Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loss to Jets could be good for this team
I thought the Jets loss was a combination of Mike White playing absolutely lights out terrific and our Defensive Coordinator playing too soft of coverage and allowing too many easy underneath throws. My feeling is that the loss probably won't have much carry over against the Browns, not that I'm sure we're walking out with a win on Sunday.
Reply/Quote
This is an older article from 2017, but I thought the percentages were interesting and shows what 3 straight road games can do to a team.
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/10/13/16378372/49ers-washington-against-the-spread-history-three-straight-road-games-nfl-gambling
This is the gist....

Quote:The three-game road trip is a bit of a rarity in the NFL, and so I thought I would chat with our friends at Odds Shark about the tail end of this trip. Odds Shark has a huge database of gambling information, which can give us an idea of trends. I asked them about team performance in this kind of scenario, and they got back to me with straight up and against the spread numbers for the third game of a three-game road trip.

Over the last three years, the team in the third consecutive road game is 13-23 straight up and 11-23-2 against the spread. Over the last five years, they are 20-33 straight up, and 22-29-2 against the spread. Finally, over the last ten years, they are 35-69 straight up, and 46-55-3 against the spread. It’s also interesting to note that the over hit half the time over the last ten years, while the UNDER had the edge the past three and five years.
Reply/Quote
The Colts beating the Jets had me thinking our Jets L was more on our coaching than the players. Anyhow, Browns week!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 09:18 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The Colts beating the Jets had me thinking our Jets L was more on our coaching than the players. Anyhow, Browns week!

Players missed tackles and are as much to blame, it was a full team and coach effort on that loss. Watching the Colts win made me think that Lou better get it together for the Browns because they have alot more talent and will chew the defense up if they do the same thing
Reply/Quote
If we're going to do this every time the Jets lose this year; it's going to become quite a long and silly thread, There's a reason there hasn't been an undefeated team in 49 years and it's not because the 72 Dolphins were the best team ever...loses happens and often times to inferior teams
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 09:32 AM)GodFather Wrote: Players missed tackles and are as much to blame, it was a full team and coach effort on that loss. Watching the Colts win made me think that Lou better get it together for the Browns because they have alot more talent and will chew the defense up if they do the same thing

I'm always going to look at it as a whole team effort whether win or loss, but I just didn't see the Bengals coaches adapt enough during the game. But yes, missed tackles, the costly Burrow INT, etc are results of poor on field execution. My scale slightly leans toward the coaches over the players as being more accountable.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 09:32 AM)GodFather Wrote: Players missed tackles and are as much to blame, it was a full team and coach effort on that loss. Watching the Colts win made me think that Lou better get it together for the Browns because they have alot more talent and will chew the defense up if they do the same thing

Colts rung up close to 300 yds rushing? and we squeeked out under 100 vs Jets. WTF?
Running the ball is the Browns calling card and they do it better then anyone...
I hope Lou has the game plan ready. So far he has done great VS Bal and Pitt.
 I think the Jets felt just like Bengals last night ( they were flying high after beating a "good team" and now get smoked) 
Reply/Quote
B-fine has an excellent point - that good teams lose to really bad teams on a regular basis in the NFL

Having acknowledged that the coaching in the Jets game was horrendous. No one (including Greg Cosell) can figure out why Anarumo made no adjustments to what the Jets were doing. They just should not have had that kind of yardage against our personnel. Yes we did a poor job tackling, but we were set up to fail by the coaching staff.

And when you are struggling against a defensive front, doing the same thing over and over is stupid, stupid, stupid.

Just take the points (field goal) and adjust your plan.

I appreciate that Taylor acknowledged that we got out coached, out schemed and out played. I really do. But dude, the 2nd half should have been a much different story.

If not for Burrow, it would have been an even bigger embarrassment.

There's a time to play aggressively and a time to play and coach smart. Just don't understand why we did so little to try to adjust.
Reply/Quote
3 road games in a row take a toll. The numbers do not lie.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 09:18 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The Colts beating the Jets had me thinking our Jets L was more on our coaching than the players. Anyhow, Browns week!

Maybe, but Mike White did get injured in the 1st QTR against the Colts when it was tied at 7. Jets win if Mike White plays the whole game. (Am I serious or not with that statement? You decide.)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote