Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML: Tate was on the practice squad for a reason
(11-22-2018, 05:44 PM)N_B Wrote: This post is getting ignored, and it shouldn’t be

Mike M (the other one) Wrote: [url=http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-ML-Tate-was-on-the-practice-squad-for-a-reason?pid=635723#pid635723][/url]Hey... you should never say never.

Jim Caldwell was fired after four seasons as head coach of the Lions, accumulating a 36-28 regular season record with an 0-2 mark in the playoffs.

JIM CALDWELL WAS FIRED AFTER GOING 9-7 AND MISSING THE PLAYOFFS.  ALSO THE LIONS HAD HAD 2WINNING SEASONS IN THE PREVIOUS 3 INSTEAD OF ZERO IN 14

Titans parted ways with Mike Mularkey, who had produced winning seasons in each of his two full years at the helm in Tennessee and after he won a game in the Playoffs.

MULARKY COMES CLOSE, BUT TITANS HAD HAD WINNING RECORD THE YEAR BEFORE INSTEAD OF 14 YEARS AGO.  MAIN REASON MULARKY WAS REPLACED WAS DECLINE FROM MARIOTA.  CARSON WAS NOT DECLINING UNDER MARVIN IN '05.

Lovie Smith was fired by the Bears after a 10-6 season and an 81-63 record (with a Super Bowl appearance) in nine years.

SMITH WAS FIRED AFTER MISSING THE PLAYOFFS IN HIS NINTH SEASON INSTEAD OF AFTER MAKING THE PLAYOFFS AFTER HIS THIRD.  BEARS HAD MISSED THE PLAYOFFS 5 OF PREVIOS 6 YEARS.

Tony Dungy would become the first Buccaneer coach to be fired with a winning record.

DUNGY WAS FIRED AFTER HIS SIXTH SEASON NOT HIS THIRD, AND HISTORY SHOWS THAT THE BUCS MADE A HUGE MISTAKE BY FIRING DUNGY.  DUNGY WON JUST AS MANY SUPER BOWLS AS GRUDEN AND EVERYTHING ABOUT HIS RECORD WAS BETTER THAN GRUDENS.  HE HAD A BETTER RECORD WITH THE BUCS THAN GRUDEN DID, AND HE HAD A BETTER RECORD WITH THE COLTS THAN GRUDEN DID WITH THE BUCS.  AFTER GRUDEN WON THE SUPER BOWL WITH DUNGY'S PLAYERS HE HAD A LOSING RECORD WITH THE BUCS AND NEVER WON ANOTHER POST SEASON GAME.

Marty Schottenheimer, who holds the records for most wins without a Super Bowl, still couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

MARTY SCHOTTENHEIMER WAS NEVER FIRED ANYWHERE AFTER HIS THIRD SEASON.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2018, 06:13 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I seriously don’t get this throw shade stuff. I’m really curious where this

Telling everyone that Tate was on the practice squad was "throwing shade".

Apparently no one would have known if Marvin did not mention it.
Reply/Quote
Receivers running wrong routes - COACH BETTER or find other WR's who will run the right routes. It is not rocket science.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2018, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is what it all boils down to.

Neither Core nor Tate is a great WR.  They both have flaws and they have both made mistakes.   Overall Core has made a lot more catches in preseason and in regular season games.  His rookie preseason and regular season performance was superior to Tate, but none of us really consider him to be a great WR.  But for some reason a few people here have decided that Tate is much better than Core.  The coaches have seen both of these players perform much more than any of us have.  They made their decision based on a lot more knowledge than any of us have.  And if yoiu say Tate should be benched fro a drop you have to say that tate should also be benched for his drops.

Personally I don't see either of them being a regular player for us, but since the coaches have so much more information than any of us I am not going to criticize them for playing Core over Tate.  Most of the people here are basing their criticism on the fact that Core did not make the catch.  The coaches did not know that would happen at the time they made their decision.

2016 - Cody Core could be a gem!  We need to put him on the field and see what we've got!  He was the 199th pick, but that doesn't mean anything!
2018 - Holy crap, why did we ever put Cody Core on the field?!  YE GODS!!!!  He was the 199th pick for a reason!

2018 - Auden Tate could be a gem!  We need to put him on the field and see what we've got!  He was the 253rd pick, but that doesn't mean anything!
2020 - Auden Tate [to be determined]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2018, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is what it all boils down to.

Neither Core nor Tate is a great WR.  They both have flaws and they have both made mistakes.   Overall Core has made a lot more catches in preseason and in regular season games.  His rookie preseason and regular season performance was superior to Tate, but none of us really consider him to be a great WR.  But for some reason a few people here have decided that Tate is much better than Core.  The coaches have seen both of these players perform much more than any of us have.  They made their decision based on a lot more knowledge than any of us have.  And if yoiu say Tate should be benched fro a drop you have to say that tate should also be benched for his drops.

Personally I don't see either of them being a regular player for us, but since the coaches have so much more information than any of us I am not going to criticize them for playing Core over Tate.  Most of the people here are basing their criticism on the fact that Core did not make the catch.  The coaches did not know that would happen at the time they made their decision.

Tate had 3 catches for 66 yards and a TD in the preseason.
Core had 8 catches for 135 yards and 0 TDs in the preseason his rookie year.

These last 2 preseasons combined, Cody Core had 3 receptions for 29 yards.
Core has never scored a TD in preseason or the regular season.

People are criticizing Core because he's not a good receiver.
Then who gets blame for that play?
The offense called a play where it was 1 on 1. Dalton threw it to him where he could make a play.
Who should we blame for that drop or the crucial ones against the Steelers?

Also, saying "the coaches have seen more and know better than us" doesn't always work.
Look at Livings. Look at Bodine. Look at Mathis.
Coaches are going to miss on players.
And fans are critical of the Bengals because they continue to ride mediocrity.

Fun fact: Out of coaches that have won 50+ games, Marvin Lewis ranks 77th in win percentage.
77th out of 102.
So. Yeah. We're going to be critical. And have every right to be.

I mean, Joe Mixon has shown his disgust for the offense with his remarks.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 01:32 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Tate had 3 catches for 66 yards and a TD in the preseason.
Core had 8 catches for 135 yards and 0 TDs in the preseason his rookie year.

These last 2 preseasons combined, Cody Core had 3 receptions for 29 yards.
Core has never scored a TD in preseason or the regular season.

People are criticizing Core because he's not a good receiver.
Then who gets blame for that play?
The offense called a play where it was 1 on 1. Dalton threw it to him where he could make a play.
Who should we blame for that drop or the crucial ones against the Steelers?

Also, saying "the coaches have seen more and know better than us" doesn't always work.
Look at Livings. Look at Bodine. Look at Mathis.
Coaches are going to miss on players.
And fans are critical of the Bengals because they continue to ride mediocrity.

Fun fact: Out of coaches that have won 50+ games, Marvin Lewis ranks 77th in win percentage.
77th out of 102.
So. Yeah. We're going to be critical. And have every right to be.

I mean, Joe Mixon has shown his disgust for the offense with his remarks.

Winner
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2018, 03:35 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I dont really care about someone getting benched for that. But they at least should be consistent about it team wide. How many times this year has a defensive player been out of position, yet was never benched? Marvin even said after a game that the 'defensive players need to be in better positions that they were told to be in', basically which is the equivalent of running a route wrong. Yet I never heard of any getting benched for being in the wrong spot on certain coverages or covering the wrong lanes or whatnot.

I wouldn't say that hasn't happened.

For example, there have been plenty of times we have seen Shawn Williams screw up, next play Fedj is in the game and Williams is on the sideline. 

The major difference, in my mind, is that WR is a six man depth chart, so it is possible to dump a guy to the bottom for screw ups;   Where most defensive positions are only 2 deep... 
Reply/Quote
Hey look Marvin, New Orleans practice squad players not only ran the right routes but helped them win a game...moron..

When the Saints played the Eagles in Week 11, quarterback Drew Brees told the team’s younger receivers they had to step up because Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara were being doubled by the Philadelphia defense.

Rookie Tre'Quan Smith did exactly that, but hurt his foot and wound up inactive against the Falcons on Thursday. That meant Brees had to look elsewhere and, as with most things for the Saints this season, it turned out just fine.

Brees threw touchdown passes to Dan Arnold, Tommylee Lewis, Austin Carr and Keith Kirkwood. It was the first or second NFL touchdown catch for each player and the first time in the Super Bowl era that four undrafted players caught touchdowns for one team in the same game.

Kirkwood, who moved up from the practice squad a couple of weeks ago, said other undrafted players should take inspiration from Thursday’s results.

“To all those young guys that are out there who don’t get drafted, and who don’t get that call on draft day, just keep going. Keep pushing because your opportunity is going to come, and it’s [what] you do with it,” Kirkwood said, via ESPN.com. “Are you going to take advantage of it, or are you going to fold? You see a true testament to this organization, to this team of how undrafted players make a name for themselves here, so I think it definitely showed today.”

Brees has now thrown 29 touchdown passes to 13 different players this season. That ability to make plays with anyone who is on hand is a big reason why the Saints are 10-1 and Brees is an MVP favorite.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Man, that practice squad bum made some GREAT catches yesterday......jus' sayin'.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: Man, that practice squad bum made some GREAT catches yesterday......jus' sayin'.....

Yea he did some good things. Even the ball at the end he didn't quite get to wasn't bad needs to learn to fight off that hold or sell it better. I think he can be a nice piece, hopefully he continues to get more playing time going forward. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yea he did some good things. Even the ball at the end he didn't quite get to wasn't bad needs to learn to fight off that hold or sell it better. I think he can be a nice piece, hopefully he continues to get more playing time going forward. 

He almost made an honest to goodness circus catch on the one where he had to twist his body in mid air.  The one you refer to here should have been thrown to Boyd, he broke wide open over the middle.  I agree, he was interfered with, but he should have sold it better.  He's learning, and he needs the reps to show what he can do.  I liked what I saw.  He bailed Driskel out a couple of times....as did Boyd once.

Reply/Quote
I've never been big on Auden Tate, but he should be seeing more playing time than Cody freakin Core.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:25 AM)MentalRage Wrote: I've never been big on Auden Tate, but he should be seeing more playing time than Cody freakin Core.

......and that's the whole point here.  We hear continuously what a ST stud he is, and that's why we need to keep him.  What did he do on the first big return by Erickson?  That's right, he got a holding penalty.  SMH.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: Man, that practice squad bum made some GREAT catches yesterday......jus' sayin'.....

If he can get some snaps every game, I think he will figure it all out. Some need to give him slack due to being a rookie. And very few opportunities at that. I hope to see him a lot more so we can actually learn what he can do as he develops.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:32 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: If he can get some snaps every game, I think he will figure it all out. Some need to give him slack due to being a rookie. And very few opportunities at that. I hope to see him a lot more so we can actually learn what he can do as he develops.

I have no visions of grandeur that Auden Tate will be the next Randy Moss.  Having said that, he has the tools to be a poor man's Bouldin, or a TJ Houshmanzadeh type of player.  Play the kid while we need him, not Cody Core.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: I have no visions of grandeur that Auden Tate will be the next Randy Moss.  Having said that, he has the tools to be a poor man's Bouldin, or a TJ Houshmanzadeh type of player.  Play the kid while we need him, not Cody Core.

I think he can be Brandon Marshall. He isn't burning people, I know even less so with Tate, but he can make the circus and contested catches. I thought it when we snagged him in the 7th and feel the same today, he just needs more snaps. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think he can be Brandon Marshall. He isn't burning people, I know even less so with Tate, but he can make the circus and contested catches. I thought it when we snagged him in the 7th and feel the same today, he just needs more snaps. 

Never thought about that one.....but yes, I thought they made a good pick there.  We sure could have used him in Tallahassee this season....lol.

Reply/Quote
Tate made our back up qb look way better than he actually was. He played like someone that wants to be out there bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:55 AM)motoarch Wrote: Tate made our back up qb look way better than he actually was.  He played like someone that wants to be out there bad.

That's alright, AJ Green makes our starting QB look better than he is all the time.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:55 AM)motoarch Wrote: Tate made our back up qb look way better than he actually was.  He played like someone that wants to be out there bad.

He had 2 catches for 15 yards on 7 targets.

I do think he deserves more playing time. Just trying to put things in perspective.
Reply/Quote