Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Margus Hunt
(03-02-2016, 03:52 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The thread was titled" who you thought would be the most improved player in 2014" or something similar. Hunt got about 80% of the vote...

Oh wait you were condescending to me again, tough guy you are behind those keys. Meh blocked[Image: double_middle_finger_emoticon2_by_tailsf...3i61g9.gif]

Lol

You phrased it like you were the only person who saw it coming. 
Reply/Quote
I knew it'd be a bad pick/bust immediately, but it might have even surpassed my expectations.

Imagine this, guys... Jason "Who's That" Allen? He had 3 solo tackles in his one year with the Bengals. Let me repeat that. JASON F'ING ALLEN's one year was more productive than Margus Hunt's 2015.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I hope they try him at TE. Or use him to replace Sanu at WR. Lots of athleticism there to work with.
Reply/Quote
Paulie said it's nut cutting time. Either he produces this year, or he's gone.
Reply/Quote
Didn't have a problem with the pick, and I had not problem with giving a couple of years to develop. He was even slowed a little by injuries 2 years ago. But he just has not worked out. If he shows up to camp and plays well then we keep him, but right now we need to be planning as if he will not make the team.

But just because Hunt failed, that does not mean we should never look at athletes that are new to football. The Lions got a Pro Bowl player in Ziggy Ansah. Steve Neal was a wrestler who never even played college football, but he started multiple Super Bowls for the Patriots. Stacy Andrews was a track athlete who only played a handful of snaps in college.

Hunt showed enough potential in college (First Team All Conference USA, career totals of 17 sacks, 28 TFL, and 14 blocked kicks) along with his freak athletic ability to deserve a second round pick. That is exactly where most experts had him slotted.
Reply/Quote
hopefully as much d talent is available this year, he's gone and we get someone to develop.
on the other hand, I really thought he would get booted last camp and we'd pick up someone off waivers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
At this point, when I see Hunt, all I see is a bull rush. The guy hasn't learned any other pass rushing moves. Seriously, the time has come to cut ties with him. We've already got one disappointment in Will Clarke and Hunt is looking worse than him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 09:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Paulie said it's nut cutting time. Either he produces this year, or he's gone.

Lol, that is because he's a free agent after this year.

That's not exactly the toughest time. You make it sound like Paul will cut the dude for not performing "nut cutting time"... but it's more giving a roster spot to a guy for four years, paying his entire contract, and then just not going after his services once he hits free agency. That tough stance.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Let him fight this one last camp. If he hasn't made significant improvement, adios. It's a shame because he is clearly such a physical stud. He still dominates tackles on bull rushes.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 11:00 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Ive gone to bat for Margus every year. It is getting a lot harder.

But like someone mentioned he wasnt even active every game. For comparison Shawn Williams is a guy we barely saw get any playing time. Only reason he was active was special teams. Until injuries happened he finally got extended playing time. Then all of sudden... You know what this guy is pretty good. 

Guenthers comments make it seem if he doesnt really take the next step he is gone though. Clarke is beating him in the age department. So if it came down to it i think clarke has the upper hand. If Gilberry comes back I would say Hunt is gone. We should be drafting a DE at some point.

The problem with that comparison is that it's much easier to break into the rotation on the d-line than it is to get significant snaps at safety when you have a really good player ahead of you. The Bengals did give Hunt a decent shot in 2014, when he had 187 snaps in 12 games, but he only produced 9 tackles and 1 sack.

It is what it is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 10:59 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You remember... that track and field guy who didn't really know how to play football, but people were saying would be the next J.J. Watt  Hilarious

Like in hard knocks, when their own defensive coordinator (Zimmer) said that?

I swung and miss pretty big on Hunt as well.  His tape at SMU was unbelievable.  I thought he was a steal where they drafted him.  I can only hope that injuries are what has significantly slowed his progression, but even when healthy he just hasn't shown very much.  
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 09:10 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: How long will the project continue? You'd think we'd see some progress by now but he seems pretty invisible out there the few times I've seen him. Maybe I just forgot and he contributed more then I realize.

It'd be cool if he could block some field goals at least.

Margus wont make it out of training camp this year. He's done absolutely nothing for us, and hasn't shown any signs of improvement. I hope we can trade him.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Perhaps the new D-Line coach (Jacob Burney) can get him to produce. I've never been impressed with Jay Hayes as a D-Line coach.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Like in hard knocks, when their own defensive coordinator (Zimmer) said that?

I swung and miss pretty big on Hunt as well.  His tape at SMU was unbelievable.  I thought he was a steal where they drafted him.  I can only hope that injuries are what has significantly slowed his progression, but even when healthy he just hasn't shown very much.  

The comparison was made purely from a physical perspective.
It meant literal shit because one was embarrassingly better than the other coming out of college anyways.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 11:24 AM)Stormborn Wrote: The comparison was made purely from a physical perspective.
It meant literal shit because one was embarrassingly better than the other coming out of college anyways.

I don't know.  Have you looked at all his college tape?  He was downright abusive to OTs and Gs.  Broke through double-teams, etc.  Watt was a unanimous first rounder, but Hunt was pretty much a second rounder on everyone's boards.  He was more inexperienced, but from a pure athleticism standpoint it wasn't the "embarrassingly better" description you provided.  

He clearly needed coaching on techniques.  Did he get it?  The Bengals aren't notorious for creating pass rushing DEs.  As a matter of fact, several have done much better after they left Cincinnati.  

I am still holding out hope for a breakthough season, but I sure wouldn't wager on that at this point.  
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 04:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know.  Have you looked at all his college tape?  He was downright abusive to OTs and Gs.  Broke through double-teams, etc.  Watt was a unanimous first rounder, but Hunt was pretty much a second rounder on everyone's boards.  He was more inexperienced, but from a pure athleticism standpoint it wasn't the "embarrassingly better" description you provided.  

He clearly needed coaching on techniques.  Did he get it?  The Bengals aren't notorious for creating pass rushing DEs.  As a matter of fact, several have done much better after they left Cincinnati.  

I am still holding out hope for a breakthough season, but I sure wouldn't wager on that at this point.  

He abused people from pure physical superiority. Then the opposition got better.

And he didn't.
Reply/Quote
In regards to Hunt and this is speculation on my part, he comes across to me as a guy that worked his ass off in college to get paid a little in the NFL and once that happened he quit trying so hard. Simply put he wanted to get a nice little chunk of change before flying home without any major injuries. I come to this conclusion from his general body language and the fact he has been so terrible. Keep in mind he isn't the only player I feel has ever done something like this nor will he be the last. Margus simply never loved the game.

Again, all of this is conjecture.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 05:01 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: In regards to Hunt and this is speculation on my part, he comes across to me as a guy that worked his ass off in college to get paid a little in the NFL and once that happened he quit trying so hard. Simply put he wanted to get a nice little chunk of change before flying home without any major injuries. I come to this conclusion from his general body language and the fact he has been so terrible. Keep in mind he isn't the only player I feel has ever done something like this nor will he be the last. Margus simply never loved the game.

Again, all of this is conjecture.

I bet you are right, his lack of passion for his profession is most likely the problem.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 04:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote:  The Bengals aren't notorious for creating pass rushing DEs.  As a matter of fact, several have done much better after they left Cincinnati.  

Who are these "several" pass rushing DEs who got better after they left Cincinnati?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 04:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know.  Have you looked at all his college tape?  He was downright abusive to OTs and Gs.  Broke through double-teams, etc.  Watt was a unanimous first rounder, but Hunt was pretty much a second rounder on everyone's boards.  He was more inexperienced, but from a pure athleticism standpoint it wasn't the "embarrassingly better" description you provided.  

He played in Conference USA.  It's not like he was going up against all star, NFL ready talent every week.  When he got to the NFL, and had to face a higher level of competitor, he has suffered mightily.  It's simple... he could dominate at the college level just because he was bigger and faster than his competition.  Not so at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote