Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking for a tackle after round 2
(03-28-2021, 09:32 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: The guard I am very high on is Aaron Banks from ND. The kid is thick and light on his feet. He always seemed to be at the 2nd and 3rd level when watching him. He is just nasty as a run blocker and great at picking up stunts and blitzes in pass pro.

Yeah they got a good line the other guard Robert Hanisey is supposed to get drafted too along with the tackle Liam Eichenberg.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 09:32 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: The guard I am very high on is Aaron Banks from ND. The kid is thick and light on his feet. He always seemed to be at the 2nd and 3rd level when watching him. He is just nasty as a run blocker and great at picking up stunts and blitzes in pass pro.
I read some evaluations on this guy and he is described as  huge mean ass bulldozer....something we need
I think everyone is tired of getting pushed around by the AFC N teams.....That Monday NIght game where they took it to the Steelers was such a breath of fresh air to see and I want to see this team start building the trenches with these types of players. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 10:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Reiff already said he would play anywhere.  I actually like the idea of leaving Jonah at LT and starting Sewell at RT.  Remember the breakdown of the pass rushers in our division?  And a guy like Watt might struggle against a beast like Sewell....which would be just fine with me. 

Either way, an offensive line that has Sewell, Jonah, and Reiff is a nice start.  

I am still leaning toward taking Chase, and drafting the OT in Rd 2 and having him start at RG.  Guys like Carman and Leatherwood would be nice candidates.  

Me too I like keeping Jonah at tackle he’s heading into year 3 it dosen’t make sense to sacrifice his growth at the expense of a spot gap player. Sewell and Williams could be are bookend tackles of the future both on rookie contracts along with Burrow and Higgins.
Reply/Quote
Would the board rather have:

Chase/Waddle/Pitts then Leatherwood/Wyatt Davis/Eichenberg

Or Sewell then Elijah or Rondale Moore/Tooney or Marshall?
Reply/Quote
If we are talking Guards South Carolina's Sadarius Hutcherson is really getting overlooked.

Hutcherson is a 4 year starter and has played Right Guard, Left Guard, and Left Tackle. He is a big guy at 6'4 325 but is a really smooth mover. I think TDN lists him as a gap scheme mostly because he comes off the ball looking to bury people but I believe he moves well enough to play in a wide zone. 

I have a 4th round projection on him but the lack of good IOL could pull him into the 3rd.

Edit: This is just a highlight reel but shows the mentality he brings every snap.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 11:50 AM)AQIndianHill Wrote: Would the board rather have:

Chase/Waddle/Pitts then Leatherwood/Wyatt Davis/Eichenberg

Or Sewell then Elijah or Rondale Moore/Tooney or Marshall?

Moore is 5'7", not going to be a Bengal, and Toney is also a slot WR, but to answer your question I would rather have Chase and someone like Leatherwood or Eichenberg (who I bet is drafted in Rd 1).  Carmen is also an option Rd 2 behind Chase.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 01:55 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: If we don't go OT in Rd1 (Sewell/Slater), then I do not see much point in going OT later.

We need help at guard. And WR. And LB. And DE. And DT.

An OT pick has to either be good enough to bump Reiff or Williams inside (Rd 3 OT won't be), or be able to play guard AND be a clear upgrade on Spain/XSF (possible but doubtful for a Rd3 tackle, but not impossible). If he isn't, then he can't help protect Burrow this year.

I just think things are pretty clear.

Rd 1: OT good enough to immediately start at OT or OG (Sewell or Slater in trade down) or receiver (Chase, Pitts, or Smith/Waddle in trade down).

Rd2: WR if we go OT in Rd1, IOL is we go receiver in Rd 1, though I suppose an OT might be an option here (Leatherwood?) if they can play inside too.

If we trade down & get an extra pick, then we can deviate with one of the seconds (LB, DE, DT).
I'm in total agreement with your post here. And, I would love Leatherwood in the 2nd. He can play swing tackle and be a killer at G. Anytime the Tide needed a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 or goal they ran behind Leatherwood. I'd say move him inside to either Guard spot and he's an upgrade. Plus, he can move out to Tackle if one of the other guys gets hurt. 
What a coup it would be to get Sewell at #5 and then Leatherwood in the 2nd. You throw those rookies in at the Guard positions in year #1 and that line is so strong and upgraded it would be very exciting times to be a Bengals fan again! 
Who wouldn't be happy with a starting OL of: 

Williams       Sewell      Hopkins     Leatherwood     Reiff
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 02:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we take Sewell, Jonah should be moved to guard. That would help some.

Jonah won’t be moved to guard. Sewell will play guard
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 12:34 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I'm in total agreement with your post here. And, I would love Leatherwood in the 2nd. He can play swing tackle and be a killer at G. Anytime the Tide needed a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 or goal they ran behind Leatherwood. I'd say move him inside to either Guard spot and he's an upgrade. Plus, he can move out to Tackle if one of the other guys gets hurt. 
What a coup it would be to get Sewell at #5 and then Leatherwood in the 2nd. You throw those rookies in at the Guard positions in year #1 and that line is so strong and upgraded it would be very exciting times to be a Bengals fan again! 
Who wouldn't be happy with a starting OL of: 

Williams       Sewell      Hopkins     Leatherwood     Reiff

The reason why Leatherwood is even in the Bengals discussion for round two is the up and down year he had in 2020. He came into the year an expected Top 15 even Top 10 pick. He wasn’t even the best lineman on his own team (and yet still won the Outland Trophy).

It was hoped he could get some of that momentum back at the Senior Bowl but he didn’t play as well as he should have. That could work to the Bengals favor but he did lower his floor quite a bit. Had a nice pro day though.
Reply/Quote
If Bengals are wanting an OT who they can feel comfortable starting this year or beginning of next year, it's best to take within the first two rounds.
If the Bengals can still land an edge rusher in FA prior to draft, I'd be on board for two OL and one WR taken in first 3 rounds, DT in Rd 4 or 5.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 01:07 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: The reason why Leatherwood is even in the Bengals discussion for round two is the up and down year he had in 2020.  He came into the year an expected Top 15 even Top 10 pick.  He wasn’t even the best lineman on his own team (and yet still won the Outland Trophy).

It was hoped he could get some of that momentum back at the Senior Bowl but he didn’t play as well as he should have.  That could work to the Bengals favor but he did lower his floor quite a bit.  Had a nice pro day though.

Yep, Leatherwood was in discussions back in Sept of being a Top 15 pick with the expectation he'd grow into being a good LT.
He showed by the end of the college season he's probably not going to be a really good athletic LT type, but he should be a really good OG and likely a good power RT.
Given the Bengals could use a starter at OG and replacement for Reiff at RT after this year, Leatherwood could be a good fit.
First two rounds getting Sewell/Slater/Darrisaw in Rd 1 with Leatherwood in Rd 2 could be really nice from a protection standpoint.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
if Ross was given a pass for 3 yrs to develop, a "rookie", etc. why should we expect Sewell to be any differet or any other 1st rounder for that matter. MOre important, if Burrow doesn't learn to release the ball quickly, he will never get over the hump of mediocrity in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Tevin Jenkins Oklahoma State
Reply/Quote
I have a funny feeling we are going to see them take Chase, then trade back up into the first around pick 15 or so and grab Vera Tucker, who is a perfect fit in both position played and scheme strength for what they want to run.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 08:12 AM)samhain Wrote: I like Spencer Brown as a developmental player.  He probably isn't a day 1 NFL starter, but with Reiff on board you could give him a redshirt year.  You could probably even wait til the 3rd to get him.  He's a nasty player with great length.

Yeah, love this guy. Extremely athletic, crazy upside, perfect OT to learn behind Reiff.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 01:47 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Tevin Jenkins Oklahoma State

I personally love Jenkins but I have a very hard time imagining he gets to pick 38. Likely 1st rounder IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 08:12 AM)samhain Wrote: I like Spencer Brown as a developmental player.  He probably isn't a day 1 NFL starter, but with Reiff on board you could give him a redshirt year.  You could probably even wait til the 3rd to get him.  He's a nasty player with great length.

(03-28-2021, 02:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, love this guy. Extremely athletic, crazy upside, perfect OT to learn behind Reiff.

If the Bengals want Spencer Brown it they would have to take him at the top of the second round. I'm hearing the Steelers really like him.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 02:22 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: I personally love Jenkins but I have a very hard time imagining he gets to pick 38.  Likely 1st rounder IMO.

Its possible Teven Jenkins is the 3rd tackle off the board (or second guard depending on who drafts him). He has been rising fast lately. 

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 02:22 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: I personally love Jenkins but I have a very hard time imagining he gets to pick 38.  Likely 1st rounder IMO.

The draft is funny. Last year who would have thought Tee Higgins would have fell to.the Bengals 
There is always a player that falls to.the upper half of RD 2
You never know Jenkins could fall into.Cincys lap at 36
Reply/Quote
My thinking is that I do not want to leave upgrading Burrow's protection to chance. Thus, while I *might* prefer Chase + Leatherwood (or a trade up for the USC kid) to pickibg Sewell + 2nd round WR.......there is no guarantee the trade happens, or that your OL target is around in Rd 2. Then what?

Given time, I am confident Burrow will win us games given decent receivers. While a game breaker would be nice, they can be found late 1st/early 2nd frequently. And an upright Burrow may be pretty attractive to FA WRs going forward. A crippled Burrow won't be.

Take Sewell. And one more OL guy in Rd 2 or 3.
Reply/Quote