Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ML on Bengals
(06-05-2019, 10:27 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Podcast

The Bengals gave him almost 20 years of loyalty and he says this? I'm not sure I understand why the lack of respect in this statement

Where is the lack of respect that you're alluding to?  Are you implying that because he's moving on with his life after getting fired, and that it's somehow disrespectful to not sit in front of the TV, agonizing over no longer being HC of the team??

Heck, if he did sit and agonize over the Bengals, I'd have to be concerned for his mental/emotional state of being.  His response seems perfectly healthy and normal, to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 10:36 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Respect goes both ways. Read the name calling of trashing by fans of ML in this forum. I don't blame him, I will also tell those fans to KMA. ML has moved on, yet fans still can't resist trashing him. Where is the loyalty and TY from the fans for helping turn this franchise around? You give zero respect, you get zero respect.

Respect goes both ways. Which means Marvin n Bengals organization. Not Marvin n Bengals fans. It doesn’t matter what we think. Remember
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 11:03 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Marvin put in 16 seasons as coach of this team, it would seem perfectly healthy for him to not watch the games closely this season.  What?  You thought he would sit in front of the TV, agonizing about not coaching them anymore??

I remember a scene from "Gumball Rally" where the Italian driver breaks off his rearview mirror and says "What's behind me doesn't matter." 

Marvin's behind me. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 10:27 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Quote:  I don’t think I’ll be watching the Bengals. The players there are near and dear to my heart but that’s it.

Marvin did say "I don't think I'll be watching the Bengals."  This leaves the door open slightly that he still could watch them to some degree.

He didn't say he would not watch them but that he doesn't think he will.

Then he eluded to what still attaches him to the team which is the players.

I don't think Marvin intended to send some big message of dislike for the Bengals but that he is moving on while still caring for the players.
Reply/Quote

The Bengals gave him almost 20 years of loyalty and he says this? I'm not sure I understand why the lack of respect in this statement
He ought to watch some team , maybe he will learn how to game plan, make in game adjustments, ETC... It may help in his next HC job at NE Wyoming junior college.
Reply/Quote
I am grateful for Marvin's contributions.

He stayed/ was retained 3 to 5 years too long.

It is healthy for his mental well being not to go out of his way to watch the Bengals.

He needs to move forward with his life. Bengals are no longer part of his life.

Best wishes to him and I hope he is incredibly successful in all of his future efforts.
Reply/Quote

He ought to watch some team , maybe he will learn how to game plan, make in game adjustments, ETC... It may help in his next HC job at NE Wyoming junior college.
Reply/Quote
He was here 10 years to long.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 10:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Small group?

That is not true. Also, I saw nothing saying it was the FO, he left it open to be FO and/or fans. 

He said "the players will be dear to me, but that's it"

Which implies that he will only miss the players. Which implies he didn't care for the city, the FO or the fans.

Is it possible he didn't really mean to say all that? Absolutely, but that's definitely how that statement should be interpreted.

(06-05-2019, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with you Fred. It is one more attempt (this thread) to trash ML whether the poster wants to admit it or not. It was not started to thank ML, that is certain.

I didn't see this as trashing Marvin at all. More trashing the FO, and maybe not even that. Seems OP was wondering if there was a rift between Marv and the Front Office. Not sure why we're twisting that and getting all defensive.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 12:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He said "the players will be dear to me, but that's it"

Which implies that he will only miss the players. Which implies he didn't care for the city, the FO or the fans.

Is it possible he didn't really mean to say all that? Absolutely, but that's definitely how that statement should be interpreted.

And, that is really the only safe answer that he can give.  Marvin is a lot of things, both good and bad, and one of those things is being careful what he says to media.  He's a football coach, it's universally acceptable for him to miss the players, as coaches coach players.  However, if he mentions his former employers in a positive or negative fashion, he's aware of how "hidden meanings" are read into otherwise innocuous statements.  For example if he said that he was going to miss the Brown family or the fans, it could be read that his heart isn't in his new job.  Just as if he said anything negative about either, it could be viewed as "don't hire this guy, he'll treat us the same way".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
who cares? move on....
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 12:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I didn't see this as trashing Marvin at all. More trashing the FO, and maybe not even that. Seems OP was wondering if there was a rift between Marv and the Front Office. Not sure why we're twisting that and getting all defensive.

Maybe its due to the OPs general posts and theme of those posts....

Of course there is a rift between marvin and the front office they just fired him.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 12:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I didn't see this as trashing Marvin at all. More trashing the FO

The OP called the front office "loyal" and accused Marvin of being disrespectful.

Did you even read it?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 12:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He said "the players will be dear to me, but that's it"

I didn't see this as trashing Marvin at all. More trashing the FO, and maybe not even that. Seems OP was wondering if there was a rift between Marv and the Front Office. Not sure why we're twisting that and getting all defensive.

That's what I gleaned from it.....just conversation during dead period.  The part that kinda makes it sound a little resentful it the "that's it" at the end of his statement.

For all of the grief Marv got on here and elsewhere, I haven't seen many that didn't express their gratitude for him dragging this franchise from the abyss once he was let go.  Hell, I even did. LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I would venture to say that Marvin will be drawn to his TV set at least once this season to watch at least one Bengal offensive or defensive play.

If he has NFL Redzone he will be forced to see look ins on Bengal games unless he looks away & hits Mute every time.

Who watches more Bengal plays on TV this year ?    Marvin  -or-  Hue
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin feels he let the organization down in some regards for not winning a playoff game at the very least.
hes human he does feel a degree of hurt.
I think in some ways the game has past him up.
he got us to this point. now its Zacs challenge
to make the Bengals a power again in the North
Reply/Quote

He didn't trash anything at all, not even the FO. Did you miss the part where he mentioned his relationship with the Brown family, Mike, and the friendship they've built? He said all of that as well right around the remarks about the players.

As far as the city is concerned, he did a lot for the city and helped a lot of people and kids through various foundations and community projects. He wouldn't have done all of that if he didn't care for the city, nor would he have kept re-upping his deals if he hated where he was.

I detest Marvin the head coach, but the guy has integrity and hasn't cried sour grapes or been negative, really. He's a class act of a person, no question there but people keep looking for dirt on him personally. Why? There's plenty to crap on his coaching performances, but as a man he's A+. Kind of like a certain QB everyone has an affinity for.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 02:16 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

I would venture to say that Marvin will be drawn to his TV set at least once this season to watch at least one Bengal offensive or defensive play.

If he has NFL Redzone he will be forced to see look ins on Bengal games unless he looks away & hits Mute every time.

Who watches more Bengal plays on TV this year ?    Marvin  -or-  Hue

Lewis will be to busy watching Sun Devils film
Reply/Quote
Why is this something we care about?

He got paid to be here and he's no longer paid to be here. He's gone. Dude can say whatever he wants. No skin off my nose.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 03:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Lewis will be to busy watching Sun Devils film

Lewis will have one eye on Sun Devils film, one eye on the Bengal game while communicating via yellow walkie talkie with Hue who will have both of his eyes on the Bengal game & telling Marvin what the Bengals should have done had he & Marvin been there on each play.    Tongue
Reply/Quote