Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lou Anarumo's Half Time Adjustments WORKED!
Oh yes. Props to Lou Anarumo!

The stat sheet only tells half the story: Jacksonville scored 13 points in the first half and 12 points in the second half but 7 of those second half points came in "garbage time" when the Bengals' defense was giving the Jaguar receivers more cushion than a sofa Anthony Munoz advertises at Furniture Fair.

What I want to emphasize is the third quarter. Lou Anarumo made some half time adjustments to the defensive line sets from four down linemen to three and linebacker sets from the standard three five yards deep to two five yards deep and one standing between the defensive tackle and defensive end -- and the Jaguars were shut out. Zero points. When was the last time the Bengals shut anyone out in the third quarter? Lou also put the safeties over the top in zone coverage while the cornerbacks went to man coverage -- yes, you can mix man and zone -- and Gardner Minshew had nowhere to throw along with increased pressure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:21 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes.  Props to Lou Anarumo!  

The stat sheet only tells half the story:  Jacksonville scored 13 points in the first half and 12 points in the second half but 7 of those second half points came in "garbage time" when the Bengals' defense was giving the Jaguar receivers more cushion than a sofa Anthony Munoz advertises at Furniture Fair.

What I want to emphasize is the third quarter.  Lou Anarumo made some half time adjustments to the defensive line sets from four down linemen to three and linebacker sets from the standard three five yards deep to two five yards deep and one standing between the defensive tackle and defensive end -- and the Jaguars were shut out.  Zero points.  When was the last time the Bengals shut anyone out in the third quarter?  Lou also put the safeties over the top in zone coverage while the cornerbacks went to man coverage -- yes, you can mix man and zone -- and Gardner Minshew had nowhere to throw along with increased pressure.

They should absolutely start with this defense against Baltimore.  More speed on the field.  
Reply/Quote
Good point. I would actually like to know when the last time bengals shutout a third quarter.
Reply/Quote
Bengals are top half of the league in scoring defense (16th). We are 12th in percentage of opponents drives that end in a score, and 15th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

Our pass efficiency defense is FIFTH in the league allowing opposing QBs only a 84.3 passer rating.

Our run defense is still horrid and overall our defense is not close to "good", but we are not a "joke" like some people are claiming.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They should absolutely start with this defense against Baltimore.  More speed on the field.  

Here's what I wrote on January 12 after the Titans defeated the Ravens in the playoffs:

+++

Last night in Baltimore the Tennessee Titans surprisingly defeated the heavily favored Baltimore Ravens while limiting Lamar Jackson’s impact on the outcome of the game. I watched this game carefully and the scheme Titans’ defensive coordinator Dean Pees concocted to stop Lamar Jackson wasn’t obvious at first but after about three offensive Baltimore possessions I finally figured it out.

Most teams try to encircle Lamar Jackson with a combination of edge rush and a blitz which happen simultaneously with six defensive players. The Ravens can handle that by single teaming blocks on each rusher or blitzing linebacker while Lamar uses his speed and agility to escape to either run or throw.

Dean Pees came up with, as best as I can describe it, a “two wave” delayed second rush. At the snap, the Titans’ defensive line along with maybe one linebacker do their usual stunts, rushes, or in the case of the linebacker, a normal edge blitz. That’s four initial rushers instead of six, so the Ravens’ offensive line reacts by double teaming two rushers and/or blitzing linebackers.

Here’s the wrinkle: Two seconds later a second rush comes in composed of a linebacker or two or a linebacker and a cornerback. Now the Ravens’ linemen, already engaged with rushers or blitzers have to either break off their block and try to stop someone coming for Lamar Jackson in the second wave or just let them through. It was a Catch-22: No matter what the Baltimore offensive linemen did, Lamar was under pressure and took an unusual amount of sacks, threw inaccurately, ran sideways instead of his usual forward, or had to throw the ball away.

Did the “two wave” scheme totally stop Lamar and the Ravens? Of course not; they’re too good. What Dean Pees did was limit Jackson’s impact enough to sufficiently slow the Ravens’ offense to a manageable speed — especially on those failed attempts on fourth down where Jackson kept the ball.

+++

I'm not sure Lou Anarumo has the personnel to pull something like this off but it's a thought.  Kansas City stopped Baltimore last week doing much the same thing.
Reply/Quote
How about Jessie Bates! He's playing some of the best safety I've ever seen here in Cincinnati. His rookie year I tried to have someone come up with a sig where they added each QB he frustrated to a picture checking into the Bates Motel. Hopson stole my thunder in his quick hits article and called a section of it Bates Motel. I should've trademarked it.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:35 AM)bonesaw Wrote: How about Jessie Bates! He's playing some of the best safety I've ever seen here in Cincinnati. His rookie year I tried to have someone come up with a sig where they added each QB he frustrated to a picture checking into the Bates Motel. Hopson stole my thunder in his quick hits article and called a section of it Bates Motel. I should've trademarked it.

I was about to post the same! Bates was a game breaker yesterday. His tip on the first series got things going and he made some great tackles including an impressive TFL
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:39 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I was about to post the same! Bates was a game breaker yesterday. His tip on the first series got things going and he made some great tackles including an impressive TFL

He is a weird player to watch on tape because he is so good when he is on, but his "bad" can be really bad. You turn on the tape from the Browns game and he is missing tackles all over and generally looked bad, but outside of that, you see a dude who is flying around making plays. If he can limit his "bad games" to just being average you are looking at one of the top safeties in the league.
Reply/Quote
Wait what??????? So all last week he was garbage and Wade Phillips should come in and be our DC and now the players execute and Lou is ok again??
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: He is a weird player to watch on tape because he is so good when he is on, but his "bad" can be really bad. 

So he's the Andy Dalton of defensive backs?  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:51 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So he's the Andy Dalton of defensive backs?  Ninja

Oh boy, not touching this one with a 10ft pole.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals are top half of the league in scoring defense (16th).  We are 12th in percentage of opponents drives that end in a score, and 15th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

Our pass efficiency defense is FIFTH in the league allowing opposing QBs only a 84.3 passer rating.

Our run defense is still horrid and overall our defense is not close to "good", but we are not a "joke" like some people are claiming.

Other than Cleveland, the offenses we have played are crap. The secondary has played pretty well, especially since we have been down Waynes the whole year, Williams for most of it, and Alexander last week. Bates has been spectacular.

But we have little to zero pass rush & the LBs are still poor. Reader has been good but has little help. 

I fear we will be exposed next week. 
Reply/Quote

The stat sheet only tells half the story:  Jacksonville scored 13 points in the first half and 12 points in the second half but 7 of those second half points came in "garbage time" when the Bengals' defense was giving the Jaguar receivers more cushion than a sofa Anthony Munoz advertises at Furniture Fair.

What I want to emphasize is the third quarter.  Lou Anarumo made some half time adjustments to the defensive line sets from four down linemen to three and linebacker sets from the standard three five yards deep to two five yards deep and one standing between the defensive tackle and defensive end -- and the Jaguars were shut out.  Zero points.  When was the last time the Bengals shut anyone out in the third quarter?  Lou also put the safeties over the top in zone coverage while the cornerbacks went to man coverage -- yes, you can mix man and zone -- and Gardner Minshew had nowhere to throw along with increased pressure.

Coverage def picked up in the 3rd quarter. It looked like Minshew was confused as hell and simply had nowhere to throw the ball. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:35 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Here's what I wrote on January 12 after the Titans defeated the Ravens in the playoffs:

+++

Last night in Baltimore the Tennessee Titans surprisingly defeated the heavily favored Baltimore Ravens while limiting Lamar Jackson’s impact on the outcome of the game. I watched this game carefully and the scheme Titans’ defensive coordinator Dean Pees concocted to stop Lamar Jackson wasn’t obvious at first but after about three offensive Baltimore possessions I finally figured it out.

Most teams try to encircle Lamar Jackson with a combination of edge rush and a blitz which happen simultaneously with six defensive players. The Ravens can handle that by single teaming blocks on each rusher or blitzing linebacker while Lamar uses his speed and agility to escape to either run or throw.

Dean Pees came up with, as best as I can describe it, a “two wave” delayed second rush. At the snap, the Titans’ defensive line along with maybe one linebacker do their usual stunts, rushes, or in the case of the linebacker, a normal edge blitz. That’s four initial rushers instead of six, so the Ravens’ offensive line reacts by double teaming two rushers and/or blitzing linebackers.

Here’s the wrinkle: Two seconds later a second rush comes in composed of a linebacker or two or a linebacker and a cornerback. Now the Ravens’ linemen, already engaged with rushers or blitzers have to either break off their block and try to stop someone coming for Lamar Jackson in the second wave or just let them through. It was a Catch-22: No matter what the Baltimore offensive linemen did, Lamar was under pressure and took an unusual amount of sacks, threw inaccurately, ran sideways instead of his usual forward, or had to throw the ball away.

Did the “two wave” scheme totally stop Lamar and the Ravens? Of course not; they’re too good. What Dean Pees did was limit Jackson’s impact enough to sufficiently slow the Ravens’ offense to a manageable speed — especially on those failed attempts on fourth down where Jackson kept the ball.

+++

I'm not sure Lou Anarumo has the personnel to pull something like this off but it's a thought.  Kansas City stopped Baltimore last week doing much the same thing.

Good stuff, and although I don't see Anarumo as able to carry Pees' jock, there were a couple delayed blitzes from safeties and corners against Minshew.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: He is a weird player to watch on tape because he is so good when he is on, but his "bad" can be really bad. You turn on the tape from the Browns game and he is missing tackles all over and generally looked bad, but outside of that, you see a dude who is flying around making plays. If he can limit his "bad games" to just being average you are looking at one of the top safeties in the league.

To be fair Nick Chubb has been embarrassing alot of people hes averaging almost 6 yards a carry which is a crazy number. Also that Browns offensive line is very very good.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 12:30 PM)Synric Wrote: To be fair Nick Chubb has been embarrassing alot of people hes averaging almost 6 yards a carry which is a crazy number. Also that Browns offensive line is very very good.

Sure, but some of those tackle attempts were Dre Kirkpatrick like. I don't care if you are tackling Barry Sanders you got to make a better attempt then what he was giving that game. I literally wrote in my notes at one point "What the hell was that?" haha.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 11:12 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Other than Cleveland, the offenses we have played are crap. The secondary has played pretty well, especially since we have been down Waynes the whole year, Williams for most of it, and Alexander last week. Bates has been spectacular.

But we have little to zero pass rush & the LBs are still poor. Reader has been good but has little help. 

I fear we will be exposed next week. 

Me too.  Yes, I give Lou Anarumo props for yesterday but we need to remember this performance was against the Jaguars who are basically terrible.  Still, I believe this is significant because the Bengals have a long history of making terrible teams look great and yesterday they won a game they should win.  

Baltimore is a whole 'nother problem and I share your fear.  The Ravens are probably among the top three teams in the league right now and their offense is terrific if Lamar Jackson gets time to decide between running and throwing.  The key to beating Baltimore is simple:  Pressure.  Tennessee did that in the playoffs last year and Kansas City did the same last week.  Lamar Jackson is a gifted athlete but he's not good at all under pressure.  Even so, pressure is half the battle against Lamar; if he has a receiver open he has become deadly accurate.  Remember at first when all he could do was run and his passing was suspect?  Now he's a faster version of Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick.  The Bengals' secondary will either win the game by creating coverage sacks or lose the game by allowing too much cushion.
Reply/Quote

So, does this mean that the dinner party offer is back on?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:46 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Wait what??????? So all last week he was garbage and Wade Phillips should come in and be our DC and now the players execute and Lou is ok again??

It's always that way. When players execute it makes the coaches look good. When they don't, it makes them look bad. 

So, basically, it's usually the players that determine whether or not you have a good staff. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:46 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Wait what??????? So all last week he was garbage and Wade Phillips should come in and be our DC and now the players execute and Lou is ok again??

These fans are fickle as hell. 

We gave up 25 points and 429 yards of offense against one of the bottom offenses in the league. 

It was a good win and the defense played OK I guess, but I'm in no way ready to start praising this defense. I need to see more consistency and good games against quality opponents. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote