Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAGA
(07-16-2019, 12:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I proudly call myself a hillbilly. But that's just me. LOL

I know a lot of proud rednecks too.

Smirk

Nonetheless I'm a white guy who has never been offended by this supposed "racism" directed at my color.  Maybe I'm just different?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-16-2019, 12:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is it? I've never seen hillbilly as a racial thing. I know some black hillbillies around my area and they will tell you that's what they are.

It is. I know some white people who will call themselves the n word. That's the problem with racism too many people use themselves as the standard
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-16-2019, 01:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know a lot of proud rednecks too.

Smirk

Nonetheless I'm a white guy who has never been offended by this supposed "racism" directed at my color.  Maybe I'm just different?

Well you do strike me as the type that wouldn't automatically jump to racism. I'm sure others see it in you as well

(07-16-2019, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is. I know some white people who will call themselves the n word. That's the problem with racism too many people use themselves as the standard

Most definitions I have seen have hillbilly just as country folk. Neither Webster's or the OED use race in their definition. That's the standard I tend to go by.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-16-2019, 01:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Most definitions I have seen have hillbilly just as country folk. Neither Webster's or the OED use race in their definition. That's the standard I tend to go by.

Too funny. You're now citing Webster's. Enjoy

(07-16-2019, 01:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Too funny. You're now citing Webster's. Enjoy

I looked it up after you said what you did to see if you were accurate. I tend to use authoritative resources on the English language when it comes to definitions of English words. Not sure why that is humorous.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-16-2019, 01:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I looked it up after you said what you did to see if you were accurate. I tend to use authoritative resources on the English language when it comes to definitions of English words. Not sure why that is humorous.

I'll share the "humor" (it's actually a bit of irony) with you later. I'm mobile right now

(07-16-2019, 01:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well you do strike me as the type that wouldn't automatically jump to racism. I'm sure others see it in you as well

Yep, I don't see white people as victims of racism and I am a white person.  Maybe because I try very hard to not be racist myself toward others.

Heck, I'm a male and and I don't have a problem with the "me too" movement or the recent "attacks" on "toxic masculinity".  Maybe because I treat women with respect as equals.

And I'm a Christian who doesn't play the oppression card every time someone wants to take down a cross or nativity scene.  Maybe because I am firm in my own beliefs vs having to force them into the public for everyone else.

Live and let live.

Thanks for the kind words.
(07-16-2019, 02:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yep, I don't see white people as victims of racism and I am a white person.  Maybe because I try very hard to not be racist myself toward others.

Heck, I'm a male and and I don't have a problem with the "me too" movement or the recent "attacks" on "toxic masculinity".  Maybe because I treat women with respect as equals.

And I'm a Christian who doesn't play the oppression card every time someone wants to take down a cross or nativity scene.  Maybe because I am firm in my own beliefs vs having to force them into the public for everyone else.

Live and let live.

So what you're saying is you are more understanding than you give other races/sex for being(aka superior). There's terms for that. Maybe we can cite Webster's

(07-16-2019, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So what you're saying is you are more understanding than you give other races/sex for being(aka superior). There's terms for that. Maybe we can cite Webster's

Certainly not superior to everyone.  Don't know where you would get that.  

I just don't look for racism in everything.  .

And I certainly don't look for racism against me or my color, religion or sex.  When you are in the majority you can take it a little better since there isn't much that can be done to you as a group.  I don't see white, male christians suffering anything other than some words from people who try to lump us all into a racist group when many of us are not.

But if I see racism against others I'll certainly point it out rather than try to find a way to defend it because of political reasons.
I'm still waiting for those stereotypes that reflect on White Americans of all classes...….. Because again, no matter what class, black and brown people aren't immune to ours.

The majority race has to be careful wanting so bad to experience the plight of the minority. But I think everyone should spend a day in black/brown face. It will open some eyes to the struggle (or adopt a black/brown kid and see their experience first hand).

That may be the only way they see it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(07-16-2019, 02:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: Certainly not superior to everyone.  Don't know where you would get that.  

I just don't look for racism in everything.  .

And I certainly don't look for racism against me or my color, religion or sex.  When you are in the majority you can take it a little better since there isn't much that can be done to you as a group.  I don't see white, male christians suffering anything other than some words from people who try to lump us all into a racist group when many of us are not.

But if I see racism against others I'll certainly point it out rather than try to find a way to defend it because of political reasons.

....and there's where I stopped

(07-16-2019, 02:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yep, I don't see white people as victims of racism and I am a white person.  Maybe because I try very hard to not be racist myself toward others.

These statements have nothing to do with another.  You never seeing a white person being the victim of racism is hardly clear evidence that such activity does not exist.  Also, you're trying hard not to be racist (I'll take your word for it) has absolutely zero effect on the racism expressed by others.

Quote:Heck, I'm a male and and I don't have a problem with the "me too" movement or the recent "attacks" on "toxic masculinity".  Maybe because I treat women with respect as equals.

You can have a problem with the generalizations made by some about the male gender when attacking "toxic masculinity" and still 100% support the metoo movement.  The problem starts when the generalizations start and you begin engaging in the exact behavior you're decrying in others.  You have provided us all with a perfect example of this and are apparently completely unaware of it.

Quote:And I'm a Christian who doesn't play the oppression card every time someone wants to take down a cross or nativity scene.  Maybe because I am firm in my own beliefs vs having to force them into the public for everyone else.

Live and let live.

Not really germane to the discussion, but good for you?
(07-16-2019, 02:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ....and there's where I stopped

Perhaps that's why you don't understand.

ThumbsUp

One doesn't have to look for it to recognize it.

But again some would rather defend it than recognize it.

A man on NPR this morning said DJT can't be racist because he married a foreigner and had a child with her.  Seriously.

As another guest said (paraphrasing) if we only say something is racist if very particular words are used (epithets) then we are using the absolute narrowest definition and people like Trump (throw in Tucker) can say completely racist things and people will defend it.

And here we are...
Ok, well I'm signing off. The offer remains. I'll be happy to take your well spoken, clean cut, educated stereotype shown in the pic of a black man referencing this "stereotype". If you guys want to take mine.....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(07-16-2019, 02:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: These statements have nothing to do with another.  You never seeing a white person being the victim of racism is hardly clear evidence that such activity does not exist.  Also, you're trying hard not to be racist (I'll take your word for it) has absolutely zero effect on the racism expressed by others.

You can have a problem with the generalizations made by some about the male gender when attacking "toxic masculinity" and still 100% support the metoo movement.  The problem starts when the generalizations start and you begin engaging in the exact behavior you're decrying in others.  You have provided us all with a perfect example of this and are apparently completely unaware of it.

Not really germane to the discussion, but good for you?

I never said "such activity does not exist". 

I guess not feeling like a victim but being willing to stand for those who are is frowned upon is some parts.

Not feeling attacked by being willing to stand up for those who are is frowned upon also.
(07-16-2019, 03:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: I never said "such activity does not exist". 

I guess not feeling like a victim but being willing to stand for those who are is frowned upon is some parts.

Not feeling attacked by being willing to stand up for those who are is frowned upon also.

Nah, it's more the mentality of "I can take it, they cannot" is what's frowned upon. By the very definition you consider yourself superior to those poor victims of other races. 

Why do you think a white person cannot consider him/herself a victim of racial slurs, but A person of color cannot? Is it your outlook that the superior white person should be able to shake it off? Because you've said a lot of racist stuff about white people in this forum. No one has to "play the victim" to easily identify that. Of course only the white mam can "play the victim"

Perhaps time for your racist meme. 

(07-16-2019, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, it's more the mentality of "I can take it, they cannot" is what's frowned upon. By the very definition you consider yourself superior to those poor victims of other races. 

Why do you think a white person cannot consider him/herself a victim of racial slurs, but A person of color cannot? Is it your outlook that the superior white person should be able to shake it off? Because you've said a lot of racist stuff about white people in this forum. No one has to "play the victim" to easily identify that. Of course only the white mam can "play the victim"

Perhaps time for your racist meme. 

Who said they "can't take it"?  I said such things don't make me feel attacked or a victim of racism but I'm willing to stand with others who do feel attacked.

I explained why as a white male I don't think we are victims of racism, but I get some people feel they are and like to use the race card anytime they can...especially  when discussing something racist said by a white male.  DOUBLE especially when it come to protecting Trump.

Are they false accusations of racism by some groups?  Of course.  There are no absolutes as my good friend in college would say.  Smirk

I think you are just looking for an accusation that isn't there.  That my saying something when I see racism is making the victim of the attack appear weak and in NEED of my saying something when I am just adding my voice to theirs.

If you came to aid of a fellow soldier who is being attacked verbally for their race would you be doing it because you think they are weak and can't handle themselves?  Does your helping make you "superior" to them?

I'd think not.

Does helping ANYONE make us "superior" to them?  I can't see how that would be possible unless one thinks that they and they alone can help.

Wait a minute...didn't someone say that?   Smirk
(07-16-2019, 03:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: I never said "such activity does not exist". 

(07-16-2019, 02:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yep, I don't see white people as victims of racism and I am a white person. 

Things that make you go, hmmmm.
(07-16-2019, 04:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: Who said they "can't take it"?  I said such things don't make me feel attacked or a victim of racism but I'm willing to stand with others who do feel attacked.

I explained why as a white male I don't think we are victims of racism, but I get some people feel they are and like to use the race card anytime they can...especially  when discussing something racist said by a white male.  DOUBLE especially when it come to protecting Trump.

Are they false accusations of racism by some groups?  Of course.  There are no absolutes as my good friend in college would say.  Smirk

I think you are just looking for an accusation that isn't there.  That my saying something when I see racism is making the victim of the attack appear weak and in NEED of my saying something when I am just adding my voice to theirs.

If you came to aid of a fellow soldier who is being attacked verbally for their race would you be doing it because you think they are weak and can't handle themselves?  Does your helping make you "superior" to them?

I'd think not.

Does helping ANYONE make us "superior" to them?  I can't see how that would be possible unless one thinks that they and they alone can help.

Wait a minute...didn't someone say that?   Smirk

Regardless of your mentality a white person can be a victim of racist comments, cartoons, memes, jokes....just like anyone else.A person "feeling the victim" knows no race.

You are just coming up with things to excuse your endless racist comments all the while shaking your fist at the racist. Maybe you should try standing up to you.

I'm all for helping someone in need. I'm just not willing to base need solely on race.