Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking ahead to 2017 draft
(10-10-2016, 04:25 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: The main determining factor in comp picks is average annual salary. At $8 mil/yr Marvin had only the 10th highest average. Usually the top 4-6 end up with 3rd rounders so Marvin more than likely will get us a 4th. 

That's part of it.  Playing time and performance also factor into it.  If he keeps up at this pace, he'll get us a 3rd.  He's on pace for 1500 yards and 10 TDs.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 10:03 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's part of it.  Playing time and performance also factor into it.  If he keeps up at this pace, he'll get us a 3rd.  He's on pace for 1500 yards and 10 TDs.

They are a small part of the equation according to past years comp picks. Even if he continues that pace it is highly unlikely he gets us a 3rd so don't get your hopes up...He probably won't continue at that pace anyway
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
please draft wes lunt this guy is a beast and will be a pro bowler in this league
Reply/Quote
So what if they sign a good RT and the Browns take a QB #1? If the 49ers are sitting at 2 and would rather have a QB, how much does it take to land Myles Garrett? If you're at 5 or 6 then you may be able to deal your 2nd and 3rd, but with a freak rusher being high demand it would likely take more. Even if they have to deal multiple picks, they have the comp picks and maybe the Marvin Jones one is a 3rd. Just a scenario to consider, though they could use help in multiple positions, if you give me a good RT and a DE with Garrett's ability I'm stoked about the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 02:54 PM)WrongVerb Wrote: Age 30 is ancient in football years and Dunlap gets there in a few years. Grabbing his replacement in 2017 insures a smooth transition going forward.

We don't need another huge LDE like literally every end on this team.  I see getting a pass rushing RDE who can dip those pads and come around the edge the most important need yet again.  It was the exact same things year with the only difference being we now need OT almost as bad. 
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of good DE's in this years draft and may be able to find a good one into the second round I think safety is a bigger need than we think we don't have a ball hawk in our secondary we have box safeties Williams is terrible in coverage almost looks lost out there most of the time and I don't expect Iloka to continue to play the way he has but we need a guy at the safety position that can make plays in coverage a guy like Malik hooker or even Jamal Adams would be the best fit for me
Reply/Quote
I feel like the higher we climb in the draft, the more we should consider collecting picks if we can't land Myles Garrett. I don't see an appreciable difference between the guys early on and the ones later on. It seems like the strength of this draft is the depth in the first few rounds, and maybe the Bengals can use that to their advantage and move down to a team that's wanting to jump up and take a QB possibly.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2016, 05:55 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I feel like the higher we climb in the draft, the more we should consider collecting picks if we can't land Myles Garrett. I don't see an appreciable difference between the guys early on and the ones later on. It seems like the strength of this draft is the depth in the first few rounds, and maybe the Bengals can use that to their advantage and move down to a team that's wanting to jump up and take a QB possibly.

Why are we jumping up to take a QB high? Andy isn't going anywhere.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We have to take an OL within the first 3 rounds of every draft. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Move back in the draft and pick up more draft picks.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 12:03 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Why are we jumping up to take a QB high? Andy isn't going anywhere.

I said that if a team desires a QB, the Bengals should be willing to trade and move down the board and collect picks. QB's are always overrated and the Bengals can use that to their advantage and get a bounty of picks while still getting value. 

I don't think Andy is headed anywhere, nor should he be. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 05:29 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I said that if a team desires a QB, the Bengals should be willing to trade and move down the board and collect picks. QB's are always overrated and the Bengals can use that to their advantage and get a bounty of picks while still getting value. 

I don't think Andy is headed anywhere, nor should he be. 

My bad. I misread it as the Bengals jumping up to nab a QB. There isn't a QB in this draft that I would move up for, let alone take in the 1st round.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 10:21 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: My bad. I misread it as the Bengals jumping up to nab a QB. There isn't a QB in this draft that I would move up for, let alone take in the 1st round.

I totally agree, but there's always someone who jumps up and comes out of nowhere and maybe the Bengals could take advantage. Possibly a Carson Wentz situation like last year. The Titans and Browns both came out of that with a ton of picks to use in the future and still got talented guys ( Conklin and Coleman ). 

We rarely trade down, though, so I'm guessing we should be prepared to stay at that spot. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 01:54 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I totally agree, but there's always someone who jumps up and comes out of nowhere and maybe the Bengals could take advantage. Possibly a Carson Wentz situation like last year. The Titans and Browns both came out of that with a ton of picks to use in the future and still got talented guys ( Conklin and Coleman ). 

We rarely trade down, though, so I'm guessing we should be prepared to stay at that spot. 

There's no way we're moving from where we are.

Browns, 49ers, and Bears ALL need a QB. Browns really like Mitch Trubisky, he fits Hue's offense. 49ers all depends on whether they think Kizer fits their team. DeShaun Watson is also a candidate who I've seen mocked anywhere from top 5 to the 2nd round. Bears need a QB, but they also have a pretty bad secondary and this is a good secondary class.

Jets don't need a pass rusher, nor do the Jaguars.

So Bengals could get either Garrett or Barnett. Garrett is the better overall player, but Barnett is REALLY good and would help this lack luster defensive line actually shine.

Also, we don't need more draft picks. We're going to get comp picks for Jones, Nelson, Sanu, and Smith. That's 4 right there, and we're going to get at least one 3rd rounder.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 06:49 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: There's no way we're moving from where we are.

Browns, 49ers, and Bears ALL need a QB. Browns really like Mitch Trubisky, he fits Hue's offense. 49ers all depends on whether they think Kizer fits their team. DeShaun Watson is also a candidate who I've seen mocked anywhere from top 5 to the 2nd round. Bears need a QB, but they also have a pretty bad secondary and this is a good secondary class.

Jets don't need a pass rusher, nor do the Jaguars.

So Bengals could get either Garrett or Barnett. Garrett is the better overall player, but Barnett is REALLY good and would help this lack luster defensive line actually shine.

Also, we don't need more draft picks. We're going to get comp picks for Jones, Nelson, Sanu, and Smith. That's 4 right there, and we're going to get at least one 3rd rounder.

I wasn't necessarily talking about this year, though I agree we'll have plenty of picks. It was more in reference towards the future. Usually there's one team who gets crazy and will mortgage off future picks to hop up. Garrett or Barnett would be great at our pick. There's just no pressure on the outside and without that, the secondary gets left out to dry from time to time. 

Also...Mitch Trubisky as a number one overall pick is absolutely terrifying. Who would've seen that coming a few months ago? I'm glad we don't have to draft a QB right now, because it seems like such a crap shoot. You just never really know about these guys.

All that said, talent is talent for right now, and with our record we could use all that we can get. Hopefully these last few weeks will be used to get looks at who will be around next year.
Reply/Quote
Don't trade back, take advantage of the top 10 pick (maybe even top 5) and get a difference maker for our defensive front 7. One of the great things about drafting so high is that we get to draft at the top of the 2nd round of course which is damn near like having two first rounders.

Our first two picks should be LB then DL. A difference maker along side Burfict would be huge for our defense. then with the 2nd round pick get the best DT or DE on the board.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 07:53 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: It doesn't work quite that way. The initial process involves ranking players gained and players lost via FA. Highest paid players (average annual value) gained cancel out highest lost. We didn't sign any this offseason that i can think of (players cut don't count), so that part can be ignored. A team can have a maximum of 4 comp picks, and no more than one in the 3rd round. 

Then they are ranked against the rest of the league. Something like the highest paid 5% qualify for 3rd rounders. This means guys that get paid like Osweiler, Norman, etc will earn 3rd rounders. None of our players signed for more than about $8 mil/yr so that means a 3rd is far fetched. Playing time and postseason honors also factor in, but not nearly as much as pay and total players signed/lost. Sanu will be our 2nd highest pick at about $6.5mil/yr (not smith) because of the salary, then Reggie about $4.25 mil/yr, and Smith $3.5 mil/yr. Lamur would be next but that would put us over 4 picks. 

Edit:

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

here is a link, if you scroll down to the bengals they also have our players listed for rounds 4-7. They also have Gilberry who I forgot about, but he won't get us one either.

MARIVN JONES 5yr/40mil....AVG 8 Mil/year. Wouldn't that get us a 3rd?

[Image: sig.jpg]

[Image: monkeysridingdogsherdingsheep1.gif?w=1000]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 01:28 PM)TheWhoDeyKid Wrote: MARIVN JONES 5yr/40mil....AVG 8 Mil/year.  Wouldn't that get us a 3rd?

Highly unlikely, I believe about 10 players signed for higher average than him so that would put him in the 4th round more than likely 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 07:08 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I wasn't necessarily talking about this year, though I agree we'll have plenty of picks. It was more in reference towards the future. Usually there's one team who gets crazy and will mortgage off future picks to hop up. Garrett or Barnett would be great at our pick. There's just no pressure on the outside and without that, the secondary gets left out to dry from time to time. 

Also...Mitch Trubisky as a number one overall pick is absolutely terrifying. Who would've seen that coming a few months ago? I'm glad we don't have to draft a QB right now, because it seems like such a crap shoot. You just never really know about these guys.

All that said, talent is talent for right now, and with our record we could use all that we can get. Hopefully these last few weeks will be used to get looks at who will be around next year.

Ah I got ya.

I completely agree. If you have no pass rush then your secondary will get torn apart. I saw numerous times even this past week where they would double team Atkins and Dunlap. We have no other pass rushers besides that.

I always liked Tribusky in all honesty, but certainly not as a #1 overall pick. I didn't even view him as a 1st rounder. Still view him as an early 2nd rounder.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 01:28 PM)TheWhoDeyKid Wrote: MARIVN JONES 5yr/40mil....AVG 8 Mil/year.  Wouldn't that get us a 3rd?

You sure would think so but he was a 5th round pick.

Great avatar and sig BTW broth, breathtaking. :andy:
Reply/Quote