyle.  I forgot what your answer was, but when did you choose the strait life?

I had no need to venture beyond women.   I had success with them lol. 

I wonder if gays turn to dudes after they get shut down enough times.   Maybe hormones get going and they don't know where to put them.       and other dudes who get rejected start leaning on each other.   
(05-31-2015, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If it wasn't a big deal then he would not have been banned from speaking about it.

Was he banned or told it wasn't appropriate? 
(05-31-2015, 12:46 PM)DDDMeDSStLucieBengal Wrote: How is you being gay relevant to the graduating class?   With a prayer or thanking God at least the significant majority of the class can relate.   Plus as a leader you taking the conversation off you and PF putting it back on the class.  

Side note:  I don't understand why "coming out" is a thing.   Your gay who cares.   I don't come out about liking women.   Everyone acts like we should throw them a parade for announcing they are part of a fringe group.   

Methinks you're confusing valedictorian with class president. 

So as long as the speech is relatable it's ok? 

The notion behind 'coming out' is the virtues it exhibits. The audacity this school had to silence this kid speaks volumes about why it's important for people to come out. 
In addressing the actual topic of the thread, I will say it probably wasn't the best place to "come out".  As others have stated it's not just about "you", the commencement speech is for everyone. However that being said it could've been handled better by the principle and staff.

In fact I think it would've been better if people already knew he was openly gay, and then proceeded to give a great speech as their valedictorian without any reference to his sexual orientation.  I think that would've been more powerful for him and his classmates.

Could've been handled better by staff though.
(05-31-2015, 01:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I had no need to venture beyond women.   I had success with them lol. 

I wonder if gays turn to dudes after they get shut down enough times.   Maybe hormones get going and they don't know where to put them.       and other dudes who get rejected start leaning on each other.   

So you don't recall ever having to make a conscientious decision about it?  No worries, I didn't either, I just have always liked women since I can remember.

And the gays that I've known say the same thing.  Although most of them I've talked to feel tremendous guilt once they realize how different they are.
(05-31-2015, 01:20 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: So you don't recall ever having to make a conscientious decision about it?  No worries, I didn't either, I just have always liked women since I can remember.

And the gays that I've known say the same thing.  Although most of them I've talked to feel tremendous guilt once they realize how different they are.

Gays I have known and that I have actually discussed this topic with....  All of them had little to no success with women.   That's why I wonder if lack of success is a contributing factor to being gay.  Maybe all these guys just need that slump buster girl lol
If the kid had thoughts of incest would it be appropriate in a Valedictorian (Farewell) speech?

I also feel it would have been inappropriate to expound on his religious beliefs in the speech.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-31-2015, 01:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Gays I have known and that I have actually discussed this topic with....  All of them had little to no success with women.   That's why I wonder if lack of success is a contributing factor to being gay.  Maybe all these guys just need that slump buster girl lol

I think you may be misrepresenting your friends.  Because gays as far as I know, do not become gay because they couldn't make it with girls.  I know many that would consider you ridiculous for considering the notion.
(05-31-2015, 01:38 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I think you may be misrepresenting your friends.  Because gays as far as I know, do not become gay because they couldn't make it with girls.  I know many that would consider you ridiculous for considering the notion.

And more than a little offended.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-31-2015, 01:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: And more than a little offended.

Very true.
(05-31-2015, 01:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol yeah cause that's what we need more high achievement people choosing a lifestyle where they cant have kids.   Let's just let the low achievement group populate ....  Idiocracy coming to life.  

Yes...if they are smart and have bright ideas they might as well be morons if they don't reproduce!

Brilliant!

You should start a farm for breeding the smart people...the "right kind" of people!

None of those "savages" though...

[Image: thats-not-racist.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-31-2015, 01:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If the kid had thoughts of incest would it be appropriate in a Valedictorian (Farewell) speech?

I also feel it would have been inappropriate to expound on his religious beliefs in the speech.

Is incest legal?

Would he be supporting it?

If he wanted to speak out against it or open up about his own ordeal and how he worked through to succeed...would that be ok?
(05-31-2015, 01:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Gays I have known and that I have actually discussed this topic with....  All of them had little to no success with women.   That's why I wonder if lack of success is a contributing factor to being gay.  Maybe all these guys just need that slump buster girl lol

You're one of those guys at the bar who thinks he can make a lesbian switch aren't you?

Rolleyes
(05-31-2015, 01:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: Is incest legal?

Would he be supporting it?

If he wanted to speak out against it or open up about his own ordeal and how he worked through to succeed...would that be ok?

"Answered" 1 question with 3 questions.

1. Depends on the state (but we are talking feeling here as opposed to actions)

2. Who knows and I'm not sure of the relevance of the question

3. No, because the speech should not be about the speaker.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-31-2015, 02:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: "Answered" 1 question with 3 questions.

1. Depends on the state (but we are talking feeling here as opposed to actions)

2. Who knows and I'm not sure of the relevance of the question

3. No, because the speech should not be about the speaker.

Why are we even comparing homosexuality with incest?  It's a weak argument.  I can't think of a single group of people promoting incest.