Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luck
I've been reading all over the place that the Bengals are a lucky team not good. That they got lucky the Buccaneers suddenly started to turnover the ball. That they got lucky that Stevenson fumbled. And of course, we got lucky that McPherson kicked all those field goals in last year's post-season.

Well to quote the great Roman philosopher Seneca- Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

They were "lucky" because those players worked their a**es off in practice learning the playbook, learning their techniques, learning where to be at any given time. The coaches worked their a**es off teaching these players and putting together a game plan. And as usual, were flexible enough to make some killer adjustments at halftime.

Those turnovers weren't gifts from the opposing team. They were taken by a greedy and determined defense.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:26 PM)pally Wrote: I've been reading all over the place that the Bengals are a lucky team not good. That they got lucky the Buccaneers suddenly started to turnover the ball. That they got lucky that Stevenson fumbled. And of course, we got lucky that McPherson kicked all those field goals in last year's post-season.

Well to quote the great Roman philosopher Seneca- Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

They were "lucky" because those players worked their a**es off in practice learning the playbook, learning their techniques, learning where to be at any given time. The coaches worked their a**es off teaching these players and putting together a game plan. And as usual, were flexible enough to make some killer adjustments at halftime.

Those turnovers weren't gifts from the opposing team. They were taken by a greedy and determined defense.

You make your own luck. If you put yourself in enough favorable situations, it’s bound to bounce your way more often than not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
some plays are cause of great skills. but some are also lucky some time. i like getting both
Reply/Quote
The Steelers have lived off of luck and a stingy defense for decades.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:26 PM)pally Wrote: I've been reading all over the place that the Bengals are a lucky team not good. That they got lucky the Buccaneers suddenly started to turnover the ball.  That they got lucky that Stevenson fumbled.  And of course, we got lucky that McPherson kicked all those field goals in last year's post-season.

They were "lucky" because those players worked their a**es off in practice learning the playbook, learning their techniques, learning where to be at any given time.  The coaches worked their a**es off teaching these players and putting together a game plan.  And as usual, were flexible enough to make some killer adjustments at halftime.

Those turnovers weren't gifts from the opposing team.  They were taken by a greedy and determined defense.

Well stated.  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:45 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The Steelers have lived off of luck and a stingy defense for decades.

Well that and friendly zebra crews.
Reply/Quote
We're lucky? That must be why every time a Dlineman gets a hand in the throwing lane, the ball pops up perfectly for a defender to come down with it.

The number of interceptions that Joe has thrown on batted passes are the epitome of unlucky.
Reply/Quote
I really haven't seen too many people saying the Bengals are lucky. Many have said they would be 15-1 if not for JB recovering from his appendectomy early in the year.

Anybody who says we're lucky is clueless. Brings to mind someone in this forum who kept saying last year was a fluke
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I mean we were lucky to hit rock bottom the year that Joe Burrow hit the draft... A year sooner, and we're dealing with Call of Duty Kyler.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:43 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: You make your own luck.  If you put yourself in enough favorable situations, it’s bound to bounce your way more often than not.

I see there's a fellow member of the Billy Zane fan club! 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 11:50 PM)jason Wrote: I mean we were lucky to hit rock bottom the year that Joe Burrow hit the draft... A year sooner, and we're dealing with Call of Duty Kyler.

A few years later and that QB class is looking absolutely brutal outside of Allen. Kyler, Jones, Haskins (RIP), Lock…

I’m definitely super glad we bottomed out when we did.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:45 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The Steelers have lived off of luck and a stingy defense for decades.

(01-01-2023, 11:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well that and friendly zebra crews.

Let’s not forget cheating, cheap shots and head hunting.

Reply/Quote
What about 3rd and 29? That play doesn’t happen then the fumble is meaningless. Why is the Bengals getting a fumble lucky but Chase fumbling wasn’t luck for the Pats?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:26 PM)pally Wrote: I've been reading all over the place that the Bengals are a lucky team not good. That they got lucky the Buccaneers suddenly started to turnover the ball.  That they got lucky that Stevenson fumbled.  And of course, we got lucky that McPherson kicked all those field goals in last year's post-season.

They were "lucky" because those players worked their a**es off in practice learning the playbook, learning their techniques, learning where to be at any given time.  The coaches worked their a**es off teaching these players and putting together a game plan.  And as usual, were flexible enough to make some killer adjustments at halftime.

Those turnovers weren't gifts from the opposing team.  They were taken by a greedy and determined defense.

I've not read  any article that says that, what publications are saying that
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 12:59 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I've not read  any article that says that, what publications are saying that

Pally was quoting the Seneca, the Roman Philosopher, as a rebuttal to what the article had written.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are as good as their record.

The Ravens? No clue how they have 10 wins. Their offense is a plodding, run-oriented offense where passing is painful.

The Steelers also somehow have 8 wins. They throw 2-3 yard passes.

When, we were 3-13 and 4-12 a lot, I think we overestimated what it took to be above average.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:26 PM)pally Wrote: I've been reading all over the place that the Bengals are a lucky team not good. That they got lucky the Buccaneers suddenly started to turnover the ball. That they got lucky that Stevenson fumbled. And of course, we got lucky that McPherson kicked all those field goals in last year's post-season.

If we beat the Bills tonight we will have reached the level of top tier teams. We aren’t a storied franchise. It’s a bigger hill to climb.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 12:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A few years later and that QB class is looking absolutely brutal outside of Allen. Kyler, Jones, Haskins (RIP), Lock…

I’m definitely super glad we bottomed out when we did.

At least Kyler is serviceable, I guess. He is head and shoulders above the other QBs outside of Allen. The rest of those guys, though...that's a tough class.
Reply/Quote
No team has ever won the Super Bowl without enjoying a little good fortune. So whatever.
Reply/Quote

What a lucky post pally! LOL
I'll take good luck over shit luck any day. The rest of em are just jealous they ain't got no good luck..  Who Dey
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote