Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MJ Waived
(08-31-2021, 02:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Desperately need a 4th OT on that depth chart. Can't go into a game just 3 deep.

Jonah can't be relied upon to stay healthy and Reiff hasn't played a full season since 2015. Really don't want to see a game where Fred Johnson and either Carman or Mason Schreck are the two starting tackles.

Agreed, but there’s just not much out there right now. Carman in theory should be able to play tackle in an emergency considering he played there at a high level in college. The Bengals haven’t had a good versatile lineman since Boling who could kick out to tackle when needed and play well, or Whitworth who could play both guard/ tackle. Price could only play center and sucked at guard , Fred Johnson sucked at guard and so on. Or I hear this guy only plays LT , LG , RG. I get you can play one better but you need to be versatile in this league injuries are gonna happen.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 01:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, Jordan alone gave up 15 QB hits last year.  Mellow

Just to put that into perspective…

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Bit surprised by this. Lots will like this, MJ still just must not be able to stay low. Doesn't matter how big and strong you are
if you cannot stay low. Liked what I saw from D'Ante a lot though which is probably the guy that pushed MJ out.
Reply/Quote
Fans: MJ is a bum! Cut his ass!

Bengals: Say no more fam....

Fans: WTF? Why did you cut MJ?!?! We have no depth!

Bengals: *facepalm*

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It was the right move. MJ was always going to carry the stigma of being the guy who led to Burrow's knee injury.

I expect someone will claim him and see if they can fix him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
It needed doing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: OT - Jonah, Reiff, Johnson
C - Hopkins, Hill
OG - Spain, XSF, Smith, Carman

The only difference from the last year's line up is that Reiff replaced Hart. We are one injury away from Fred Johnson being a starting OT once again.

The backups at OG appear to be better.

The improvement will come from Pollack being the coach.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 11:43 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The only difference from the last year's line up is that Reiff replaced Hart. We are one injury away from Fred Johnson being a starting OT once again.

The backups at OG appear to be better.

The improvement will come from Pollack being the coach.

Yep, this team didn't do enough to address the OL.
They added one good vet OT and then drafted 3 guys, none of which are good enough to start yet.
I wanted the Bengals to take Cosmi over Carman, and Cosmi is starting at RT for WFT, doing well in the preseason.

With that said, I'm optimistic with the starting OL of Jonah-Spain-Hopkins-XSF-Reiff.
If there is an injury to any position though, it will be Fred Johnson or a rookie taking the spot.
It's understandable to be nervous about the depth, especially given that Carman hadn't shown enough yet to earn that starting spot Week 1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 11:43 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The only difference from the last year's line up is that Reiff replaced Hart. 

When did Williams, Spain, and Su'a-Filo play together last year?
Reply/Quote
Last years opening day lineup was Williams - MJ - Hopkins - XSF - Hart. XSF was hurt pretty quickly and Redmond came in at RG.

This years opening day lineup is Williams - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Reiff. So two different starters. The backups have been pretty completely overhauled as well with Hill, Smith and Carman all being new. So there is a lot of changeover on the OL to go with a coach who actually teaches and teaches sound blocking concepts.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 11:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep, this team didn't do enough to address the OL.
They added one good vet OT and then drafted 3 guys, none of which are good enough to start yet.
I wanted the Bengals to take Cosmi over Carman, and Cosmi is starting at RT for WFT, doing well in the preseason.

With that said, I'm optimistic with the starting OL of Jonah-Spain-Hopkins-XSF-Reiff.
If there is an injury to any position though, it will be Fred Johnson or a rookie taking the spot.
It's understandable to be nervous about the depth, especially given that Carman hadn't shown enough yet to earn that starting spot Week 1.

I think Carman takes XSF job relatively early in the season. Zimmer is going to run a ton of double A gap week 1 and I think that may play into why they went vet heavy to open the season. It puts a lot more pressure on the guards to perform than more traditional alignments. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When did Williams, Spain, and Su'a-Filo play together last year?

It's hard to play together when injured, but none-the-less those were the best at those positions last season.

If Carman steps up and becomes the starting RG half way through the season won't we consider him the starting and best RG after the year is over?

Reply/Quote
Jordan was claimed by the Panthers

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
He's still better than LeBron.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 03:51 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Fans: MJ is a bum! Cut his ass!

Bengals: Say no more fam....

Fans: WTF? Why did you cut MJ?!?! We have no depth!

Bengals: *facepalm*

Not me. I'm stoked any time the team trims fat.

I think the people who are upset are the forever hopeful types who always think a player is on the cusp of turning it around.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 01:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: Next year we'll lose XSF and Spain. Not sure I agree with selling youth for aged vets at the end of their career on 1 year contracts.

XSF didn't look that good in preseason. ZT is acting like Marvin with his vets being his security blanket. Not saying MJ should have started, but we had 2 more years left to develop him and now we have NO backups at guard come 2022. Looks like draft will be Oline heavy again.

We'll pass on another slam dunk draft pink and go cornerback. 

Writing has been on the wall for 2 years now.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 03:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Just to put that into perspective…

so what is your perspective.?. i assume how bad Jordan actually was since he played probably 1/2 snaps as Hart who actually graded out above par as a tackle when you consider snaps
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 08:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: so what is your perspective.?. i assume how bad Jordan actually was since he played probably 1/2 snaps as Hart who actually graded out above par as a tackle when you consider snaps

What in god’s name is your point? That Hart is better than Jordan? No shit.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not me. I'm stoked any time the team trims fat.

I think the people who are upset are the forever hopeful types who always think a player is on the cusp of turning it around.

Same here.....and you might have a point there ol buddy....but me thinks there are a few that like to gripe about every move too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:48 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: We'll pass on another slam dunk draft pink and go cornerback. 

Writing has been on the wall for 2 years now.

You know Tobin has the itch for a 1st round CB (The only defensive position they seem to be willing to take in the 1st - although we probably legit need to draft one in the first round of the 22 draft this time).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote