Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Vigil, Gilberry and Dennard will get more playing time
(11-09-2016, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is the truth...Vinny isn't just the best LB on the team because the rest suck (although that is part of it) but because he is playing very well this season.  

And what apparently is going over people's heads is that he is doing well because he is not playing middle linebacker. I like Vinney, he is a great part of this team. But, he is not a full time middle linebacker, he cannot hold up in that position. Every time injury has forced him to take that spot, he gets run over.... I'm not just making this up, look back on the games where Maualuga was out for extended periods and Vinney was in the middle. It wasn't pretty....
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2016, 10:22 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Nice analysis...you should try watching the games sometimes.

Like how PFF watches the games?  With an individual player focus on every snap?  I think he is 100% accurate
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 12:08 AM)Derrick Wrote: Because Mikey says, "I am paying for a first round CB so he plays, get it?"

Did you get that quote first hand?  Are you with the press?
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2016, 04:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Defensive-changes-stir/ffe8256a-25f5-47a3-bd48-8b4ddfd95254

Dennard over Shaw surprises me most.

Vigil seems to have skills Ray M lacks.

Gilberry mixed in with Michael Johnson and Clarke.

Thoughts?

Vigil and Dennard are fine, but I really don't want to see Gilberry back, he hasn't been good or effective for 2+ seasons and all he is going to do is take snaps from Clarke/Hunt who have both seemingly outplayed Peko/Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 08:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you on Shaw and Dingleberry, but Vigil deserves a shot.  They don't like Dawson's lack of discipline...they have had enough of that at LB.  Vigil could be a shot of energy.  What makes you say you were never big on Vigil?  The guy was a tackling machine in college.  He may not have looked like a HOF in the preseason, but I doubt even someone like a Ray Lewis did when he started as well.  Having him sit and never get game experience isn't a winning formula, either.  Ask Flowers, Dawson, and DiManche.

Vigil has coverage skills and he plays nicely in space.   And he chases plays down and makes a lot of tackles.  But from what I've seen he does not shed well and whiffs in the hole.  Does not seem to have the ability and/or the inclination to square up in the hole, break down and make the tackle.  He is the anti Maualuga.  Unfortunately Maualuga does not appear to be doing anything well.  When he's on his game he's a stud in the hole and can actually cover decently (not great).  But he appears to be so badly out of shape he can't do anything.

Dawson would be a nice option at the strong side.   They have barely given this guy a chance to show what he can do.  He may have had a couple of times where he had two consecutive snaps.   We seem to have a power struggle with an arrogant, undisciplined player and a rigid dogmatic head coach.

If the season goes down the drain they need to give him some sustained playing time so he can get a feel for the pro game.   He might not be a pro player, but it sure doesn't seem like they've even tried to see what they have.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 01:07 PM)3wt Wrote: Vigil has coverage skills and he plays nicely in space.   And he chases plays down and makes a lot of tackles.  But from what I've seen he does not shed well and whiffs in the hole.  Does not seem to have the ability and/or the inclination to square up in the hole, break down and make the tackle.  He is the anti Maualuga.  Unfortunately Maualuga does not appear to be doing anything well.  When he's on his game he's a stud in the hole and can actually cover decently (not great).  But he appears to be so badly out of shape he can't do anything.

Dawson would be a nice option at the strong side.   They have barely given this guy a chance to show what he can do.  He may have had a couple of times where he had two consecutive snaps.   We seem to have a power struggle with an arrogant, undisciplined player and a rigid dogmatic head coach.

If the season goes down the drain they need to give him some sustained playing time so he can get a feel for the pro game.   He might not be a pro player, but it sure doesn't seem like they've even tried to see what they have.

Dawson is on the PS, so a player would have to be cut to make room for him. I honestly don't see Dawson getting that chance unless an injury forces a LB to IR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2016, 04:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean honestly, that is one of the poorest written articles I have ever read.

"In his third season of playing sparingly since he was taken in the 2014 first round, Dennard is more than ready after first playing behind starters and then last Nov. 22 blowing out his shoulder to end his season. Barely had he got back this past training camp when he hurt his ankle, an injury Dennard says has been cleared up now for about a month and he’s poised."
I feel like I just had an aneurysm.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
IIRC, Jones played nickel corner while Leon and Newman were still starting on the outside. He moved outside when Terrance left, I believe. Maybe it's time to stock the outside spots with younger players and let Adam resume his role as a nickel corner. Unless of course, they really do want to cut him this offseason, which I find to be highly unlikely.
Reply/Quote
So Lewis stated that Guenther should not have made that statement, and the young guys still need to earn the snaps...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-Says-Not-So-Fast-To-Defensive-Changes/0bd02342-ee05-4186-b20f-3177142b2f64

Last week, defensive coordinator Paul Guenther told reporters that some changes could be coming after the bye.

“We have a lot of guys here who have been fixtures in our system for a long time,” said Guenther. “But it’s like I told them, it’s a production business. Even though you’ve been that kind of guy that’s been around here, if I think there is a younger player or somebody else that can do it better at this point, whether it be for 15 snaps, I have to look at that.”

Well, in the immortal words of ESPN’s Lee Corso, “Not so fast my friend.”

Here’s how Marvin Lewis responded on his weekly TV show when I asked him if he anticipated some of the younger players getting more snaps on defense.

“I don’t,” Marvin told me. “Paul shouldn’t have…you have to be careful doing that. We’re going to keep working and guys will earn opportunities as we go. But you’ve got to earn opportunities. We’re not going to just make a wholesale change and so forth. Our good players are expected to play good and I think that’s part of it. They have to play up to a certain level all the time. We have guys doing that on offense but we have to get the same throughout the football team in every area. And we have to continue to coach better – that’s part of the responsibility as well.”

In other words, some of the younger players might earn more snaps in the second half of the season. But the key to significant improvement on defense is for the core players to perform up to their capabilities.
Reply/Quote
Ill believe it when i see it. Gilberry will get the most playing time. He is a trusty veteran. Instead of Picman losing snaps I'm sure it will be the young guy shaw. Vigil will make a couple rookie mistakes and he will get yanked and the vets will be right back out there.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 08:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So Lewis stated that Guenther should not have made that statement, and the young guys still need to earn the snaps...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-Says-Not-So-Fast-To-Defensive-Changes/0bd02342-ee05-4186-b20f-3177142b2f64

Last week, defensive coordinator Paul Guenther told reporters that some changes could be coming after the bye.

“We have a lot of guys here who have been fixtures in our system for a long time,” said Guenther. “But it’s like I told them, it’s a production business. Even though you’ve been that kind of guy that’s been around here, if I think there is a younger player or somebody else that can do it better at this point, whether it be for 15 snaps, I have to look at that.”

Here’s how Marvin Lewis responded on his weekly TV show when I asked him if he anticipated some of the younger players getting more snaps on defense.

“I don’t,” Marvin told me. “Paul shouldn’t have…you have to be careful doing that. We’re going to keep working and guys will earn opportunities as we go. But you’ve got to earn opportunities. We’re not going to just make a wholesale change and so forth. Our good players are expected to play good and I think that’s part of it. They have to play up to a certain level all the time. We have guys doing that on offense but we have to get the same throughout the football team in every area. And we have to continue to coach better – that’s part of the responsibility as well.”

In other words, some of the younger players might earn more snaps in the second half of the season. But the key to significant improvement on defense is for the core players to perform up to their capabilities.

Hell yes! But the players have NOT been doing it! Get your head out of your arse and show some willingness to motivate (aka kick butts) these players. At least show solidarity with your DC for cryin' out loud!!! Sick
Reply/Quote
Dennard over Shaw? is this a joke.... Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 11:33 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Dennard over Shaw? is this a joke.... Mellow

this I don't understand.... why would you even put dennard in the slot, he sucks there.  Get dennard some snaps on the outside and leave shaw as the nickle corner. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 08:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So Lewis stated that Guenther should not have made that statement, and the young guys still need to earn the snaps...

What. A. Dumbass.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 08:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: What. A. Dumbass.

The message is clear to his players:  just be here longer, and you will keep playing...even if you suck!  I wonder if Burfict, at one time one of the best LBs in the NFL, would have ever gotten his shot at WILL if the injury (was it Thomas Howard?) didn't happen.  

I understand some of what Marvin is saying:  you have to earn the snaps in practice by showing the skills, understanding, and effort, but I can't help but wonder what he sees on many Sundays that he keeps going with the same people that are clearly not making a positive impact whatsoever.  
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 09:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The message is clear to his players:  just be here longer, and you will keep playing...even if you suck!  I wonder if Burfict, at one time one of the best LBs in the NFL, would have ever gotten his shot at WILL if the injury (was it Thomas Howard?) didn't happen.  

I understand some of what Marvin is saying:  you have to earn the snaps in practice by showing the skills, understanding, and effort, but I can't help but wonder what he sees on many Sundays that he keeps going with the same people that are clearly not making a positive impact whatsoever.  

He obviously sees younger players who are not yet as good as the struggling vets.....at any rate, hopefully Guenther's statement was enough to wake them up....
Reply/Quote

Reason number 43125 why Marvin needs to be fired at the end of the season. He's such a gutless coward.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 09:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I understand some of what Marvin is saying:  you have to earn the snaps in practice by showing the skills, understanding, and effort, but I can't help but wonder what he sees on many Sundays that he keeps going with the same people that are clearly not making a positive impact whatsoever.  

What have you seen that makes you think the guys on the bench are better?

If you give players reps without earning them then they have no reason to work hard in practice.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 08:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: What. A. Dumbass.

"Our good players are expected to play good, but if they don't, screw it.  We'll keep playin' em' anyway until our season is completely buried."
Reply/Quote

I think what Marvin is saying, is that we've got the offseason to get the younger guys the snaps and experience.  The guys that haven't been getting it done all year need more opportunities to return to form, which may be difficult for the older and/or out-of-shape players.  

On the bright side for the younger players, they should be able to start their offseason work in January.

Guenther will also get the opportunity to coach better by keeping his mouth shut next time as well.  Hilarious
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote