Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking ahead to 2017 draft
(08-03-2016, 12:48 AM)J24 Wrote: As it stands today
1.) A defensive End to replace MJ- I do not believe in either Hunt or Clarke right now
2.) A deep threat at WR- I think Lafell will be good this season but he is 30 so drafting a replacement should be a priority.
3.)A Defensive End to replace Gilberry - at this point Hardison and Williams have shown nothing in the regular season to show they are capable of handling the nickle DT role.
4.)Speed Rusher - we don't have a guy on the roster who can just fly at end and get to the QB. 
5.)Corner/Safety/Nickleback/Lb- I actually have the perfect guy in mind Kevin King from Washington 6-3 guy who can play in the slot.

You left out replacing the worst starter on the team - Center.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 07:53 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: It doesn't work quite that way. The initial process involves ranking players gained and players lost via FA. Highest paid players (average annual value) gained cancel out highest lost. We didn't sign any this offseason that i can think of (players cut don't count), so that part can be ignored. A team can have a maximum of 4 comp picks, and no more than one in the 3rd round. 

Then they are ranked against the rest of the league. Something like the highest paid 5% qualify for 3rd rounders. This means guys that get paid like Osweiler, Norman, etc will earn 3rd rounders. None of our players signed for more than about $8 mil/yr so that means a 3rd is far fetched. Playing time and postseason honors also factor in, but not nearly as much as pay and total players signed/lost. Sanu will be our 2nd highest pick at about $6.5mil/yr (not smith) because of the salary, then Reggie about $4.25 mil/yr, and Smith $3.5 mil/yr. Lamur would be next but that would put us over 4 picks. 

Edit:

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

here is a link, if you scroll down to the bengals they also have our players listed for rounds 4-7. They also have Gilberry who I forgot about, but he won't get us one either.
I see us getting 2 or 3 4th round picks and the other rounds by round 6.

You covered this well. My one question is I thought if over 4 players net, you can add 2 players together in the formula. So, a Lemur could be added to Sanu for example. We lost: Sanu, Nelson, Smith, Gilberry, Jones and Lemur (6 players) at least
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I don't think we will need 10-11 picks if, with comps, that's what we end up with.

We should try to target and trade up if we like a player. Or, trade for future picks.

Was looking a one trade last year where a team improved themselves a round the following year.

Here that is...

Jets receive:
» 2016 fifth-round pick (No. 158): ended up picking OT Brandon Shell

Redskins receive:
» 2017 fourth-round pick
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 12:00 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I don't think we will need 10-11 picks if, with comps, that's what we end up with.

We should try to target and trade up if we like a player.  Or, trade for future picks.

Was looking a one trade last year where a team improved themselves a round the following year.

Here that is...

Jets receive:
» 2016 fifth-round pick (No. 158): ended up picking OT Brandon Shell

Redskins receive:
» 2017 fourth-round pick

The Bengals will more than likely stay where they're at in the draft. If this draft looks loaded, then you can pretty much forget about any trades. We'll bring in 10-11 draft picks and have them fight their way onto the roster.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Assuming that Boyd and LaFell eventually integrate into the offense with some success, I'm building the trenches in this draft. I'd wouldn't be at all opposed to grabbing a center or guard in round 1 if Zeitler leaves, which I think he will. After that I'm getting and end or two and a d-tackle.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 11:44 PM)samhain Wrote: Assuming that Boyd and LaFell eventually integrate into the offense with some success, I'm building the trenches in this draft.  I'd wouldn't be at all opposed to grabbing a center or guard in round 1 if Zeitler leaves, which I think he will.  After that I'm getting and end or two and a d-tackle.

Things are starting to get interesting with the D-Line with Will Clarke and Hunt starting to play like they are NFL players.

That being said, I still think we need to add a pass rusher, although I would lean towards one of the tweener types.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 03:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Things are starting to get interesting with the D-Line with Will Clarke and Hunt starting to play like they are NFL players.

That being said, I still think we need to add a pass rusher, although I would lean towards one of the tweener types.

Me personally, I'd go for the current Bengals-type DE: Give me Derek Barnett (if he comes out); guy is good against the run and fierce as a pass rusher, plus he has the size we like.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 02:04 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Me personally, I'd go for the current Bengals-type DE: Give me Derek Barnett (if he comes out); guy is good against the run and fierce as a pass rusher, plus he has the size we like.

He is actually too short to fit the Bengals prototype. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 09:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He is actually too short to fit the Bengals prototype. 

I've seen him anywhere from 6'2 1/2 to 6'5 (amazing how inconsistent these college players are measured), so you may be right on that.

Mind you, Dingleberry is 6'2 as well and only about 275ish and he was not too bad in our rotation for 3 years, so we'll see.

Wishful thinking at this point.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 10:48 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I've seen him anywhere from 6'2 1/2 to 6'5 (amazing how inconsistent these college players are measured), so you may be right on that.

Mind you, Dingleberry is 6'2 as well and only about 275ish and he was not too bad in our rotation for 3 years, so we'll see.

Wishful thinking at this point.

It seems like there just isn't that type of guy at the top of the draft this year. Most are smallerish guys, minus Myles Garrett who we have no chance of falling to the Bengals. 

The measurables of these guys is always so inconsistent in college. They fudge the numbers to I guess make it look like they're bigger or more athletic, but who knows really why. It all comes out in the wash at the combine. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 05:47 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: It seems like there just isn't that type of guy at the top of the draft this year. Most are smallerish guys, minus Myles Garrett who we have no chance of falling to the Bengals. 

I kind of agree with you.  Myles Garrett is the class of the draft. 

The depth in this class is in the secondary.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 05:47 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: It seems like there just isn't that type of guy at the top of the draft this year. Most are smallerish guys, minus Myles Garrett who we have no chance of falling to the Bengals. 

The measurables of these guys is always so inconsistent in college. They fudge the numbers to I guess make it look like they're bigger or more athletic, but who knows really why. It all comes out in the wash at the combine. 

Teams will fudge numbers in some cases just to get scouts to come to a game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Obviously everyone wants a center, but no one is good enuogh to warrant a 1st round pick.

I'd pay close attention to the play of Shawn Williams. He's been off to a very shaky start and looks like the weak link in the secondary. Would not be surprised if the Bengals take a good hard look at Malik Hooker. And of course Jabrill Peppers has gotten a ton of hype.

Tim Williams is someone I really like as well. Reminds me of Michael Johnson coming out of college. Might be better suited for a 3-4, but he's done very well with his hand in the ground and we also know that Guenther likes to put Johnson or Dunlap into coverage (for some odd, terrible reason).

There's not a long of defensive end talent this year. Seems pretty dry and no one really pops out, sadly. May be a year to look at a rotational player and see if Clarke or Hunt can actually be a starter in 2017.

And finally, depending on if Zeitler leaves or not, the Bengals may need an offensive guard. Again, no one really sticks out as amazing in this class either. But there are some solid players the Bengals could get.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
My opinion is contrary to popular belief, but Marvin likes 3-4 OLBs. Look at the players Marvin has used at SAM. Harrison and Lawson immediately come to mind. I think a guy like Tim Williams could play SAM on running downs and as a situational pass rush from RE in passing situations. I think the Bengals defense is missing that dominant RE that could put them over the top. I think there is probably more DE talent available in next year's draft if the Bengals stray from their typical height/weight prototype they prefer.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:02 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: My opinion is contrary to popular belief, but Marvin likes 3-4 OLBs. Look at the players Marvin has used at SAM. Harrison and Lawson immediately come to mind. I think a guy like Tim Williams could play SAM on running downs and as a situational pass rush from RE in passing situations. I think the Bengals defense is missing that dominant RE that could put them over the top. I think there is probably more DE talent available in next year's draft if the Bengals stray from their typical height/weight prototype they prefer.

Tim Williams is the only player I wouldn't mind that could also be a SAM player in a 3-4 defense. Mainly because I've seen him play with his hand in the ground as a 4-3 in some situations and he was still very good. Think he would be a very good player nonetheless.

However, there are other DEs I like in the draft. We need another guy to add pressure other than Dunlap. The benefit to Dunlap, however, is that he's still pretty young. He's 27 and won't turn 28 until late February.

But we may need another starter with MJ's play declining.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 06:29 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Tim Williams is the only player I wouldn't mind that could also be a SAM player in a 3-4 defense. Mainly because I've seen him play with his hand in the ground as a 4-3 in some situations and he was still very good. Think he would be a very good player nonetheless.

However, there are other DEs I like in the draft. We need another guy to add pressure other than Dunlap. The benefit to Dunlap, however, is that he's still pretty young. He's 27 and won't turn 28 until late February.

But we may need another starter with MJ's play declining.

I reiterate, Mr. Barnett from Tennessee, if he comes out. Taco Charlton would be another I'd look at.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 10:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I reiterate, Mr. Barnett from Tennessee, if he comes out. Taco Charlton would be another I'd look at.

I really like Barnett. I think he'd be better suited to stay another year and raise his draft stock even more. But he's still playing very well. But wouldn't be surprised if he stays a year to go higher than projected. He has the potential to be a top 10 pick.

Another guy who I think would be a huge steal: Devonte Fields. He's not getting as much love due to off the field concerns, but a mid round pick I'd definitely take a shot with him.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 10:21 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I really like Barnett. I think he'd be better suited to stay another year and raise his draft stock even more. But he's still playing very well. But wouldn't be surprised if he stays a year to go higher than projected. He has the potential to be a top 10 pick.

Another guy who I think would be a huge steal: Devonte Fields. He's not getting as much love due to off the field concerns, but a mid round pick I'd definitely take a shot with him.

Indeed! As I don't follow college as closely as I want to, I basically have TSX to go off of, but those are only seniors. 

Fields wouldn't hurt!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 08:17 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Comp picks won't all be that high, very likely we don't even get a 3rd (which you can only have one of I believe), might get a couple 4ths, but more likely I'd bet we get one in each of rounds 4-7

We will for sure get a 3 for Marvin Jones.  Big contract and so far has been a big producer.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 03:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We will for sure get a 3 for Marvin Jones.  Big contract and so far has been a big producer.

The main determining factor in comp picks is average annual salary. At $8 mil/yr Marvin had only the 10th highest average. Usually the top 4-6 end up with 3rd rounders so Marvin more than likely will get us a 4th. 
Reply/Quote