Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost another coach
(01-27-2016, 05:39 PM)gobobro Wrote: While I wasn't on board with it, there was a group of people voicing the opinion that our coaches were leaving for other teams like rats jumping from a sinking ship. That's a bit similar to the sucking because they can't keep coaches...

That thread was posted only a few days after the playoff loss. People weren't being rational at the time. Haven't seen anything like that since.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Great news for their punter.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Addition by subtraction!
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 01:12 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: e594306c218acc97_6.gif]

(01-27-2016, 02:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: Cool.....now maybe the Patriots will snag our "vaunted" o line coach since they canned their's.

Pretty please!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 04:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Yeah because moving on from their "vaunted" OL coach worked out so well for New England right?!?! AM I RIGHT!?!?

But seriously, that was a stupid firing. Belicheck and the GM need to take bigger heat for that than the OL coach. 
Without Solder all year, they haven't invested in any quality OL. The dude made  magic with patchwork pieces all year, then the biggest game roles around and the OC doesn't give him any help to block Von Miller....

Fire PA and hire him then...
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 07:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fire PA and hire him then...

Huh? Why are people bent on firing PA? 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 07:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Huh? Why are people bent on firing PA? 

I have never liked Paul Alexander and you know it RRL.

He has done some good but the dude has been here forever and i think we could use a change.

Also, for him to pick Bodine as his guy and us trade up for him says a lot to me and it should to you as well
since you know Center play much better than I. He could of picked a much better Center at that point in the
Draft. Hopefully we get a good one in this one but we probably won't because PA already has "his guy".
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 08:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have never liked Paul Alexander and you know it RRL.

He has done some good but the dude has been here forever and i think we could use a change.

Also, for him to pick Bodine as his guy and us trade up for him says a lot to me and it should to you as well
since you know Center play much better than I. He could of picked a much better Center at that point in the
Draft. Hopefully we get a good one in this one but we probably won't because PA already has "his guy".

How did losing Scarnecchia work for NE?

The hate he gets is comical. 
No QB in the NFL has been as well protected as ours the last 5 years. 

He missed on Bodine. So that should get him fired? Sheer lunacy. 
Reply/Quote
Curses.

If only Dalton's last play was a shovel pass rather than a screen pass Ninja
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 08:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: How did losing Scarnecchia work for NE?

The hate he gets is comical. 
No QB in the NFL has been as well protected as ours the last 5 years. 

He missed on Bodine. So that should get him fired? Sheer lunacy. 

With what he has at his disposal i would expect him to look atleast decent.

Honestly our run game was bad this year because PA's O-line could not open up holes.

We have some good run blockers as well in Smith, Whit, Boling and Zeitler.

I don't understand how you of all people don't give PA a touch of hate.

You know OL play.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 08:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With what he has at his disposal i would expect him to look atleast decent.

Honestly our run game was bad this year because PA's O-line could not open up holes.

You know OL play.

Zerk also hates Bodine with a fiery passion and Bodine was hand picked by PA. PA was so excited about the dude that we traded up (unheard of for Cincy) to get him. OL coaches have been fired for less than that. I don't feel like getting into a 3 page debate on this, but I think our pass pro was exposed a bit when Dalton went down. Sure, Macaroni often held on too long, but still. To go from a 20 sack pace to a 50+ sack pace with McCarron was pretty extreme. The run game was awful all year. 

Even if PA isn't as bad as some think, he certainly doesn't have a flawless resume like some think. Fwiw, last year was the only year since 2006 that we finished higher than 20th in yards per carry. With the talent we have at RB, there's no excuse for that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The Run game failures was on Hue.

He obviously took a different tone with the offense this year. I think we will run it better this year because we will actually build a rushing attack. Marvin will probably be with Zamp early on while he gets his feet wet and we will run the ball at least while marvin is active in the offensive game planning.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 09:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Even if PA isn't as bad as some think, he certainly doesn't have a flawless resume like some think. Fwiw, last year was the only year since 2006 that we finished higher than 20th in yards per carry. With the talent we have at RB, there's no excuse for that.

18th in 2012, 19th in 2009 (according to NFL.com), but point still well made regardless. Bengals have been in the top 1/2 of the league in YPC once in a decade. That's generally way in excess of enough of a reason to fire a coach.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 09:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Zerk also hates Bodine with a fiery passion and Bodine was hand picked by PA. PA was so excited about the dude that we traded up (unheard of for Cincy) to get him. OL coaches have been fired for less than that. I don't feel like getting into a 3 page debate on this, but I think our pass pro was exposed a bit when Dalton went down. Sure, Macaroni often held on too long, but still. To go from a 20 sack pace to a 50+ sack pace with McCarron was pretty extreme. The run game was awful all year. 

Even if PA isn't as bad as some think, he certainly doesn't have a flawless resume like some think. Fwiw, last year was the only year since 2006 that we finished higher than 20th in yards per carry. With the talent we have at RB, there's no excuse for that.

It was and I really suggest re-watching the games if you can. Every sack was either him holding the ball too long or failing to recognize the free rusher. 
I am not joking or exaggerating. There were maybe one or two sacks I'd put on the OL. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 08:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With what he has at his disposal i would expect him to look atleast decent.

You know OL play.

Because coaches aren't automatically scouts. 
Bengals ask their coaches to do more scouting than a lot of teams due to our smaller scouting departments. That's a Mike Brown personnel issue. Not a coaching issue. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 10:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 18th in 2012, 19th in 2009 (according to NFL.com), but point still well made regardless. Bengals have been in the top 1/2 of the league in YPC once in a decade. That's generally way in excess of enough of a reason to fire a coach.

According to pro football reference we were 20th in 2012 and 24th in 2009.

NFL.com mistakenly had the Bengals (4.06 ypc) tied with the Lion (4.13 ypc) and Dolphins (4.10 ypc) in 2012, and I assume they did something similar in their 2009 rankings. 

But yeah, we've generally struggled running the football for a decade now, despite 3 different RB coaches, 3 different OC's and countless RBs.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 11:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: According to pro football reference we were 20th in 2012 and 24th in 2009.

NFL.com mistakenly had the Bengals (4.06 ypc) tied with the Lion (4.13 ypc) and Dolphins (4.10 ypc) in 2012, and I assume they did something similar in their 2009 rankings. 

But yeah, we've generally struggled running the football for a decade now, despite 3 different RB coaches, 3 different OC's and countless RBs.

Ah, there you go. NFL.com only goes to the tenth, PFR goes to the hundredth. That'd cause the difference.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 09:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Zerk also hates Bodine with a fiery passion and Bodine was hand picked by PA. PA was so excited about the dude that we traded up (unheard of for Cincy) to get him. OL coaches have been fired for less than that. I don't feel like getting into a 3 page debate on this, but I think our pass pro was exposed a bit when Dalton went down. Sure, Macaroni often held on too long, but still. To go from a 20 sack pace to a 50+ sack pace with McCarron was pretty extreme. The run game was awful all year. 

Here's the thing.....he has done nothing that is worthy of a lifetime deal.  Scarnecchia? On Super Bowl winning staffs.....PA?  Part of the 2nd worst decade in all of professional sports.  It's a no brainer.....it's BEYOND time for a fresh approach.

I see some blaming Hue....they blamed Gruden....they blamed Brat.....we're even blaming a rookie backup now. When are we going to look at the white elephant in the room?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: Here's the thing.....he has done nothing that is worthy of a lifetime deal.  

But coaching the #1 pass protecting O-line over the last 8 years (according to PFF) should not get you fired.

Here is what smart NFL teams do.  Instead of just pointing fingers they actually look for the problem.  Last year we had a very good running game.  This year we had the same coaches, O-line, and healthier RBs, yet our run game struggled.  So if Alexander is to blame there might be grounds to fire him, but can any of you point to some direct evidence that Alexander was to blame.  it sounds tough to say "He is to blame because he is the coach", but that type of thinking has gotten alot of good coaches fired without actually fixing any problems.
Reply/Quote
Meh..coaches are like anyone else..The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I had that kind of mentality too as a young man. I'd leave, go somewhere else and find out just how crappy the next job could be. It gets old packing all your crap up, moving it and finding a new place to put it and with a bunch of kids it's even less fun. At 56 now I hate, no, I ***** hate moving my crap to the point that I really hate acquiring new crap out of the fear of having to either move it again or just losing it.
The coaches who stay in one place a long time usually feel the same I imagine..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote