Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Made In America
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/11/05/trump-who-urged-people-to-hire-american-secures-70-foreign-workers-for-mar-a-lago/?utm_term=.299877d991dd

Quote:Trump, who urged people to ‘hire American,’ secures 70 foreign workers for Mar-a-Lago

As winter approaches and the days get shorter, Florida is preparing for an influx of snowbirds, the nickname given to people who’d rather winter in the Sunshine State instead of, well, anywhere the temperature isn’t 83 degrees on Thanksgiving Day.

And with the tourists comes a temporary boost for the industries that serve them.

Those winter employment opportunities are typically menial and by definition temporary jobs that can be hard to fill. So Florida employers turn to immigrant labor by the thousands — people who are granted a temporary visa and spend a few months working in Florida. Demand meets supply, and beefed-up businesses hum along without much controversy.

Unless, of course, those businesses happen to be owned by the president of the United States — particularly one who has blasted companies for hiring immigrants over American workers.

President Trump recently won permission from the Labor Department to hire 70 cooks, maids and servers to work at his ritzy Mar-a-Lago Club for the tourist season, according to the Palm Beach Post. That’s six more than Trump hired last tourist season. He’s contributing to an influx of 2,159 immigrant workers snapping up the temporary jobs in Palm Beach County.

The county’s unemployment rate fell to 3.6 percent in September, according to the newspaper — the lowest level in a decade. And people ensconced in jobs with decent wages and long-term prospects are less likely to seek out the area’s most menial jobs during the winter months.

But for Trump, it’s a politically fraught issue.

As The Washington Post’s David A. Fahrenthold reported in July:

Trump built his campaign last year in part on an appeal to American workers angry that their jobs had been taken by immigrants or laborers overseas. In his inaugural address, Trump said that under his leadership the country would “follow two simple rules: buy American, and hire American.”

. . . Trump has celebrated American companies and American labor, including an event at the White House where the president climbed into the cab of an American-made firetruck.

This summer, in an official proclamation, the president dubbed July 17, 2017 “Made in America Day,” a time to “recognize the vital contributions of American workers and job creators to our Nation’s prosperity and strength.”

That same week, Mar-a-Lago was applying for H-2B visas to hire non-American workers
. Mar-a-Lago is only open during Palm Beach’s winter season, when members descend from colder climates.

Before being granted visas, Trump’s two Florida clubs — he also owns a golf course in Jupiter — had to show that no one else wanted the jobs. That included calling old employees and putting ads in the newspaper.

It’s unclear whether the Trump Organization had made an extra effort to try to fill the jobs.

In July, the club placed an ad on Page C8 of the Palm Beach Post: “3 mos recent & verifiable exp in fine dining/country club,” the ad said. “No tips,” Fahrenthold reported.

The ad, which ran twice, gave no email address, mailing address or phone number and instructed applicants to “Apply by fax.”

During a debate of Republican presidential candidates in 2016, Trump defended the practice:

“It’s very, very hard to get people. But other hotels do the exact same thing. . . . This is a procedure. It’s part of the law,” he said. “I take advantage of that. There’s nothing wrong with it. We have no choice.”

I can't decide what part of this is the most comical.

Applying for foreign worker visas during Made in America week.  Directing applicants to apply by fax without giving any contact info.  Or foreign workers earning $12-$14/hour as wait staff who don't get tips at a private club where the membership fee is $200,000.

Hell, no wonder all of poor Donald's employees have a terrible time with Obamacare-they have shitty jobs, with shitty pay, and an employer that offers shitty benefits that don't include health insurance.  But, remember it is the immigrants fault they are taking these jobs away from Americans, not the employer because as Trump put it, "We have no choice."
(11-06-2017, 04:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/11/05/trump-who-urged-people-to-hire-american-secures-70-foreign-workers-for-mar-a-lago/?utm_term=.299877d991dd

I can't decide what part of this is the most comical.

Applying for foreign worker visas during Made in America week.  Directing applicants to apply by fax without giving any contact info.  Or foreign workers earning $12-$14/hour as wait staff who don't get tips at a private club where the membership fee is $200,000.

Hell, no wonder all of poor Donald's employees have a terrible time with Obamacare-they have shitty jobs, with shitty pay, and an employer that offers shitty benefits that don't include health insurance.  But, remember it is the immigrants fault they are taking these jobs away from Americans, not the employer because as Trump put it, "We have no choice."

Applying for foreign worker visas during Made in America week.   
That one is definitely the most comical.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-06-2017, 07:00 PM)Dill Wrote:
Applying for foreign worker visas during Made in America week.   
That one is definitely the most comical.

I'm still shocked that people with a disposable income of $200K for a country club membership can't leave a damn 20% tip. And half the people here will be excuse it.
Funny that Trump is over in Japan telling them, they should build more cars in the U.S. when so many U.S. automakers don’t even do that.
(11-06-2017, 07:46 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Funny that Trump is over in Japan telling them, they should build more cars in the U.S. when so many U.S. automakers don’t even do that.

Or that around 75 percent of the Japanese cars bought here are mostly made here. Kentucky is home to Toyota's largest manufacturing facility in the world (or at least it was a few years ago), and Toyota does a lot of outreach with the Bluegrass to be a good corporate partner. 

Is there nobody on his staff that briefs him?
(11-06-2017, 08:30 PM)Benton Wrote: Or that around 75 percent of the Japanese cars bought here are mostly made here. Kentucky is home to Toyota's largest manufacturing facility in the world (or at least it was a few years ago), and Toyota does a lot of outreach with the Bluegrass to be a good corporate partner. 

Is there nobody on his staff that briefs him?

Now he’s encouraging Japan to import more U.S. military hardware, because “it’s the best in the world”. I can’t believe the number one export of the land of the free is death.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/05/trump-on-japanese-automakers-manufacturing-in-the-us.html
I can't wait for us to pay for him to go to Florida every weekend now that Mar a Lago is opening back up for the season.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-06-2017, 07:04 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm still shocked that people with a disposable income of $200K for a country club membership can't leave a damn 20% tip. And half the people here will be excuse it.

People with lots of money like to relax where they won't be bugged by hired help with their hands out. 

They didn't get to point where they could afford 200,000 a year for prestige golf by sharing their wealth.
(11-06-2017, 09:17 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Now he’s encouraging Japan to import more U.S. military hardware, because “it’s the best in the world”. I can’t believe the number one export of the land of the free is death.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/05/trump-on-japanese-automakers-manufacturing-in-the-us.html

Military hardware doesn't automatically mean death. That's a bit dramatic.

Missile defense systems.
Transport aircraft and helicopters.
Optics. (NVG/etc)
Communication systems.
Satellites/GPS.
Robotic prosthetics.
Engineering vehicles.
Bomb defusing robots.
Cyber Defense Hardware.
Ballistic vests.

Yes there's also a lot of guns/ammo/tanks/fighter jets/etc, but that's not the only thing US military hardware entails.

There's some REALLY cool shit they've been working on...
https://www.army.mil/article/34906/the_future_of_prosthetics_is_in_your_mind
Near full functionality robotic prosthetic limbs that function by training it to response off of surrounding muscles that move when you would have used your missing limb, and eventually your brain's activity.

I mean shit, man. There's some pretty great things in modern life that was a US Military product originally...
-Internet
-GPS
-Microwaves
-Duct Tape
-Synthetic Rubber (the US was cut off from it's natural rubber sources in WW2)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
I'll just put this one here as nothing has changed for Trump, his family, or his organization.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-is-selling-new-merchandise-made-in-china-and-bangladesh

Quote:Trump Is Selling New Merchandise Made in China and Bangladesh

[color=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.55)]The Trump Organization is at it again, making a buck off the president’s name and buying from overseas.[/color]

President Donald Trump’s company started selling a new line of Trump-branded merchandise this month and some of the products are manufactured overseas, The Daily Beast found.

The Trump Organization launched Trumpstore.com and sells a $32 Trump Golf hat made in Bangladesh and a $25 faux gold bouillion “TRUMP” coin bank made in China. The Trump Organization is still owned by the president and is managed by his sons, Eric and Donald Jr. (who promoted the opening on his Facebook page). It appears then that Trump is profiting off of foreign-made goods despite his promise to put “America first” when it comes to manufacturing.

The Trump Organization and the White House did not respond to requests for comment.

“Even though he’s taken some steps to separate himself from his business, we know that he can still receive reports about the Trump Organization and that he can directly profit from the sale of those goods,” said Larry Noble of the Campaign Legal Center, an ethics watchdog group in Washington, D.C.

Trump was criticized during the presidential campaign for bashing Mexico and China for “stealing” U.S. jobs even though his ties were made in Mexico and he applied for trademarks in China.

Moving into the White House hasn’t changed things though. While the Trump Store website registered by the Trump Organization in 2004, it only directed visitors to the shopping section of the website for Trump Tower in Manhattan until May 2017. In June, a verified Twitter account for the Trump Store was established and in November the website started as a stand-alone site.

More at the link.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I don't fault Trump for any of this chicanery. I fault the people who were duped into thinking Trump knowing how to make lots of money was somehow going to benefit or include them.
(12-04-2017, 02:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't fault Trump for any of this chicanery.  I fault the people who were duped into thinking Trump knowing how to make lots of money was somehow going to benefit or include them.

Yep.  I just can't convince the shop workers here that the owner isn't going to give them all raises next year because he got his taxes cut.  Or that our uptick in business has nothing to do with the POTUS no matter who it is.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-04-2017, 02:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yep.  I just can't convince the shop workers here that the owner isn't going to give them all raises next year because he got his taxes cut.  Or that our uptick in business has nothing to do with the POTUS no matter who it is.

I thought GOP wisdom was that you made more money by working harder, not because your boss gets more tax money back.  I'm confused now.